• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
That picture of Mosby and your take down of it is hilarious. There's so many funko pops at stores like Newbury comics... They seem like fidget spinners but with longer legs. A cool fad that people overdid.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Laura Palmer still best Funko
N3M8o-Zy3cgWOQRKFgFt0ShjG-JY4aR2Oo2cdcwbjBA.jpg

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird how there's a few series that haven't had any Pops at all. And I'm not talking about obscure IP or whatever, but big IP like Zelda and Ghibli.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Their alright but never ever spend more than retail for one
Especially now since a lot of them are getting new models x reprinted or chromed/giant versions

I used to be crazy addicted to them like amiibos but eh I don't care that much anymore

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I've never understood these - the design language is repugnant. The only ones that look reasonable are the ones that break out of that mold and actually resemble the characters somewhat.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, there are a lot of random pieces of pop culture that don't have affordable options or don't have any options at all. Funko fills that gap and there's nothing wrong with that.

I collected a lot of them, but eventually took a break over two years ago. I started collecting statues, and Funkos aesthetically just look ugly next to them by comparison. The main issue I had was that they rarely evolved past the no mouth/black eyeballs design. The rare ones with mouths or even the oddly obscure Funkos are great.

Shackleton

Banned
Mar 19, 2021
User Banned (1 Day): Hostility
Given what we know about the environment, collecting plastic toys is immoral, doing so as an adult is pathetic.

tata toothy

Dec 24, 2017
I ditched collectable culture when I sold a bunch of stuff on ebay during the 2008 recession, one of the best decisions I ever made.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I'm into book collecting and it blows my mind that some people put these dumb things on their shelves next to super expensive books. But being that I collect anything at all I guess I get it. But not really. They're awful!

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I have a fair few. I get why people hate them but I'm a big collector of action figures and can't help picking up a few of characters I like here and there.

I don't like the way humans look in the style, but I think some of the monsters/creatures/robots etc can look quite fun in the aesthetic.

My favourites are the Henson stuff - Sesame Street and Fraggles. I think they're cute and display well together.

Tomita

Oct 25, 2017
When I was in Everett a month ago I had to go past the giant Funko building and there was a line to get in that wrapped around the entire building/block... during a pandemic...

Yo if you like Funkos that's cool but that line was disgusting.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
I'd never get one of those and I if I were gifted one I wouldn't know we're to put it but I've some cool versions of different media. I see no harm in people liking them.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the other day I was in a Half Price Books and they were checking in carts and carts of Funk Pops. I've seen them in heaps around flea markets.

their final destination is Good Will and then the landfill.
This is just the toy collecting version of proudly announcing how all sports is just Sportsball to you.
As someone who collects toys myself and also hates Funko Pops, not really seeing how this statement tracks.
I've never understood these - the design language is repugnant. The only ones that look reasonable are the ones that break out of that mold and actually resemble the characters somewhat.
Yes

the only good ones don't look like Funk Pops lol

TBH, I'm not a fan of any of the toy series that use a basic template and apply a character to it.

Last edited:

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
At least with Nendoroids people generally seem to display them and enjoy them. With Funkos it's almost like collectors buy them just so they'll increase in value because it has an exclusive con sticker or some other nonsense.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least with Nendoroids people generally seem to display them and enjoy them. With Funkos it's almost like collectors buy them just so they'll increase in value because it has an exclusive con sticker or some other nonsense.
They really are just beanie babies. I feel like they've managed to hang around longer because of the nerd culture licensing

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

A lot of people do that.

And many, many, many Funko collectors display them outside of the box too.

I've never understood keeping almost any collectible in the box. I have a big Ikea display thing for my Pops and amiibo.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My defense of the existence of Funkos is that they're perfect for office decor.

I'm not gonna bring my nice and expensive figures to my workplace, and that includes Nendoroids. Funkos are cheap and get the point across, so I have a few at my desk at work.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
They are particularly hideous, but all think all figures are. Not my design aesthetic one bit

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not gonna bring my nice and expensive figures to my workplace, and that includes Nendoroids. Funkos are cheap and get the point across, so I have a few at my desk at work.
Out of curiosity, what is that point you are trying to get across?

OP
OP

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Personally if you are going to decor your office , if you are on a budget you are better with Hasbro o McFarlene toys stuff than funkos or Nendoroids honestly.

I'm in the process to decor my WFH space with some of these.

I've never understood keeping almost any collectible in the box. I have a big Ikea display thing for my Pops and amiibo.

Personally, I keep them in the box only if I have to tear the package to get the figure out. For example, i started to collect some retro Spider-Man figures and NO WAY I'm going to rip that package, I just got this:

E96375L00_5010993723805_pkg_20_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Personally, I keep them in the box only if I have to tear the package to get the figure out. For example, if starting to collect some retro Spider-Man figures and NO WAY I'm going to rip that package, I just got this:

E96375L00_5010993723805_pkg_20_1024x1024.jpg

That's one of those new 6" Marvel Legends figures that they put in retro packaging, right?

I'd love to collect the Legends figures. They just get so expensive. So I generally stick to amiibo at this point. (Cut back hugely on Pops to save on money a while ago.)

OP
OP

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
[
That's one of those new 6" Marvel Legends figures that they put in retro packaging, right?

I'd love to collect the Legends figures. They just get so expensive.

The re-releases (The ones i'm getting) are not so expensive. Around $20 -$25 bucks. They MAY get expensive later so gotta catch them all.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Funkos are objectively kinda dumb but I like that I can have a little figure at my desk of some of my favorite characters and it only cost 10 bucks. Also some of the "nicer" figures can end up looking real ugly in the face but the simplicity of Funkos means they're always cute lol

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Most funko these days are worth less than the materials they are made from. I've said this before but knowing that even if half the funko in the world end up in landfill (which they eventually will) it'll be enough to fill up several football stadiums lasting 1000s of years.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I do not like them one bit. The only one I own came with Season 1 of Game of Thrones and I don't like it on my shelf.

I prefer to save my money and get full statues over 10 Funkos. I also prefer my characters to not look morphed/weird.

But that's just me, if you like 'em that's fine. I just see them as the fast food of collectibles.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Something about them is just really off putting to me, but they must speak to a bunch of other people since they are able to make so damn many of them.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
They make good toys for small children since they don't fall apart. I guess they have that going for them.