• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
FutureGrind for the Nintendo Switch is now on sale for $1.99 until May 30th, which a number of us noticed in the great monthly eShop thread as well as the most recent eShop sales thread, but I feel like this deserves mention on its own.

Previous Resetera thread: OlliOlli + Trials = FutureGrind

It's a very recent game having just released on January 22nd for Steam, PS4, and Switch.

The developer Matt Rix stated the following on reddit today:
Hey I'm the dev, and yeah it came out four months ago. I normally wouldn't want to do a sale this crazy this soon... We think it's a great game and still worth the $20 price, but the downloads up until now have been quite bad, so we figured at this point it really can't hurt. We'd rather have people playing it than nobody even know it exists :P
Hey I'm one of the devs of FutureGrind so obviously VERY biased, but I think it's good :P The game is partly about survival and partly about tricks and combos. It kind of feels like playing a platform game, but with a bit more analog feel? The most similar game I can think of is Olli Olli, but people who like THPS/Skate/Trials or even something like Celeste will probably enjoy it too.

The fact that the game is hard to describe is probably one of the reasons it didn't sell very well in the first place ;)

I picked up the game today and, having played the first few stages, I've enjoyed it a great deal so far. And later on, my 4-year-old nephew played the first level for 10-15 minutes having a blast with it too. Visuals and performance seem fantastic, it looks to be a real quality game - if anyone is wondering, it has a metacritic score of 80 and 81 for the Switch and PS4 versions respectively.

One can speculate whether a $15 price tag closer to impulse buy-range would have made a difference compared to its standard $20 price, but I can't speak to the economics and costs of the game. What I do know is that this sale certainly deserves to be highlighted, and hopefully this catapults the game up the best-selling chart to garner the greater attention it probably deserves. It's $2, definitely check it out.

Our own NateDrake spotlighted the first 12 minutes with the game, introducing the initial concepts and controls, which was what caught my eye to begin with:

Feel free to share your impressions if you've already played it or are now playing it for the first time too. Thanks.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
lol the stock pictures used as the people talking to you.

Gameplay looks like it might be fun though.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
It's very unusual for a good game to go on such a steep sale so quickly. You normally see junk go on sale like that. I highly recommend this one.

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
I was interested in this when it launched, but the price tag always felt a little too high and I had other options I was also interested in. Definitely picking this up now though, that's a way deeper discount than I would expect this early on.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
Well, you got me to look at a game I've never heard of, and bought it with my few gold coins. Seems like a fun game. Thanks OP

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It has a really fresh icon too:

1707.png

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I think that at a 10$ price point the game would've faired alot better but I don't want to sound like I'm trying to lowball the devs/publishers for asking 20$ for the game. With that said I'll gladly jump on board at it's current sale price, it looks quite fun from the videos that I've seen.

hurroocane

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I had no idea this even existed and I guess without this thread I probably would have never bought it. For 2 bucks I'll definitely bite.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
I purchased this at $20 because it's a Canadian-made game and I wanted to support the devs, and have zero regrets.

I really hope this sale works out for them. Please do take a look at purchasing this title - it's extremely fun, and scratches the Trials itch for me in a great way.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
played through this on PC back when it launched, one of my favorite games of the year so far.

$2 is a crazy price

Ready2Rokk

Oct 29, 2017
I'd bite at $10 for PS4...hoping to see a discount there in the future(grind). The fact is that I'm just so swamped with other stuff. But it's on my wishlist.

bradigor

Oct 27, 2017
Got some gold left so happy to give it a try at that price.

Was tempted before but had too much of a backlog building up as it was to buy at full price. Sorry devs

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Damn this game is actually legit. Sucks that it slipped through the cracks but at least it's a no-brainer at this price and the high quality will lead to good word of mouth, I'll certainly be recommending it to others. It's easily worth $20 but I think $10 would be a more solid price point for a game that looks so simple on the surface.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the FYI on this -- looks fun although I have a feeling this will trip me up the same way Ikaruga did. Oh well, for two bucks I'll give it a shot. :)

Edit: Like others mentioned, I had no idea this existed until today. Also, the image being used in the eShop (especially looking at it in handheld mode) makes zero sense. So I think some minor adjustments could help it stand out.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
The $1.99 cheapy category on the eShop is a thing, and it's nice to hear that this is a quality exception, but...

Is that fucking Ikaruga Uniracers?

Ms. Virion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Frozen Hoosier Wasteland
Thanks for the headsup. I wouldn't have bought it without this thread recommending it and having just played around an hour of it I'm do glad I did. Awesome game and an incredible steal at that price.

btmash

Oct 27, 2017
I hadn't heard of this game until now (and someone describing it as uniracers meets ikaruga pretty much sold me on it). I've played it for about 15 minutes now and I'm just loving it. The visuals are great, and I'm especially enjoying the music.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've purchased worse for much more so I'll bite.

This actually looks good and the handful of reviews seem very positive.

EDIT: Nabbed it on the E-shop here at work. Looking forward to playing it later.

Deleted member 39144

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Is this US only? I can't find it on the UK eshop at all.

Edit: Never mind, I'm an idiot. Its all one word and I was splitting them up.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
This game is really fun. It's a total steal for $1.99. The later stages get creative and will challenge the player in some neat ways. Shame it hasn't sold well because it deserves success. Definitely a hidden eShop gem.

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
Thanks for the heads-up! Never knew about this game, and it scratches the itch after the Olli-Olli games. I've been playing for 2 hours now, it's a blast. Seems there are secrets in the game too.

meaulnes

Oct 27, 2017
I usually avoid buying games just because they are cheap enough... but in this case I just did it, seems like an interesting idea and well executed from the little I have seen. Hope the huge discount helps promote the game.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
I saw it on the store and thought it was a mistake but bought it. Haven't tried it but Olli Olli/ Trials / hard platformers are my jam so looking forward to playing it

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Bought!

How many hours of gameplay should I except from this?

Going to be traveling a total of 20+ hours overseas over the next week, so my Switch is going to really show its worth

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Do the levels ever get longer than what's in the 12-minute preview Nate did? Or is the whole point of games like this to do just really short tricky levels?

Looks super cool but the levels just look so short to me ):