• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kernal 64

#TeamThierry
Oct 28, 2017
NY
I'm still learning and unlocking stuff to utilize so while a little basic (and clunky) I really like this mix.. Curious to know what others think.

I do love the game, I feel there should be some addition options when making a mix (specifically a recording). I feel like there is to much you have to do on the fly. But I understand, it's a game, not a sequencer or music making software. Oh well, still really enjoying it. Wish we could have longer clips too!

Great mix! I think I've spent a quarter of me time in the game watching other people's mixes. People are doing some wild stuff with this! I wanted to ask you though, how did you make this clip so long? Mine barely last a minute and I've seen others that seem like they're twice the length of what I've been able to do. I can't seem to figure it out.

I've been having a blast with the game so far. I'm in the 4th set of levels and I've managed to 5 star everything before this. It usually takes between 2-5 tries, but as long as you meet 85% of the goals and requests and just keep changing up discs, you're golden. The scoring does seem to vary from track to track though, as I've 5 starred some tracks with 25,000 points and others I've doubled that and barely gotten 4 stars. It seems weird to me, but I just stopped paying attention to actual point totals and just mix as fast as I can, while making request combos as the opportunity arises. What really surprises me about this is that I'm normally pretty trash at rhythm games. They're fun though, so I keep playing, but this is the first time I seem to be able to get good scores, so that's really adding to my fun.

I made this mess after playing the tutorial:

I'm a bit better at the game now, so I should get back into Freestyle and make some new stuff to share/inflict upon an unwitting populace.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
There's a list of DLC rumored to be coming up:

image0.png

Urg, was REALLY hoping for more electronic music

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
Great mix! I think I've spent a quarter of me time in the game watching other people's mixes. People are doing some wild stuff with this! I wanted to ask you though, how did you make this clip so long? Mine barely last a minute and I've seen others that seem like they're twice the length of what I've been able to do. I can't seem to figure it out.

I've been having a blast with the game so far. I'm in the 4th set of levels and I've managed to 5 star everything before this. It usually takes between 2-5 tries, but as long as you meet 85% of the goals and requests and just keep changing up discs, you're golden. The scoring does seem to vary from track to track though, as I've 5 starred some tracks with 25,000 points and others I've doubled that and barely gotten 4 stars. It seems weird to me, but I just stopped paying attention to actual point totals and just mix as fast as I can, while making request combos as the opportunity arises. What really surprises me about this is that I'm normally pretty trash at rhythm games. They're fun though, so I keep playing, but this is the first time I seem to be able to get good scores, so that's really adding to my fun.

I made this mess after playing the tutorial:

I'm a bit better at the game now, so I should get back into Freestyle and make some new stuff to share/inflict upon an unwitting populace.

When you hit the record button there is an option to make it more measures (up to 64 I think)? which is what I used.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Freestyle Mode is so fun that I've been ignoring the Campaign. Still not digging the XP grind, but have been greatly enjoying discovering new ways to mix things up.

I'm currently at Level 14 with just over 26 hours of play. The rest of my progress:

* 93 Songs unlocked so far, 28 Songs left to buy (cost: 5600 music tokens), 15 Songs left to unlock by leveling up and/or clearing a stage in the Campaign. I'm glad all DLC songs you buy are unlocked from the start.

* 8 Instruments unlocked so far, 27 Instruments left to buy (cost: 2700 music tokens), 15 Instruments left to unlock by clearing a stage in the Campaign.

* 4 Effects unlocked so far, 16 Effects left to buy (cost: 1600 music tokens), 10 Effects left to unlock by clearing a stage in the Campaign. I'll be focusing on getting more Effects after grabbing the rest of the songs.

You get 100XP for each star you earn in Campaign mode. I'm averaging 4 stars a performance as I've only been playing it to learn the mechanics and unlock songs. I find it to be too rigid and not as fun.

The 640 XP you can get for making and sharing a 64 bar Freestyle mix feels much more rewarding (and takes less time to do) as I'm only constrained by what I put into my crate.

Something that sticks out as an easy quality of life fix that I hope Harmonix eventually does is to have each song display its BPM and key, in addition to the song info that's already showing. Even better if they would also give you the option to show a song's key in the Camelot Wheel format that most DJs are familiar with and is easier to grasp if you're not already familar with music theory.

