• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I doubt the daily life aspect will be as flashed out as Persona 5. There's no indication of non-party member hangouts, no social stats, and just from the demo, Shibuya is much smaller. Also a much shorter calendar, being over just a few months, individual days will probably be longer, but not sure it will have much of a time management system.

Persona 5 was a bit too bloated anyway in terms of overall length.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

No, this is

Cannon-Antietam-National-Battlefield-Maryland.jpg

It is canon, however

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I just played a bit of the demo but only had time for the first fight, there's no doubt in my mind that this game will be fantastic.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
This is probably going to end up being my first musou game. I tried a demo for FE warriors and didn't like the gameplay much, but maybe I didn't give it a chance.

Do we know if there will be Persona collecting and fusion?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Usually musou games doesn't take long to get localized, but Atlus gonna Atlus and drag this for several months.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, playing through the demo I was surprised that it was basically a continuation from the end of P5. I knew nothing going in and was expecting some sort of side story but it seemed like setup for what is essentially P5-2.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Finished the demo on Switch this morning and was shocked at how much it felt like Persona 5 just with different battles. WIll be interesting to see all that it has but I'm sold on it.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
I hope to god they actually put some effort into the story for a spin-off game for once. I was excited for 4 Dancing to have a story mode until I actually played it. Shit was straight up nonsensical and flanderized the characters to hell and back. Chile's only defining trait was that she liked meat

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
If they were going to make a sequel I would have preferred the original combat system. I've never enjoyed a musou and I doubt I'll suddenly start liking them after Zelda and Fire Emblem whiffed.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Dates with Makoto is the deciding factor for if I am to buy the game or not.
... If I wasn't a musou fan, I would be exactly right there with you.
I love Makoto.
And even as a musou fan, I'll be so disappointed if there's no true dates.
Watch those screenshot of dates be some kind of super ambiguous shit "oh oh is it a date hmmm I wonder ?" that you can do with every character at the end of their social link, without truly acknowledging that Joker is in relationship with that person.

No, I'd rather wait for it to be closer to release in the West before trying a demo.

Still interested but it's just a bit disappointing.
To be fair, P5S shouldn't be lumped in as a standard Musou themed as Persona. If anything, there's a greater emphasis on RPG elements and exploration. Yes, it features Musou-like combat, but consensus is that P5S is an Action RPG than a Musou.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Usually musou games doesn't take long to get localized, but Atlus gonna Atlus and drag this for several months.
One, this isn't a usual Musou, wouldn't be surprised if there's more dialogue here then you're usual fair.

Two, there's currently another Persona game about to release so I doubt they want to release it right away.

I personally expect we'll get Scramble this year, probably around fall.

May 13, 2019
I hope to god they actually put some effort into the story for a spin-off game for once. I was excited for 4 Dancing to have a story mode until I actually played it. Shit was straight up nonsensical and flanderized the characters to hell and back. Chile's only defining trait was that she liked meat
Supposedly, PQ2 fixed most stuff regarding the portrayal of the characters.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
... If I wasn't a musou fan, I would be exactly right there with you.
I love Makoto.
And even as a musou fan, I'll be so disappointed if there's no true dates.
Watch those screenshot of dates be some kind of super ambiguous shit "oh oh is it a date hmmm I wonder ?" that you can do with every character at the end of their social link, without truly acknowledging that Joker is in relationship with that person.

I completely agree, it irks me that there's no way to carry over save data from base game. I doubt they'll ever acknowledge the relationship stuff.

It was a problem in the regular game too. The relationship stuff never mattered that much outside of specific days like Valentine's or Confidant dates. Not that I was expecting anything big since it would take away from the plot, but there's virtually nothing at all.

I was mostly joking though. Being a Warriors fan since 3 and huge Persona fan it's hard to turn Scramble down.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Looking forward to this. I like having the portability, so I'll be grabbing it on Switch.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Persona 4 Arena was pitched as a sequel too and it was nothing but a bunch of teasing fanfiction.

