• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Is this interesting or fun when someone is accustomed to DJ software like Traktor, Virtual DJ, Ableton etc. ?

and what genres is the music, are there electronic tracks too or is it more mainstream/charts stuff?

Im pretty familiar with DJ software, and it is defonitely a little annoying how they gate the effects. I want to mess arond with tje filter, damnit!

And not enough electronic, sadly. But after playing for a while, its not too bad. Its more about combining crazy combinations than actually transitioning betweem songs well. Tho it does have Paul Van Dyke's 'For an Angel', which I appreciate immensely lol

EL_Six

Oct 26, 2017
FL
Like a few others here this game really flew under my radar, will definitely be trying it out always a sucker for rhythm games and Harmonix always does a great job with licensing and music. Can't wait to get and try this one out! Does it fell strange with gamepad or would any of you preferred for it to have come out with some sort of peripheral?

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
It's pretty obvious what's going on. It's copyrighted music, and it can't be streamed/recorded. It'd lead to suspensions or bans, so it's disabled all together.
Right, but UGC says you can stream, no VODs, can place streams on YT as long as it's not monetized and 625 people are watching it on Twitch right now.
I'd have bought it on PC if I knew it was gonna be clipped off like this.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Right, but UGC says you can stream, no VODs, can place streams on YT as long as it's not monetized and 625 people are watching it on Twitch right now.
I'd have bought it on PC if I knew it was gonna be clipped off like this.

It's becoming more and more standard. You couldn't record clips on Rock Band 4 when it released....5 years ago. And music rights holders are laying down more firm terms when licensing the tracks. There are likely a lot of "no streaming" clauses in some of the games contracts, and you can't just be selective when streaming. It's all or nothing.

crimnos

Oct 27, 2017
Im pretty familiar with DJ software, and it is defonitely a little annoying how they gate the effects. I want to mess arond with tje filter, damnit!

And not enough electronic, sadly. But after playing for a while, its not too bad. Its more about combining crazy combinations than actually transitioning betweem songs well. Tho it does have Paul Van Dyke's 'For an Angel', which I appreciate immensely lol

Yeah pretty much this, I've done a lot of work with DAWs and it really could use some more options for transitions (not to mention the many, many things I can do with plugins), but if you divorce this experience from that it's pretty damn fun. I'd say it's beyond the translation of guitar playing to guitar hero/rock band in that you learn more skills that would actually carry over once you dig deeper into production. But YMMV.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
It's becoming more and more standard. You couldn't record clips on Rock Band 4 when it released....5 years ago. And music rights holders are laying down more firm terms when licensing the tracks. There are likely a lot of "no streaming" clauses in some of the games contracts, and you can't just be selective when streaming. It's all or nothing.

And yet on PC they're streaming all day, Harmonix is promoting streams on their twitter, and has created a User Generated Content guideline.
Which is it?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Dude, they worked with the license holders specifically for UGC on this. There are explicit rules for streaming that were agreed upon with them. So your comments about clauses have no weight here.

support.fuser.com

FUSER User Generated Content Guide

Thank you for your interest in creating and streaming/posting FUSER content. FUSER has in-game music that is licensed by NCSOFT and Harmonix from music rightsholders. These FUSER music licensing ag...

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So what's the difference between purple and red disks? Because sometimes they have the same instrument on them

facepalm007

Oct 26, 2017
There aren't purple disks? Just Blue, Red, Yellow, and Green.

edit: At least I haven't encountered any purple disks.
"Purple" is the Switch version for "Green".

EDIT ADDED:
Actually I think the colors are flat out different in general. For the Switch it's Blue (Beat), Purple (Bass), Red (Melody), and Yellow (Vocals). Not sure what it is for the other versions.

Last edited:

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"Purple" is the Switch version for "Green".

Ahh, ok.

In that case SeanR1221 I just watched some gameplay for Switch and the colors are completely different for Switch. Here is what they are mapped to, roughly, in terms of how the tracks break down, using the Switch colors:

Blue = Drumline
Purple = Bassline
Red = Guitar/Lead Instrumentation
Yellow = Vocals

The reason you see the same instrument on Blue and Purple (or Purple and Red) sometimes is because the track doesn't have an explicit drumline or bassline, but still has something that is "equivalent" to those in terms of their function in the song.

facepalm007

Oct 26, 2017
Just asked a person who is involved with the project, and basically the colors of the disks correspond with the face button colors for each of the respective platforms. The one exception is the Switch, but even this person is unsure on the reason why they chose those colors.

Last edited:

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
If there was ever a studio that made a ton of sense for Xbox to acquire/partner with for Gamepass content, it's Harmonix.

I can only imagine what they might be able to do if they could focus on delivering experimental "experiences" that didn't necessarily have to be a standalone commercial product.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Ahh, ok.

