• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
They're probably waiting till January to adjust the forecast since they were waiting to see how Pokemon and smash were doing.

After they have the December numbers it should be easier to forecast

TJG662

Oct 25, 2017
California
To me they will be real close over or under on hardware. But if they confident they will hit software that tells me they are selling switches like gang busters or people with switches buy way more games then most gamers.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Even Kimishima stated the 20m wouldn't be easy back when Nintendo first released the projections, nothing new here in that regard.

Is there anyone available to do a full translation? I wonder if the interview has any more interesting info.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
They are usually very conservative, thats why the 20mil announcement was such a shock in the first place.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
I am buying 3 Switches for christmas, 2 copies of smash and 1 of Splatoon for my daughter. So thats my part done Nintendo :)

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
michaelpachter.jpg

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising. They were cruising most of the year so even monster holiday sales won't get them there.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
They're probably waiting till January to adjust the forecast since they were waiting to see how Pokemon and smash were doing.

After they have the December numbers it should be easier to forecast
Yep, I'm not sure they know if they are going to hit it or not, I do think they will be very close if they miss it and might not want to down grade it, as long as they did 10M+ for this quarter, they should hit 19M+ for the year and they did about 7.5M last year with this year being up heavily in america and looks like it will be up half a million minimum in Japan as well, it's going to be close.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
isn't Yuji Nakamura one of the ones who're expecting Nintendo to not hit estimates? I've seen his name come up multiple times with similar comments.

in any case, this isn't a new statement. they always said it was gonna be a harder push, but they think they can make it

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
It's so funny how ridiculously focused this forum is on that 20 M hardware number, but no one ever seems to talk about the software...

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Remember, 20 million hardware sales = do or die. If they dare to be 5-10% short, they are failing. Now if they're 50% above on software sales prediction, who cares

Because having an above expectation healthy purchase happy install base doesn't matter :P

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much what they said last time, and they will not change what they're saying until the next financials or they hit their goal before their next financials. The holiday season isn't even over. They're not going to mention their targets next year either until their next financials too.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
The comment about the forecasts is nothing new. He said the same thing back in the Q&A at the last financial briefing...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-q-a-for-2nd-quarter-fy3-2019.79930/

A16
Furukawa:
Based on the results for the first half of this fiscal year, I think we are making good progress
towards our projections for the full year. We knew our plan from the start of this fiscal year to
sell 20 million Nintendo Switch units (for the fiscal year) was not going to be an easy challenge to meet, but we saw it as a worthy challenge in the second year of hardware sales.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Saying it then versus saying it now, after December numbers are clear, are two different things with two different implications.
Would December numbers be clear yet? I mean based on what happened with November, and in the past, they seem to play their press coverage quite conservative in relation to sales statements.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has claimed this every year. They used to claim there wouldn't be new deck droughts in the 1800s.
Yes but given 2017 we have actual reason to believe them (as well as the lineup for 2019 already looking fairly stacked).

The comment about the forecasts is nothing new. He said the same thing back in the Q&A at the last financial briefing...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-q-a-for-2nd-quarter-fy3-2019.79930/
Pretty much what they said last time, and they will not change what they're saying until the next financials or they hit their goal before their next financials. The holiday season isn't even over. They're not going to mention their targets next year either until their next financials too.
Saying it then versus saying it now, after December numbers are clear, are two different things with two different implications.

Would December numbers be clear yet? I mean based on what happened with November, and in the past, they seem to play their press coverage quite conservative in relation to sales statements.
Definitely they are conservative, but we are three weeks into December. One way or the other they know what the sales trend is at this point.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely they are conservative, but we are three weeks into December. One way or the other they know what the sales trend is at this point.
Well nothing is going to change in what they're saying though. Even if the outlook is absolutely golden, Nintendo is always going to keep their lips sealed extremely tight.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I read the Japanese article and in terms of understanding the correct nuance, what Furukawa is saying is that hitting the 20 million goal is no walk in the park.

That's it.

There's no indication either way as to whether they're in danger of missing the goal. Gleaning anything else from the quote is pure conjecture.

If Furukawa said the goal would be "hard," then that would be a completely different story. But that's not what he said.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's selling more like the PS4, they thought it would sell like the Wii probably because their logic was "well if you add in Labo and Pokemon Go audience that must mean 20 mill!". This is just Nintendo not quite understanding the Switch early on, but they'll learn now, and its not a negative, either way they've got a red hot piece of hardware.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I read the Japanese article and in terms of understanding the correct nuance, what Furukawa is saying is that hitting the 20 million goal is no walk in the park.

That's it.

There's no indication either way as to whether they're in danger of missing the goal. Gleaning anything else from the quote is pure conjecture.

If Furukawa said the goal would be "hard," then that would be a completely different story. But that's not what he said.
Oh.
Maybe we should get the title changed before some site grabs it and reports on it with a click bait headline lol

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If that were the case I think they would have lowered the forecast, which Nintendo hasn't done so far.
Well, they wouldn't lower the forecast until after the Holiday season regardless, but if they were going to, they would start lowering expectations now.

That said apparently the quote is a mistranslation (of sorts).

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
But he may start lowering expectations to avoid a bloodbath in January, wouldn't he?

The Switch isn't the Wii U or 3DS... What situation are you trying to imagine that Furukawa had to revise forecasts during December and announce it to investors?

Because the Switch right now is nothing like the Wii U or 3DS when they had to revise down forecasts or announce the severe price cut.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch isn't the Wii U or 3DS... What situation are you trying to imagine that Furukawa had to revise forecasts during December and announce it to investors?

Because the Switch right now is nothing like the Wii U or 3DS when they had to revise down forecasts or announce the severe price cut.
I'm not saying he is making any announcement now. I am saying if he anticipates the forecast being lowered, he would start some expectation management preemptively now.

The whole discussion is moot anyway.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps we should stop reposting stuff from Yuji Nakamura? His commentary has been called in to question several times over the last year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.