• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
[edit 2: Feel free to post impressions if you have the game!]
[edit: See threadmarks for additional screenshots, trailers, and news]

Well, that was quicker than I anticipated. I called it an adventure game series in the last thread, but I feel like that nuance is different in English than Japanese. It's mostly a VN, but there's also a big focus on selecting your routes and viewing the scenery. There's also a bit of dating sim in there, too.

Trailer:

19 seconds of gameplay:

Fuuraiki-4_2020_12-24-20_003.jpg

■ An Adventure Through Real-Life Scenery

The protagonist, Chihiro Sasaki (name can be changed), is a mid-level reportage writer who sets foot in Gifu after being asked by the Gifu Shimbun (Gifu Newspaper Company) to participate in "NohiCom," a reporting competition between magazine publishers.

The player will travel by motorcycle around the real-life scenery of Gifu, gather information, and take photographs in the field to write articles. Aim for the top spot in the competition with the work you produce. You have four weeks. What will you find in Gifu? How will you take it in? And how will you tell the world?

Fuuraiki-4_2020_12-24-20_004.jpg

■ Set in Beautiful Gifu

The Fuuraiki series has so far traveled to Hokkaido (Fuuraiki, Fuuraiki 3) and Okinawa (Fuuraiki 2), which are based in the northeast and southwest of Japan. And now for Fuuraiki 4, the series travels to Gifu, the heart of Japan. To be frank, Gifu has a low level of national recognition. For this reason, it is full of uncultivated charm and intrigue. Go on a journey to discover the unseen side of Gifu.
—Gero Onsen: One of Japan's most famous hot springs. It is also blessed with an abundance of nature such as rivers and forests.
Fuuraiki-4_2020_12-24-20_009.jpg

■ A Journey by Motorcycle

"Go on a journey by motorcycle in the comfort of your home." This is the foundation of the Fuuraiki series. In Fuuraiki 4, the motorcycle journey has been significantly enhanced. You can travel by motorcycle through scenery captured with a 360-degree camera.

Furthermore, in Fuuraiki 4, the motorcycle ride itself is recorded in video. Enjoy a pleasant motorcycle journey with an overwhelming sense of realism through a 360-degree camera plus video. And while dangerous in real life, taking your eyes off the road while driving is not a problem in the game. Enjoy the beautiful scenery of Gifu to your heart's content.
Fuuraiki-4_2020_12-24-20_010.jpg

Fuuraiki-4_2020_12-24-20_014.jpg

Fuuraiki-4_2020_12-24-20_007.jpg

Tons more info and screenshots over at Gematsu that are totally worth taking a look at.
www.gematsu.com

Fuuraiki 4 debut trailer, gameplay, details, and screenshots

Publisher Nippon Ichi Software and developer Fog have released the debut trailer, gameplay, information, and screenshots for its newly announced travel adventure game sequel Fuuraiki 4, which is du…

I'm super impressed. The budget seems much higher than past games. The film quality and capture looks really nice, and one of the biggest things of note is that it's being done with 360 degree cameras.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Just realized this game very likely received money from the Gifu department of tourism. Not exactly a popular travel spot compared to many other prefectures (but it's a place I've always wanted to visit, because of its natural and historical landmarks).

Tenck

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I don't have a ps4 or Switch right now. Hopefully it's successful enough that they'd bring it to PC.
Thanks for the thread OP. I'll pass it along to my friends.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. Anything that's typically "real-world" Japan or Train Stuff never gets localized.

The Japanese version of Japanese Rail Sim: Journey to Kyoto (Tetsudou Nippon! Rosen Tabi: Eizan Densha Hen) for PS4 and Switch has an English localization built-in (thanks to the original 3DS version being localized). Dispatch Games announced they're bringing the Switch version over back in December 2019 (not sure about the PS4 version since this was well before that version was announced for Japan), but it's Dispatch Games which means it's probably never coming out, so I'd just say import the Japanese PS4 or Switch versions if you want to play it in English.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

Remember how much of a surprise it was to everyone that even happened lol.

The Japanese version of Japanese Rail Sim: Journey to Kyoto (Tetsudou Nippon! Rosen Tabi: Eizan Densha Hen) for PS4 and Switch has an English localization built-in (thanks to the original 3DS version being localized). Dispatch Games announced they're bringing the Switch version over back in December 2019 (not sure about the PS4 version since this was well before that version was announced for Japan), but it's Dispatch Games which means it's probably never coming out, so I'd just say import the Japanese PS4 or Switch versions if you want to play it in English.

