• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JarrodL

Oct 27, 2017
Does CX series also have issues with G-Sync (or anything else, for that matter) at the moment?
Looking to replace my old C7 with OLED55CXR soon hopefully.

Rente

Oct 31, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Yes, the CX/GX has also issues with G-Sync, just different ones.
G-Sync works since the latest OTA firmware update without flickering, but has issues over 100 FPS at 10 Bit, 120Hz and 4K (introduces stuttering).

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, the CX/GX has also issues with G-Sync, just different ones.
G-Sync works since the latest OTA firmware update without flickering, but has issues over 100 FPS at 10 Bit, 120Hz and 4K (introduces stuttering).
I'm quite sure I'm at 10 bit, and I've been playing Forza Horizon 4 at 4k/HDR/120hz. Is the issue you've described widespread? I can't say I've seen this yet.

Oct 28, 2017
B9 UK user here and tried to request the beta firmware and LG's response wasn't to encouraging,

"Good Morning Robert,

Thank you for your email today, I hope you are well.

I have had a look into this for you and I can see that there will be an update rolled out in the upcoming months. As an Aftersales department we do not receive this update to send out to customers nor do we receive a release date for these, so I would not be able to send this out to you. I would recommend that you have your Automatic updates turned on, so that when released, your TV receives this and updates automatically. To do this you will need to go to ( Home > Settings > General > About this TV > Allow Automatic Updates).

I hope this makes sense and if you have any further questions regarding your unit, then please do let us know and we will be more than happy to help. If you do wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact us on 0344 847 5454 or if you do wish to respond to this email, please do so by clicking on the "Save" button on the response page.

I hope my email has answered your query and assisted you today; I would really appreciate your feedback. If you have a few moments to spare, please may you complete the short survey at the bottom of this email which is based solely on my support. This is a score specifically on my email to you today and whether I have assisted you sufficiently."

:-(

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
You have to turn off Gsync completely.

And nope, it won't work with the resolution and framerate settings you had on the previous generation cards. Gsync with 30 series on any setting with the C9 seems completely broken, at least in my experience.

I'm fairly certain I had Gsync turned off. I was also only doing 4k/60, it didnt give me the option of going to 120hz, so making me wonder if my HDMI settings are wrong, or if the cable is not working.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
It will when it comes to dolby vision hdr which is 12 bit colours. I think it can still output 4:2:2 at 12 bit so should be OK for xbsx when it get the dolby vision hdr support for games. Some people argue that the panels are 10bit anyway but outputting 12bit colour can helps with colour banding even on 10bits display I believe. So unless LG confirm 2021 oled will be on 12 bit panels you won't be missing out anything not having to wait a few more months for ces 2021 to see what's coming.
I want to understand this. The CX is 10 bit panel. What's the logic, you don't trust the source to pick the right 10 bit dynamic range, you want it to send a 12 bit signal and have the TV pick the right 10 bit range? So basically the TV's downconversion is better than the source?

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I want to understand this. The CX is 10 bit panel. What's the logic, you don't trust the source to pick the right 10 bit dynamic range, you want it to send a 12 bit signal and have the TV pick the right 10 bit range? So basically the TV's downconversion is better than the source?
Its suppose to help eliminate colour banding even outputting a 12bit signal on a 10bit display. There is a wider range of colour from the source material. I have never seen any sample but that's what I kept reading. I think HDTV test may have touched on it on one of his LG Cx 40gb/s hdmi 2.1 limitation talk. I'm sure some expert here can explain better.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
B9 UK user here and tried to request the beta firmware and LG's response wasn't to encouraging,

"Good Morning Robert,

Thank you for your email today, I hope you are well.

I have had a look into this for you and I can see that there will be an update rolled out in the upcoming months. As an Aftersales department we do not receive this update to send out to customers nor do we receive a release date for these, so I would not be able to send this out to you. I would recommend that you have your Automatic updates turned on, so that when released, your TV receives this and updates automatically. To do this you will need to go to ( Home > Settings > General > About this TV > Allow Automatic Updates).

I hope this makes sense and if you have any further questions regarding your unit, then please do let us know and we will be more than happy to help. If you do wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact us on 0344 847 5454 or if you do wish to respond to this email, please do so by clicking on the "Save" button on the response page.

I hope my email has answered your query and assisted you today; I would really appreciate your feedback. If you have a few moments to spare, please may you complete the short survey at the bottom of this email which is based solely on my support. This is a score specifically on my email to you today and whether I have assisted you sufficiently."

:-(
C9 US user. I tried as well. Got roughly the same spiel. Blah blah you're going to have to wait until november blah blah blah. Lame.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Anyone with a C9/E9 have the issue where 4:2:2 disappeared as an option? When I had my 2070 super installed, I could choose 4:2:2 at 12 bit, but on my 3080 I only get RGB and 4:4:4 at 120hz. At 60hz I only get RGB, 4:4:4, and 4:2:0.

jim2011

Oct 27, 2017
Downloaded the 5.00.03 firmware from the LG Korea link and installed via USB. Everything is working great now after a few reboots/unplugging power. I highly recommend everyone do that rather than go into Engineering mode.

Chapo

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Which HDMI cable are you using?

I bought a 3ft, yes 3ft (not meters) Zeskit when everyone was raving about it and now apparently is not working very well?

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
Downloaded the 5.00.03 firmware from the LG Korea link and installed via USB. Everything is working great now after a few reboots/unplugging power. I highly recommend everyone do that rather than go into Engineering mode.
Same. Upgraded, removed power from TV for ~15min. Powered back on and worked for me on the first go. Initially, I was seeing some flickering but it went away. Not sure if it was a time based thing, or it went away because I switched the input to PC mode. Either way, tested various games and everything is working great. Finally!

