• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 4, 2017
So if I can't read or play music, could I still handle this? I feel like this is a perfect game to play high
I'm tone deaf and can barely strum out a few bars on guitar, but am missing five stars on most sets by a fly's shit. It's mostly just about timing transitions and reacting to producer/audience input. There are a lot of visual cues to help.

And yes, this would be fun as hell to play high. Or maybe taking turns freestyling in a small group so you can have a turn at just enjoying the mashup without having to focus on what you're doing.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Yup. You'll be fine. This is more about timing, honestly.
I'm tone deaf and can barely strum out a few bars on guitar, but am missing five stars on most sets by a fly's shit. It's mostly just about timing transitions and reacting to producer/audience input. There are a lot of visual cues to help.

And yes, this would be fun as hell to play high. Or maybe taking turns freestyling in a small group so you can have a turn at just enjoying the mashup without having to focus on what you're doing.

thank you both. Going to download it now

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So are the track tied to your platform? Not sure if i want to get the PC version or the switch version.

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
I really really really want this game but just can't afford it with all the other next gen outlay. Hope to grab it on its first sale.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man this is so fun to play. Just got to the downbeat dot things and boy is it good. Foot to change my disc colors up though.

Nov 4, 2017
Man this is so fun to play. Just got to the downbeat dot things and boy is it good. Foot to change my disc colors up though.
As in the coloured pick up dots? I thought that was a brilliant risk/reward mechanic. If somebody requests something, I'll try to hold out to drop it on a pick up dot to make the person happy and get bonus crowd points.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As in the coloured pick up dots? I thought that was a brilliant risk/reward mechanic. If somebody requests something, I'll try to hold out to drop it on a pick up dot to make the person happy and get bonus crowd points.
No I messed with the color blind options so a pink and a purple look very similar to me so got to adjust it.

Edit:miss read your post completely and yes that part lol

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
Loving it on my 82" TV with a good home theater. Feels like a club in my living room lol

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying this.

Fuser is unlike most other music games. You're not recreating the performance of a song by hitting notes, gems, etc. in time to the music. You're mixing song elements and interacting with music in a much more creative way than hasn't been done since DropMix (really wish I got to play that now).

Over half of my playtime so far has been spent in the Freestyle mode. A musical playground where you can take a virtual crate of songs, instruments, and effects and mash them all up is not something I imagined wanting to play over some of this month's other releases, but here I am, finding all sorts of ways to combine "Hot Stuff", "Symphony of Destruction", "Bring Me to Life", and "Gentle On My Mind" to make them sonically pleasing. All of "For an Angel"'s instrumentals with the vocals of "Bust a Move" before tossing in "All Star" and "Push It"? Sure, why not?

It's a great feeling playing music you know and enjoy, switching up tracks that go with your mood, adding and removing elements that fit your current music flow, cueing up a selection of discs that you think should work, and then using the smart riser on the downbeat to transition into what you've cued in. Will it be a crowd pumping jam or a sonic monster? It's been a joy discovering and hearing what happens.

Fuser feels fresh, and I already see myself spending way more hours in this compared to other games coming out right now.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying this.

Fuser is unlike most other music games. You're not recreating the performance of a song by hitting notes, gems, etc. in time to the music. You're mixing song elements and interacting with music in a much more creative way than hasn't been done since DropMix (really wish I got to play that now).

Over half of my playtime so far has been spent in the Freestyle mode. A musical playground where you can take a virtual crate of songs, instruments, and effects and mash them all up is not something I imagined wanting to play over some of this month's other releases, but here I am, finding all sorts of ways to combine "Hot Stuff", "Symphony of Destruction", "Bring Me to Life", and "Gentle On My Mind" to make them sonically pleasing. All of "For an Angel"'s instrumentals with the vocals of "Bust a Move" before tossing in "All Star" and "Push It"? Sure, why not?

It's a great feeling playing music you know and enjoy, switching up tracks that go with your mood, adding and removing elements that fit your current music flow, cueing up a selection of discs that you think should work, and then using the smart riser on the downbeat to transition into what you've cued in. Will it be a crowd pumping jam or a sonic monster? It's been a joy discovering and hearing what happens.

Fuser feels fresh, and I already see myself spending way more hours in this compared to other games coming out right now.

Same.

I already see myself spending way more hours in this compared to other games coming out right now.

And money. I will buy every piece of DLC for this.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Same.

And money. I will buy every piece of DLC for this.
Indeed. The more songs for this game, the better. After looking at DropMix's song list, I also want all of the esoteric soundtrack songs (Doctor Who, Transformers, etc.) as well as oddball stuff like the reading of Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven.

