• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PatShallBe

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, but I have to correct myself: when I enable Pixelshift it still does a tiny bit of Overscan but as far as I can see nowhere near as bad as in your Screenshots. The Screen gets about 2mm wider when I enable Pixelshift. It does that with UHD Resolution 4k/60 and PC Resolution 4k/120 the same way.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See the images I posted - its overscanning, doesnt seem to the usual ever so slight pixel shift - entire image is slightly stepped inward. Fixed in the new firmware it seems anyway!
Didn't realize what issue you were having until I saw your vomit inducing photos. Good to know it's been fixed.

PatShallBe

Oct 28, 2017
See the images I posted - its overscanning, doesnt seem to the usual ever so slight pixel shift - entire image is slightly stepped inward. Fixed in the new firmware it seems anyway!
Here are Pictures with Pixelshift On/Off with the latest Dev Firmware on a C9. Looks nowhere near as bad as in your Images. I think this is now working as intended and kinda is fixed:

photos.app.goo.gl

Pixelshift On (left) vs OFF (right)

2 new photos added to shared album

Super Rookie

Oct 25, 2017
London
I always thought pixel shift was moving the image a random number of of small pixels to help prevent burn in which is why it is always slightly different for me.

Glad to hear there is a temp workaround for people who can't access the engineering firmware and that LG seem to working on quick iterations. If only there where some sort of patch notes so we could see an exact list of changes.

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
Here are Pictures with Pixelshift On/Off with the latest Dev Firmware on a C9. Looks nowhere near as bad as in your Images. I think this is now working as intended and kinda is fixed:

photos.app.goo.gl

Pixelshift On (left) vs OFF (right)

2 new photos added to shared album

Ok yeah that looks much more 'correct'.

Were you getting the slightly zoomed in before you put that firmware like my horrific photos by the way?

PatShallBe

Oct 28, 2017
Ok yeah that looks much more 'correct'.

Were you getting the slightly zoomed in before you put that firmware like my horrific photos by the way?
Yeah got that weird overscan issue too but couldn't pin it down to what caused it at that time. Now just waiting for the new Cable to arrive since I still got problems with Gsync and 10bit depth with my current cable. I will report here when finally everything works as intended!

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
I think the next big thing is going to be a giant spreadsheet of cables that work the best. See you there!

Has anybody successfully contacted LG UK support and they send them the firmware to pop on a USB drive to install manually or is it all still a bit new - most things im reading it seems the LG support staff in some cases don't know what people are referring to when they call.

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So US we haven't received this update yet right? I'm still using 1440p and have a 3080 now so I'd like to start using 4k :(

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Unless I am misunderstanding you, are you saying that LGs 2020 tv, the CX, has worse color compression than LGs 2019 tv the C9?

He's wrong. The real difference is the C9 can receive a 4k120/4:4:4@12 bit signal (48Gbps), and the CX can only receive a 4k120/4:4:4@10 bit signal (40 Gbps). Both panels are 10 bit displays.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
He's wrong. The real difference is the C9 can receive a 4k120/4:4:4@12 bit signal (48Gbps), and the CX can only receive a 4k120/4:4:4@10 bit signal (40 Gbps). Both panels are 10 bit displays.

This 48 vs 40 Gbps fake controversy is so ridiculous. Every time somebody brings it up I ask what 12 bit content they are planning to consume at 4k/120 on a 10 bit panel and obviously there is never an answer. It's just a matter of "bigger numbers are better" without actually understanding what those numbers mean.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
This 48 vs 40 Gbps fake controversy is so ridiculous. Every time somebody brings it up I ask what 12 bit content they are planning to consume at 4k/120 on a 10 bit panel and obviously there is never an answer. It's just a matter of "bigger numbers are better" without actually understanding what those numbers mean.

As much as I like Vincent from HDTVTest he poured some fuel on that fire when he said he preferred the 48Gpbs connection to have more headroom on the connection. If you get your 40Gbps and you're playing content sourced at 10bit on a 10bit display I don't see how it could have any real world effect.

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
Annoying thing is until we have the firmware we can't be sure our 48gb cables from Amazon called silly names are any good!

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, changed to input label from HDMI to PC and saw a night and day difference between the 4K chroma image:

https://www.avsforum.com/attachments/chroma-444-3840x2160-png.3043497/

Highly recommend changing the label, didn't think there would be such a stark difference
Not sure if anything has changed with HDMI 2.1, but in the past, PC mode would introduce some pretty bad banding when using HDR.

