• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
oh damn i just got it.

Yusuke is telling her that her way of life is half-assing just because she "cant" pick between being a man or a woman.

holy fuck, that is really bad.

and here i was thinking yusuke was pushing her to be who she wants to be :s

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
oh damn i just got it.

Yusuke is telling her that her way of life is half-assing just because she "cant" pick between being a man or a woman.

ok phew, your ass will be safe now

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldnt have made more sense (and been less controversial) to use a Naruto Haku image???

Like, I'm trying understand why the social media account decided to go, 'teehee transphobia' when it could have been completely avoided.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
It is interesting to see Togashi's views transition from that scene to Alluka in HxH over the years, looks like he changed a lot. (Unless I'm misremembering and Alluka had some weird stuff too)

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldnt have made more sense (and been less controversial) to use a Naruto Haku image???

Like, I'm trying understand why the social media account decided to go, 'teehee transphobia' when it could have been completely avoided.
Well yah. Haku is also way more popular than the 2 min lady demon who people only remember now when they rewatch the series.

ant1532

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Rationalizing Transphobia and a History of Dismissive Behavior; Account in Junior Phase
Honestly, it's... really a product of it's time (and honestly, even Sailor Moon did occasionally mess up Trans issues a bit, despite being very inclusive for the LGBTQ community), but I'm not gonna down play how fucked up it is. It also raises an issue too that Yusuke won't fight a woman, which is just another layer of issues on top of that.

It's really, honestly, the LOWEST point of the series. If Yu Yu Hakusho ever gets a new adaptation, that's definitely one scene I'd like to be re-written around.
He is a 14 year old punk Japanese boy with a distant mom who lives in 80's japan. This behavior is in character. At the end of the series he would very well act more morally rational.

It's a shame that people want to own and rewrite someones artwork and won't accept it for its genuine flaws and different point of view. This is different than wanting political or social political objects and symbolism removed. This is someone else's artwork who had there own life growing up in 60-70s Japan.The show isn't for small children and Yusuke does a lot more inappropriate behavior in this.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is someone else's artwork who had there own life growing up in 60-70s Japan. The show isn't for small children and Yusuke does a lot more inappropriate behavior in this.

Uh...

unknown.png

This is directly from Fuji TV's licensing site for their current and backlog titles for anime, drama, etc., and they often define the age of the target demographic. I don't know about you, but "8 years and up" is still fairly young. In fact, you'd be surprised how much anime that has certain types of content that are for young kids. Hell, I don't wanna get into this a bit, but Dragon Ball has some REALLY misogynistic jokes, targeting Bulma mostly, but sometimes other female characters too, along with Roshi. And this is the same demographic too.

And as for re-looking back on your older works, sometimes authors will re-work something because they've since recognized things they did back then weren't great or wouldn't fly today because of understanding issues better. It's not that uncommon, honestly. Heck, even modern adaptations have actually removed problematic material.

This isn't about revising an already existing work, but a new adaptation of old material you're revising. This is a very key difference. I'm absolutely, in no way, asking for the manga, or even the old anime, to be rewritten or re-cut. But for a new adaptation? I think it's appropriate, especially given the target audience.

Oct 27, 2017
Debatable. There was a scene during the Sensui arc, where Itsuki made it clear he was in love with Sensui and Kuwabara said something to the effect of "Don't touch me, I don't want your disease!". Remember thinking that shit was surprisingly bad, even for 2004.