I hope a mod/custom song scene develops for Fuser like it apparently did for Audica.

The amount of country I've been mixing with things is crazy and I'm not a fan of country 😂
Same here! In one of the early campaign stages, I added all the unlocked country tracks I had to the Latin and Rap setlists/challenges. Good times.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do hope that the coin bonus gets higher because 300 music coins isn't cutting it lol

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I have no clue how to consistently score more than 4 stars on anything, but my mixes are fire lol.

I do hope that the coin bonus gets higher because 300 music coins isn't cutting it lol
I got 400 coins for getting to level 10, so it does get higher, but not much lol.

A quick way to earn XP is doing multiplayer battles by the way. A lost battle gives 600 XP, a won battle gives 1000 XP on novice level.

Nov 4, 2017
No I messed with the color blind options so a pink and a purple look very similar to me so got to adjust it.

Edit:miss read your post completely and yes that part lol
Lol no dramas. I feel like this game is pretty good in terms of inclusion and accessibility, which is pretty cool considering most of the budget was probably used for licensing music. I'm a cishet, able-bodied white male though, so probably not the best judge.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
I got 400 coins for getting to level 10, so it does get higher, but not much lol.

A quick way to earn XP is doing multiplayer battles by the way. A lost battle gives 600 XP, a won battle gives 1000 XP on novice level.
The very least fun, but most time-efficient way I've found to grind out XP without involving others is to go into Freestyle mode, pick a song with a fast BPM (or manually adjust it to the max yourself), hit the record button, let it finish, click on the checkmark button to confirm, then choose to share your mix. After your mix gets posted and shared, select to return back to Freestyle mode and repeat the process.

You'll earn 320 XP each time you do this.

Using a-ha's "Take On Me", it takes me around 1 minute and change to do the steps listed above with the song playing at 157 BPM. In my test I went from level 6 to 7 in about 5 minutes, which gave me 300 song tokens. As it wasn't that much fun to do beyond testing, I haven't repeated the process.

This doesn't count the time not actually playing the game, having to essentially hear one song on autorepeat (unless you mute the game audio), and going back to your profile and deleting those mixes because you certainly wouldn't want anyone to bother downloading them.

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
I am having the weirdest time with the campaign. I manage to get 2-3 stars most of the time on a first attempt, but I have to constantly go back to get higher than that because it feels like I'm being hounded with the requests and objectives while I'm trying to actually be creative and have fun with the mix. If I focus on JUST objectives and requests, then the audience isn't happy because I'm not doing enough. It's like I'm just not finding the right level of balance. I *THINK* I need to focus on track swapping more often but for the sets that come before that feature is unlocked I'm unsure. I five starred the very first performance and to do that I felt like I had to do everything very rigidly and "perfect".

I'm about at a point where I just want to get all the stuff unlocked so I can never touch the campaign again.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This game was completely under my radar , but seeing this thread and looking more into it. Fuser is awesome just like every other harmonix game it's very fun and different but it's so good. I wish it launched in a cheaper package to get more people to start playing. I created my first mix, think I did ok. The single player guides you with all the tools.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I am having the weirdest time with the campaign. I manage to get 2-3 stars most of the time on a first attempt, but I have to constantly go back to get higher than that because it feels like I'm being hounded with the requests and objectives while I'm trying to actually be creative and have fun with the mix. If I focus on JUST objectives and requests, then the audience isn't happy because I'm not doing enough. It's like I'm just not finding the right level of balance. I *THINK* I need to focus on track swapping more often but for the sets that come before that feature is unlocked I'm unsure. I five starred the very first performance and to do that I felt like I had to do everything very rigidly and "perfect".

I'm about at a point where I just want to get all the stuff unlocked so I can never touch the campaign again.

It just takes some time to get used to. You don't really have to be too rigid. Requests can be based on tracks you add yourself. When you get long blocks of time to complete the objectives, finish them early, then use the rest of the time to jam and swap. Once the objective is "checked" you don't have to keep anything relevant to it active anymore.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Holy shit, love this so far. Getting me a little emotions, since I havent been to a festival since Covid started. My gal is ready to RAVE

The second set really clicked for me. Amazing when it works. Wish there was a way to preview the disk before you drop it tho

Last edited:

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017

That's really my only complaint so far, but it's probably just my bad, haha. Even when I think I'm doing good, I'm really only 3 starring any given campaign level (maybe a 4 here and there.) Also I get that the campaign is kind of tutorializing new features as we go, but the amount of times I'm gonna set up what I think will be a really cool drop or transition effect just to have it stop everything to teach me a new trick? Wackkkkkk, haha.

