• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
What's the best way to test if gsync is enabled in a game - apart from checking for tearing, obviously.

I get the little LG notification pop up about instant game response has been enabled top right - is that confirming VRR is on? So basically gsync compatible?

Is there a way to see the refresh rate being used by the C9 panel in real time at all via the panel itself?

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
What's the best way to test if gsync is enabled in a game - apart from checking for tearing, obviously.

I get the little LG notification pop up about instant game response has been enabled top right - is that confirming VRR is on? So basically gsync compatible?

Is there a way to see the refresh rate being used by the C9 panel in real time at all via the panel itself?
You could use RTS to limit framerate to 90fps and pan the camera with controller to see if its smooth and not tearing.

Also there is a option in the control panel to have a little green marker on the screen that shows that G-sync is active, at least there used to be.

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
You could use RTS to limit framerate to 90fps and pan the camera with controller to see if its smooth and not tearing.

Also there is a option in the control panel to have a little green marker on the screen that shows that G-sync is active, at least there used to be.

Good shout - Im sure i remember the little icon in the corner too. My monitor is a bit different as its an LG too but it has a little indicator in the GUI showing " Gsync ON " which is handy!

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
The Gsync indicator works great. I think just some engines/games really dont seem to work well with Gsync and you get a slight frame pacing judder (talking about Mafia Definitive Edition) then you put Control on with everything ultra and its absolute butter even though its going from 68-83 fps or so.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
The Gsync indicator works great. I think just some engines/games really dont seem to work well with Gsync and you get a slight frame pacing judder (talking about Mafia Definitive Edition) then you put Control on with everything ultra and its absolute butter even though its going from 68-83 fps or so.
Maybe look into Special K?

Some games say fullscreen but they are not proper fullscreen and Special K allows flip mode which makes G-sync work with games that dont do proper fullscreen. G-Sync can be weird with borderless window.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
FYI UK LG OLED '9' series owners, the latest firmware is on the website which allegedly fixes G-Sync/VRR but there is no mention of that in the patch notes.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA

Not sure if this trick works on the C9, but on the CX you can spam the green button on the remote and it gives you info about the video signal. It will say VRR when GSync is enabled and give some detail about the current framerate (although you have to do some math to figure out what the FPS is).

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And your PC, and the TV. I mean unplug it all. Trust me, I did it personally, it works.
Why would I need to unplug my PC... That seems really odd. Turn it off maybe. But a bios reset or complete powering down? Also I'm not sure why it would affect the data coming out my PC's HDMI 2.1. But I'll try it if I have issues. I really just need to test the 4k@120hz after.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Playing gears 5 in 4K @ 120HZ with g-sync enabled and 10bit HDR truly is something to behold on this TV.

Can't say I've had any issues but a few things that you should always check:

- Latest nvidia drivers (can use DDU to fresh install)
- Latest LG firmware (can be downloaded via USB if needed)
- A good hdmi 2.1 cable that is less than 10ft (I use zeskit from amazon, it's perfect)
- Enable g-sync fullscreen and windowed via nvidia cpl
- Enable v-sync via nvidia cpl
- Enable set low latecy to Ultra via nvidia cpl
- Enable 4K/120hz 10bit RGB full color depth via nvidia cpl
- Enable HDR via Windows 10 display settings
- Enable game mode in Windows 10
- Enable GPU scheduling in Windows 10
- Enable VRR in Windows 10 settings
- Enable game mode picture setting, instant game responce, and enhanced color via LG control panel
- Rename HDMI input to PC

PS: Do not use a bluetooth headset with the TV as it turns many features off in PC mode due to increased latency

This is everything I've done and have had no issues thus far. Yes it seems like a laundry list of things, but most of these are set it and forget it.

Last edited:

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Have you checked your TV? I got it ota in Ireland. We're rarely ahead
Sorry, only just seen this response. OTA wasn't picking it up for whatever reason.

