• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING I AM SO EXCITED!

Seriously, I am so excited.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I hope they managed to get the original dub for it, too.

How was the Japanese Blu-Ray? Wasn't it a pretty bad upscale?

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I saw bits and pieces of this show as a sleep-addled child on Adult Swim. For whatever reason, those bits and pieces have haunted me for all these years. I'm unbelievably excited to get to watch the series in full.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I would never see the day where we would get all of Kon's work in HD. I have never been happier to be wrong.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I have fond memories of watching this late at night on Adult Swim (when I should have been getting my rest for school lol) and have been hoping to see it get a new video release.

Kind of funny side note: I bought a Paranoia Agent PSP UMD video years back, but when you play the UMD it loads up the original Hellsing anime instead.

N0xtis

Nov 19, 2019
NJ, USA
Man this brings back a ton of memories of watching this on CN. I loved the whole series. Loved so much of the imagery it used. Yikes I feel old now, still an instabuy.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
FUCK YES

Between this and Tokyo Godfathers, my Kon collection will finally be complete!

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Damn... I knew I screwed up by not selling my mint original DVD set before now.
Was contemplating it heavily over the holidays, too.

Jonathan Klein's original dub is pretty darn immaculate. I'm not sure it could be improved upon in any meaningful way.

My major complaint is just that they didn't translate any of the text.

Oct 29, 2017
An all time favorite, I remember stayin' up late to watch it on Adult Swim in HS. I hope they re-release the series, and/or create a new one.

Also, best anime opening? Best anime opening.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
WE ALMOST THERE

TOMORROW

HOT DAMN

FarBriefAmazonparrot-size_restricted.gif

Blindside

Jan 23, 2020
Did a quick skim of the first episode; it's a deinterlaced upscale, and all the shots on the DVD that were super low-res continue to be low-res on the stream.

Basically: it's digipaint, and the only way to properly fix it is to reanimate it at a higher resolution, ala what Trigger did with Gurren Lagann ... and good luck making your money back on that.

Dub is Geneon original. OP is JP, and ED is JP as well (unlike the Geneon release, which used an English credits scroll). This unfortunately means that the dub credits are missing. I assume a reworked credits scroll is coming for physical.

That said: just watch it. It's Paranoia Agent, ergo it's good.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Has anyone watched it yet. I'm not subscribed to Funimation's streaming service and I'm waiting on the Blu-Ray. I was just wondering how it looks. If it's a new upscale or the same as the Japanese Blu-Ray release.

7/28: Release date confirmed for October 13, Best Buy to receive exclusive SteelBook packaging
Oct 27, 2017
What a coincidence, I just finished watching the series just yesterday night.
Spanish Blu Ray, but looks like a dvd with some very pixelated low res scenes and a very soft look in general, don't think it's much better looking than a dvd to be honest.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
The director's commentary on the original DVD release was something. Kon was quite candid about having nothing after the mid point and winging the ending with those standalone eps in the back end to giving him some time to think of an ending. Still loved it for the most part.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just watched through this for the first time. Really loved the show and I think I'll have to get that steelbook. Wish there was an easier way to grab it in Canada though.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably just go with the regular. Steelbooks don't fit with the rest of my collection.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So the Best Buy steelbook, which was supposed to come out two months early, just got delayed to 12/15. And it's the same one that Rightstuf is selling, now releasing on the same date. What, exactly, is exclusive about the Best Buy version to warrant the Only @ Best Buy tag?
Best Buy:
oGmzrBE.png

Rightstuf:
F1wQs6K.png

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Please please please be region free.

EDIT: Doesn't look like it. Hoping Alltheanime gets their hands on the European distribution rights.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If anyone finds anywhere else that ships this to the UK, I'd be immensely grateful. Amazon US are not, sadly.

Rightstuf ships, but postage is horrendous.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
So the Best Buy steelbook, which was supposed to come out two months early, just got delayed to 12/15. And it's the same one that Rightstuf is selling, now releasing on the same date. What, exactly, is exclusive about the Best Buy version to warrant the Only @ Best Buy tag?
Best Buy:
oGmzrBE.png

Rightstuf:
F1wQs6K.png

Does the Rightstuf version include the digital copy?