On a different note, I reached out to LG via chat earlier and they are going to enroll me so that I receive the preview firmware. (US)

Super Rookie

Oct 25, 2017
London
Not sure if anything has changed with HDMI 2.1, but in the past, PC mode would introduce some pretty bad banding when using HDR.

On a different note, I reached out to LG via chat earlier and they are going to enroll me so that I receive the preview firmware. (US)

Yeah that was the case before but testing the grey scale gradient its pretty much the same in both HDR and SDR for me now.
Not as smooth as my projector but still better than it was before.

arnehelst

Oct 28, 2017
Stole this from AVS

"
Just tested enabling GSYNC, leaving the "enable settings for the select display mode" setting unchecked, and then enabling VRR in windows (right click > display settings > graphics settings > vrr). It appears to work! Capping FPS at 117 as recommended for GSYNC and I see no tearing.

Great workaround until we have proper GSYNC-compatible support.

I don't have a vrr setting in my Graphics Settings. Do I need the 2004 Culmative Update Preview for it to show?

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
It's curious - so with gsync not even enabled. When you switch to 2560x1440 in a game it has the "instant game response" pop up and it seems to be 120fps. Do you not need Gsync even on with this for it to trigger? As i guess its gsync "compatible" - the TV itself doesnt have the gsync processor in it i dont think?

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
Hmm I think ive worked out how to remove the overscan thing on the current firmware using 4k120hz. I always have the windows scaling set to 100-125% and not 200-300% when it outputs at 4k to the LG OLED. If you set it to 200-300% within the display settings in windows; you dont seem to get the overscan with 4k120hz.

If you put it on 100% (I know I know - I have crazy owl eyes I think) then you get the really easy to see overscan. Put it on 175% scaling and its much less of an issue. Looks almost normal! Maybe the new firmware mentioned above takes the scaling into consideration now at 120hz as at 60hz it doesnt care.

edit: it does seem to stop the obvious overscan where the windows logo and clock are but if you maximize a chrome window for example with a scroll bar on the right - maximize chrome and it literally cuts off the entire scroll bar.

I am going to stop trying things now and just wait for the firmware :)

Last edited:

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Is this "engineering" update different than the one that was made available officially through the LG Korean site? For US models?

Cause this is turning into a headache. I thought everything was fixed but it's not. I'm getting weird stutter when doing 4K120 Gsync basically on anything higher than 80fps. The higher it gets, the worse the stutter is. If I forcibly make my framerate stay in the 60-80 range (by increasing render resolution to like 150-200%) Gsync is fine and smooth.

but if my framerate is anywhere over 80 gsync causes really weird hitching and stuttering and it gets worse the higher the framerate is. Capping it at 117, 120, or any framerate...it's super hitchy and stuttery.

No issues on my 144hz monitor however at any range, so it's def an issue with the CX.

so while there was progress made with one firmware, it's still not where it needs to be.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's curious - so with gsync not even enabled. When you switch to 2560x1440 in a game it has the "instant game response" pop up and it seems to be 120fps. Do you not need Gsync even on with this for it to trigger? As i guess its gsync "compatible" - the TV itself doesnt have the gsync processor in it i dont think?
It's because when you launch a game it's triggering the ALLM rather than VRR. Both ALLM and VRR trigger the "Instant Game Response" banner.

PatShallBe

Oct 28, 2017
Got my new HDMI Cables today and I can now FINALLY confirm: everything is working as intended now! 4k@120Hz with Gsync on, 10bit depth activated, HDR activated (tried Forza Horizon 4, Doom Eternal and AC: Odyssey) I get no Screen Errors, no Sound Errors (Sound running to a Denon X1600H Receiver via eArc) and everything runs smooth as butter!

My Setup: Asus TUF Gaming RTX 3080 (non OC Version) with the newest NVIDIA Hotfix Driver 456.71 directly into LG OLED 55C9 with the newest Engineer Firmware (05.00.03 here in Europe) and from there into the Denon X1600H via eArc. I bought these Cables because someone confirmed them working in the AVSForum Thread, used them for GPU to TV and TV to AVR: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B084RFQPSP/

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
So does the 3080 support hdmi 2.1 vrr? Not gsync which is limited to LG Oled but the hdmi 2.1 standard vrr.
LG OLEDs are standard HDMI 2.1 VRR.
You have to have Gsync h/w in the display for it to be "Gsync".
LG OLEDs are "Gsync Compatible" and since there's only one standard NV can use on HDMI for adaptive sync it's pretty clear that they are HDMI 2.1 VRR in h/w.
The question of how NV handles this in drivers is different though - we don't know if it's an open list or they turn on the feature for specific TVs.