I've had to maintain a spreadsheet outside of a game to use when putting a crate together as I prefer mixing in key. The Smart Riser is great to use when mixing tracks with keys/BPM that are far off from each other, though according to Harmonix, the Smart Riser favors the vocals instead of the music.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
As far as I can tell, all the songs that unlock through levels are originals? Not 100 sure tho. Still, the progression is a massive bummer. Hate how they gate new costumes behind 5 star ratings, when getting 5 stars seems extremely arbitrary

That's kinda worse. If they're originals, they're the musical works of Harmonix employees and shouldn't be gated behind an extremely grueling grind. They should just make them purchasable with currency like every other song.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A couple of niceties I'd like to have during the campaign mode:
  • Allow players to move the locked songs in the crate
  • Sort options for the crate
  • Ability to mark 'favorites' that always get added
With the requests that come in, I find myself sorting the music to group it by type and year (in ascending order). It's a time consuming process that could really be handled on automatically.

On my quest to get 5 stars across the campaign. First 11 'levels' down.

Kernal 64

#TeamThierry
Oct 28, 2017
NY
When you hit the record button there is an option to make it more measures (up to 64 I think)? which is what I used.

Thanks! That'll be a big help!

A couple of niceties I'd like to have during the campaign mode:
  • Allow players to move the locked songs in the crate
  • Sort options for the crate
  • Ability to mark 'favorites' that always get added
With the requests that come in, I find myself sorting the music to group it by type and year (in ascending order). It's a time consuming process that could really be handled on automatically.

I do the same thing and I'd absolutely love if they implemented your suggestions. They'd be real QoL improvements!

EDIT:
I made a new mix that I think is a lot better than my first one.

Last edited:

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
On my quest to get 5 stars across the campaign. First 11 'levels' down.

Ok, you gotta let me know how you're doing this. I really want the new outfits but haven't gotten more than 3 stars on any songs. I'm at the point where I think I might just go back and turn the sound off and just drop disks on perfect downbeats and pickups lol

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, you gotta let me know how you're doing this. I really want the new outfits but haven't gotten more than 3 stars on any songs. I'm at the point where I think I might just go back and turn the sound off and just drop disks on perfect downbeats and pickups lol

Always keep the crowd meter maxed. Like, I only grove and reset in campaign when I have infinite time. During the times sections, get the timed requirements out of the way early if you can, and if it is asking things like, "Include two country discs" don't just plop them and wait, switch the country parts around, and don't ignore the other parts, either. ABS - Always Be Swapping.

I also find myself waiting for pickups a lot when I shouldn't in regards to campaign. The scoring is exactly the same as a downbeat drop, and you risk waiting too long and losing crowd meter.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I wish there was something less structured than the campaign but more structured than free form. Like in the campaign, I like getting requests and objectives but I'm not crazy about the dialogue and the way the music comes to a complete standstill sometimes. Like an exhibition mode where you could also set the length of your set or something.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Holy fuck, Battle mode is....the complete opposite thing I want out of this game, lol. Sound mayhem. Completely incomprehensible lol

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know we're doing a follow for a follow in the social aspect of the game, but if anybody wants to follow me (and I'll follow back, just let me know what your handle is in the game)!

28aQGail.jpg

EDIT: People seemed to dig the last mix I shared in here, so I uploaded my first mix (that was actually for the synth event) to YouTube

Last edited:

NavNucST3

Nov 13, 2017
So far I'm enjoying this title a lot they definitely to get some more promotion for this going as it seems to be understated at the moment (with the exception of dashboard ad every once in awhile) and while crate management might eventually get tricky I definitely want a lot more songs...a lot more (we have the VIP edition).

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up: in-game voting for the Synth Pop mix contest has started and lasts for the rest of the week.

You get 400 XP for each evaluation/mix that you watch.

There's also a handy skip/FF button that pops up after the first 8 bars to use on any mixes that come up that might offend your ears. And yes, you will run into those; I came across one named "Participation Trophy" that just threw up any track on the downbeat.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Just a heads up: in-game voting for the Synth Pop mix contest has started and lasts for the rest of the week.

There's also a handy skip/FF button that pops up after the first 8 bars to use on any mixes that come up that might offend your ears. And yes, you will run into those; I came across one named "Participation Trophy" that just threw up any track on the downbeat.

What the hell does the up arrow mean?

