• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
This is because nerds put a lot of value into their hobby purchases, so if you're buying something they don't want then you're wrong and should stop.

There is no one saying this in this thread, including my OP.

Nobody is attacking or putting down people who buys Funkos, only pointing out they (Funkos) are super ugly and boring (and they are)

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Eh, they have their place. You wanna spruce up your room and add a bit of personality, you can get a cheap ass $10 Funkopop of your favorite character and put it on your bookshelf or something.

I'll never understand the mass collectors, though. People keeping them in unopened boxes or in fancy display cases like they're some valuable/rare items, that's just weird to me.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
They are cheap and appeal to the lowest common denominator. Its not hard to see why they are so successful, its a tried and true approach to almost any market.

BRsomebody

Oct 28, 2017
Doylestown, PA
You're in luck because Tubbz Ducks are the new hotness

TUBBZ_Numskull.jpg

Oct 30, 2017
I call them comic shop cancer, because every comic shop now has walls full of them, and they seem to keep growing.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no one saying this in this thread, including my OP.

Nobody is attacking or putting down people who buys Funkos, only pointing out they (Funkos) are super ugly and boring (and they are)

Did at any point in your OP you make the comparison to Nendoroids that I wrote that post in response to?

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Always love comparisons between $10 funkos and $50 nenderoids

funkos are great for people on a budget

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also I just really like this one of Grunt.

61MVmIrE4PL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Like a bullfrog in power armour. I love him.

OP
OP

Deleted member 30544

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Did at any point in your OP you make the comparison to Nendoroids that I wrote that post in response to?

Nop, but maybe i got confused and thought you were having issue with people not liking Funkos overall , but all good.

Nendoroids are super ugly too honestly, but at least they have expresions. Still expensive for what they are.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
And some can actually look okay or even good for the pricepoint. I mean this is basically just a cheap big daddy:

Bioshock_Big_Daddy_Funko_Pop.jpg

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
This is because nerds put a lot of value into their hobby purchases, so if you're buying something they don't want then you're wrong and should stop.
Pretty much. I have Nendos too, and prefer them for what they are, but the inevitable comparisons are never not stupid, to me. I would absolutely love a Nendo for Kamala Khan, but that ain't happening for a bit. At least I have my Captain Marvel one, right next to my Captain Marvel and Ms Marvel Funkos.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Anyway I do think they are by and large pretty ugly (this is why I do not spend money on them instead of being a weird volatile baby) but I do like the ones where the big eyes work to their benefit, which mostly they don't since the eyes they're replacing are already good at expressing emotion.

Gigantor_Vinyl_Art_Toys_d99e2aeb-18e8-4f22-a481-ff47f8ce887e.jpg

11369457-3894436398908441.jpg

This one's just flat out a great figure

61PoC%2BU-8VL._AC_SL1034_.jpg
Oh my gosh I need that Al one.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nop, but maybe i got confused and thought you were having issue with people not liking Funkos overall , but all good.

Nendoroids are super ugly too honestly, but at least they have expresions. Still expensive for what they are.

I mean I think going "yeah they're ugly and I don't want one" is perfectly fine, that's why I don't buy them either. I'm the kind of of person who likes collecting figures and don't mind splurging some extra cash for a good figure versus someone who doesn't want to collect figures but hey, here's a $10 toy of that show you liked way back. They're within impulse buy range and cover a wide net.

I don't get the sheer level of vitriol thrown their way, and I especially resent the part of the discourse surrounding them where people who like collecting Funkos are supposed to just buy better figures.

Oh my gosh I need that Al one.

I am not venturing into a Hot Topic for one, but I wouldn't mind coming across it. I like the goofy blob Al becomes in FMA art.

Zac Dynamite

Oct 27, 2017
My Fred Sanford Funko would probably say, "If you replace FUNKO with 'Topics where the OP whines about something people like' in the thread title, then we'd be cooking with gas!"

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much. I always see the "but nendoroids look better!"

No shit, they cost several times more. I may as well give you shit for buying a lego minifig instead of the several hundred dollar model

The faces all looking the same/similar, and the objective build quality/detail of these figures is not what people dislike about them. The problem is peopel find their base design to be ugly. The rectangular box-shaped heads and blank eyes could be something different, yet equally simple/cheap, and they could be better received.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
To me, they look like something from a dystopian future where there's only one giant corporation which makes everything and these are the only toys they make. At least that's what it felt like last time I entered a comic book store and where there used to be all varieties of action figures and collectibles, there is now just shelf after shelf after shelf of these fucking things.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Because ugly is subjective? I like the eyes, theyre stylized. Just got a Prof X for $10, he looks ridiculously serious.