Oh cool, that's good to know!

Musouka

Dec 31, 2017
No chance of hitting Steam either?

I guess the Switch would do, but not sure if it's worth a whole ¥7,678

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
No chance of hitting Steam either?

I guess the Switch would do, but not sure if it's worth a whole ¥7,678
Nothing is impossible, but that's even less likely than it being localized. 3 was on PC, so I bet the only way you'd see it on steam is being locked to Japanese accounts like the next idolmaster (maybe slightly less strict, though).

Check out the third game of even the first for cheap to help you gauge if it's worth it. For me, it's probably worth it. My motorcycle license won't work (not supposed to use an international temp license with a resident card) if I move back to Japan, so this is the closest I get for the foreseeable future haha.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Ah darn, this surely would fit perfectly on Steam, shame. Hope it gets localized even if the changes are slim.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
Gifu is one of the most beautiful places I visited in Japan, and my heart aches watching that trailer. With travel realistically on hold for a few years, I'd probably pick it up if it were localized.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Man I would pay full-price if it were localized, I love games where I can just soak a whole different place in atmosphere-wise :(

Musouka

Dec 31, 2017
Nothing is impossible, but that's even less likely than it being localized. 3 was on PC, so I bet the only way you'd see it on steam is being locked to Japanese accounts like the next idolmaster (maybe slightly less strict, though).

Check out the third game of even the first for cheap to help you gauge if it's worth it. For me, it's probably worth it. My motorcycle license won't work (not supposed to use an international temp license with a resident card) if I move back to Japan, so this is the closest I get for the foreseeable future haha.

I did searched on Japanese Steam but couldn't find anything.

The first 2 installments were on PS2. 風雨来記3 is on PSVita. Even used copies on Amazon go for ¥5,000. Might as well get the latest one in April.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
This looks really charming and I'd love it if it was localised. A man can dream.

Musouka

Dec 31, 2017
1 was on PS1. 3 was on PC and Vita, but I don't think it was on Steam. I should've been clearer.

No worries. The physical PC version is way more expensive than the Vita on the marketplace.

Fortunately, 風雨来記3 is only ¥3,666 on the PS Store (the original 風雨来記 is also available under PS1 Classics for ¥628).

Will give them a try. Thanks for all the info.

screenshots and additional details on game flow
OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
New news.

www.gematsu.com

Fuuraiki 4 details game flow

Publisher Nippon Ichi Software and developer Fog released new information and screenshots for Fuuraiki 4 introducing the game flow and some of the approximately 100 spots players will visit in Gifu…

Damn... these pictures make me miss living in rural Japan a bit.
Fuuraiki-4_2021_02-11-21_011.png

Fuuraiki-4_2021_02-11-21_019.png

Fuuraiki-4_2021_02-11-21_020.png

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
This series is one of those VNs where I'm always like "gosh, I wish my Japanese was better to fully understand them." I mean I could give it a try, but with a VN you want to 100% understand it and not just 50%. Maybe one day... Until then I reeeeally hope some publisher will give it a chance and localize it. I know it's even more niche, but that would most certainly be a dream come true. I doubt it's going to happen, though.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
New news.

www.gematsu.com

Fuuraiki 4 details game flow

Publisher Nippon Ichi Software and developer Fog released new information and screenshots for Fuuraiki 4 introducing the game flow and some of the approximately 100 spots players will visit in Gifu…

Damn... these pictures make me miss living in rural Japan a bit.
Fuuraiki-4_2021_02-11-21_011.png

Fuuraiki-4_2021_02-11-21_019.png

Fuuraiki-4_2021_02-11-21_020.png

Honestly rural Japan is a place I want to experience atleast once in my life.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like living in Shimane or Yamaguchi, but I sure liked traveling around in both prefectures. Shimane has the most beautiful places I've seen personally in Japan. Lush, gorgeous coastline and atmospheric, foggy mountains. Wonderful.

