• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
are we expecting sony/ms to include HDMI 2.1 compatible HDMI cables with the consoles? Or better to try and get some in ahead of time?

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Alright, got the 3080. Question though, does anyone else's screen hang for a while when turning it on? It loads the bios and I see all that but then it loses signal for about 5 minutes. Wondering if the firmware will fix that and if there's a link to download it for the CX?

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Allright. Got my 3080. Got my b9. What settings do I need to set this on ? Im new to this. Thanks in advance.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Allright. Got my 3080. Got my b9. What settings do I need to set this on ? Im new to this. Thanks in advance.

Ok so you won't be able to do Gsync @ 4K120 until the new firmware hits, but other than that you should be able to hit 4K120 with HDR on assuming your cable is up to snuff.

Settings that worked well for me on my B9 before I updated to the pre-release firmware using a special remote I ordered were:

TV
-HDMI to HDMI 1 on the B9 (HDMI audio issues otherwise for me)
-Change the icon of HDMI 1 in Home Dashboard "edit" to "PC" so that all Picture modes are "low latency" and text is sharp due to chroma 4:4:4 subsampling, which doesn't seem to work in non-PC modes
-TV Picture Options: HDMI Black Level set to High, colour calibration up to your preference, I like Cinema Home in HDR and ISF Bright Room in SDR with Color Temp set to Warm 1/2 depending on the time of day
-Turn off Pixel Shift if the overscan bug bothers you, just be careful about burn in

Nvidia Control Panel:
Manage 3D Settings:
-Max Framerate cap 117fps
-Vertical Sync "let application decide", then turn on V-sync in games that give you tearing, some won't when Exclusive Fullscreen

Resolution Settings:
- PC section > 3840x2160, Refresh rate 120Hz
-Select Use NVIDIA color setting > RGB Full 10-bit

Adjust desktop size and position
-No scaling
-Perform scaling on: display

Set up G-SYNC
-Enable G-SYNC, G-SYNC Compatible (only full screen mode)
-UNCHECK "use settings for this display" under that (If on the pre-release firmware, CHECK this)
-If you get black screen, just disable it altogether until the TV update

Windows Display Settings
-Toggle HDR on before launching an HDR game, see list here: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_games_that_support_high_dynamic_range_display_(HDR)
Out of all the HDR enabled games from that list that I tested, Destiny 2 was the only one that would automatically toggle HDR on in the Windows settings at launch. All the other games wouldn't "see" that the display is HDR unless the toggle is switched on before launching.

Also, unlike with my 2070, I was not able to push 1440p to the B9 no matter the settings I used (unless scaling was set to GPU, which has other issues). So just ignore that for now I suppose.

Last edited:

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Ok so you won't be able to do Gsync @ 4K120 until the new firmware hits, but other than that you should be able to hit 4K120 with HDR on assuming your cable is up to snuff.

Settings that worked well for me on my B9 before I updated to the pre-release firmware using a special remote I ordered were:

TV
-HDMI to HDMI 1 on the B9 (HDMI audio issues otherwise for me)
-Change the icon of HDMI 1 in Home Dashboard "edit" to "PC" so that all Picture modes are "low latency" and text is sharp due to chroma 4:4:4 subsampling, which doesn't seem to work in non-PC modes
-TV Picture Options: HDMI Black Level set to High, colour calibration up to your preference, I like Cinema Home in HDR and ISF Bright Room in SDR with Color Temp set to Warm 1/2 depending on the time of day
-Turn off Pixel Shift if the overscan bug bothers you, just be careful about burn in

Nvidia Control Panel:
Manage 3D Settings:
-Framerate cap 117fps
-Vertical Sync "let application decide", then turn on V-sync in games that give you tearing, some won't when Exclusive Fullscreen

Resolution Settings:
- PC section > 3840x2160, Refresh rate 120Hz
-Select Use NVIDIA color setting > RGB Full 10-bit

Adjust desktop size and position
-No scaling
-Perform scaling on: display

Set up G-SYNC
-Enable G-SYNC, G-SYNC Compatible (only full screen mode)
-UNCHECK "use settings for this display" under that
-If you get black screen, just disable it altogether until the TV update

Windows Display Settings
-Toggle HDR on before launching an HDR game, see list here: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_games_that_support_high_dynamic_range_display_(HDR)
Out of all the HDR enabled games from that list that I tested, Destiny 2 was the only one that would automatically toggle HDR on in the Windows settings at launch. All the other games wouldn't "see" that the display is HDR unless the toggle is switched on before launching.

