• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else find when they choose the "PC" resolution option in the Nvidia control panel, its slightly overscanned on the tv screen? If you turn of the pixel shift OLED thing it fixes it but id rather leave that on as it seems to turn it off globally, not just for the one input.
I see that on my display as well. Hoping it's general HDMI 2.1 wonkiness.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Got a remote so I can access engineer mode. Installed the update on my CX (from UK). I'm in heaven getting the chroma, gsync, 120hz treatment. Yet to see the stuttering some people are reporting at 90-120 fps. But will keep testing.

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
Got a remote so I can access engineer mode. Installed the update on my CX (from UK). I'm in heaven getting the chroma, gsync, 120hz treatment. Yet to see the stuttering some people are reporting at 90-120 fps. But will keep testing.

do you have to choose the "PC" res further down in the nvidia resolution section to set 120hz?

Also do you manually set the 10/12 bit and colour range in the nvidia panel?

Curious to see a screen of your settings!

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Anyone else find when they choose the "PC" resolution option in the Nvidia control panel, its slightly overscanned on the tv screen? If you turn of the pixel shift OLED thing it fixes it but id rather leave that on as it seems to turn it off globally, not just for the one input.
Yeah I noticed that. Very slight overscan, maybe just a few pixels. At least there's a fix even if not ideal. Must be a bug in the pixel shift algorithm, hopefully gets fixed at some point.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Yes, disable pixel shifting and I think it will go.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
How do you know whether or not GSYNC is really working? I get into the CX hidden menu and it also doesn't show the PC or even Chromecast doing HDR, just says HDR 8bit even if I have it set to 10bit on PC.

I did enable VRR through the CX but when I turn on GSYNC in the clock demo it tears and stutters. Runs fine with VSYNC though.

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
Also noticed when it's slightly off center for the pixel shift the text is slightly blurry just on the desktop, disabling the pixel shift it goes back to sharp. Good to know.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I've read that the CAC-1372/3 is a good (2-3 meter) cable that has apparently been confirmed working with the Gsync patched LG CX/C9 and 3080/3090 @ 4K120 HDR with full support of 8, 10, 12 bit whatever settings you throw through it.

I ordered one, should be here Thursday. I'll report back as soon as my B9 gets the update.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
Stole this from AVS

"
Just tested enabling GSYNC, leaving the "enable settings for the select display mode" setting unchecked, and then enabling VRR in windows (right click > display settings > graphics settings > vrr). It appears to work! Capping FPS at 117 as recommended for GSYNC and I see no tearing.

Great workaround until we have proper GSYNC-compatible support.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Stole this from AVS

"
Just tested enabling GSYNC, leaving the "enable settings for the select display mode" setting unchecked, and then enabling VRR in windows (right click > display settings > graphics settings > vrr). It appears to work! Capping FPS at 117 as recommended for GSYNC and I see no tearing.

This works for me! :D SS 4 feels smooth like gsync is workign now.

Jul 26, 2018
So i've finally received my 3080 and installed it with my CX 48.

When I enabled full 4K, 120hz, I see flickering on my screen every 5-7 seconds. What's up with that?

Also, what's some tips I can try to do with my 3080 and CX?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017

When I enabled full 4K, 120hz, I see flickering on my screen every 5-7 seconds. What's up with that?

flickering is usually caused by a bad HDMI cable or one not able to handle the bandwidth. I had this with some of my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro games. It would work for a little bit go black, go back.....and repeat. Unless its an issue with the settings that people here are using a work around for to fix.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
So does the 3080 support hdmi 2.1 vrr? Not gsync which is limited to LG Oled but the hdmi 2.1 standard vrr.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Stole this from AVS

"

Gonna test this tomorrow. VRR is on but not about that display mode.

flux0r

Oct 28, 2017
Stole this from AVS

"

Yes, this works for me with c9 and 3080. Just make sure you have the newest hotfix drivers. Vrr is glorious!

Deleted member 52065

Jan 16, 2019
Unless I am misunderstanding you, are you saying that LGs 2020 tv, the CX, has worse color compression than LGs 2019 tv the C9?
It's been already answered, i will add that 4k 120Hz is also at full "quality" on the C9.
"for the C9 models 4k 120 Hz 4:4:4 is working fine"

4:4:4 means no compression of color bandwidth (no loss of information).

The CX compresses the color information in 4:2:2 fashion
see:
for illustration on what that means visually
and the related article "chroma subsampling"

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
just tried it out and it works, amazing

Do you have the overscan like others are seeing too or are you disabling pixel shift to stop it? It's quite obvious when it's over scanning as you can see the windows bar is slightly to the side and text isn't sharp.

Still unsure if disabling the pixel shift is ok or not for non HDR content like standard pc games.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
Do you have the overscan like others are seeing too or are you disabling pixel shift to stop it? It's quite obvious when it's over scanning as you can see the windows bar is slightly to the side and text isn't sharp.

Still unsure if disabling the pixel shift is ok or not for non HDR content like standard pc games.

i never noticed an overscan problem, so i'm not going to look hard for it lol. i wouldn't disable pixel shift just for it either

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
Looking at it - mine isn't even cropped - it's almost zoomed in. If you turn pixel shift off and on etc you can see the wallpaper etc almost zoom in.