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
I love this game to bits, but the fact that there's no way to share or upload Mixes on Switch outside of the Social Hub itself is just awful. It's a massive bummer that I can't show anybody some of the cool stuff I've made without just literally walking up to them with my Switch and some headphones.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
I love this game to bits, but the fact that there's no way to share or upload Mixes on Switch outside of the Social Hub itself is just awful. It's a massive bummer that I can't show anybody some of the cool stuff I've made without just literally walking up to them with my Switch and some headphones.
i'm guessing each version is limited to the platform's sharing ability right? it doesn't seem super hard on the xbox but i guess that just has more robust sharing/social tools built in to the OS.
you'd think harmonix would want some kind of site that you could upload mixes to and then easily link to.

when watching other mixes i'd love for it to have a soundcloud-esque 'here is the spot where someone Liked your mix' bit, rather than it just being liked overall. some mixes i watched really picked up at a certain point or did one thing in particular that grabbed my attention and i think that feedback could be useful for the creator.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Heh, actually pretty clever to give people such a huge XP boost for voting/listening to the mixes. Makes it really attractive to just sit down for half an hour or so to just listen to community submitted mixes.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Heh, actually pretty clever to give people such a huge XP boost for voting/listening to the mixes. Makes it really attractive to just sit down for half an hour or so to just listen to community submitted mixes.
yeah i think their goal is to push for the social aspect of things. i wonder if you get XP for having something voted/liked? i assume so.

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017

That's such a clever way to get EXP (and have the community engage with the event); I guess I'm going to get on and listen to some mixes!

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Damn, some of these submissions are really making me work for that XP. Some straight up garbo in there and I love it.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So dumb question here as i'm looking into getting this and i've seen some other music games in the past. What's the likely hood of people being able to add custom songs to the game like some other music games on pc?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017

Got two new songs with my XP, decided to create a new mix. Turns out I kinda love Armin van Buuren's Blah Blah Blah?

So dumb question here as i'm looking into getting this and i've seen some other music games in the past. What's the likely hood of people being able to add custom songs to the game like some other music games on pc?
I'd say custom songs will definitely happen, but the question is how good the quality of that is going to be. I have no clue if the data for how to reshape every song is built into the songs itself or if it's some mixing magic from Fuser's side.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Don't sleep on voting, folks! It's the fastest way to leveling you up and unlocking every song, instrument, and effect. As I unlocked them all only recently, it turns out that the Harmonix/indie artist songs do add quite a bit to your DJ toolbox.

Until the voting had started, I didn't know that Harmonix would be giving XP to players for watching event mixes. This is a good thing that also encourages players to participate. While I'm thankful for the skip/fast-forward button, it's great seeing others do cool, creative things with the tools we've all have access to.

If you're an offline-only player and choose not to participate in any online play or events, the only way you can currently earn XP is through the campaign (and replaying it), as well as creating/sharing your own mixes. I made it to Level 20 by focusing on doing these things, and that took many hours. To unlock all of the songs, instruments, and effects in this way came off as very grindy to me.

With this event, I've currently evaluated/skipped over 280 mixes so far, which took me from Level 20 to Level 36 in much less time. Before voting for this first event ends, I'm aiming to hit Level 45, so that I can have access to everything and be able to focus on Freestyle Mode, where I've had the most fun.

Related to this, I don't know if it was a network bug, but the message "there are no more mixes to evaluate for this event" popped up on me once. I restarted and was able to continue voting.

And I'm also going to add my in-game name if anyone wants to follow/check out my mixes.

I'm listed as Santini (Santini#5835) in-game. Here are some unlisted YT videos of mixes I've made:

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
Don't sleep on voting, folks!

3 of your videos show as "unavailable" but I did like your "Ghosts get busy" mix. How did you make it twice the length?

I'm earning a fair amount of experience doing the same. Whenever I've been having lunch, breakfast or just taking time out, I've had the mixes playing in the background with the controller to hand whilst I eat, drink or browse my iPad.

My own synth-pop submission is doing okay. It's got 9 upvotes and 20 likes from 50 views so far. Not sure if it shows a log of upvotes after the 10 (and tick). I've seen loads of entries that have just a handful of likes but already reached the 10 upvotes, so not sure if I should read anything from that about my own attempt.

edit: got the 10 upvotes... and 6 followers too.

edit 2:
I'm still learning and unlocking stuff to utilize so while a little basic (and clunky) I really like this mix.. Curious to know what others think.