For anyone interested: LG B9 with latest F/W + 3070 + 8K cable Vincent Teah/HDTVTest recommended is wokring fine for me at 4K120 10bit + HDR. I am still getting the VRR bug, though.

This is everything I've done and have had no issues thus far. Yes it seems like a laundry list of things, but most of these are set it and forget it.
Are you not getting the VRR flickering bug? i've not done *everything* in your post, but I do have G-Sync engaged and the gamma bug is still present.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry, only just seen this response. OTA wasn't picking it up for whatever reason.

For anyone interested: LG B9 with latest F/W + 3070 + 8K cable Vincent Teah/HDTVTest recommended is wokring fine for me at 4K120 10bit + HDR. I am still getting the VRR bug, though.

Are you not getting the VRR flickering bug? i've not done *everything* in your post, but I do have G-Sync engaged and the gamma bug is still present.

Vincent did a video about it yesterday, saying that it's not a bug as such and won't be fixed via software.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Vincent did a video about it yesterday, saying that it's not a bug as such and won't be fixed via software.
Yeah but 'working as intended is too long' :P.

I watched the vid last night so was half asleep, but surely the charge can be changed with a new firmware? No doubt something that will be fixed for 11 series 😅

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah but 'working as intended is too long' :P.

I watched the vid last night so was half asleep, but surely the charge can be changed with a new firmware? No doubt something that will be fixed for 11 series 😅

It needs additional processors or hardware. It's exactly what the gsync module solves in the original gsync displays

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I only get flickering when there's a dark blue/red/green background, but not black. It behaves exactly the same as my Samsung G7 in that regard. If you have Game pass, Crusader Kings 3 showing water for 50% of the top screen always triggers it.

Samsung managed to fix theirs in software it seems.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
I only get flickering when there's a dark blue/red/green background, but not black. It behaves exactly the same as my Samsung G7 in that regard. If you have Game pass, Crusader Kings 3 showing water for 50% of the top screen always triggers it.

Samsung managed to fix theirs in software it seems.
I've only tried one game but this exactly how I was noticing it. It was flickering for me in LoL in-game store where you buy items which is two shades of dark blue.

Not that I need G-Sync in League of Legends mind.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
That VRR flickering is making me second guess getting one. I was after all planning to use Gsync heavily for PC gaming.
This also appears to be a different issue than the gamma behavior? Or is the flicker the result of said flaw?

But in the end I guess it's just a vicious cycle where C11 might fix that but then there are other issues for that model popping up 6 months in...

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That VRR flickering is making me second guess getting one. I was after all planning to use Gsync heavily for PC gaming.
This also appears to be a different issue than the gamma behavior? Or is the flicker the result of said flaw?

But in the end I guess it's just a vicious cycle where C11 might fix that but then there are other issues for that model popping up 6 months in...

It's usually the new features, so there should be nothing in the horizon gaming related that would trip up a future TV if they can sort this.

It seems to be fairly common in GSync Compatible monitors too.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I watched that DF analysis on Series X Gears 5 and John mentioned running it in 120fps VRR on the CX and didn't mention any flickering. So fingers crossed it's just GSync specifically? Feel like it would be something he would call out immediately.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah, I watched that DF analysis on Series X Gears 5 and John mentioned running it in 120fps VRR on the CX and didn't mention any flickering. So fingers crossed it's just GSync specifically? Feel like it would be something he would call out immediately.

I don't think so, it's supposed to be less pronounced the closer to 120Hz you are. I haven't watched the DF video yet, how solid is the framerate?

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ah, that could be it. It's pretty close to rock solid, couple of dips here and there of no more than 5 fps.