The confusing bit is if you set it to 60hz and don't choose the PC resolution one further down the resolution options then it doesn't do the slight zoomed in thing and pixel shift is still on as it should be an ever so slight pixel shift - not quite zoomed in.

Will try my older cable actually too as this is a new 8k 48gb cable.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like feature is working as intended. How do you imagine pixel shift can work if there is no overscan and nowhere for pixels to shift to.

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds like feature is working as intended. How do you imagine pixel shift can work if there is no overscan and nowhere for pixels to shift to.

Well my point is I have 3 other HDMI input devices into this TV and the same thing doesnt happen and this is with pixel shift enabled as a default - its only been since I got this 3080 (first world problems I know) and now I'm looking to do the 120hz mode. If i set it to 60hz NON PC res in the nvidia resolution this doesnt happen. The other devices are consoles obviously like the Xbox/PS4 etc but you don't get an overly zoomed in image. Pixel shifting is normally a very small strip of pixels from what I understand.

It doesnt look like pixel shift to me as its just too zoomed in. It looks like overscan but the just scan doesnt do anything.

I'll get an image of what im seeing just to see if anyone else is seeing it.

Here you go - try not to be sick as the iphone went crazy being close ish to the screen :)

imgur.com

4k60hz vs 4k120hz

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Last edited:

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Unless I am misunderstanding you, are you saying that LGs 2020 tv, the CX, has worse color compression than LGs 2019 tv the C9?

It was under certain circumstances. There has been firmware updates since (some still private though, need to be obtained from their customer service), all this is maybe fixed (i don't have an LG ;) i was just trying to help decrypt the reddit and forum that was referenced at the time, sorry i can't help much more.

PatShallBe

Oct 28, 2017
There's another new FW-Update for the C9 in Europe at least: 5.00.03 (via In-Start Service Menu in Engineer Mode). Just installed it, seems to fix the Overscan with Pixelshift enabled. Will test more when my new HDMI Cables arrive later today.

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
There's another new FW-Update for the C9 in Europe at least: 5.00.03 (via In-Start Service Menu in Engineer Mode). Just installed it, seems to fix the Overscan with Pixelshift enabled. Will test more when my new HDMI Cables arrive later today.

Oh my word - you may be my saviour! Also - i take it this is the thing that needs the IR receiver to access? I'd be happy just to know a fix is coming tbh so I can hold out if i need an IR and such.

PatShallBe

Oct 28, 2017
Oh my word - you may be my saviour! Also - i take it this is the thing that needs the IR receiver to access? I'd be happy just to know a fix is coming tbh so I can hold out if i need an IR and such.

Yes you need some kind of IR Blaster to access the Dev Menu. I've used my Harmony Remote for that.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018

Disable G-Sync. If you aren't on the unreleased FW that fixes gsync you will get flickering on 120hz 4k. I certainly did.

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
Yes you need some kind of IR Blaster to access the Dev Menu. I've used my Harmony Remote for that.

Ok cool thanks. Interested to see if you can do what I put in that imgur link at 60/120 to see if the overscan is sorted. It's definitely overscan as I've just set up a device without "just scan" and it looks exactly the same.

Curiously I've tested if I do normal 4k 60 (non PC res further down) its fine. But if I then enable the Nvidia colour settings and set it to 10 bit it does the overscan. Set it to 8 bit and it goes back to normal.

I must admit - when I think about it I've been using the LG OLED for outputting PC games for like 1.5 years and I've never really messed with the Nvidia settings outside of just leaving the colour space etc windows defaults so it might have been there all along.

However if I do the above for 4k (pc res) 120hz it doesnt change anything - always just scanned.

Likely this is a bit of early adopter-itis so I will just leave it for now I think and wait for the firmware and such before worrying about it.

Last edited:

PatShallBe

Oct 28, 2017
Ok cool thanks. Interested to see if you can do what I put in that imgur link at 60/120 to see if the overscan is sorted. It's definitely overscan as I've just set up a device without "just scan" and it looks exactly the same.

Curiously I've tested if I do normal 4k 60 (non PC res further down) its fine. But if I then enable the Nvidia colour settings and set it to 10 bit it does the overscan. Set it to 8 bit and it goes back to normal.

I must admit - when I think about it I've been using the LG OLED for outputting PC games for like 1.5 years and I've never really messed with the Nvidia settings outside of just leaving the colour space etc windows defaults so it might have been there all along.

However if I do the above for 4k (pc res) 120hz it doesnt change anything - always just scanned.

Likely this is a bit of early adopter-itis so I will just leave it for now I think and wait for the firmware and such before worrying about it.

Can confirm: no Overscan with the PC Resolution set to 4k/120Hz and Pixelshift enabled!

Edit: Sorry, but I have to correct myself: when I enable Pixelshift it still does a tiny bit of Overscan but as far as I can see nowhere near as bad as in your Screenshots. The Screen gets about 2mm wider when I enable Pixelshift. It does that with UHD Resolution 4k/60 and PC Resolution 4k/120 the same way.

Last edited:

zephiross

Mar 27, 2018
Ok so what's the difference between setting the chroma sub-sampling to 4:4:4 or RGB ? can't seem to find the answer despite searching for it...

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, it has always done this. I normally switch pixel shift off as it only moves the screen about 2mm each way.

See the images I posted - its overscanning, doesnt seem to the usual ever so slight pixel shift - entire image is slightly stepped inward. Fixed in the new firmware it seems anyway!