• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you view the new Nintendo Switch model in terms of a hardware upgrade?

• As a mid-gen refresh (e.g. Xbox One S → Xbox One X, etc.)

Votes: 114 48.7%
  • As an iterative successor (e.g. iPhone 11 → iPhone 12, etc.)

Votes: 120 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
Actually I think someone did the math a couple years ago when we were waiting on Mariko, they said a 7.3inch screen would fit where the bezels are.
vrVicu7.jpg

I love this. With Mini LED this will shine

Excellent explanation of how DLSS works.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna head off a lot of the comments that crop up about DLSS.

all this comes from this presentation Nvidia did on DLSS 2.0. it answers pretty much every question people has about DLSS, but I'm gonna post a couple of screens from it

"wouldn't tensor cores use more power than a gpu without tensor cores?"

when you diminish the gpu usage overall, you reduce power consumption
l54VcBI.png

"why not DLSS in the dock?" and "DLSS for every game as on OS function?"

DLSS is integrated deeply into the game engine

here, DLSS happens before post processing. the dock just scales and outputs an image to the tv. stuff like MCable does addition processing to the final frame, but that's pretty much a fancy sharpening function

wcoir65.png

the reason you can't use DLSS as an OS function is because the DLSS SDK needs these inputs. not every game makes these inputs, like pixel art games. trying to force will probably just get you an ugly-ass image

Y6QFJQR.png

"is integration a lot of work"

not if you already support TAA, which most major engines do

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do the bezels on the current switch serve any actual purpose, were they needed in order to even make the system or are they there just to be there

Is it even possible to make the current system without the bezels by looking at tear downs?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna head off a lot of the comments that crop up about DLSS.

all this comes from this presentation Nvidia did on DLSS 2.0. it answers pretty much every question people has about DLSS, but I'm gonna post a couple of screens from it

"wouldn't tensor cores use more power than a gpu without tensor cores?"

when you diminish the gpu usage overall, you reduce power consumption
l54VcBI.png

"why not DLSS in the dock?" and "DLSS for every game as on OS function?"

DLSS is integrated deeply into the game engine

here, DLSS happens before post processing. the dock just scales and outputs an image to the tv. stuff like MCable does addition processing to the final frame, but that's pretty much a fancy sharpening function

wcoir65.png

the reason you can't use DLSS as an OS function is because the DLSS SDK needs these inputs. not every game makes these inputs, like pixel art games. trying to force will probably just get you an ugly-ass image

Y6QFJQR.png

"is integration a lot of work"

not if you already support TAA, which most major engines do

Dakhil maybe you should threadmark or add this post to the OP as a sorta DLSS FAQ?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Here is some specs we can talk about in the meantime:
GPU: 1.2TFLOPs Ampere (about the same as XB1S), features DLSS, basically turning the device into something right between a PS4 and a PS4 Pro when docked.
CPU: 8 A78C cores at 1.2GHz (better than any last gen console)
RAM: 8GB at 88GB/s
Storage: 256GB UFS 2.1 (850MB/s)
Handheld 700GFLOPs + DLSS to achieve better than XB1S performance, 720p MiniLCD display.

This is a low ball spec, I think we might see 1.5TFLOPs and 1.5GHz 8 core CPU, but Nintendo often surprises me, so lets go with a ~2.5x increase in performance here, which seems reasonable given Mariko could have provided a ~2x increase.
speculating that they'd throw in 256GB of storage after clinging to 32GB for a decade seems utopian. I feel I'm already pushing it with expecting a new model to ship with 64GB.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Do the bezels on the current switch serve any actual purpose, were they needed in order to even make the system or are they there just to be there
The Switch is very compactly designed, it's probably the minimum size it could be.

GLtqLoCBIGYkS4kJ.medium

You could perhaps wonder if they could have fitted a 7 inch screen, which they might have, but I guess there's other considerations that went against it (optimal size-to-resolution trade-off, cost, etc.).

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
One thing to note is if you are designing something to survive falls, bezels are your friend.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Is it even possible to make the current system without the bezels by looking at tear downs?
they're just there to be there. they could have gone with a bigger screen, but didn't. probably due to costs

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
For AAA games that want to make the impossible port jump to Switch with the use of DLSS and haven't already implemented it in their games already (assuming PC ports), how difficult would it be to add? Couple extra weeks/months of development time to activate the feature?

e: nvm, missed ILikeFeet 's explanation lol

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
These videos show that whatever jumps Nintendo decides to make on the revision will be enough for me. If DLSS is there, I'll be extremely tempted. Gotta start saving some money.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Actually I think someone did the math a couple years ago when we were waiting on Mariko, they said a 7.3inch screen would fit where the bezels are.
vrVicu7.jpg
So I'm right, just not by a significant amount.

A 7" screen would be more than enough for me if it's 1080p. I won't be upset if they keep it at 6.2" if it's still 720p, however.
I'm not too far off either lol 7.3 vs 7.5

Didn't someone mention specific dimensions that Apple was looking at a new type of screen provided by Innolux, and that if Nintendo piggy backed off the screen dimensions (using Apple's height measurements as their width requirements), it would would work out to 7.3" or something, which meant they didn't have to fight for screen components and could potentially help drive down costs?