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone with a C9/E9 have the issue where 4:2:2 disappeared as an option? When I had my 2070 super installed, I could choose 4:2:2 at 12 bit, but on my 3080 I only get RGB and 4:4:4 at 120hz. At 60hz I only get RGB, 4:4:4, and 4:2:0.
Just checked, Yeah only see RBG or 4:4:4.

Which HDMI cable are you using?

I bought a 3ft, yes 3ft (not meters) Zeskit when everyone was raving about it and now apparently is not working very well?

Zeskit works for me 16' gets 120hz/4k/HDR/12bit/Gsync.

Chapo

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Zeskit works for me 16' gets 120hz/4k/HDR/12bit/Gsync.
Just did the USB Korean update.

Got a little tense when 1/4th of the screen was a black bar despite having both the PC and TV unplugged for 10 minutes. Restarted my PC, labeled HDMI 1 to "PC", unplugged the tv again for a few minutes and it has been working like a charm.

I can also now confirm the Zeskit 8k HDMI along with the Korean update works incredibly. Feels like I'm just now getting to experience my 3090 despite having it for 2 weeks.

4k, 120fps, HDR, 12bit, Gsync, Instant Game response all indeed work flawlessly now. Not experiencing any stutter past 100fps neither so far.

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. same link I posted.
So apparently LG Korea posted the new firmware on their site:

And it's supposed to be compatible with US sets? Don't try anything till confirmed, just relaying the info.

Edit: Installed on my US C9 and working perfectly so far. 4K/120 @ RGB Full 10-bit + G-Sync

To add to this, after FW update was complete, I disconnected the TV from power for about 10-15min, and removed the HDMI connection, pretty sure the HDMI part was unnecessary. Reconnected HDMI and powered TV back on. Once I was at my desktop, I changed the input to "PC." Using the Zeskit 6ft cable, and did not experience any issues after a few hours of playing/tinkering.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
Yep. same link I posted.

To add to this, after FW update was complete, I disconnected the TV from power for about 10-15min, and removed the HDMI connection, pretty sure the HDMI part was unnecessary. Reconnected HDMI and powered TV back on. Once I was at my desktop, I changed the input to "PC." Using the Zeskit 6ft cable, and did not experience any issues after a few hours of playing/tinkering.

did you install using usb?

Chapo

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Asking again because I've never installed firmware from a different region before, and I would love to do this today if possible.
Doesn't look like there's any downside atm.

It's listed on the Korean website, but it's meant for the PUA model of C9, meaning American sets.

There are several on this thread and the AVS forum that have done it and other than the tricky part of disconnecting the tv and pc for 10-20 minutes, or until it works, it's great!

Of course, assuming you have an HDMI cable that is true 48gbps. Also not sure how important it is to label your HDMI input as "PC" (without quotations).

I took all those steps and I have had no issues.

Last edited:

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
Asking again because I've never installed firmware from a different region before, and I would love to do this today if possible.
My understanding is that the firmware is interchangeable between the 2 regions. So even after flashing this version, you should be able to update to a US release, whenever there is a newer version. They are supposed to be the same.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Do we have any idea why the Korean Update doesn't work in the UK/EU yet? Have we heard any sort of ETA from EU LG customer services when we can expect the firmware to roll out here?

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
is this purely a gsync issue? or VRR in general? is it likely to affect ps5/xsx if they use VRR?

my CX just got the 3.11.25 update.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
is this purely a gsync issue? or VRR in general? is it likely to affect ps5/xsx if they use VRR?

my CX just got the 3.11.25 update.
If Gsync is all up and running fine . Then VRR should me good to go. VRR has worked since launch with Xbox One S/X , but there hasn't been any 4K/120hz sources to try

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are already versions ahead of this preview version, so I suspect that there may be features disabled or things not working as intended - so they are waiting to clear that newer version
Fingers crossed we get it before cyberpunk. I'm doing 1440@120hz still on the 3080. I have been getting some odd signal noise, color distortions and such on the 3080 I didn't get on my previous cards. Well find out if it's just the card or 3080 in general soon as I have a TUF that I'm switching to from Gigabyte and my friend is getting my Gigabyte.

Sep 21, 2019
Are You also on latest c9 and nvidia driver? I've been having good gsync on a Belkik cable with occasional glitch. But sometimes I still have to turn off hdmi deep color and turn it back on

Yea on latest driver. Thr experience is mostly flawless aside from a brief flash when I open chrome or a new window for thr first time after I turn on the computer.

BRING ON CYBERPUNK.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Just did the USB Korean update.

Got a little tense when 1/4th of the screen was a black bar despite having both the PC and TV unplugged for 10 minutes. Restarted my PC, labeled HDMI 1 to "PC", unplugged the tv again for a few minutes and it has been working like a charm.

I can also now confirm the Zeskit 8k HDMI along with the Korean update works incredibly. Feels like I'm just now getting to experience my 3090 despite having it for 2 weeks.

4k, 120fps, HDR, 12bit, Gsync, Instant Game response all indeed work flawlessly now. Not experiencing any stutter past 100fps neither so far.
Nice downloading the firmware and going to try it out. Do you happen to use Dolby Atmos? is that said to work at 120Hz? I can get it to work when I change the fps to 60 but doesn't when set to 120 for some reason. Got the Zeskit 6 foot cable as well and length seemed to have been the issue(downsized from 16ft version). Not sure if this is known issue with the pre gsync fix firmware, but happens with gsync off. Going to test after installing the update to see if it may resolve.

Edit: just realized the 77 inch model is different(C9PUB) from the presumably 65 and lower versions. Trying to scour the Korean site, but not looking too good. Going to hold off in that case just to be safe. Boo.

Last edited: