• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
I don't care if they are a small indie studio lol. I bought a game and am getting less than others for the same price. Shitty business practices are shitty regardless of the size of the company doing them. It's so annoying how people try to defend every single thing on this website.

How is this like a moneyhat? Ive said numerous times on this site that exclusive content is worse than timed exclusivity. Paying the same price as others but getting less is a terrible thing for consumers.

Not to mention this game launched on PS+ and was console exclusive to PS4 for months.
That's really all that needs to be said. I have the game on Xbox. I won't be supporting this dev in the future if they feel I'm not worth their support.

Not sure why people want to defend this.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so if I have this on PS+ I get native PS5 version for free? Honestly, Furi is so good I might replay it with female Rider then.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
A shame as I brought the Xbox version and I would have liked any reason to listen to that godly OST again whilst I played.

Guess this is the downside of releasing smaller games late on other systems.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Small indie developer literally can't justify or afford an Xbox release of the new content. Cue overblown Era commentary.

902591.jpg

If it were one of the bigger companies, I'd understand the ire, but The Game Bakers clearly aren't a huge dev. By saying that you won't support anything they do on Xbox in the future, you're really just proving them right, aren't you?

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
I wonder. Does this update include the Xbox only boss? Will that boss be included on the update with the free DLC? Or are they going to leave that one out to die on Xbox?

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
He should've just said as much then, I don't think it's a secret that games sell better when they're on the service versus not on it; it gives games more visibility and word of mouth, more players and a major thing that lots of indies do not have... marketing. Tons of games just hotdrop their games into the ether with little to no buzz and pray it catches. This game in particular got massive word of mouth by releasing on PS+, then rando dropped on Xbox later.

Seems like a weird game to use to springboard into that point though.

Probably because this is the kind of game he's talking about with his second point: It released at a time where Xbox was in dire straits and Game Pass wasn't a thing yet -- thus the game suffered on Xbox. Now, it's not being updated because of that lack of success.

And to be clear, I'm not saying that makes it totally okay, but rather it's just the reality of things. Plus there's always the chance they update it later once resources are available.

I just checked Steam database and there's only 39 people playing in game right now.

This literally means nothing. It's a 6 year-old single-player only indie game. Of course the numbers right now aren't going to be high.

Hyper Light Drifter has similar numbers right now, but are you going to argue that it bombed on PC?

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I mean, they sent Furi out to die on Xbox - so not shocking. But also, I would certainly not buy another of their games on Xbox.

May 2, 2022
Probably because this is the kind of game he's talking about with his second point: It released at a time where Xbox was in dire straits and Game Pass wasn't a thing yet -- thus the game suffered on Xbox. Now, it's not being updated because of that lack of success.

And to be clear, I'm not saying that makes it totally okay, but rather it's just the reality of things. Plus there's always the chance they update it later once resources are available.

This literally means nothing. It's a 6 year-old single-player only indie game. Of course the numbers right now aren't going to
Hyper Light Drifter has similar numbers right now, but are you going to argue that it bombed on PC?

Media reactions have been tepid, I think this thread has the same amount of views the YouTube trailer has. I do hope their gamble pays off because things aren't looking so hot.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Do people think the studio is rolling in cash or something? If they think they're going to lose money by porting a game to a platform than of course they aren't going to do it. They aren't doing it out of spite for fucks sake.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Game Bakers is a tiny studio, in this case the reasoning is understandable in picking where to put their efforts. However, this sucks for Xbox enthusiasts and I do understand being upset.

Media reactions have been tepid, I think this thread has the same amount of views the YouTube trailer has. I do hope their gamble pays off because things aren't looking so hot.
You think this being on Xbox would suddenly turn this into some massive success lol? Switch is going to most likely be the profit place.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Small indie developer literally can't justify or afford an Xbox release of the new content. Cue overblown Era commentary.

902591.jpg

If it were one of the bigger companies, I'd understand the ire, but The Game Bakers clearly aren't a huge dev. By saying that you won't support anything they do on Xbox in the future, you're really just proving them right, aren't you?
What a reaction to a small dev saying they would lose money if they did an Xbox port.

"Lose money anyway or it's fuck you on sight."

Our forum is supposed to be better than this. But we can turn into every other shithole when we don't get our way.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Honestly, now im curious. Heaven was not that well received, development is expensive and takes time. Maybe its kind of a try to get a short term cash infusion to be able to finish the next game?