Really good mix. I found the Espresso drums drop-in a bit jarring at that point and think it might have flowed more naturally coming in as the next "Don't stop now" verse/chorus ended but other than that, top work. 👍

Last edited:

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
3 of your videos show as "unavailable" but I did like your "Ghosts get busy" mix. How did you make it twice the length?

I'm earning a fair amount of experience doing the same. Whenever I've been having lunch, breakfast or just taking time out, I've had the mixes playing in the background with the controller to hand whilst I eat, drink or browse my iPad.

My own synth-pop submission is doing okay. It's got 9 upvotes and 20 likes from 50 views so far. Not sure if it shows a log of upvotes after the 10 (and tick). I've seen loads of entries that have just a handful of likes but already reached the 10 upvotes, so not sure if I should read anything from that about my own attempt.

edit: got the 10 upvotes... and 6 followers too.

edit 2:

Really good mix. I found the Espresso drums drop-in a bit jarring at that point and think it might have flowed more naturally coming in as next the "Don't stop now" verse/chorus ended but other than that, top work. 👍
Yeah I totally agree, I find that the marked spots for "best" change isn't actually the best or even works out at all. Totally understand it happening though, there is so much going on behind the scenes to make it even work this well.

And thanks I appreciate it!

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
I'm Cabelhigh on Fuser! Will follow and listen to all your mixes when Im not at work lol.

This might be my favorite mix yet. Love how rock and rap sound together, and how easy it is to layer them over each other

Santini

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for checking it out! As for the others not showing up, maybe it's a YouTube bug? They come up fine on my browsers. Anyhow, I just made the videos public so I hope that issue ends up resolving itself.

I just hit Level 45. All songs are unlocked and purchased now but I still have to reach 50 to unlock the remaining instruments.

As for making your mix twice the length, after you enter capture mode, when you hover over the record button, push the X (Xbox), Square (PlayStation), or Y (Nintendo) button (or right click on PC) to change the mix's length. You can capture 8, 16, 32, or 64 bar mixes.

Looking at my profile, not a single person has viewed my Synth Pop submission entry. I wonder if it's even in the event queue.
I'm Cabelhigh on Fuser! Will follow and listen to all your mixes when Im not at work lol.

This might be my favorite mix yet. Love how rock and rap sound together, and how easy it is to layer them over each other
Cool! I've also enjoyed mixing rap and rock together.

More rock of all sorts would be great; I'd even love more yacht rock in the game. Regulate using Michael McDonald's "I Keep Forgettin'" is the closest I'll get for now.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Is the game worth the $60?
Former DJ here
It depends on what you're looking for. Do you want a traditional rhythm game with high scores/5 stars to shoot for or are you interested in a musical toy box to play in? The game has both, but the toy box was the main draw for me.

Past music games like Guitar Hero, Rock Band, and DJ Hero are about recreating a pre-made performance in time to the music/instrument you're using. FUSER (and DropMix before it) is much more creative. Though you're still using pre-existing songs as in past music games, you're laying out and arranging tracks to come up with something that's more an expression of yourself.

After watching several preview videos and learning how the mechanics worked, I pre-ordered the $100 VIP Edition. I grew up around the 80's/90's SF Bay Area DJ scene, love music, enjoy mashups, and wanted another musical tool box to play in (I primarily use FL Studio and other DAWs). In FUSER, I pretty much spend most of my time in Freestyle mode finding new ways to mash up songs.

One of the comments posted here was that FUSER is basically "Girl Talk: the Game". You get stems for beats, bass, lead, and vocals for a 32 bar version of a song, as well as various effects and instruments you can add in.

There's somewhat of a grind to unlock everything, though. Also, important song info such as key and BPM are not displayed on the album images used in the UI; those elements are only shown in the corner of the UI after you place some tracks in. When you first lay down a disc/stem (with nothing else playing), the software will match that initial BPM and key. You can later adjust those on the fly, or use one of the in-game Riser transitions to do it for you.

But if you're not looking for that sort of creative outlet and want a traditional rhythm title, it's harder to outright recommend.