Also, unlike with my 2070, I was not able to push 1440p to the B9 no matter the settings I used (unless scaling was set to GPU, which has other issues). So just ignore that for now I suppose.
This is awesome, thank you.

With your pushed engineering firmware everything works 100%? Gsync and 1440p?

Furthermore, this is the same firmware that lg can provide via contacting them? Thanks again

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just watned to say, for whats it worth, VRR is working fine on my xbox one x.
Maybe its a card issue? Did anyone tested it with another screen?

Green

Oct 27, 2017
This is awesome, thank you.

With your pushed engineering firmware everything works 100%? Gsync and 1440p?

Furthermore, this is the same firmware that lg can provide via contacting them? Thanks again

Everything seems to be working 100% that I've tried so far.

I haven't done 1440p as G-Sync is working at 4K120 for me, so I haven't felt the need. I was only trying that before to try and get G-Sync working somehow before I decided to try the early firmware.

Exact version for me is 5.00.02, but I cannot guarantee that's still what they're serving the B9 or that any other version works. No clue if this is the one they are providing via directly contacting their support. You can tell I'm being very careful with how I answer that because of the nature of pre-release firmware on the B9. My stance is: only do it if you're comfortable with potentially semi/permanently bricking your TV.

I should mention I'm also using the hotfix drivers 456.71 from Nvidia clean installed, found here: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5091

Oct 27, 2017
Wait when does the 120hz 4k gsync patch come out on the c9? I though this was out in the US. Are we waiting on a OTA patch?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
TheBenjamin said:
I just got the harmony remote and am gonna do the engineering update. If someone could post a walkthrough that would be awesome! I've tried searching this forum for a how to but have yet to find it.
1. You will need a remote control that have the codes to send to your LG B9 TV(Harmony remote,LG Factory Service Remote Control or similar)
2. With LG Factory Service Remote Control
3. Press the instart command on the LG Factory Service Remote Control
4. Now you need to input a code on your tv. Input 0413 with the LG Factory Service Remote Control
5. Navigate to system 2 and change from user to engineer in NSU (dont touch anything else!,do not hit exit ever)
6. Exit the service menu with the instart button again(Whatever button you touch first on the LG Factory Service Remote Control you need to use the same button to get out of menu)
7. To have the change active restart LG TV.After restart update normally when in engineer mode, eventually it will come up
8. Turn the TV back to user after updating(Steps 2-6 again)
9. You might need to turn the tv and the pc completely off several times before G-sync works correctly

From Avsforum: I guess it isn't live in US except through engineering update.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait when does the 120hz 4k gsync patch come out on the c9? I though this was out in the US. Are we waiting on a OTA patch?

So there's two patches.

There's 04.90.33 which will be out at the end of November, but if you chat in to LG and ask really nicely there's a list they can put you on. They'll take down your TV model, MAC address, and serial number and push you the update OTA within 5 business days. This is the method I'm doing (currently waiting).

If you're impatient you can access some engineering firmware with an IR remote and the changing of some settings. This is an even further out update (05.something, I forget the specifics). People have had success with this too, but you run the (relatively low) risk of the engineering update being higher than any official updates so you're stuck there. Or just that it takes a long time for the release track to catch up so you're without updates for months or over a year.

JohnnyUtah

Jul 15, 2018
Hey all,

CX 3080 owner here. I can't seem to get gsync to work on the TV. It works fine on my monitor. Have tried 4k at 60hz and 4k at 120hz to no avail. Enabled gsync in nvcp. The gsync indicator never pops up in game. Is there some step I'm missing?

I should add that I'm using an Amazon basics hdmi 2.0 cord (which seems to allow for 4k 120 Hz at 444 somehow).

Oct 27, 2017
So there's two patches.

There's 04.90.33 which will be out at the end of November, but if you chat in to LG and ask really nicely there's a list they can put you on. They'll take down your TV model, MAC address, and serial number and push you the update OTA within 5 business days. This is the method I'm doing (currently waiting).

If you're impatient you can access some engineering firmware with an IR remote and the changing of some settings. This is an even further out update (05.something, I forget the specifics). People have had success with this too, but you run the (relatively low) risk of the engineering update being higher than any official updates so you're stuck there. Or just that it takes a long time for the release track to catch up so you're without updates for months or over a year.
Thank you did the LG contact method the rep knew what to ask for immediately so that is good, hopefully I get in soon.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
What's the email for the firmware? I have a CX and the hotfix driver but need the fw.

