• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I sort of feel the same way. Really what I had to do is to constantly drop tracks and make sure I do request "combos" on a pickup with a perfect. Although I do fall into the trap that Ultron is talking about. Sometimes shit sounds too good to break it up.

I kind of forced myself to use the manual drop only when I need a disc to be in a non-natural drop track location. For me it takes too much time to kick and drag using a controller. It might be different if I had a mouse though.

good point on auto dropping giving you more time. I think I'll start leaning on that a little bit more.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
While I understand how it can be frustrating to have to swap a lot in campaign to do well, I can also see the design psychology being employed. We tend to only want to interact with things we know we like, and that especially goes for music. By both forcing specific tracks on you in campaign and making you switch things up, there is no way to get around having to use tracks you normally wouldn't and hearing how something you may not even like in the general sense can fit into a mix.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I started this yesterday and I'm liking it a lot so far. The mixing technology is just wizardry. At this point my outlook on grabbing DLC is not just about songs I like, but toys I want to add to the toybox of sounds.

The Switch version sure does run badly, though. I don't know what's causing it exactly, but I'd easily take no crowd rendering for smoother FPS (or at least no hitching). I'm barely looking at the visuals when I'm focused on the music and the UI, anyway.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
While I understand how it can be frustrating to have to swap a lot in campaign to do well, I can also see the design psychology being employed. We tend to only want to interact with things we know we like, and that especially goes for music. By both forcing specific tracks on you in campaign and making you switch things up, there is no way to get around having to use tracks you normally wouldn't and hearing how something you may not even like in the general sense can fit into a mix.

Yeah, I definitely understand WHY they did it, but if they had lightened up the requirements a little that woulda been nice. Especially since levels are essentially tutorials, so they both want you to learn this potentially complex new thing AND do a bunch of arbitrary tasks...

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone playing this on PS5? I decided to wait till mine gets here on Saturday to download my pre-order.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I'm loving this game, but holy shit the scoring is broken in single player! I went back and did the first few and got perfect everything, or at least nearly, and still couldn't get 5 starts. Im on the third stage and literally failing almost immediatly. Feels completely at odds with the power of the toolset
I think Harmonix will patch this soon, hopefully together with XP gain through the campaign. They have had these kind of broken scoring systems before in Rock Band and those were patched out very quickly.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
Did they ever drop the preorder DLC on Xbox? I still don't see it. Need to get my Mr. Brightside on.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
One more thing I'll say is...I initially totally wrote this off bc the electronic music selection is pretty bare, but the game really isnt about that. As people have said, this is basically Girl Talk: The Game. Its more about inventive mashups across a large spectrum of genres than creating a cohesive set. Some of the most fun Ive had has been mixing rap with rock or country. Tho there are some satisfying mechanics that remind me of electronic music DJing, like adding/removing songs on beat.

I will definitely look into the game when it is a bit cheaper, i really like rhythm and music games so it might be up my alley.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Is there a way to actually upload videos of your Mixes to any video or music platform? I'm on Switch and don't see an option for that anywhere.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
What the hell is going on with this game? The ads my friends and I looked up over the summer made it seem so basic and unappealing. We finally watched an IGN explanation video about a month ago that made it actually seem interesting and explained how the game works.

But no one is talking about this.

I subscribe to like 30 different gaming channels on YouTube, two gaming podcasts and I check sites like this one, Polygon, IGN.

Why are there so few reviews?
There are a handful on metacritic but I'm not seeing the usual scope of game reviews.

I feel like this one of those times where a demo is pretty essential for people to take the plunge.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
HustleBun imagine the main reason that you aren't seeing much about it is that it came out during next gen launch week, so coverage of a somewhat niche rhythm game isn't the first priority for many outlets/YouTubers. Which is a shame, since this seems more unique and more interesting than anything I've seen of launch games, but what are you gonna do.

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, this is definitely flying under the radar. the more i get into it, the more i like it, too.

harmonix always does stellar work, and this is not an exception.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
HustleBun imagine the main reason that you aren't seeing much about it is that it came out during next gen launch week, so coverage of a somewhat niche rhythm game isn't the first priority for many outlets/YouTubers. Which is a shame, since this seems more unique and more interesting than anything I've seen of launch games, but what are you gonna do.
Even with that in mind, the launch lineup isn't that huge. It's crazy that no one is talking about it.

