• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
In my original playthrough I naturally stuck with Shulk the entire time since he can effortlessly hurt Mechon enemies, he's simple enough to understand and you don't need to fret about what Arts to equip, and he's the most useful with his Monado Arts in general.

But thanks to the UI improvements in the Definitive Edition and better understanding the game system, I actually played a decent amount of the game as Melia and really appreciated her magic system, something that never quite spoke to me in the original.

I wanna give some other characters a shot now that I'm at the point where everyone had their tools and I'm wondering which secondary character you all best liked to play as, and any tips when it comes to using them?

...has anyone here dared to use Sharla as their player?
What's the deal with Carna ?
Why would we "dare" to use her.

I do and she can be very interestiing and powerful.
Most people who say she's useless or only healing just don't know how to play with her.

At first she's lacking in options as she needs most of her arts to shine but other characters kind of are in the same spot anyway.
Her gun cooldown can be a strength if used well and barely takes seconds if manually done.

The level 12 manuals made her even crazier, with her last aura being active most of the time and making her able to do her biggest attacks every 5 seconds.
For me, besides Melia, it was:

Seven - you focus on how many auto attacks they do because that's where they actually do the most damage. Try to max out their ability to double attack, link skills that make all double attacks crits, and use the aura that ups their chance to double attack and use gems to decrease auto attack time so they attack more often.
Dunban - he's all about dodging, so pump up his agility and strength, and then you use his worldly slash for some combos to build up his blossom dance ability. Which if you use in a max chain attack does absurd damage and it he does an amazing battle cry.
For very hard battles Dunban is more about just hitting than dodging.
He's the only physical attacker who can reliably hit thanks to having the only accuracy aura.

Riki is the second "best" for that as he has a back accuracy skill and aince it can be used by other characters, he's very nice to have in that case,especially if night accuracy isn't doing enough or if you can't use it, for a day only monster.

Last edited:

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Tier list if you really want to get into the nitty gritty of it.

Havent finished, but this dude is basically right that all the party members (sans Sharla) (and mostly because she's just not...wired that way)* are super good in their owns ways.

* I sincerely consider her a crutch character for risk-averse players. She's useful, but everyone else does more, and better.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Dunban is fun. Draw all the aggro and dodge everything.
Seven is also fun as hell, they are so damn fast with Haste gems, skills and the art that buffs haste.
Even higher level enemies just MELT. :D

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
For me, besides Melia, it was:

Seven - you focus on how many auto attacks they do because that's where they actually do the most damage. Try to max out their ability to double attack, link skills that make all double attacks crits, and use the aura that ups their chance to double attack and use gems to decrease auto attack time so they attack more often.
Dunban - he's all about dodging, so pump up his agility and strength, and then you use his worldly slash for some combos to build up his blossom dance ability. Which if you use in a max chain attack does absurd damage and it he does an amazing battle cry.
BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE
AGAINST THE ODDS
WE CHOOSE TO FIGHT
BLOSSOM DANCE!

Its so cheesy, but dammit, its hype as hell when you have a huge chain going and unleash it on a huge boss :D

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Once I got Melia I played her for pretty much the entire rest of the game. She's way more fun to use than the rest of the cast.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Melia is a powerhouse, but she's not exactly fun to play.
Dunban and Seven are much more enjoyable.

Playing as Sharla isn't that much fun either, but having full control over healing/buffs rather than depending on her AI makes a HUGE difference in battle.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Melia's the best, obviously. You can go for pure support (but why?) burst DPS+support, or DPS over time. Both of the latter options are super engaging

Seven and Dunban are fun, mostly because you're just running around wrecking things

Riki is the debuff king

Have never figured out Reyn

Sharla is best to let the AI use

Mercury_Sagit

Aug 4, 2020
Both Melia and Seven are my favorites, though the 1st case has more to do with how useless she is when being controlled by AI.
Melia has a wide ray of support/elemental spell which can mostly be converted into dps and heal. I feel like the directional buttons (esp < and >) of my joycons suffered so much because of her.
Meanwhile the fun with Seven lies in one of her skill: all double attack deals critical damage. Combined with the fact that her AA recharges her Talent Art, my build for her consequently just focuses on Haste and Double Attack which turns her into a powerhouse that slash through everything except spiked ones (and even in that case Spike Defense or Debuff Resist are adequate compensation).
Dodge tank Dunban is also fun but he has already been good even when being controlled by AI so no need for me to directly control him.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Melia and Seven are my favorites. Melia is versatile, capable of being a blast or DoT DPS alongside her buffs and special abilities. (Also she's my favorite character.) Seven is just a plain fun DPS character with some kickass and flashy abilities.

Oct 25, 2017
this is the most baby take but i just don't understand how to not die without sharla -- i haven't wanted to spoil stuff for myself, and i wanted to be able to discover builds without jumped right into the best build guides, but it seems i've missed something crucial, lol (and I'm level 70!)

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Sharla was my most used character for the first half game or so, but harder to use later, and headshot doesn't really kill enemies. Still fun to play the support roll sometimes.

I've been switching it up for affinities. Rikki and Melia are very fun to play with their status moves and force topple. I don't think I use melia quite right though, and I'm 90% done with the game. Dunno which moves to use first and how long to use before dispelling elementals to attack.

Shulk is fun to use sometimes as well and seven is ok. But her,Dunban and Reyn are the most boring to use

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Melia is great as everyone knows. Just got through the best summons and boom.

Seven was quite good and fun, good to change it up sometimes from being a caster 100 % of the time.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
this is the most baby take but i just don't understand how to not die without sharla -- i haven't wanted to spoil stuff for myself, and i wanted to be able to discover builds without jumped right into the best build guides, but it seems i've missed something crucial, lol (and I'm level 70!)

Yeah, this is definitely a case of not taking advantage of what the game offers you in terms of building characters. That's ok, my first time I thought I had to rely on Sharla for healing for a long time.

Actually, Riki is a really good healer because he has an AoE heal with relatively low cooldown, and on top of that he can actually do support and damage. With the right skills set he can constantly be putting Damage Over Time on enemies, buffing himself, filling the party guage, and healing. And he's decently good at all that.

The trap with Sharla is that you need healing because you're not killing fast enough.

Gems are really important, if your tank is dying you can outfit them with higher Agility (if Dunban) and maybe some Art Heals or such. If Reyn, make sure he's using gear that has good Block.

Really, Gems can make all the difference, they offer so much variety and versatility, even if creating them can be tedious and takes time to figure out.