Nevermind, found the chat option on my phone and it was a breeze. They said 5 business days for a response.

Last edited:

simonski

Oct 31, 2017
Is g-sync 1440p at 120 also not working? I'm getting stutters from a laptop with a 2060, but I'm not entirely sure I'm doing everything right...

Oct 27, 2017
Is g-sync 1440p at 120 also not working? I'm getting stutters from a laptop with a 2060, but I'm not entirely sure I'm doing everything right...
It should be. It's working fine for me with later Nvidia drivers and OTA tv firmware with a 2070s. Try to make sure it's in fullscreen and gsync is enabled in the control panel. You should see 'instant game response enabled' appear in the top right of the TV for a couple seconds.

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone here in the UK got on this fabled list? I called UK LG support and explained I needed the firmware but they said it will be out in a few weeks and there is no way to "fast track" etc.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I don't underestimate why a torrent hasn't been uploaded or someone doesn't just host it somewhere?

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What VRR games are you playing on the one X?
Huh. Your question actually caught me by surprise 😂
What I meant previously is that both the TV and the console confirmed it to me with a pop up that vrr is active.
According to DF some games do actually benefit from it:
youtu.be

Xbox Next-Gen Features You Can Try Today: 120Hz/ VRR on Xbox One... What Do They Actually Do?

8K, 120Hz, Variable Refresh Rate... well, the first one is off the cards but 120Hz support and VRR are already built into Xbox One X and Xbox One S - so what...

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Huh. Your question actually caught me by surprise 😂
What I meant previously is that both the TV and the console confirmed it to me with a pop up that vrr is active.
According to DF some games do actually benefit from it:
youtu.be

Xbox Next-Gen Features You Can Try Today: 120Hz/ VRR on Xbox One... What Do They Actually Do?

8K, 120Hz, Variable Refresh Rate... well, the first one is off the cards but 120Hz support and VRR are already built into Xbox One X and Xbox One S - so what...

Thanks, I'll check it out later. Have it set up too but haven't actually tried anything with VRR

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to wait for the GSync official update, since everything in playing right now I can push beyond 120 without a cap, so it's pretty smooth sailing for now. Finished the rest of my setup in the meantime.

Along with the 5 meter HDMI 2.1 cable, I found a 5 meter USB 2.0 hub for the wireless dongles, so I don't have to have them be inconsistent with a wall in the way

20201011_143011.jpg

Going to cable manage the HDMI cable better when I have a chance, but the end result is perfect for me.

20201011_142951.jpg

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm just going to wait for the GSync official update, since everything in playing right now I can push beyond 120 without a cap, so it's pretty smooth sailing for now. Finished the rest of my setup in the meantime.

Along with the 5 meter HDMI 2.1 cable, I found a 5 meter USB 2.0 hub for the wireless dongles, so I don't have to have them be inconsistent with a wall in the way

20201011_143011.jpg

Going to cable manage the HDMI cable better when I have a chance, but the end result is perfect for me.

20201011_142951.jpg
Which HDMI cable are you using?

TraderPoe

Oct 31, 2017
Pacific Northwest

20201011_143011.jpg

20201011_142951.jpg
Nice! What's that lap desk you have?

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands

20201011_143011.jpg

20201011_142951.jpg

That cable that runs from your tv and the line on the floor in Control was totally messing with my mind for a second.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Which HDMI cable are you using?

I mentioned earlier, but I can't get Atmos working at the same time as 4k/120 with this, but I can with a shorter one. I have to reduce something, so I reduced the sound down to 5.1 PCM and everything is fine now.

Nice! What's that lap desk you have?

Corsair k63 keyboard and the lapboard specifically for that keyboard.
That cable that runs from your tv and the line on the floor in Control was totally messing with my mind for a second.

Ha, k never even noticed until you pointed it out.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I remember when things didn't come with HDMI cables and some companies were ripping people off with high priced ones, so I'm surprised when it's actually included lol

I remember those days too. I just think its asking for trouble on sony/Microsofts part to say they support 120 fps but not include the right hdmi cable in the box. Now down the line I could see them trying to swing it as a cost cutting measure to just include a basic hdmi cable, but at launch atleast they should include everything you need in the box.