Maybe I'm biased.
I love Harmonix, they make great games and I want to see them succeed.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018

Yeah it's a bummer, this is one of the most impressive things I've seen all year and it's getting next to no coverage. I wonder if it has to do with DMCA copyright claims getting in the way of streamers showing off the game, but as far as I'm aware Rock Band doesn't seem to have that issue so who knows.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Yeah it's a bummer, this is one of the most impressive things I've seen all year and it's getting next to no coverage. I wonder if it has to do with DMCA copyright claims getting in the way of streamers showing off the game, but as far as I'm aware Rock Band doesn't seem to have that issue so who knows.
i've barely seen any reviews tbh. think it was released at a bad time unfortunately.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Those DMCA copyright laws and how YouTube addresses them changes, sometimes month to month. There was a point when YouTubers had to assume that they couldn't even hum a famous song without getting flagged, forget showing clips of a game with copyrighted songs in it.
i've barely seen any reviews tbh. think it was released at a bad time unfortunately.
It's bad when I need to go out of my way to look for commercials just to prove to friends that this thing exists. Now there's only a handful of reviews and the game has been out for a couple of days.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot seem to get the calibration to perform and feel good. Half the time I calibrate, it actually says Calibration Failed for some reason too?

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Things really clicked for me today. It captures the amazing feeling of putting two songs together and creating something new that I love about DJing.

Also plz listen to my Take On Me/Brad Paisley mashup I love it

Tandemo

Oct 28, 2017
wowee, the campaign scoring system feels really broken at the moment to the point where I've stopped playing in the hope of a patch.
would love if they added an easy mode that let the tracks breathe a bit more and maybe had 2 tasks at a time tops.
when It starts throwing 4+ tasks at a time with requests on top it just gets too busy to be enjoyable or even sound good.
and the grind for new songs is way too slow. Im getting PTSD from hearing the synths in Push It. 😅

hate to be down on what is a really fun game with amazing tech behind it, but I'm really bouncing off that campaign.

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I would love for this to hit game pass down the road so I'd be able to play coop freestyle with friends.

This is absolutely gonna eat up a lot of my gaming time. I love it.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
So is this basically an all-digital version of that card game they made a while back? Sounds like it's fun, but I'll definitely wait for a sale before picking it up.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I ended up buying the song pack because the grind to unlock some variety seems really slow. Some of these songs won't unlock till level 45 and I've been playing for hours and I'm only level 7. It's going to be a slow road to getting a bunch of these songs.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
I ended up buying the song pack because the grind to unlock some variety seems really slow. Some of these songs won't unlock till level 45 and I've been playing for hours and I'm only level 7. It's going to be a slow road to getting a bunch of these songs.

As far as I can tell, all the songs that unlock through levels are originals? Not 100 sure tho. Still, the progression is a massive bummer. Hate how they gate new costumes behind 5 star ratings, when getting 5 stars seems extremely arbitrary

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda excited for more rock and electronic tracks. Hoping they also get some more out-there picks too.

This is Neil Cicierega: the game, they should embrace that.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Damn, Ive had 2 crashes in the past hour. One was during a long freestyle and the other was just letting the results screen of a mission hang for a while. Wonder why, first 5 hours or so were flawless

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I'm loving this game, but holy shit the scoring is broken in single player! I went back and did the first few and got perfect everything, or at least nearly, and still couldn't get 5 starts. Im on the third stage and literally failing almost immediatly. Feels completely at odds with the power of the toolset
I do think the scoring in the campaign is overly punitive.

I cannot seem to get the calibration to perform and feel good. Half the time I calibrate, it actually says Calibration Failed for some reason too?
Same here. I have yet to make it through calibration. I don't mind too much other than there's a trophy for it.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
OK, dumb question since I can't figure this on out PC. How are you saving and sharing mixes on social media? I feel like I missing something here.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
OK, dumb question since I can't figure this on out PC. How are you saving and sharing mixes on social media? I feel like I missing something here.
There's a record button on the lower left corner in freestyle, then you get one bar (32 beats) to record a mix, after that you get the option to share it within the FUSER social hub and to export a video of it.