I would argue that's more an indictment of Kuwabara than Togashi's views considering the Sensui Itsuki romance was pretty blatant and no other characters seemed to care. In fact Koenma seemed to describe it tenderly, not as something repulsive. Then again, how do you know when a character is being bigoted vs when the author is representing their views?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

Well yah. Haku is also way more popular than the 2 min lady demon who people only remember now when they rewatch the series.
FUNimation don't own the license to Naruto, Viz do (still doesn't make whoever handled FUNimation's Twitter account any less dumb, though).

ant1532

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh...

unknown.png

This is directly from Fuji TV's licensing site for their current and backlog titles for anime, drama, etc., and they often define the age of the target demographic. I don't know about you, but "8 years and up" is still fairly young. In fact, you'd be surprised how much anime that has certain types of content that are for young kids. Hell, I don't wanna get into this a bit, but Dragon Ball has some REALLY misogynistic jokes, targeting Bulma mostly, but sometimes other female characters too, along with Roshi. And this is the same demographic too.

And as for re-looking back on your older works, sometimes authors will re-work something because they've since recognized things they did back then weren't great or wouldn't fly today because of understanding issues better. It's not that uncommon, honestly. Heck, even modern adaptations have actually removed problematic material.

This isn't about revising an already existing work, but a new adaptation of old material you're revising. This is a very key difference. I'm absolutely, in no way, asking for the manga, or even the old anime, to be rewritten or re-cut. But for a new adaptation? I think it's appropriate, especially given the target audience.
That's for the anime in Japan. Whose culture, society, and legal system is completely different from ours. (irrelevant to me, but manga is also aimed at 13-17 year olds in japan as thats Shonens target audience.) They have a a LOT of things in things in their society that can cause outrage from what we find morally right and I'm sure would agree on. I'm speaking where I'm from. In the US, it's a parentally guided show for these reasons.

I'm not against new adaptations. But would we really want a new anime adaptation of Yu Yu Hakusho at this point? If anything, I'd rather have something completely new.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Sticking with YYH, I feel like they literally could have just posted a pic of Kurama.

Master Of Illusion

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
oh damn i just got it.

It's not entirely out of character though. Yusuke is a street punk who realistically wouldn't be anywhere near "woke" on certain topics (especially in 1992). At least she goes out of her way to explain to Yusuke her side, which is more than you'd normally get in anime even now.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Given that sexism, transphobia, racism and pedophilia (just to name a few) are basically ingrained into modern-day anime and anime related products, yeah, I do feel like it's a reasonable conclusion to draw.
This ain't the mid 2000s

It's there yes but it's doing better ,especially on the Pedophilia
Shit was so fucking common back then, looking at you Kodomo no Jikan

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This tweet is kinda in that middle ground where, like, it's offensive but you can see what they were thinking when posting it.

I think Funi should issue an apology, but it's probably not worth firing their social media manager imo

Also surprise a show from the 90's has a few bits that are problematic today

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Also, I'm not here to change anyone's minds but I personally would recommend watching Yu Yu Hakusho, it's an amazing shonen (at least the Dark Tournament arc is), unfortunately the scene in question was a product of it's time and nothing like that ever appears in the series or at least in any of Togashi's later works.

Debatable. There was a scene during the Sensui arc, where Itsuki made it clear he was in love with Sensui and Kuwabara said something to the effect of "Don't touch me, I don't want your disease!". Remember thinking that shit was surprisingly bad, even for 2004.

Never mind what i said about the "nothing like that", legit forgot about the Sensui arc

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
oh damn i just got it.

I would say it is wrong even in that extent.

To be trans, you don't "have" to do anything. You don't need to have surgery to "fully" transition and you don't even need to take HRT. The concept of pre-op/post-op implies that. Even if Yu was trying to push them, that's still wrong because he doesn't get a say in any of that. The character in question can do and be anything she wants.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Shit I don't remember that scene at all. Fucked up and a product of its time. Stain on the series, but not a reason to avoid Yu Yu.

Funi, on the other hand, should definitely reprimand their social media person. Don't know why they thought that tweet would fly.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would say it is wrong even in that extent.