Zeth

Feb 8, 2018
Any long HDMI cables on US stores working well? I think I need 25ft minimum. I got a Zeskit some people were using but it's too short, whoops.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that sure was convenient timing. I bought that cable mentioned above by Hasney and it arrived a day early. Installed it and everything seemed fine (fortunately I don't need audio), went off to do something else, came back to turn my TV on again and got the prompt for the new gsync firmware fix. Seems to not flicker, but I have noticed it seems a bit 'stuttery' around the 100fps mark?

Edit: Looking at other forums the stuttering issue seems to be happening to others. Apparently editing the gsync range is one way to fix it, changing it from 120 down to 110.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, that sure was convenient timing. I bought that cable mentioned above by Hasney and it arrived a day early. Installed it and everything seemed fine (fortunately I don't need audio), went off to do something else, came back to turn my TV on again and got the prompt for the new gsync firmware fix. Seems to not flicker, but I have noticed it seems a bit 'stuttery' around the 100fps mark?

Edit: Looking at other forums the stuttering issue seems to be happening to others. Apparently editing the gsync range is one way to fix it, changing it from 120 down to 110.

Which firmware fix? I thiiiiiiiiink 04.90.33 is still stuttery with high-refresh frame rates while the 05.something fixes that

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Which firmware fix? I thiiiiiiiiink 04.90.33 is still stuttery with high-refresh frame rates while the 05.something fixes that
The one which was meant to fix the black frames being inserted into gsync. 03.11.25 was the number I believe. Anything later hasn't been deployed OTA yet I guess. Don't plan on installing any engineer patches.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Awww man, I got a firmware update on my 48CX last week, was all excited ready for my 3080 to arrive and get the good stuff... It arrived today, plugged it in and went to fire up Control, got a bunch of flickering, then realised that I've not got *the* firmware update... Still on 03.11.10. No confirmed dates for a fix yet? :(

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Awww man, I got a firmware update on my 48CX last week, was all excited ready for my 3080 to arrive and get the good stuff... It arrived today, plugged it in and went to fire up Control, got a bunch of flickering, then realised that I've not got *the* firmware update... Still on 03.11.10. No confirmed dates for a fix yet? :(
Sure that particular problem isn't the cable? AFAIK, the g-sync issue was a blackout, not flickering.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The fix is out, but you have to install it via USB stick for now. I have a 48CX and 3080 and this fixed everything:

Also make sure your NVCP Display settings are set to scale via Display and not GPU. GPU scaling was fine for my previous 2080 Ti and HDMI 2.0b connection but GPU scaling caused the 3080 and HDMI 2.1 connection to slightly vertically squish the whole picture for some reason.

And also be sure to disable ClearType. Unlike for most monitors, ClearType seems to actually make text worse on the CX's pixel arrangement, and it being off will look much better and natural on the display in SDR and especially HDR.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Sure that particular problem isn't the cable? AFAIK, the g-sync issue was a blackout, not flickering.

The cable itself seems to be fine, it's doing 4K 120Hz HDR without issue, it's just when G-Sync gets involved...

The fix is out, but you have to install it via USB stick for now. I have a 48CX and 3080 and this fixed everything:

Cheers, I'll give it a go - have noticed that there's a few people saying it's not worked for folks in Europe, but will try anyway...

The other weird thing that I've been finding is this. If I extend my desktop to include the TV, it works perfectly fine. If I set it to display to the TV only, it just says there's no input, regardless of G-Sync being enabled. Even if I drop the resolution down to 1080p, it doesn't show, so it's not a bandwidth/cable thing at that point. The audio device for the TV still shows up in the setting, it's literally just the display! Will see if that firmware fixes things

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
The cable itself seems to be fine, it's doing 4K 120Hz HDR without issue, it's just when G-Sync gets involved...

Cheers, I'll give it a go - have noticed that there's a few people saying it's not worked for folks in Europe, but will try anyway...

The other weird thing that I've been finding is this. If I extend my desktop to include the TV, it works perfectly fine. If I set it to display to the TV only, it just says there's no input, regardless of G-Sync being enabled. Even if I drop the resolution down to 1080p, it doesn't show, so it's not a bandwidth/cable thing at that point. The audio device for the TV still shows up in the setting, it's literally just the display! Will see if that firmware fixes things
For what its worth I got the update OTA on my UK 48CX yesterday, so it does seem to be going out in Europe.