Speaking of, here's my latest:

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
I think having the ability to cue up discs and then swap to them quickly when hovering over a platter with the B button really opens things up and makes quick swapping and keeping your score combo going much easier. Weird that it doesn't get unlocked until like the 5th set of campaign levels? Seems really crucial.

Also, the riser ability seems pretty good too.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
My friends and I had such a good time last night in co-op freestyle.

I do wish there was an endless co-op freestyle mode that didn't stop after everyone has done a set and allows players to drop in and out, while looping back to the first player once the last player has done. The break once everyone has played their loop kinda lowers the mood.

We made some bangers last night. We're going back in for another session later on today.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I think having the ability to cue up discs and then swap to them quickly when hovering over a platter with the B button really opens things up and makes quick swapping and keeping your score combo going much easier. Weird that it doesn't get unlocked until like the 5th set of campaign levels? Seems really crucial.
I don't have an issue with those features being unlocked late, what I do wish however is that you'd have these skills unlocked if you'd go back to earlier campaign sets. As of now it feels really limiting to go back to the earlier sets. I get that it might break the scoring system, but since there are no leaderboards anyway, who cares.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have an issue with those features being unlocked late, what I do wish however is that you'd have these skills unlocked if you'd go back to earlier campaign sets. As of now it feels really limiting to go back to the earlier sets. I get that it might break the scoring system, but since there are no leaderboards anyway, who cares.

Yeah, agreed. I finally went back to the first show just to try to 5 star it and still did just as bad because I wasn't used to missing all the new abilities I had gotten used to using, haha. Feels weirdly strict.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, agreed. I finally went back to the first show just to try to 5 star it and still did just as bad because I wasn't used to missing all the new abilities I had gotten used to using, haha. Feels weirdly strict.
Haha, I know that feeling with rhythm games. I once was in a casual Guitar Hero competition where they suddenly demanded the finale to be played in 'hard'. I then completely screwed up an easy song because I wasn't used to the slower timing and the missing notes.

The campaign right now is a bit like if in Rock Band or Guitar Hero they would demand you to play the earlier songs on a lower difficulty.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
My friends and I had such a good time last night in co-op freestyle.

Is there an online friend invite option? I had a look earlier but couldn't see it. Similarly Battles seemed to be matchmaking only. That said, I was using the bedroom PS4 and hadn't played Fuser on that yet, so had to go through the tutorial etc again and was back to rank 1 on that account so maybe the option(s) at there that early on.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ahhh, PS5 just got here and I'm downloading my pre-order VIP edition to the console. Do I need to do anything special to get the three pre-order songs to show up?

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Is there an online friend invite option? I had a look earlier but couldn't see it. Similarly Battles seemed to be matchmaking only. That said, I was using the bedroom PS4 and hadn't played Fuser on that yet, so had to go through the tutorial etc again and was back to rank 1 on that account so maybe the option(s) at there that early on.

You can create a private lobby and invite your friends.

We went public as there were 3 of us so we randomly had a 4th person join.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I wish there was a VR mode. Might try it with PSVR just as is.
Even with that in mind, the launch lineup isn't that huge. It's crazy that no one is talking about it.

Maybe I'm biased.
I love Harmonix, they make great games and I want to see them succeed.

MinnMax did a stream of it at least! And I heard it come up on the Bombcast.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still learning and unlocking stuff to utilize so while a little basic (and clunky) I really like this mix.. Curious to know what others think.

I do love the game, I feel there should be some addition options when making a mix (specifically a recording). I feel like there is to much you have to do on the fly. But I understand, it's a game, not a sequencer or music making software. Oh well, still really enjoying it. Wish we could have longer clips too!

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
There's a list of DLC rumored to be coming up:

image0.png

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I've been fan of them for a long time . I couldn't count how many hours or how many buttons I pressed playing amplitude and frequency....but this game im unsure of . I've watched a couple videos and im still not sure how you play it.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to playing the game and run through the first set, the campaign is goofy but its amusing me. Game is fun despite the fact I'm not doing too great at it so far, best I've managed is four stars on a set so far.