• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

curtismyhero

Aug 29, 2018
Got my 3090 in yesterday, but the lack of the "consumer" FW update going out to the C9 really bugs me. I want 4k/120fps w/ gsync & hdr, but the thought of going into engineering mode and bricking a very expensive tv legit stalls me. That, and it doesn't appear to be an easy quick way to get the fw without utilizing the engineering steps. C'mon LG wtf!

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, with these issues fixed, will there be any other drawbacks of the CX? I read something about it cannot do 12 bit or something about 4:4:4. I am not sure if these will be an issue with the Series X.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, with these issues fixed, will there be any other drawbacks of the CX? I read something about it cannot do 12 bit or something about 4:4:4. I am not sure if these will be an issue with the Series X.

12 bit isn't going to be an issue because the panel (like basically all consumer panels) is only 10 bit.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
It will when it comes to dolby vision hdr which is 12 bit colours. I think it can still output 4:2:2 at 12 bit so should be OK for xbsx when it get the dolby vision hdr support for games. Some people argue that the panels are 10bit anyway but outputting 12bit colour can helps with colour banding even on 10bits display I believe. So unless LG confirm 2021 oled will be on 12 bit panels you won't be missing out anything not having to wait a few more months for ces 2021 to see what's coming.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It will when it comes to dolby vision hdr which is 12 bit colours. I think it can still output 4:2:2 at 12 bit so should be OK for xbsx when it get the dolby vision hdr support for games. Some people argue that the panels are 10bit anyway but outputting 12bit colour can helps with colour banding even on 10bits display I believe. So unless LG confirm 2021 oled will be on 12 bit panels you won't be missing out anything not having to wait a few more months for ces 2021 to see what's coming.

As far as I'm aware, no Dolby Vision games render out in 12 bit

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
Is it a common problem that 3080 cards and the CX have handshake problems? I almost always have to unplug and re-plug the HDMI cable on my PC before the TV gets a signal. I've tried various different orders of turning things on or switching inputs, but nothing else seems to work reliably.

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is it a common problem that 3080 cards and the CX have handshake problems? I almost always have to unplug and re-plug the HDMI cable on my PC before the TV gets a signal. I've tried various different orders of turning things on or switching inputs, but nothing else seems to work reliably.

www.youtube.com

LG OLEDs SERIOUS issue potential FIX! ALL owners need to watch.

Thanks to you guys there seems to be a potential fix/work around for the issue effecting LG OLED TV's. Issue comes when connecting an external device via HDM...

Disable autostart in the general settings and you shouldn't have any issues. I did this a week ago when I first got my CX77 and everything works fine.

Oct 27, 2017
Got my 3090 in yesterday, but the lack of the "consumer" FW update going out to the C9 really bugs me. I want 4k/120fps w/ gsync & hdr, but the thought of going into engineering mode and bricking a very expensive tv legit stalls me. That, and it doesn't appear to be an easy quick way to get the fw without utilizing the engineering steps. C'mon LG wtf!
There is another method. Look at the previous two pages.

Fliep

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
So will there be always big problems like this when a new Nvidia-card launches? I got a C9 recently because I wanted to have a gsync screen and want to upgrade my pc when the next generation of nvidia cards hits, but seeing how it's a big problem with this generation I am fearing the worst.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
So will there be always big problems like this when a new Nvidia-card launches? I got a C9 recently because I wanted to have a gsync screen and want to upgrade my pc when the next generation of nvidia cards hits, but seeing how it's a big problem with this generation I am fearing the worst.

Probably not.l These are the first HDMI 2.1 video cards right? It's very possible that the LG firmware updates may be necessary for the AMD cards about to launch as well.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
While i am surprised more testing and coordination wasnt put into this between LG and NVIDIA, HDMI 2.1 is rather cutting edge technology (48 Gbps is no joke- 10 gig Ethernet is barely approaching mainstream price points): you need the TV, av receiver, cable, and video source to work in sync and early adopter bugs are to be expected. Consumer AV standards are also notoriously fickle. I'm sure the situation will be much better in a few months.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it was Nvidias problem at all. It seems like LG wasn't ready. As soon as I got the newest LG firmware update everything worked.