In that case SeanR1221 I just watched some gameplay for Switch and the colors are completely different for Switch. Here is what they are mapped to, roughly, in terms of how the tracks break down, using the Switch colors:

Blue = Drumline
Purple = Bassline
Red = Guitar/Lead Instrumentation
Yellow = Vocals

The reason you see the same instrument on Blue and Purple (or Purple and Red) sometimes is because the track doesn't have an explicit drumline or bassline, but still has something that is "equivalent" to those in terms of their function in the song.

Ok this makes sense! And sorry about the color confusion :p

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I feel like this isn't going to be doing any numbers. Twitch views in the hundreds, not very high ranking on Steam.

I think this would be a perfect word of mouth game but they hampered it.

Some people(end users, not devs) in the harmonix discord said to attempt streaming the Xbox Version to my PC with the XBOX App and stream from there... which like at that point, I should have bought the PC version.

Nov 4, 2017
I can't decide what platform to get it on.

PS4
  • Better internet play
  • Better visuals
  • Better at handling DLC, crossplay, etc I imagine
  • Bigger hard drive space
  • Trophies
Switch
  • Handheld
  • Is my party game machine
  • Maybe can do cool things with the joycons?

Does that impact gameplay or just the visuals?
It's mostly just in cutscenes. It has hitched once or twice during gameplay, bit it's not a big deal. I haven't played in handheld yet.

toa95

Oct 27, 2017
I'm picking this game up for sure but trying to decide between Xbox, or Switch... Portability could be nice but if I buy a lot of DLC having everything carry over to an eventual series X would be nice...

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I feel like this isn't going to be doing any numbers. Twitch views in the hundreds, not very high ranking on Steam.

I think this would be a perfect word of mouth game but they hampered it.

Some people(end users, not devs) in the harmonix discord said to attempt streaming the Xbox Version to my PC with the XBOX App and stream from there... which like at that point, I should have bought the PC version.

This game is poison for Twitch streamers trying to avoid DMCA claims. It could still be successful elsewhere but yeah.

We live in a world where in game radio stations are muted by streamers as a precaution. Regardless of agreements and licensing, nobody who values Twitch for their livelihood is likely to touch this without it being a paid promo. It's just too risky.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you have a nice radio in your car I would recommend giving it a try in your car when you get a chance.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I think it has local co op and I can see that being fun in the living room in which I only have a switch and pc. Plus it's fun to have everyone listen in
It's mostly just in cutscenes. It has hitched once or twice during gameplay, bit it's not a big deal. I haven't played in handheld yet.
I'm picking this game up for sure but trying to decide between Xbox, or Switch... Portability could be nice but if I buy a lot of DLC having everything carry over to an eventual series X would be nice...

If you scroll up/back you will see I was in the same position as you. In the end I went with the PS4 version just because I felt like the portability – in terms of bringing this to a friend and playing it – wouldn't happen THAT often and everything else would work better on the other consoles. Performance, internet play, and the DLC like you said. After a hour or so no regrets so far, the game is super fun.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
If there was ever a studio that made a ton of sense for Xbox to acquire/partner with for Gamepass content, it's Harmonix.

I can only imagine what they might be able to do if they could focus on delivering experimental "experiences" that didn't necessarily have to be a standalone commercial product.
Please let's not ask Xbox to aquire any more developers. Harmonix is scrappy, they've been around for 25 years, and it's best that their games can have a shot at success on all platforms.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

cheers, thx for the impressions!

may consider it when there is a slight discount, sounds like something fun for a group of friends but when there is not that much electronic music i can´t justify full price.

"For an Angel" is over 20 years old now, holy shit, how time flies...still remember when this was a big hit in the 98 version..

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
cheers, thx for the impressions!

may consider it when there is a slight discount, sounds like something fun for a group of friends but when there is not that much electronic music i can´t justify full price.

"For an Angel" is over 20 years old now, holy shit, how time flies...still remember when this was a big hit in the 98 version..

One more thing I'll say is...I initially totally wrote this off bc the electronic music selection is pretty bare, but the game really isnt about that. As people have said, this is basically Girl Talk: The Game. Its more about inventive mashups across a large spectrum of genres than creating a cohesive set. Some of the most fun Ive had has been mixing rap with rock or country. Tho there are some satisfying mechanics that remind me of electronic music DJing, like adding/removing songs on beat.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One more thing I'll say is...I initially totally wrote this off bc the electronic music selection is pretty bare, but the game really isnt about that. As people have said, this is basically Girl Talk: The Game. Its more about inventive mashups across a large spectrum of genres than creating a cohesive set. Some of the most fun Ive had has been mixing rap with rock or country. Tho there are some satisfying mechanics that remind me of electronic music DJing, like adding/removing songs on beat.
It's basically Hip Hop in it's rawest form.