Its just hard for me to grasp, why a 6 year old game gets payd DLC instead of a sequell, or the more typical "ultra deluxe complete edition". Seems as if the different wont be there, except that those editions get more press.

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow. This is amazing! This game totally blew me away when it came to Ps+. I legit knew nothing about it and gave it a blind shot, and it was maybe one of my favorite games last gen.

May 2, 2022
Game Bakers is a tiny studio, in this case the reasoning is understandable in picking where to put their efforts. However, this sucks for Xbox enthusiasts and I do understand being upset.

You think this being on Xbox would suddenly turn this into some massive success lol? Switch is going to most likely be the profit place.

My post never said anything of the sort.

Also, you seem to believe that the Switch version will be the main seller, what happens if no one is interested but you just told a group to be gone?

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
Gonna need to see some receipts on that one. If they're counting downloads of Game Pass indies, then... maybe?, but that doesn't necessarily translate into sales.
last summer there was a whole thing about discoverabilty on the psn store and how some games barely sell there because of that, i dont know if that applies to all indies but i assume thats what the tweet is about

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ, the immaturity in this thread. Maybe the people who made and sold the game know how much money they'd lose on the version of the game that sold the least. Or they just wanted to affront you personally, either or.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

902591.jpg

I don't think it's quite that simple. Regardless of your dev size, selling a game is a business move and making such moves that makes part of your consumer case upset is going to be something you have to weigh not just for the moment but long term as well.

Should a consumer who feels shafted by this just accept it and jump into whatever they do next? I don't think there's any clear cut right answer here (though I agree saying really overblown/negative things doesn't help anyone in this scenario).

It's truly a lose/lose situation for both parties. One isn't getting the content or chance to vote with their wallets after doing so. One doesn't have the budget/team to offer said DLC (And truth be told bringing the DLC to Xbox would entail new ports of the game as well since the original fury release on Xbox is for the base OG X1. So they couldn't just drop the DLC on there if they wanted as people would then be complaining it's not on par with the PS5 version).

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I don't think it's quite that simple. Regardless of your dev size, selling a game is a business move and making such moves that makes part of your consumer case upset is going to be something you have to weigh not just for the moment but long term as well.

Should a consumer who feels shafted by this just accept it and jump into whatever they do next? I don't think there's any clear cut right answer here (though I agree saying really overblown/negative things doesn't help anyone in this scenario).

It's truly a lose/lose situation for both parties. One isn't getting the content or chance to vote with their wallets after doing so. One doesn't have the budget/team to offer said DLC (And truth be told bringing the DLC to Xbox would entail new ports of the game as well since the original fury release on Xbox is for the base OG X1. So they couldn't just drop the DLC on there if they wanted as people would then be complaining it's not on par with the PS5 version).
I would still argue that a big company can take a loss easier then say a small indie developer.
There is a little bit more leway, when the question is "the losses will probably be recouped
by the next project" instead of "well if we dont get some money in we have to anounce bancrupcy".

Thats why more acceptance for a small scale operation should be kinda normal compared to billion dollar companies with regular shareholder payouts.

Heck, why dont those people stop buying games from any of the big 3, caust all of them as far as i know had games that they ported to more modern platforms with some addes bells and whistles.

Heck, nintendo moved all Wii U games with added content to the switch. I know, not the same. But nobody was pissed that old games on wii u did not get the added stuff as an update.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
I assume they're busy with the game they're going to release on gamepass so that's why they cant port it.
The xbox version would essentially have to be 3 versions because it was originally for OG Xbox 1 so they'd have to make a port for
Xbox One X
Xbox Series S
Xbox Series X.
That sounds like a a lot of time for a small dev team for just one platform. In addition to making their new game.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I would still argue that a big company can take a loss easier then say a small indie developer.
There is a little bit more leway, when the question is "the losses will probably be recouped
by the next project" instead of "well if we dont get some money in we have to anounce bancrupcy".

Thats why more acceptance for a small scale operation should be kinda normal compared to billion dollar companies with regular shareholder payouts.

Oh I don't disagree. It's definitely a different scenario for a big publisher/dev versus a small one. More I was just saying those who did buy the game and feel cheated don't have to necessarily be 100% ok with the fact.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
If you tweet at them and tell them you're interested, that's more likely to get you what you want than saying you're never gonna support them again on a message board

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
I get it from a pure business perspective on costs, but this is just a terrible PR move, and doesn't really inspire confidence to potential customers in the future. It's no surprise they didn't move many copies on xbox launching months later and after it was "free" on ps4, so that's kinda a weird cop out.

