• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you view the new Nintendo Switch model in terms of a hardware upgrade?

• As a mid-gen refresh (e.g. Xbox One S → Xbox One X, etc.)

Votes: 114 48.7%
  • As an iterative successor (e.g. iPhone 11 → iPhone 12, etc.)

Votes: 120 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Unsure how to interpret the Bloomberg stuff now esp since their sources are clearly getting a lot of correct info in general but there was nothing dlss to be seen here. A failure in analysis? Mix of good and bad sources? Change in Nintendo plans? Mixing of multiple products?
Probably the last option, as the info about DLSS has been coroborated by several sources, by the idea about OLED displays was also typically paired with the "Aula" unit.

There was a time in the discussion where it was mentioned that there might actually be two SKUs going about: One being a refresh (probably silent, I guess not so much "silent" anymore), and another being the "successor". This was also around the time DF released their first DF Direct Video.

I think John on NAte's podcast also stated too that there could be potentially two SKUs. And I think that's starting to look more and more the general case, since the 2022 lineup seems to be pretty beefed up and geared up for something.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get the shock and awe. Unless we assume everything we heard from every source is just plain false there is some sort of device coming relatively soon. This feels more they just refreshed the normal Switch which isn't crazy. I feel like we discussed this opportunity.
We actually did when Aula was all the rage, it just seemed strange because there was no indication in the info that there were two separate models at the time.
Turns out that 2 model scenario may have been the case.

Last edited:

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The Nintendo Switch (OLED Model) strikes me as neither a mid-gen refresh nor an iterative successor. It's basically the Nintendo Switch with an OLED display, since it's still using the Tegra X1+, and an improved Dock.

It's basically just a 3DS XL. Larger better display and...not much else. Exact same internal hardware.

If Aula was the absolute "minimum" people were expecting, well...this is below that.
Aula it is after all.

Aula was at least rumored to have some kind of 4K output. This doesn't.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't really get the shock and awe. Unless we assume everything we heard from every source is just plain false there is some sort of device coming relatively soon. This feels more they just refreshed the normal Switch which isn't crazy. I feel like we discussed this opportunity.
I mean, I can understand why people are shaken (I am a little myself tbh lol), but you're absolutely right that there is more to it than just ''oh it didn't happen when I thought it would happen, now we must burn everything down.' When the sources are as varied as they are in this case, there's probably something going on, but alas, it will remain a mystery for now.

Aula was at least rumored to have some kind of 4K output. This doesn't.
Yep, this device isn't even Aula, it's less than that. Definitely not something that would fit any of the rumours so far.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I hope people don't act like assholes towards Nate since he was also speculating about two models releasing : the Switch Oled and whatever the "Pro" is (a revision or full on successor).

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I somewhat doubt 2022 at this point. My guess would by spring 2023 for the 6-year anniversary of the original Switch launch. 2022 is not impossible, but might get them some negative press for obsoleting the OLED model that quickly.
Launch times are decided by how current models are selling to a degree so it won't surprise me if they'll ride them till 2023. The chip itself may be produced for a 2022 launch, there's more than enough time for that.
Have to say that the rumors of new Switch SoC using Lovelace GPU make a lot more sense now if it will launch in 22-23.

Let what go? There will inevitably be a new console from Nintendo at some point.

LiC

Dec 1, 2017
So basically there's going to be a Pro model of this, which might have been intended for release this year. Those four listings on Amazon were probably real. Two SKUs for "New Nintendo Switch 64 GB" and two SKUs for "New Nintendo Switch Pro."
Correcting this: The one that specified 64 GB was actually a Best Buy listing (and it was $300), and Best Buy never had a real "Pro" SKU.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

Look, i don't know shit about hardware production and distribution, but i feel like i'm right on the money when i say that if this (imo unneeded) revision is due in October, so 3 months out, then there won't be another hardware release coming until after summer 2022.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
We actually did when Aula was all the rage, it just seemed strange because there was no indication in the info that there were two separate models at the time.
Turns out that may have been the case.
I'd say the contrary. This proves that the Aula unit is the OLED and the "Pro" with DLSS is probably something else entirely. The idea of having a separate refresh and successor unit are not mutually exclusive.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As far as features for this OLED switch it seems the recent leak talking about an ethernet in the dock and surface-esque stand were correct.
I'd say the contrary. This proves that the Aula unit is the OLED and the "Pro" with DLSS might be something else.
That's what I meant, just worded the second sentence incorrectly.

Shaoran Hyku

Aug 6, 2020
I understand that someone might be disappointed, but the amount of people I see on twitter angry about the announcement is....

Darrilium

Jan 3, 2020
I mean, I can understand why people are shaken (I am a little myself tbh lol), but you're absolutely right that there is more to it than just ''oh it didn't happen when I thought it would happen, now we must burn everything down.' When the sources are as varied as they are in this case, there's probably something going on, but alas, it will remain a mystery for now.
Same thing happened with Star Fox Grand Prix though, and it didn't make it any more real.

Dec 2, 2020
What a joke... I think it's time for me to seriously just think about buying their software then emulating the Switch on PC to play at higher resolutions.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
As far as features for this OLED switch it seems the recent leak talking about an ethernet in the dock and surface-esque stand were correct.

If you mean that one where it was said to be coming from chinese production sources, then no. That was also talking about 4K and improved hardware components.