AceyPrime

May 16, 2018
This was totally off my radar especially with the initial purchase price. Thanks to you good people hyping it I caved and got the VIP edition for Switch and had a ridiculously fun time for 2 hours straight last night mixing in freestyle while my kids danced around. This is definitely Girl Talk: The Game and I love it! Salt N Pepa to Rage Against the Machine to Lady Gaga. If you enjoy weird mashups of music (Girl Talk!) or just really love music in general I can't recommend this enough. Psyched to see what DLC they have in store for us as I'll likely buy it all.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Please let's not ask Xbox to aquire any more developers. Harmonix is scrappy, they've been around for 25 years, and it's best that their games can have a shot at success on all platforms.
I think there's a lot of questions regarding the future of Harmonix. They've been taking big swings at another commercial success, without much luck recently. Feels like time is running out.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Hopefully some hero among us ends up making an OT. I feel like a lot of people like me had no idea this game existed a week ago and it would be a crime to have it be overlooked when it is so legitimately mind-blowing and fun.

I really hope we get stuff like MF Doom or Statik Selektah as DLC in the future. I'm probably going to spend an irresponsible amount of money on songs regardless, though.

Nov 4, 2017
If you scroll up/back you will see I was in the same position as you. In the end I went with the PS4 version just because I felt like the portability – in terms of bringing this to a friend and playing it – wouldn't happen THAT often and everything else would work better on the other consoles. Performance, internet play, and the DLC like you said. After a hour or so no regrets so far, the game is super fun.
Yeah, I normally don't care about portability, but could see myself playing on the couch/in bed with headphones when my wife is watching something. I'll probably double dip on Steam later when it's on a deep discount for better multiplayer/performance.

sith ewok

Oct 31, 2017
Picked this up last night for the Xbox and am enjoying it quite a bit so far. I wish they would have released a physical version just so I could have it on my shelf along with all of the other Harmonix stuff I have but oh well. Definitely feels (at the beginning, anyway) like a more fully featured version of Dropmix, which is a good thing in my book.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I can't decide what platform to get it on.

PS4
  • Better internet play
  • Better visuals
  • Better at handling DLC, crossplay, etc I imagine
  • Bigger hard drive space
  • Trophies
Switch
  • Handheld
  • Is my party game machine
  • Maybe can do cool things with the joycons?
Same except PC instead of PS4. A big knock on Switch for me is concern for future compatibility/library moving forward since Nintendo is notoriously bad about both of those and that is not a worry with PC. But I'm way more likely to play this type of game on the Switch and it being portable is a huge plus.

Cheat Code

Oct 30, 2017
Have Harmonix given any info on DLC rotation?

I would assume Monday reveal, Tuesday release like Rock Band.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
I'm loving this game, but holy shit the scoring is broken in single player! I went back and did the first few and got perfect everything, or at least nearly, and still couldn't get 5 starts. Im on the third stage and literally failing almost immediatly. Feels completely at odds with the power of the toolset

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
People, don't sleep in this game (pun intended)
It's really fun!
Such a blast to mix songs and get the family to dance to your beat!
Super cool! Props to Harmonix!

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My main problem in the campaign so far is getting too into the mix and looking for drops/pickups and not noticing requests coming up.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
When dropping disks, do you tend to pick them up and manually drop them in a spot, or auto drop them directly from the song? I feel like I'm always manually dropping them but I'm not sure if I should be mixing it up for a higher score

facepalm007

Oct 26, 2017
I'm loving this game, but holy shit the scoring is broken in single player! I went back and did the first few and got perfect everything, or at least nearly, and still couldn't get 5 starts. Im on the third stage and literally failing almost immediatly. Feels completely at odds with the power of the toolset
Yeah, I sort of feel the same way. Really what I had to do is to constantly drop tracks and make sure I do request "combos" on a pickup with a perfect. Although I do fall into the trap that Ultron is talking about. Sometimes shit sounds too good to break it up.

When dropping disks, do you tend to pick them up and manually drop them in a spot, or auto drop them directly from the song? I feel like I'm always manually dropping them but I'm not sure if I should be mixing it up for a higher score
I kind of forced myself to use the manual drop only when I need a disc to be in a non-natural drop track location. For me it takes too much time to kick and drag using a controller. It might be different if I had a mouse though.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah really feels like you get heavily penalized for not changing up tracks frequently enough. Sometimes I just want to let a mix build a little bit but then suddenly I'm about to fail out of a song.

Oct 27, 2017
got this last night as a harmonix fanboy for the series x, and i'm finding it OK. it's taking me a little time to get used to. but damn, some of the accidental mixes i've made sound fucking incredible.

i feel this SO much. i can't for the life of me get five stars. it just seems impossible. apparently we have to constantly mix it up, which does make sense, but yeah, i get so into my dumb mixes that i kinda forget.