Yeah I can definitely see that the areas alone would make for mesmerizing experiences. I'm curious though, why didn't you like living there? I grew up and still live in a very rural city in Germany so a more quiet life is something I'm used to and enjoy but I know the cultural difference alone would be huge.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Yeah I can definitely see that the areas alone would make for mesmerizing experiences. I'm curious though, why didn't you like living there? I grew up and still live in a very rural city in Germany so a more quiet life is something I'm used to and enjoy but I know the cultural difference alone would be huge.
I grew up on a mountain outside of town in the US, which isn't exactly rural... but not really a typical suburban area, either. So I love the natural beauty of rural places in Japan, but it was much harder for me to make friends in those areas compared to when I lived in Tokyo. I also didn't love being stared at wherever I went. The fact that my job sucked probably didn't help, either. I felt pretty isolated (all my friends were in Tokyo/Osaka), so I don't know that I'd want to ever live in rural Japan again. I love traveling through those areas still, though! I know non-Japanese people that adapted really well to rural life, so it's definitely a me thing.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Damn. Those are some good pics.
I have barely experienced rural Japan, Hakone and whatever I saw on the Tokaido Shinkansen.
But whenever I see pics I really wanna go visit.
Shame this is 100% not getting a localization.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I grew up on a mountain outside of town in the US, which isn't exactly rural... but not really a typical suburban area, either. So I love the natural beauty of rural places in Japan, but it was much harder for me to make friends in those areas compared to when I lived in Tokyo. I also didn't love being stared at wherever I went. The fact that my job sucked probably didn't help, either. I felt pretty isolated (all my friends were in Tokyo/Osaka), so I don't know that I'd want to ever live in rural Japan again. I love traveling through those areas still, though! I know non-Japanese people that adapted really well to rural life, so it's definitely a me thing.

Thanks for sharing this! This actually lines up with what I heard from Japanese friends that it's sadly much harder to connect with others in rural areas compared to urban areas when you join a new community but I guess that isn't exclusive to Japan.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

I want this poster
"To the center of Japan YOU don't know about"
Ooh, ask if you can have it when they're done advertising.
Thanks for sharing this! This actually lines up with what I heard from Japanese friends that it's sadly much harder to connect with others in rural areas compared to urban areas when you join a new community but I guess that isn't exclusive to Japan.
Some people get lucky and meet someone friendly that pulls them into their social circle, but my only friends were guys that worked at a local cafe/bar haha.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, ask if you can have it when they're done advertising.

Some people get lucky and meet someone friendly that pulls them into their social circle, but my only friends were guys that worked at a local cafe/bar haha.

Sorry to hear :( But yeah sometimes you just get lucky, if anything I would like to make a vacation there for a month or so!

delayed
OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Delayed for quality improvements. It was originally slated for April 22nd, so that's not a small delay. I'm okay with a wait.

www.gematsu.com

Fuuraiki 4 delayed to July 8 in japan

Nippon Ichi Software has delayed Fuuraiki 4 from its previously planned April 22 release date in Japan to July 8. It will be available for PlayStation 4 and Switch.

More screenshots, article system detailed
OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
More news
www.gematsu.com

Fuuraiki 4 details navigation, photographs, articles, and more Gifu prefecture spots

Publisher Nippon Ichi Software and developer Fog released new information and screenshots for Fuuraiki 4 introducing navigation, photographs, article posting, and more of the spots you will visit i…
■ Post Articles and Aim for the Top Rank
The player is a mid-level reportage writer who participates in "NohiCom," a reporting competition between magazine publishers, and publishes articles online. Write articles using the photographs taken at each spot and aim for the top rank in the competition.
Fuuraiki-4_2021_04-02-21_013.png

Fuuraiki-4_2021_04-02-21_015.png

The competition ranking will fluctuate based on the performance of your articles and the materials you utilized. Articles will also receive "Likes" and comments, giving players a taste of real travel blogging.
Here are some pics:
Fuuraiki-4_2021_04-02-21_009.png

Fuuraiki-4_2021_04-02-21_010.png

Fuuraiki-4_2021_04-02-21_017.png

Fuuraiki-4_2021_04-02-21_019.png

Fuuraiki-4_2021_04-02-21_021.png

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Thanks! A couple of questions:

1. can the game be played even though you can't speak Japanese?

2. How did the Furaiki franchise survive all these years with such low sales?
1. I think it could be difficult with the article writing portion of the game (though I don't know how important that will be), and I'm not exactly sure how fun the rest would be if you can't read it. If you're interested in just seeing the sights, maybe ask again how that might go if there's an import OT or in here when it releases.

2. I do not know. Maybe salromano has thoughts on that.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Thanks for the thread OP, I might give this a try. I used to do road trips in rural Japan and this is good nostalgia haha.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has never been to Japan this looks really interesting. Simply to experience a slice of the country.

Light-Cloud

Apr 3, 2021
This looks really interesting. I'm guessing a western release is highly unlikely, unfortunately. I wonder how playable it would be without any Japanese language knowledge. It might be the closest I get to visiting Japan in a very long time.