Right. The flickering is caused by the gamma curve being set for 120Hz, so when VRR makes it dip far below that, the near-black lighting is noticeably off. Is something is close or at 120Hz it's totally fine even with VRR

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Tech ignoramus here. Does any of this suggest that my C9 won't do 120 for these new consoles? That would suck since it's the reason I got it.

fobbyBro

Jan 19, 2018
I have the CX and just got a 3080 yesterday. I noticed that the Gsync is really choppy at high frame rates. I tested with rocket league and if i go over the monitors refresh rate it's butter smooth, but once i go below (anything under 120 fps) then the smooth motion becomes noticeably choppy. I tested different frame rate locks and if i bring it all the way down to 75 fps then it becomes butter smooth again. seems like 80 to 119 fps is not as good as anything below or above. Is this a known issue. Have others been experiencing this?

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
I have the CX and just got a 3080 yesterday. I noticed that the Gsync is really choppy at high frame rates. I tested with rocket league and if i go over the monitors refresh rate it's butter smooth, but once i go below (anything under 120 fps) then the smooth motion becomes noticeably choppy. I tested different frame rate locks and if i bring it all the way down to 75 fps then it becomes butter smooth again. seems like 80 to 119 fps is not as good as anything below or above. Is this a known issue. Have others been experiencing this?

I play rocket league limited to 120 with g sync and it works fine. You set the input to PC right?

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Known problem, fix by end of the year:

www.forbes.com

LG Pledges To Fix Latest OLED TV Nvidia RTX 30 Glitch

The stuttering CAN be solved

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this an issue also for the C9? I'm currently on a 2070 super so I'm only doing 1440p > 60hz and stuttering on higher framerates is not an issue for me. Will it be if I get a 3080? If so, only for 4K or for 1440p as well?

I believe it is only on the CX, I haven't had this problem at all on my C9 and haven't heard of it on anything except the CX

arnehelst

Oct 28, 2017
I've discovered a new issue. Not sure if it was there before or a new thing. When using a Hamas Ultra HD 3m cable, and run at 120hz on a c9, a small "out of sync" stripe appears in the left side of the monitor. Does not appear at 60hz. Anyone else noticed this?

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
They tell you on the download instructions. You download the file, extract it, and place it on a usb flash drive in a folder named exactly what they say. Plug into TV and TV knows exactly what to do.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Playing gears 5 in 4K @ 120HZ with g-sync enabled truly is something to behold on this TV.

Can't say I've had any issues but a few things that you should always check:

- Latest nvidia drivers (can use DDU to fresh install)
- Latest LG firmware (can be downloaded via USB if needed)
- A good hdmi 2.1 cable that is less than 10ft (I use zeskit from amazon, it's perfect)
- Enable g-sync fullscreen and windowed via nvidia cpl
- Enable v-sync via nvidia cpl
- Enable set low latecy to Ultra via nvidia cpl
- Enable 4K/120hz 10bit RGB full color depth via nvidia cpl
- Enable HDR via Windows 10 display settings
- Enable game mode in Windows 10
- Enable GPU scheduling in Windows 10
- Enable VRR in Windows 10 settings
- Enable game mode picture setting, instant game responce, and enhanced color via LG control panel
- Rename HDMI input to PC

PS: Do not use a bluetooth headset with the TV as it turns many features off in PC mode due to increased latency

Thanks for this handy checklist, I'm just about to hook my RTX 3080 up to the CX. However, my HDMI 2.1 cable is 15 feet. Is there a reason you said it should be under 10 feet?

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Just upgrade it my rtx 2070 to an 3070 and gsync is not smooth anymore.... Been reading the thread and it seems its a known issue with the 30 series? Is that so?

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Thanks for this handy checklist, I'm just about to hook my RTX 3080 up to the CX. However, my HDMI 2.1 cable is 15 feet. Is there a reason you said it should be under 10 feet?

I believe its a limit due to the ammount of bandwidth being pushed.

For longer runs you would need an optical hdmi 2.1 cable which would be much more expensive. I believe those are in the range of $150+ depending on lenght.

Zeskit (a trusted brand) claims that there 16 foot 2.1 cable can work but I am not able to confirm.