But these two things were the only things it got wrong. Well and the staggered release for Europe.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I started seriously doubting the stronger model with DLSS because of two things -

1) Brainchild saying the chip hasn't been taped yet not so long ago yet production already starting

2) Bloomberg's reporting that the new model will replace the existing model. It did not make sense to me that a much stronger model with DLSS would outright start replacing OG Switch without its being "Switch 2", which I did not believe Nintendo was ready for. This made me think that the model reported as replacing the OG Switch would be some other model, and not the "Pro".

Last edited:

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you mean that one where it was said to be coming from chinese production sources, then no. That was also talking about 4K and improved hardware components.

But these two things were the only things it got wrong. Well and the staggered release for Europe.
I was referring to the Vandal leak, which I don't think mentioned 4K?
edit: actually it did. Yeah, then I'm not sure. It got some things right, some things wrong.

Mod message in regards to hostility to insiders and other members regarding OLED model

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Official Staff Communication
We understand this announcement goes against some of the insider leaks. Being disappointed and upset with some of the those leaks and insider sources in general is fine, but direct call-outs / hostility towards any specific insiders will be met with moderation.

LiC

Dec 1, 2017
HAC is Handheld And Console. HDH is Handheld Dedicated Handheld. What's HEG? The first H probably just indicates the Switch line now and doesn't have to actually make sense with the other letters.

That's what I meant, just worded the second sentence incorrectly.
Funny that the article which reported all that claimed to confirm it had 4K output when docked.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
But Aula was rumoured/datamined to feature 4K output. There were even crazy predictions of using a Mediatek SoC on the Dock to upscale the image to 4K. This is neither Pro nor Aula.
If I'm not mistaken, Aula was datamined with the mention of an OLED screen "of undefined resolution", hence why the rumors started.

Look, i don't know shit about hardware production and distribution, but i feel like i'm right on the money when i say that if this (imo unneeded) revision is due in October, so 3 months out, then there won't be another hardware release coming until after summer 2022.
Summer 2022 sounds like a good time for when Splatoon 3 comes out.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be frank, speculation about hardware coming next year seems like ludicrous levels of cope.

I'll go back to expecting a successor console in 2024.

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
Can I get insider status now for calling this an hour before it happened lol /s

Edit: posted this before I saw the mod post. This wasn't meant to be a callout. Just poking fun, feel free to delete if it's too much

Last edited:

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
7" Oled screen, 64GB, enhanced sound, better stand, ethernet port, I would said thats are solid improvments for $50 difference,
also $50 price difference makes most sense compared to regular model, $319 or $329 would be little weird.

Actually costs of chips are up from Covid start.

Not for $49 with the same old hardware that has been out since 2016 and runs most games are sub optimal resolution and frame rate.

I would be more than ok if it at least got a faster CPU, GPU and memory for the games that I own right now

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm not mistaken, Aula was datamined with the mention of an OLED screen "of undefined resolution", hence why the rumors started.

Summer 2022 sounds like a good time for when Splo\atoon 3 comes out.

We're in theory / speculation area now, mind you, but this would be the "idea" scenario. A fall release around the timeframe of the OLED this year would be much more likely.

Tryol

Jan 21, 2021
People should stop saying that this is the Aula.
Nintendo gave us something even worse.

At least it's a good entry point for people like me who don't own a Switch.
I'm still disappointed though.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
So basically there's going to be a Pro model of this, which might have been intended for release this year. Those four listings on Amazon were probably real. Two SKUs for "New Nintendo Switch 64 GB" and two SKUs for "New Nintendo Switch Pro."

The price surprises me. If there's still a 4K model releasing this year, its got to be $450 or higher. If next year, then I suppose this device will drop to $300 once the 2019 model is phased out.

$350 for this device feels like a lower value proposition to me in Oct 2021 than the NSW did at $300 in Mar 2017.

So did I. A refresh model to replace the existing hybrid + 4K pro was definitely speculated (don't think any insider mentioned such a scenario though). Why should I assume that the announcements end here?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be frank, speculation about hardware coming next year seems like ludicrous levels of cope.

given how Nvidia develops SoCs, a 2024 Switch wouldn't be any different than a 2022 Switch

Nah there will be atleast a 2 year gap minimum between this oled switch and switch 2
the biggest reason I don't agree is because Nvidia isn't gonna be making a new SoC for quite some time. at best, we'd just get the current rumored Orin derivative

Last edited:

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I honestly don't think it'll come next year, but if we are already hearing as detailed of leaks as we did about the successor I'm not sure we'll be waiting till 2024 to see it.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
Seems like a Switch XL, disappointing, but oh well. That doesn't mean there isn't a new one coming next year, but I think this may prevent the revision coming this one. And as it has been said, the revision could be treated as a successor due to it's specs, we will see. Nintendo is kind of unpredictable. I'd argue they are doing this because they got the OLED screens and have a bunch of TX1+ they want to get rid of before the revision/succ is announced. If this one is supposed to phase out the OG Switch, it may drop in price in 2 years maybe, or when the succ is announced.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
And before anyone says I'm walking back my statements....

I appreciate all your posts here and am happy you contribute with your technical knowledge and also just play it straight..

Nothing you have said in this thread is inconsistent. In fact, pretty much all the info we have gotten has been consistent.

Yall rock.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just thinking back now to all the stuff that was discussed in previous weeks. What in the world was kopite referring to with T239?