• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
JonnyDBrit

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if I fully get this. Is this some kind of folk sport to burn it without getting caught by the authorities or is it really just for decoration? They are keeping track of how long it survived since the 60s.

Basically. It was intended to be a large scale version of a traditional icon, partly as a then marketing strategy. It was destroyed in an act of vandalism the first year, so when it was rebuilt in subsequent years, some smart alecs thought, oh, it should burn again, just like the first year. Thus it became an unofficial tradition where someone has a damned go at it; on one occasion by an American tourist who'd been convinced it was an actual, official tradition.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
I'll laugh like Hell if Odin takes it out with old fashioned lightning (though lightning this time of year would be rare there).

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Yup, the Wikipedia entry is one of the funniest things I've ever read. They even have a Twitter account that I amusingly check periodically during the holidays. Whoever runs it does a pretty good job personifying it. The bio description is hilarious. "I'm THE straw goat of the world, I fancy Christmas and I don't play with matches."

I would love to see it in person someday.

facepalm007

Oct 26, 2017
Just heard about this tradition at a Cultural Diversity presentation at work, but yeah, this guy needs to burn!!

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Explained this tradition of sorts to my immigrant students the other day and the more I explained the less sense I felt I made. But in that moment I think I started to appreciate the bockjävel more than before, and now I'm truly hoping for a spectacular burning heist as 2020 draws to a close.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
It's a little past Christmas but if any Americans have been following it, the goat is still standing. There's one more week to go so anything can happen.

Dre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It is really unlikely that something will happen this year with 24h security and a 24h live broadcast.

... also hi Ela subs

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently a man stole the goat and put it in his back yard. He got 2 years in prison for grand larceny.
Was it the same size back then? If so, that's really impressive, should have given the man a more lenient sentence for that impressive deed. I mean, how do you even start to move that thing around on your own?

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Was it the same size back then? If so, that's really impressive, should have given the man a more lenient sentence for that impressive deed. I mean, how do you even start to move that thing around on your own?

A quick googling in swedish suggests that it weighed "several tonnes". So yes, that is quite impressive.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing is impossible, you just have to dream big

What about flaming arrows? Swedish archery geeks, where are you at? This is the time you have practiced for all your life!

It's been done. By a gingerbread man, no less.

even covering the straw goat with a flame resistant coating didn't slow down Father Christmas and a gingerbread man setting him alight by shooting flaming arrows at him.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Only a matter of time until someone out for internet fame takes this seriously metal gear, destroys the cameras, knocks out the guards or holds them at gunpoint and sets this shit on fire.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

so two fences, CCTV, two guards? I figure I can do it

zon

Oct 28, 2017
It's not looking good, I fear the goat will continue its reign of terror ☹

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Oh my god! I just realized the wittiness of that tweet. A sight for sore eyes AKA suck it haters and would be arsonists. I told a friend of mines who's half Swedish, half Danish but her parents live in Sweden about it. She never heard about it.

I don't see the goat burning either. I hope whoever runs that Twitter account gets a raise though. They've been doing a great job.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Pay me the trip and I'll do it, I'll even finish with a "I love when a plan comes together"

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
One last update for you all: it got away with it.

This was fun! Until 11 months when it happens again, I wish a safe and joyous new year to the Swedes here. I hope to hit up Sweden when I eventually go to Europe someday.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This was fun! Until 11 months when it happens again, I wish a safe and joyous new year to the Swedes here. I hope to hit up Sweden when I eventually go to Europe someday.

What are you looking at step brother?

Mom and dad aren't home....

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Easiest way to not get caught is flying a drone into it with it having some kind of firing mechanism.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has never heard of this until now I blame this for 2020. The gods demand a sacrifice and have been denied one for years. 2020 is our punishment.

Jesiatha

Oct 27, 2017
Jävla bocken.

Not sure if that's as funny to Swedes, but as someone whose speaking/listening is non-native, it sometimes sounds like that to me.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017

Does to get taken down today? New Years Eve seems like a prime time for it to be lit up
Edit: This post is literally the first ive heard of this thing, so it's elicited a chuckle due to the wiki/twitter.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
It would be costly and take dedication, but a decent drone on a suicide mission with an incindiary device might get it done. If the retardant is too good, there's always C4!

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Dammit! It feels like the last four years has just been getting worse, I blame it on Gävlebocken. It's meant to be on fire and in ashes come new years day. Lost my faith for a great 2021 now. Thanks for nothing Gävle!

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Well the Yule Goat is an old Scandinavian christmas symbol, that is traditionally made out of straw
Straw and hubris.

www.resetera.com

Flamethrower drone incinerates wasp nests in China News

https://apnews.com/article/asia-pacific-china-chongqing-84436504dbf59c587cb227eb4c1fe0c5 Wonder if it can work for murder hornet?

It can be done.

Well, looks like we just got a sneak preview of the next CoD kill streak.