Oct 27, 2017
You would think there that they would probably work a little more closely though knowing this was going to happen eventually.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
www.youtube.com

LG OLEDs SERIOUS issue potential FIX! ALL owners need to watch.

Thanks to you guys there seems to be a potential fix/work around for the issue effecting LG OLED TV's. Issue comes when connecting an external device via HDM...

Disable autostart in the general settings and you shouldn't have any issues. I did this a week ago when I first got my CX77 and everything works fine.

I've already turned that off and still have the issue. :-(

I really hate HDMI, CEC and everything else. Yesterday I also had some weird issues with eARC, where the receiver and TV seemed to be in an endless loop, causing sound to turn back and forth between TV and speakers once every second, and my PC wouldn't let me configure Sound at all anymore. It's all so unreliable and highly depending on maker combinations in your setup.

curtismyhero

Aug 29, 2018
There is another method. Look at the previous two pages.

I'm assuming you are referring to the OTA fw being sent via connecting with LG chat? I should have clarified that this is what I meant by a not having an easily accessible/deployed version of the firmware that's "ready". But you know you only live once so I'm going to go ahead and see how long the LG chat method takes.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming you are referring to the OTA fw being sent via connecting with LG chat? I should have clarified that this is what I meant by a not having an easily accessible/deployed version of the firmware that's "ready". But you know you only live once so I'm going to go ahead and see how long the LG chat method takes.
I spoke with them online late Monday evening and it showed up Thursday evening of last week. On the other hand some people spoke and did not get anything over the last 2 weeks. So ?!? But the fact that they're actually pushing it out means that something has to be around the corner sooner or later you would think.

curtismyhero

Aug 29, 2018
I spoke with them online late Monday evening and it showed up Thursday evening of last week. On the other hand some people spoke and did not get anything over the last 2 weeks. So ?!? But the fact that they're actually pushing it out means that something has to be around the corner sooner or later you would think.

In hindsight I probably should have requested this update while waiting to get my hands on this dang 3090, lol.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
So, I downloaded the 03.11.25 for my 65" CX a week or so ago and since have had a couple issues. It works at 4k 120hz, but sometimes when I turn on the pc it shows no signal. Have to hard boot the pc and it always works the 2nd time. Also, I'm noticing when in a game, especially noticeable in dark scenes, I get flashes of staticky-looking white verticals lines happening every few seconds. Could this cable be the problem maybe?: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075N83B9X?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

If so, what is everyone using for high speed hdmi cables that support 4k@120?

Edit: Also, FWIW, I have the MSI Ventus 3080.

i had this problem:

if that's the same vertical flicker, make sure your HDMI port on your TV is labeled as PC. 100% solved my issue.

Gouty

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind waiting for an over the air update but has LG confirmed its coming for the c9?

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've already turned that off and still have the issue. :-(

I really hate HDMI, CEC and everything else. Yesterday I also had some weird issues with eARC, where the receiver and TV seemed to be in an endless loop, causing sound to turn back and forth between TV and speakers once every second, and my PC wouldn't let me configure Sound at all anymore. It's all so unreliable and highly depending on maker combinations in your setup.

What HDMI cables are you using? And what is the eARC port outputting to?

I have a two year old Denon receiver and got this eARC device.
ThenAudio.com

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Funnily enough I've been having handshake issues ever since I got my new 2.1 hdmi cable and the new firmware last week. Not even directly on the TV either. I often don't turn my pc off at night to let updates go through etc. Well since last week every time I go turn on my regular display port monitor in the morning after it's been left on it just gives no display and I have to unplug it at the wall for 5+ mins to let it reset... I dunno if it's trying to initiate gsync while the TV is off and it's getting super confused and crashes or what.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You'll need to activate HDR int he windows settings for games to be able to switch to HdR . Do this before booting a game.
There are exceptions, but this is the most foolproof way of having them behave properly.