I'm not a big fan of the actual "game" side of things. In the campaign mode (and competitive battle mode), more often than not you're making some interesting/questionable mix choices to maximize points so you can move on to the next challenge/request/stage/battle. In the Campaign mode, I gamed the system just to unlock the songs, effects, and instruments that were gated there. I won't be revisiting the campaign mode any time soon as all that's left for me to get are cosmetic items.

tl;dr - is it worth $60? It depends. =)

I thought this video review was well-done and should give you some more details:

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
As for making your mix twice the length, after you enter capture mode, when you hover over the record button, push the X (Xbox), Square (PlayStation), or Y (Nintendo) button (or right click on PC) to change the mix's length. You can capture 8, 16, 32, or 64 bar mixes.

Thanks.

And as for more Yacht rock. Oh no I can't go for that, no can do, well maybe that one song. 😁

Is the game worth the $60?
Former DJ here

I'm really enjoying it. It's not priced inside that impulse purchase bracket for me, making it something I'd recommend with a caveat. If all the mixes posted in this thread look like something you'll enjoy doing then yeah definitely buy it. There is a game/campaign mode in there but ultimately it's more something you have to get through to unlock more of the features that you're going to want to use in Freestyle mode.

If that doesn't sound like much of a 'sell' then all I can add is that although I did think £60 was steep, I can see myself spending many times that on individual tracks as they get released. I grew up wanting to be a DJ at school in the late 80s and early 90s and the nearest I got was being a DJ for our school lunchtime radio and finally getting my own decks in my late teens, which I haven't had for 20 years now, so I'm somewhat re-living my youth through this. 😁

New Order, Daft Punk, Jam & Spoon, Moby, Police, Underworld, Pet Shop Boys, Bjork, Chvrches, Robert Miles, Above & Beyond, M83, Royksopp, Interpol, Editors, Nalin & Kane, Madonna, my god there's potentially hundreds of tracks* that I'd purchase to use with this.

*also worth noting you only have about 1 minute of a track to work with.

Last edited:

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I'm having a lot of fun just using this as a weird little toolbox of things I can do. I'm not great because I have no knowledge of how this stuff works in general but it's still fun to throw together some garbage.

Is there anybody that should be followed to check out their mixes ?

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017

It's going to be interesting what people do. Each track has to be playable in major and minor in all 12 keys.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
I'd read on the unofficial FUSER Discord channel that there are Synth Pop event entries that are at the "bottom of the list", waiting to be viewed. As I'd submitted mine on the last day, I guess that makes sense that it's gotten no eyes on it.

Figured I'd submit earlier for the next event, "Past VS Future". Here's my entry:

Those "unlocked at Level 30+" Harmonix/in-house/local tracks are actually really good for the variety.

I didn't think I would, but I'm probably going to buy all of the DLC songs that are released. I hope they do discounted packs like they did for Rock Band.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
I'd read on the unofficial FUSER Discord channel that there are Synth Pop event entries that are at the "bottom of the list", waiting to be viewed. As I'd submitted mine on the last day, I guess that makes sense that it's gotten no eyes on it.

Figured I'd submit earlier for the next event, "Past VS Future". Here's my entry:

Those "unlocked at Level 30+" Harmonix/in-house/local tracks are actually really good for the variety.

I didn't think I would, but I'm probably going to buy all of the DLC songs that are released. I hope they do discounted packs like they did for Rock Band.

Damn, like your mix! What level is that Shanghai Slugfest song unlocked? Finally, some actual dubstep lol

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, like your mix! What level is that Shanghai Slugfest song unlocked? Finally, some actual dubstep lol
Thanks!

It unlocks for purchase at Level 40 or Level 45, I can't remember exactly. Definitely not at Level 30 or 35, though.

Go vote on more mixes! =)

For the record, I viewed/skipped 615 mixes for this voting event to get from Level 20 to Level 50. I've now got all the current songs, instruments, and effects to play with until whatever DLC hits.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017

I submitted mine with less than 11 hours to go so not sure that explains it. 🤷‍♂️

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
I submitted mine with less than 11 hours to go so not sure that explains it. 🤷‍♂️
Then the vote is rigged! /s =)

My entry was a mashup that didn't really fit the Synth Pop theme, so no biggie. No Laser Raid or glowing gas mask prize for me, not that I'd use them.

Posting some videos using a few of the recent songs I'd unlocked. I'm definitely overusing those dubstep growls at this point as there were none until I hit higher levels.