Really feels like this is something you maybe take a little hit on cost and try to recoup with a good sale on base game when the DLC hits, especially of they could get Furi added on Gamepass shortly before the DLC, would be hitting up my contact at MS hard about that.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017

These are fair points, and it's indeed a lose / lose situation. I'm not saying Xbox players don't have the right to be disappointed by this, because they absolutely do, it's just that we could probably do without the exaggerated "we're being treated as second class citizens!" and "I'm never supporting this studio again!" Gamer commentary. It really rubs me the wrong way that people are responding that way, even after being told that the devs can't justify putting the money into an Xbox version. It sucks for their fans on that platform, I get it, but personally, I'd never go as far as cutting ties with a developer over something like this, especially when they've said their support for the Xbox ecosystem isn't over and done with.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Oh I don't disagree. It's definitely a different scenario for a big publisher/dev versus a small one. More I was just saying those who did buy the game and feel cheated don't have to necessarily be 100% ok with the fact.
oh okay. Well, you never HAVE to feel okay, and i also get being dissapointed by the developer in that case.

Just some here really dont seem to se a difference.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
I supported this game on Xbox and bought it outright. Absolutely loved it. It's so shitty how they're treating their Xbox fanbase.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
It's very possible, and even likely, that Furi would not have been remotely as successful on PS4 if it wasn't a PS Plus title. They took many steps to get their game prioritized on PS4 and ended up creating their own problem. This is pretty shitty for Xbox owners.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
The ping ponging we have between caring for the developers and the plights they face versus "To hell with them" is kinda jarring man. Their response here seems extremely genuine, especially considering how long ago the game came out.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I mean, its resources into a 6 year old game, and now a slight "controversy" ... its kinda a gample? its still a small studio, so 7$ dlc is nothing to sneeze at for a game thats 20 by itself, scaling that to a 60$ game it would be 25$

May 2, 2022
I'm going to snag it on the Switch as I have a decent amount of gold coins that could soften the blow. Though, I must remain strong and not support practices like this one again.

It's very possible, and even likely, that Furi would not have been remotely as successful on PS4 if it wasn't a PS Plus title. They took many steps to get their game prioritized on PS4 and ended up creating their own problem. This is pretty shitty for Xbox owners.

I do think it would have fared better on GWG but I imagined MS blocked it.

What gamble? It's a $7 DLC character lol

You do understand there a chance it may not sell? I don't want the dlc to fail, I'm even planning to buy the Switch version instead.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

Okay? That has nothing to do with your previous point.

Anyway, Steam owners will likely find out the info through... well, Steam. Either through the front page/pop-up news section or, more likely, through the personalized news section seen here (green box):

steam_whatsnew.png

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I mean, its resources into a 6 year old game, and now a slight "controversy" ... its kinda a gample? its still a small studio, so 7$ dlc is nothing to sneeze at for a game thats 20 by itself, scaling that to a 60$ game it would be 25$
You do understand there a chance it may not sell? I don't want the dlc to fail, I'm even planning to buy the Switch version instead.

If the DLC fails at Steam/Switch a Xbox version wouldn't save it anyway (especially considering the cost of porting first)

Tbh, I think there's a big chance of it coming to Xbox if they make their money back elsewhere

Khalid

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox One indies will probably always sell less good than the other console (except for gamepass word to mouth bump).

But techincally think by making this DLC, they are losing money, really don't think by making this, they are going to make new people that were not going to pick it up, to get it. Releasing a DLC 6 years after release, is not going to really bump their sale on the others consoles.

Last edited:

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
feel sorry for the poor social media person.
with the unhinged console warriors and such.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
yeah, it must have barely sold on xbox and they decided it wasn't worth it.

Has any DLC come out that has completely skipped a platform the original game is on? I feel like there can't be many. It is very very strange.
The Wii U version of Arkham Origins sold so poorly they cancelled announced DLC and the Wii U version of Injustice 1 didn't get any of the DLC characters.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely childish responses to a small dev making a sensible business decision.

parasite2

Oct 22, 2020
Furi released on Xbox One in December 2016 as a late port. The game had been free on PS Plus before that year. These were Xbox's toughest years out there, too. It's no rocket science why this game wasn't as popular on Xbox then. I don't understand why the devs didn't get their game on Game Pass alongside the DLC like with Haven (which seemed well received at the time). It's very rare to have a DLC not come to all supported platforms. Don't like this very much especially as their Tweet does imply the DLC is not coming later, too.

The Switch version was released after the Xbox version so...