Also, full screen exclusive where possible

I've seen this advice given out before, but so far for every HDR game I've tried, admittedly not a lot, it switched to HDR automatically regardless of my Windows settings. Battlefield V, Battlefront II, and Destiny 2 all did

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I've seen this advice given out before, but so far for every HDR game I've tried, admittedly not a lot, it switched to HDR automatically regardless of my Windows settings. Battlefield V, Battlefront II, and Destiny 2 all did
It depends on which DX version is being used : DX11 does it , DX12 titles I believe can't

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
Certain games just require the Windows toggle before HDR is even exposed in the game itself. Just to name a few: Horizon: Zero Dawn, Forza Horizon 4, Divinity Original Sin 2, RDR2, Warframe. All require HDR to be enabled before launching the game.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Do we know already if 4K/120 will also work with the next gen consoles with the C9? I mean they patched this for G-Sync already so there shouldn't be a problem, right?

But so far there was no patch for that?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Do we know already if 4K/120 will also work with the next gen consoles by now with the C9? I mean they patches this for G-Sync already so there shouldn't be a problem, right?

There is no technical reason gsync would work and VRR wouldn't.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

Yeah technically, I know. And the CX can this out of the box, but there was a reason the C9 needed a patch for G-Sync cause it wasn't unlocked and there was months and months of speculation if the TV can do that out of the box or not, people said 1440p/120 max, other said no 4K would work, and if not, if they will ever patch it in, with LGs history of not patching old gens.

Technically, we know the TV is capable of that, but there were other questions that needed to be answered.

Oct 27, 2017

Do we know already if 4K/120 will also work with the next gen consoles with the C9? I mean they patched this for G-Sync already so there shouldn't be a problem, right?

Yeah technically, I know. And the CX can this out of the box, but there was a reason the C9 needed a patch for G-Sync cause it wasn't unlocked and there was months and months of speculation if the TV can do that out of the box or not, people said 1440p/120 max, other said no 4K would work, and if not, if they will ever patch it in, with LGs history of not patching old gens.

Technically, we know the TV is capable of that, but there were other questions that needed to be answered.
Sorry, see below that is on a C9 with my Xbox One X. Is that new? I have 04.90.33 installed and the new dashboard.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
m5UIxkV.jpg

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

I mean, that's if it can accept a 4K 120hz signal (and then you can turn on gsync)
And it has supported VRR since launch (this works with Xbox One currently) that it would be strange it wouldn't accept it at 4K /120hz. As gsync and vrr are the same signal.

The speculation was purely driven by Rtings not testing it and listing it at 60hz only and then Digital foundry treating that as fact in another video.

Oct 27, 2017
Is what new? The instant game response banner?
Yes when connected to an XBOX with a C9? Was that supported before?

EDIT: NM I guess so.

From RTINGS.com

Update 12/12/2019: We retested the C9 with the latest firmware, and it no longer flickers when in Game Mode on an Xbox One with HDR and the variable refresh rate feature enabled.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
Alright guys, I got everything setup but I am seeing what I can only describe as microstuttering in PoE. Anyone else having anything like that happen? Seems like its just stuttering even though FPS is locked at 120.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Alright guys, I got everything setup but I am seeing what I can only describe as microstuttering in PoE. Anyone else having anything like that happen? Seems like its just stuttering even though FPS is locked at 120.

Sounds like what happened to me in AC Odyssey. Just got a CX last week and I was playing AC Odyssey at 1440p with an uncapped framerate and even when I had a framerate in the upper 90s/low 100s it was super juddery and just felt awful. Capping it back to 60 resolved the issue.

Sep 21, 2019

The engineering mode works a treat. Unlocked it over a week ago and have been gaming glitch free with GSYNC ever since. Worth the plunge, imo, especially with Watch Dogs and CP 2077 around the corner!

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
Tuesday, 10/13. Located in the US if that makes a difference. They asked for my wired MAC, so I plugged in via ethernet, just to be safe.
Thanks. I chatted with them a 2nd time last Wednesday, so I hope tomorrow's the day for me. I also plugged in wired, just in case. (I originally reached out on 10/6 and after 6 days, they said they couldn't find a record of my chat/request.)