51t3RdntOTL._AC_SY679_.jpg
I cant see spending over $20 for a piece of nerd plastic.

OP
OP

Deleted member 30544

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I don't get the sheer level of vitriol thrown their way, and I especially resent the part of the discourse surrounding them where people who like collecting Funkos are supposed to just buy better figures.

That can be a friendly recommendation, as a collector someone could say "he my friendly advise is to buy something better with your money". At the end of the day, nobody has right to dictate how people spend their money.

But i mean, come on:

b64a6efc-0e59-4758-ae18-1fd61ea7dd48_1140x641.jpg

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I own two, one came with the Collector's Edition of a game though. The one I own is the wrestler Macho Man Randy Savage. I like it, but I was surprised at the low quality of the paint job. That fortunately kept me from collecting.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Some characters work better than others. They're like $10, sometimes even less. I personally wouldn't collect them, but I was thinking of getting one to put on my work-from-home desk. What I'm not going to do is find a perfect, $50+ figure for my desk, that's for sure.

The Iroh one posted earlier in this thread looks nice.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I don't like them but they're $10 toys that bring people a little bit of happiness so they're fine for that IMO

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes those eyes and big boxy heads really work out in the figures favor

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it finally happened yesterday, I've been talking to this girl on a dating app for awhile and yesterday she came over for the first time. Let's just say we got down and dirty. My favorite Iron Man POP was on the shelf while I was getting some action and I actually looked over at it a few times just to be sure he would be included in the memory. I was already greatly fond of this Pop but I'm feeling a lot more sentimental now that it's been part of such an incredible experience, I don't think I could ever get rid of it now. Is there anyone on here who had a similar experience? What pops do you still have from when you lost your virginity?

OP
OP

Deleted member 30544

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
So it finally happened yesterday, I've been talking to this girl on a dating app for awhile and yesterday she came over for the first time. Let's just say we got down and dirty. My favorite Iron Man POP was on the shelf while I was getting some action and I actually looked over at it a few times just to be sure he would be included in the memory. I was already greatly fond of this Pop but I'm feeling a lot more sentimental now that it's been part of such an incredible experience, I don't think I could ever get rid of it now. Is there anyone on here who had a similar experience? What pops do you still have from when you lost your virginity?

tenor.gif

Im guessing this is pasta right?

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
they're disgusting and I'll never understand how anyone could possibly like them

I've gotten one for two as a gift and I threw them away

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
Wonder how they choose which figures get more love than others, because the examples of better ones in here seem to be a major exception to the rule.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Cartoon characters/monsters tend to look best. I sort of collect cool looking ghost/monster ones (I've got Cthulhu, The Woman In Black, the librarian from Ghostbusters, a Dementer, Weeping Angel, Turbo, Chernanbog...). There's some Scooby Doo ones I keep meaning to grab, but don't exactly think will fit.

I think the best thing about them is they're so popular that they're the ONLY form of merch a ton of characters get, like, ever. Rock Candy and Mystery Mini style Funkos look better than POPs, though. It's kind of weird because Rock Candy weren't that much more expensive and look way less stylized, I wish they'd wound up being the runaway success POPs are.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They don't appeal to me, but Nendoroids are far worse. Absolute nightmare fuel.

Switters

Oct 28, 2017
One day my Ruth Bader Ginsberg Funko will be worth 10's of dollars. Just gotta play the long game.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Not all of these are $10 bucks. Because they are being marketed as a collectible, they have some that are rare like the "chase" versions. Some of these sell for thousands on the secondary market and conventions. People are spending a lot of money feeding their collecting addiction.
As soon as a collectible starts being considered and investment, it can be a problem. When the bubble pops and the market crashes, a lot of people will have spent thousands on useless toys.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
They'd be much, much better if they didn't stay so strict to the black-dot-for-eyes rule. It's the most unattractive part of the figures.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I own this one and I think it's okay

(helps that I got it for $3 brand new)

5103kTvagzL._AC_.jpg