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah DLSS is largely the game-changer for a Switch revision. That feature alone will ensure it punches a good bit above its weight.

The prospect of being able to play Splatoon 3 at a potential 1440p+ resolution docked has me salivating.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
speculating that they'd throw in 256GB of storage after clinging to 32GB for a decade seems utopian. I feel I'm already pushing it with expecting a new model to ship with 64GB.
Well, a) they already have the problem that 32 is way to little and
b) did you see whats on the smartphone market? back when the switch releases, we had 16-32 gb phones in the 2-300$ bracket.
Now you can get a 128gb phone for little over 200$...
while 256 seem like a big jump, 128 is more then reasonable. 64 would be a joke if they really want to push higher fidelity games.

they're just there to be there. they could have gone with a bigger screen, but didn't. probably due to costs
Or for power comsumption?

Oct 26, 2017
The Switch is very compactly designed, it's probably the minimum size it could be.

GLtqLoCBIGYkS4kJ.medium

You could perhaps wonder if they could have fitted a 7 inch screen, which they might have, but I guess there's other considerations that went against it (optimal size-to-resolution trade-off, cost, etc.).
Honestly I think they might have settled on a screen size before they had settled on the size of the tablet.. I think that's how they wound up with an identical size to the Wii U gamepad anyway.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't someone mention specific dimensions that Apple was looking at a new type of screen provided by Innolux, and that if Nintendo piggy backed off the screen dimensions (using Apple's height measurements as their width requirements), it would would work out to 7.3" or something, which meant they didn't have to fight for screen components and could potentially help drive down costs?
Never heard about that, I want the bezels to be 90% gone though

I can only imagine playing hollow knight 2 on that on the go

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Well, a) they already have the problem that 32 is way to little and
b) did you see whats on the smartphone market? back when the switch releases, we had 16-32 gb phones in the 2-300$ bracket.
Now you can get a 128gb phone for little over 200$...
while 256 seem like a big jump, 128 is more then reasonable. 64 would be a joke if they really want to push higher fidelity games.
I look less to other markets and products and more to what nintendo tends to go with. In these hardware speculation threads we somehow always end up with affordable looking specs for nintendo devices with lots of modern stuff going by modern standards and the product you buy ends up having very little of them. I remember reading about how super fast the game cards would be before the Switch came out, for example, based on what was theoretically possible and whatnot.

They're not gonna price the thing over what an OG Switch cost at peak price and they're not gonna sell it at a loss so savings are gonna go somewhere.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I look less to other markets and products and more to what nintendo tends to go with. In these hardware speculation threads we somehow always end up with affordable looking specs for nintendo devices with lots of modern stuff going by modern standards and the product you buy ends up having very little of them. I remember reading about how super fast the game cards would be before the Switch came out, for example, based on what was theoretically possible and whatnot.

They're not gonna price the thing over what an OG Switch cost at peak price and they're not gonna sell it at a loss so savings are gonna go somewhere.
One thing I have seen which makes me doubt some of the speculations I see going around, is that when choosing parts, Nintendo mostly will not go for things that are just now (or very recently) coming out - not because they are "cheaping out", but to try to avoid recall situations/achieve maximum product stability. This does not always work out for them, but they try.

So I do not expect any hardware solution that has not existed in 2019 and/or been tested sufficiently in field conditions to be in the coming revision.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I have seen which makes me doubt some of the speculations I see going around, is that when choosing parts, Nintendo mostly will not go for things that are just now (or very recently) coming out - not because they are "cheaping out", but to try to avoid recall situations/achieve maximum product stability. This does not always work out for them, but they try.

So I do not expect any hardware solution that has not existed in 2019 and/or been tested sufficiently in field conditions to be in the coming revision.

They decided to go with Tegra X1 for Switch before Tegra X1 was ever officially announced.

Though I guess that did kinda backfire on them in terms of how hackable it was.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Yea also a good point. While there are exceptions, it's good to remember how conservative they tend to be with these things, regardless of what's theoretically available on the market.

Oct 30, 2017
Holy summarized rumors! Thank you for this, as my launch switch's fan is ailing, I am watching like a hawk for some news. Would really really rather not eat buying a hold over Mariko switch until the next revision is out...

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for making this thread and summarizing the discussion so far. I didn't follow the last one too closely, but I am interested.

fwd-bwd

Jul 14, 2019
That was my post. If my math was correct, the potential display size would be 8.88" or 7.24". The former is too large for the current form factor, unless a new "XL" SKU is coming. Size wise, the latter can fit on the current Switch dimensions but the bezels would be very slim.

During the development of DS, Iwata "told [the designers] to make it so it could survive being dropped from 1.5 meters onto concrete. The hardware design team screamed[.]" If that design priority survives till today, I'm not sure if Nintendo would go for a thin-bezel design.