But yeah, this game is really something special. Sleeper of the year for me.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
This game is fucking crazy. The technology working under the hood to make everything sound good is just baffling.

I got it on Switch and I'm loving it even more than I expected.

Last edited:

buttzilla

Sep 9, 2020
Proud to admit my first hour in freestyle mode was spent combining "killing in the name of" with "all star", "never gonna give you up" and the numa numa song.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
Any impressions on controls on console then? Overly complex? Decent enough for scoring high?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Satisfaction is like a musical chameleon. It goes well with literally everything.

Megadeth, on the other hand, seems to mix with absolutely nothing lol.

Is there a way to update to the vip package or does it have to be an all in one deal?
The only thing the VIP package gives you is some extra costumization for your character and the 25 songs. I don't know about the customization, but you can just purchase the songs individually.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I played until about midnight last night. Super addictive and it's nuts how tracks blend so well together.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
Some questions about the Social Hub.

So I submitted a Synth-Pop mix for the contest but can't see any other entries and no-one has listened to mine.

When I view other mixes the panel on the left says that I have no recent activity but when I click on profile (top right), it takes me to another screen that does show my recent likes, mixes and so on... they just don't appear to be linking to the social hub for anyone else to see.

Am I doing something wrong? Other than making awful mixes, which can't be possible!! No one appears to be seeing them to be able to listen and come to the conclusion they're awful anyway.

Post campaign, this is a huge part of the ongoing community and at the minute I don't seem to be a part of it. That said, I can see other people's submitted mixes (just not for the completion) but only a few are displayed at a time.

Edit: Can someone search for my profile in-game. It's Gedi. It doesn't come up on my search but I guess that's because it excludes me from my own search.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I can't decide what platform to get it on.

PS4
  • Better internet play
  • Better visuals
  • Better at handling DLC, crossplay, etc I imagine
  • Bigger hard drive space
  • Trophies
Switch
  • Handheld
  • Is my party game machine
  • Maybe can do cool things with the joycons?

Framerate isn't always the best on Switch
Does that impact gameplay or just the visuals?

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Thrilled this is out but does make me feel like I wasted a bit too much money on DropMix cards!

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any good reason to buy the VIP edition?

Because if I buy the standard edition + launch pack than seems to have all the songs from the vip edition I would save a lot of money

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
This looks like a pretty fun game. Totally off my radar. I do love me some Girl Talk and this looks like it could scratch that itch.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
I think I've found you. Your mix is called 'Dance Satisfaction'?

Yeah that's me. At least I know I exist then. 😁 About half an hour after you posted, I got the notification it had been viewed and shortly afterwards the track updated with the view/listen, assuming that's what the eye icon represent. The game needs some work with regards discoverability but I guess they can improve that over time.

How do I view other Events entries and vote on them? Is that linked to a certain XP level maybe?

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
Is there any good reason to buy the VIP edition?

Because if I buy the standard edition + launch pack than seems to have all the songs from the vip edition I would save a lot of money

The launch pack DLC includes all the songs that are part of the VIP pack and unless you like 20+ of the 25, I wouldn't even buy that, I'd just recommend purchasing the tracks individually. All you're missing from the VIP pack other than that is a series of emotes and outfits for your character.

All that said there are 3 tracks (Khalid - Young, dumb & broke, The Killers - Mr Brightside & Dua Lipa - New rules) that were a pre-order bonus and they are not yet currently available as DLC.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The launch pack DLC includes all the songs that are part of the VIP pack and unless you like 20+ of the 25, I wouldn't even buy that, I'd just recommend purchasing the tracks individually. All you're missing from the VIP pack other than that is a series of emotes and outfits for your character.

All that said there are 3 tracks (Khalid - Young, dumb & broke, The Killers - Mr Brightside & Dua Lipa - New rules) that were a pre-order bonus and they are not yet currently available as DLC.

Seems like with the launch pack I'm only saving like 8 dollars, so you are right

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Is this interesting or fun when someone is accustomed to DJ software like Traktor, Virtual DJ, Ableton etc. ?

and what genres is the music, are there electronic tracks too or is it more mainstream/charts stuff?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that's me. At least I know I exist then. 😁 About half an hour after you posted, I got the notification it had been viewed and shortly afterwards the track updated with the view/listen, assuming that's what the eye icon represent. The game needs some work with regards discoverability but I guess they can improve that over time.

How do I view other Events entries and vote on them? Is that linked to a certain XP level maybe?
That was me, I listened to it. Fun mix.