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
Got my new HDMI Cables today and I can now FINALLY confirm: everything is working as intended now! 4k@120Hz with Gsync on, 10bit depth activated, HDR activated (tried Forza Horizon 4, Doom Eternal and AC: Odyssey) I get no Screen Errors, no Sound Errors (Sound running to a Denon X1600H Receiver via eArc) and everything runs smooth as butter!

My Setup: Asus TUF Gaming RTX 3080 (non OC Version) with the newest NVIDIA Hotfix Driver 456.71 directly into LG OLED 55C9 with the newest Engineer Firmware (05.00.03 here in Europe) and from there into the Denon X1600H via eArc. I bought these Cables because someone confirmed them working in the AVSForum Thread, used them for GPU to TV and TV to AVR: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B084RFQPSP/

Appreciate all the info and the cable links.

Deleted member 1432

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just incase if anyone is curious of what cables I'm using to achieve 4k 120hz with 4:4:4 (No GSYNC of course), and it was suggested on AVS forums: the Club3D cables. Its the same manufacture that is making the Displayport 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter (it still has some issues). I did have to turn off pixel shifting to fix the overscan issue.

Haven't played with VRR yet, I'll have to take a look at that later today. Someone on AVS forums mentioned it only works with DX11 games, is that true?

Last edited:

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017

Thanks for the cable link, I just bough them.
I wonder what the difference is with the Club 3d one, given the cost.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Has anyone been able to get 4K, HDR AND Gsync in Windows at 120Hz with their CX? I can get the first three but when I try to enable HDR the screen just flashes quickly and goes back to off.

2080 Ti user here. I'm using an HDMI fiber cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XGDFCSC/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I guess this is the issue? Weirdly enough I can enable 120Hz without issue but not along HDR.

see if new firmware from today 03.11.26 helps, scroll down here: https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55CXPUA.AUS ... should work for all CX sizes.

EDIT: just noticed that your cable isn't rated HDMI 2.1. get an HDMI 2.1 cable. they're like $15 for a decent size.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Has anyone been able to get 4K, HDR AND Gsync in Windows at 120Hz with their CX? I can get the first three but when I try to enable HDR the screen just flashes quickly and goes back to off.

2080 Ti user here. I'm using an HDMI fiber cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XGDFCSC/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I guess this is the issue? Weirdly enough I can enable 120Hz without issue but not along HDR.

2080 TI doesn't have hdmi 2.1, neither does your cable. So you won't be able to have anything beyond SDR in 4k 120hz.

The guy above recommending a 2.1 cable wont fix the fact your GPU doesn't and will never support it.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Yep, get yourself a 3xxx series GPU or the new AMD stuff coming because it's all going to be 2.1.

I can do 4k120 SDR on my 2080 Super but no hdr AND I get flicker so until I get my 3080 it's going to be 1440p120 which is still quite stunning.

I bought a nice 48gbps Belkin cable the other day so I'm set there.

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
Thank you all for your replies. I do plan on getting the 3080 as part of a new PC build, hopefully with the new Ryzen CPU if budget allows.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
OK, against my own advice I've updated my B9 to the engineering firmware using an LG service remote I ordered overnight from Amazon. I was getting terrible audio crackling and odd noise/snow whenever playing audio on the TV. And of course, no Gsync.

-Had to check for updates three times after putting the TV into Engineering mode. Only on the third time did the update appear.
-My B9 was on firmware 4.80.02, and it updated to 5.00.02, and then I promptly removed the TV from engineering mode.
-After updating, I read reports that completely removing power from the TV and PC a few times may be necessary. This did NOT work for me, I was not able to get Gsync working, still had the black screen issue.
-A post earlier in the thread said that a factory reset on the TV worked. I did the factory reset.
-After the initial startup, it seems that everything is working.

Here's where I'm at:
-4K @ 120Hz RGB Full @ 12 bit in Nvidia Settings
-HDR is on in Windows settings
-No special 3D settings like frame rate cap, and Windows' advanced display settings it is set to 120Hz not 119Hz.
-Gsync is enabled for full screen only, and the checkbox for "use selected setting for this display" or whatever is enabled.
-no audio crackling
-no odd overscan issue when enabling Pixel Shift while using PC mode
-Instant Game Response is enabled and automatically pops up
-Ultra Deep Colour is enabled on the TV, no issues having to turn off or on or what some have reported

I know Gsync is working because the active resolution is 3840x2160 and the total resolution is switching dynamically 4400xSomeResolutionGreaterThan2160 when viewing the HDMI diagnostics on the TV (Settings > Hover over Channel Tuning > 11111 > Select HDMI Mode)

Playing Destiny 2 at the moment and it's smooth as butter. Loving this.