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to play this. Loved the setting in P5, the character designs, even a few of the characters themselves. It'll be nice to revisit all of that with a new story and gameplay. Didn't like P5, but I'm still hyped for this.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
I've been thinking on this too, so I'm glad a thread was posted.

I was under the assumption that P5:R would also have a sequence "after" the main game.

What is the order is it:

P5 > P5:R > P5:S

or is it something weirder like

P5 > P5:S > PS:R

Any hints shown in trailers or datamine would be helpful.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Persona 4 Arena was pitched as a sequel too and it was nothing but a bunch of teasing fanfiction.
........it was a sequel what are you talking about?

Anyway sequel here is clearing referring to the fact that it's gameplay loop is similar to P5's so again not sure what your comment is about.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I was under the assumption that P5:R would also have a sequence "after" the main game.

What is the order is it:

P5 > P5:R > P5:S

or is it something weirder like

P5 > P5:S > PS:R

Any hints shown in trailers or datamine would be helpful.
Royal and Scramble seem to be in a similar scenario to what happened to Persona 4 Golden and Persona 4 Arena. They were made very close together so it seems that they won't acknowledged each other.

The new story stuff from Royal is right after the main game, Scramble takes place even further after that. We most likely won't see stuff from Royal in Scramble till DLC or a sequel though.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
........it was a sequel what are you talking about?

Anyway sequel here is clearing referring to the fact that it's gameplay loop is similar to P5's so again not sure what your comment is about.

If the use of the word sequel is in regards to persona-like gameplay I can't speak to that. I was thinking more in terms of story. I found the story of Arena disappointing so my initial reaction is distrust they'll pull off a satisfying story that actually develops the old characters. Arena is definitely a sequel to P4 as far as the story is concerned. I just think calling it that is overly generous.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

P4A was pitched as a continuation of the story, but they never tried to have a story mode that actually mimicked P4 visually, basic gameplay elements like collecting Persona and fusion, nor the cheeky "2" number play at the end of a trailer.

P5R has most of its new story content
after the original final boss, but before the actual ending/final epilogue scenes. P5S takes place months after P5's actual ending.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Unlike P4G which distributed new events throughout the calendar, most of the new content added by Royal
happens after the original final boss. There are some additions beforehand, including new gimmicks for all boss battles, and some extras outside of the main plot too, like the new confidants, but most of the big new content is only at end game.

The game just continues with new dungeons and a new final boss after the original end-game. The new party members also only join at this point. However, this all still takes place before the epilogue (which is modified by 5R but not in a way that would clash with P5S even if it only references the original P5, I think).

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Unlike P4G which distributed new events throughout the calendar, most of the new content added by Royal
happens after the original final boss. There are some additions beforehand, including new gimmicks for all boss battles, and some extras outside of the main plot too, like the new confidants, but most of the big new content is only at end game.

The game just continues with new dungeons and a new final boss after the original end-game. The new party members also only join at this point. However, this all still takes place before the epilogue (which is modified by 5R but not in a way that would clash with P5S even if it only references the original P5, I think).

Ahh alright I somehow interpreted that as all the story events of P5S would happen in P5R

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ahh alright I somehow interpreted that as all the story events of P5S would happen in P5R
The two games were developed at the exact same time. And the story of S was pitched by KT and revised by Atlus until they came to what they have now. The two games don't take each other into account similar to P4G and the first Arena game. But considering its Atlus, Royal and Scramble both still happen even if there are discrepancies but there is enough wiggle room to come up with excuses for character absences or plot not being acknowledged in future stories.

Plus being both KT and Atlus, bet they gonna have Royal character DLC. (and P3 and P4 lmao. MILK)

Last edited:

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Yeah thanks for making this thread OP, I didn't find out till a couple days ago and was shocked. I figured it'd be a retelling of the original story.