To be trans, you don't "have" to do anything. You don't need to have surgery to "fully" transition and you don't even need to take HRT. The concept of pre-op/post-op implies that. Even if Yu was trying to push them, that's still wrong because he doesn't get a say in any of that. The character in question can do and be anything she wants.

yes, that was i was actually asking at first, if it is looked as bad to try to "push" someone to do the operation.

i guess there is a difference with family and friends encouraging people to do the operation than a complete stranger telling you you are half assing it

Oct 27, 2017
Given that sexism, transphobia, racism and pedophilia (just to name a few) are basically ingrained into modern-day anime and anime related products, yeah, I do feel like it's a reasonable conclusion to draw.
Dude, do you not go outside? That's all still ingrained in culture in general. I'm not trying to stan for anime, but every time people say this kinda stuff I wonder - do they realize that you can't "normalize" problematic attitudes/beliefs when those problematic attitudes/beliefs are already, well, normal in the west?

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Why can't the fuckers (funimation) just not be assholes?

It's not hard, all you have to do is not be a bigot/transphobe/racist etc

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The tweet likens people trying a gender swapping filter to a transgender anime character, who was not treated well. Not a considerate or sensitive tweet at least. I see how people could take it as being offensive.

Last edited:

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
do you not go outside? That's all still ingrained in culture in general. I'm not trying to stan for anime, but every time people say this kinda stuff I wonder - do they realize that you can't "normalize" problematic attitudes/beliefs when those problematic attitudes/beliefs are already, well, normal in the west?
It's a lot worse in anime. A LOT worse.

(Also saying it's bad elsewhere doesn't excuse the huge problem in anime)

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Shows from 1994 doesn't make it right though and if that was left that way for the dub then it's like WTF

Oct 27, 2017
It's a lot worse in anime. A LOT worse.

(Also saying it's bad elsewhere doesn't excuse the huge problem in anime)
It's late night anime made by and marketed to teenage boys and young men. No doy it's gonna be worse.

This isn't "whataboutism." It's a matter of perspective. We could firebomb all the studios that produce this insipid trash* and not make a dent in the actual issue of normalized bigotry. Media can reinforce one's worldview, but at the end of the day art reflects life.

I mean, you can watch and not watch whatever you want for whatever reason, but let's not pretend selective media consumption makes us any more ethical than anyone else.

*Not saying Yu Yu Hakusho is insipid trash. C'mon, ya'll know what I mean.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh noo :(

Very disappointed that Yuyu Hakusho has this. I remember it being great and wanting to revisit it, but I guess that's what happens sometimes with old material.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This was a bad tweet, but it's hard to ascribe a single action to the company culture as a whole. They don't have a history of tweets like this, do they?

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yes, that was i was actually asking at first, if it is looked as bad to try to "push" someone to do the operation.

i guess there is a difference with family and friends encouraging people to do the operation than a complete stranger telling you you are half assing it

Neither of those are really good things to be honest. No one should be pushed towards an operation because those operations aren't necessary for someone's identity to be considered valid. Whether it's family, friends, or a stranger, it really isn't their business what's in your pants. When you try to act like someone needs or should want something like that when they might not, you are saying that they are half assing it whether you mean to or not.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
"The character is ignorant" is a decent criticism if the series highlights that in regards to this particular moment in order to comment on the moment, or if this is such a consistent trait that we're meant that assume that anything they do is being criticized. Are either of these things the case, or is Yusuke ever presented as someone to admire agree with, and this action goes without further comment?

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
That they deleted it indicates they knew it was a mistake. Definitely a big misstep though. Glad people called them out on it.

Also did not know Yusuke was a truscum, that's... ew.

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That they deleted it indicates they knew it was a mistake. Definitely a big misstep though. Glad people called them out on it.

Also did not know Yusuke was a truscum, that's... ew.
That's not really what that word is for - this is garden variety transphobia. Just like how TERF is starting to be used just to mean "a woman who is transphobic" rather than people down the well of the very specific strain of radical "feminism" it was coined to reference.

Truscum is mostly an in-community term for a certain kind of gatekeeping.