Still recommend to wait for the official update. But now we have confirmation that someone here on this forum with a 3080 and a B9 indeed 100% can work with Gsync @ 4K120 12-bit HDR with audio: me :)

Also, I should mention that I am using a 3 meter "8K" cable from ConnBull I ordered off Amazon for $20: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08311F3RZ
The $60 Club3D CAC-1073 cable I ordered does not work for me, I get intermittent signal loss. Tried everything and no dice and they don't take returns. Oh well at least I can put this behind me for now.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
OK, against my own advice I've updated my B9 to the engineering firmware using an LG service remote I ordered overnight from Amazon. I was getting terrible audio crackling and odd noise/snow whenever playing audio on the TV. And of course, no Gsync.

-Had to check for updates three times after putting the TV into Engineering mode. Only on the third time did the update appear.
-My B9 was on firmware 4.80.02, and it updated to 5.00.02, and then I promptly removed the TV from engineering mode.
-After updating, I read reports that completely removing power from the TV and PC a few times may be necessary. This did NOT work for me, I was not able to get Gsync working, still had the black screen issue.
-A post earlier in the thread said that a factory reset on the TV worked. I did the factory reset.

Here's where I'm at:
-No special 3D settings like frame rate cap, and Windows' advanced display settings it is set to 120Hz not 119Hz.
-Gsync is enabled for full screen only, and the checkbox for "use selected setting for this display" or whatever is enabled.
-no audio crackling
-Ultra Deep Colour is enabled on the TV, no issues having to turn off or on or what some have reported

I know Gsync is working because the active resolution is 3840x2160 and the total resolution is switching dynamically 4400xSomeResolutionGreaterThan2160 when viewing the HDMI diagnostics on the TV (Settings > Hover over Channel Tuning > 11111 > Select HDMI Mode)

Still recommend to wait for the official update. But now we have confirmation that someone here on this forum with a 3080 and a B9 indeed 100% can work with Gsync @ 4K120 12-bit HDR with audio: me :)

Also, I should mention that I am using a 3 meter "8K" cable from ConnBull I ordered off Amazon for $20: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08311F3RZ
The $60 Club3D CAC-1073 cable I ordered does not work for me, I get intermittent signal loss. Tried everything and no dice and they don't take returns. Oh well at least I can put this behind me for now.

Awesome, great news.

I've been looking forward to reporting the thread for a title change and we're nearly there.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Really detailed post but isn't pointless using over 10bit given that's what the panel supports?

Probably. Maybe its placebo but I seem to be getting slightly less black crush and banding in PC mode when using 12 bit Full RGB + Black Level High on my TV. But that could just be me. Either way, it hasn't seemed to cause me any issues and that's the maximum I can push through my cable, so may as well.

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I'm "enrolled" for the beta firmware w/LG, my patience is starting to wear thin. Tempted to just force the service mode/engineering update and call it a day.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK

Here's where I'm at:
-no audio crackling

Club3D seems very hit and miss with their products.

Really detailed post but isn't pointless using over 10bit given that's what the panel supports?

Also as far as I am aware, imagine when you downsample from 8k to 4k on Dolphin, it looks so much smoother anti-aliasing wise, it seems like it is possible to downsample color information as well which means 12bit downsampled to 10 bit does look better and I have noticed this after running Microsoft Flight Simulator at 4k 30hz 12bit color myself on a 1080 ti, unless its totally placebo but I honestly don't think so.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
amazon I think have extended return windows for Christmas already. I want to have HDMI cables set up ready to go for the new consoles but might need 3m for one of them and 2m for the other. Not sure how safe that is yet

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017

Here's where I'm at:
-no audio crackling

Thank you for the confirmation Green, hopefully an official firmware update for the B9 is not too far away, but in the meantime it's great to know that's it is possible to have 4K120Hz HDR 12 bit Gsync on this TV, imo making it a complete package as a gaming TV/Monitor.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Posting here too as I know some people were asking about cables.

I found a 5 metre HDMI cable that works at 4k 120Hz almost flawlessly

YIWENTEC 8K HDMI UHD High Speed 48Gbps 8K@60Hz 4K@120Hz: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Shop YIWENTEC 8K HDMI UHD High Speed 48Gbps 8K@60Hz 4K@120Hz with LED Indication HDCP2.2 4:4:4 HDR 3D eARC HDMI Cable (5M). Free delivery and returns on eligible orders.

I say almost, because I have one issue... Dolby Atmos sound keeps cutting out and it works perfect with my shorter cable. Selecting standard 5.1 PCM works great though and that's my setup, so it's a little niggle that I can live with for now.