Edit: Grammar

RedSpring

Aug 23, 2020
If old games can automatically takes advantage of the improved power then all I need is enough improvement to remove the loading bottlenecks. The load time in games like Witcher 3 and Lego City Undercover is unbearable when the Switch's storage is many times faster than the hard drive in PS4 and XB1 and is loading in lower resolution assets as well. That some of discussed specs are way beyond this is extremely exciting and I can't wait for the announcement.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
It is. But it was leaked that in 2014 they had commited to use it. It was kinda developed with Nintendo's needs in mind, apparently.
Ok, but X1 being a 2015 chip fits what I meant. I didn't mean they wouldn't decide on a part before it was developed, I meant that when the revision comes out, more likely than not it won't contain any "too recent" parts - so there most likely wouldn't be (imo) for example 2020 memory types or screens in a 2021 revision, same as there wasn't a 2016 chip in the 2017 Switch.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020
Ok, but X1 being 2015 fits what I meant. I didn't mean they wouldn't decide on a part before it was developed, I meant that when the revision comes out, there won't be any "too recent" parts - so there most likely wouldn't be (imo) 2020 memory types or screens in a 2021 revision, same as there wasn't a 2016 chip in the 2017 Switch.
Well, to be fair there was no 2016 chip that was available like that which was suitable for gaming in that form factor. The Switch had its hardware decided pretty early on from the looks of it, but most of the time after was spent with making tools with nvidia for devs to use from.

The TX2 wasn't really suitable, the Xavier was too big, they could have shrunk it but it clearly was signed way before then for a die shrink from 20 to 16.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Well, to be fair there was no 2016 chip that was available like that which was suitable for gaming in that form factor. The Switch had its hardware decided pretty early on from the looks of it, but most of the time was spent with making tools with nvidia for devs to use from.
Wasn't Parker / X2 (not sure if these are the same) speculated at the time?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Where was this leaked?

I guess I shouldn't have said it was leaked, but the big leak about the proto-Switch device combined with what Tre found about that job listing pointed to that being the case.

Ok, but X1 being a 2015 chip fits what I meant. I didn't mean they wouldn't decide on a part before it was developed, I meant that when the revision comes out, more likely than not it won't contain any "too recent" parts - so there most likely wouldn't be (imo) for example 2020 memory types or screens in a 2021 revision, same as there wasn't a 2016 chip in the 2017 Switch.

Well if we want to believe some of the chatter in the previous thread, the Switch was originally meant to launch in late 2016. So it would've been using a 1 year old chip.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances that existing accessories like Joy-con are compatible with the new Switch? By that extension, even stuff like cases, joy-con grips etc.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
What are the chances that existing accessories like Joy-con are compatible with the new Switch? By that extension, even stuff like cases, joy-con grips etc.
The common consensus is that this is a revision - I don't see why it wouldn't be compatible with the existing controllers. Cases is a different thing though.

daprodigalson

Oct 27, 2017

Aren't the bezels in line with where the guides are inside the Dock? Or am I misremembering?

Dec 21, 2020
Wasn't Parker / X2 (not sure if these are the same) speculated at the time?
It was but it had some features not really suitable for gaming...

I think you would ave gotten what would essentially be similar to what the v2 NS SoC got removing the non gaming related stuff, since they are so similar (similar setup) I don't know the exact die size though, but I'm assuming fairly small like the TX1
Well if we want to believe some of the chatter in the previous thread, the Switch was originally meant to launch in late 2016. So it would've been using a 1 year old chip.
IIRC, that came from SMD leaking info he shouldn't have had regarding the time they were looking to release. They delayed internally. Well, they never told us they delayed it, but delayed it anyway I think

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Never heard about that, I want the bezels to be 90% gone though

I can only imagine playing hollow knight 2 on that on the go

Agreed, I don't even mind the bezels all that much but I didn't want them to be that big on the handheld screen haha

That was my post. If my math was correct, the potential display size would be 8.88" or 7.24". The former is too large for the current form factor, unless a new "XL" SKU is coming. Size wise, the latter can fit on the current Switch dimensions but the bezels would be very slim.

During the development of DS, Iwata "told [the designers] to make it so it could survive being dropped from 1.5 meters onto concrete. The hardware design team screamed[.]" If that design priority survives till today, I'm not sure if Nintendo would go for a thin-bezel design.

Edit: Grammar

Which makes sense to protect the Switch from falls moving forward, but I guess it's difficult to gauge what a handheld hardware device will look like when they're the only ones in the game after Sega and Sony stopped. As you suggested, it's difficult to tell if they're still implementing Iwata's philosophy as much as they can now or simply iterating on what he designed with their new ethos.

Personally I hope they continue to iterate with a new design ethos; keeping the spirit of the Switch alive in itself is a tribute to Iwata's lasting legacy. I certainly hope it maintains a strong foothold in gaming industry as a whole by making smart, forward thinking, tech conscious decisions and an expectation that fans regardless of age in the 21st century have an appreciation for the appropriate handling of technology