• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
picking dub instead of sub from a drop down menu is not that complicated, respectfully

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Different strokes, I guess. Funimation regularly fucks up for me to the point where like the next/prev episode buttons wont even work, so I'd consider crunchy better nowadays, at least on desktop.

Netflix just spoils me with a competent player, i guess.
The Crunchyroll web player isn't terrible, but there's these black squares/artifacts that flash in the center of the screen every few seconds and I find it really distracting. I also don't like the DRM that makes it a pain to take screenshots.

One of the things I really like about the Funimation player is that it will scale to my window size really nicely. I watch a lot of anime while I'm working. I can put a Funimation window to the side of my screen and it'll fill that window with as little black space as possible (while still maintaining the aspect ratio). Crunchyroll for whatever reason will give me a small video with way more wasted black space bordering it.

But I still end up watching Crunchyroll way more often than Funimation just because they've got way more content that I care about lol

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
I have subscriptions for both services.
Do I need to cancel Funimation or will they just stop charging me for that?
Also crunchyroll app on my AppleTV is pure shit, it ALWAYS asks me for my login credentials every time I open the app.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they can put some of that money into making the CR app not complete dog shit.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised and disappointed that the Funimation name is the one being dropped. Not only is it older but it's much more illustrative of the product.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Also crunchyroll app on my AppleTV is pure shit, it ALWAYS asks me for my login credentials every time I open the app.

My Roku version does the same thing. Between signing in, the crashes as it loads, and it screwing up replays (it sometimes plays four ads then ten seconds of episode then more ads) watching a single episode of a show sometimes takes 50% longer than the episode is.

I think Tatami Galaxy was on Funimation so hopefully I can watch it now, at least.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
My wife signed up to FUNimation for a year then forgot to cancel. I assume we're stuck with it?

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I have subscriptions for both services.
Do I need to cancel Funimation or will they just stop charging me for that?

Funimation Blog Post said:
Should I cancel my Funimation account and open a Crunchyroll account?

• 3 hours ago
  • Updated

With so many new shows coming to Crunchyroll, Funimation subscribers will want to sign-up for a Crunchyroll subscription as soon as possible!

In fact, if you're a Funimation paying subscriber and you started your subscription before 2/28/22, we'll be offering you a 60-day Free Trial of Crunchyroll Premium. This offer is available to new Crunchyroll subscribers only, so if you already have a paid Crunchyroll subscription, you won't be eligible. Qualified users will receive an email by March 8, 2022 with their own unique link to redeem this offer.

Please note that your existing Funimation digital copy, watch history or queue won't be transferred to Crunchyroll yet, but we're working on it. Find out how to cancel your Funimation subscription here.

Basically: You should look into canceling.

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
Also I just checked the Crunchyroll app and couldn't stream One Piece English dub version.
I couldn't even find the option.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
picking dub instead of sub from a drop down menu is not that complicated, respectfully
Unfortunately its not like that in all versions of the Crunchyroll app. On TV apps and roku it actually cuts off the title and you have to scroll the title by waiting like 2 seconds and when the tilte finally ends you will see what dub it is. Its crazy when the title is really long and there are multiple dubs available. You also can't really search for dubs or they don't even have the category. They need another redesign even though they just did one like last year.

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe that Funimation as a brand is gonna be gone soon. They've been around since the 90's. End of an era.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
What does this mean for regions where Funimation was not available? Do we get new content, or everything just stays the same?

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I have a Crunchyroll account, but it was never Premium. I did get an email about the 60 days, so hopefully it will work with my current account despite their blog saying "only for new Crunchyroll Subscribers".

Unfortunately its not like that in all versions of the Crunchyroll app. On TV apps and roku it actually cuts off the title and you have to scroll the title by waiting like 2 seconds and when the tilte finally ends you will see what dub it is. Its crazy when the title is really long and there are multiple dubs available. You also can't really search for dubs or they don't even have the category. They need another redesign even though they just did one like last year.

Trying to find which dub I was highlighting for things like Konosuba and Villainess is WILD because of that dumb side-scrolling thing lol

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised and disappointed that the Funimation name is the one being dropped. Not only is it older but it's much more illustrative of the product.
For people in the US. In Latin America Funimation still blocks you if it isn't available in your country. Crunchyroll has been the only legal anime provider for years.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Was wondering where all that anime on Hulu was going Friday. So much anime on that platform expires Thursday

Now I know and don't have to sub tk a new service!!

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Yu Yu Hakusho OVAs (Sub)

Seeing that on the migrated list reminds me of when I saw the dub for the OVAs years ago that I believe were done by a completely different company long before the series ever got dubbed. The clearest thing I can remember was how deep Kuwabara's voice was in it.

I gotta track that down again.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Has then been any word on them continuing to offer multiple language dubs? My Hero on Funimation has the Spanish dub for the first 3 or 4 seasons up and I would hate if they stopped doing that. More options is always great.

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Does CR still do year long subscriptions? It's been several years since I had a subscription. I still purchase most of my anime on blu ray these days anyway so I don't see myself using a sub much but I'd like the option.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Does CR still do year long subscriptions? It's been several years since I had a subscription. I still purchase most of my anime on blu ray these days anyway so I don't see myself using a sub much but I'd like the option.

Not that I saw. Just logged into my old account to see what tiers were available whenever that 60 day free pass expires.

Three Tiers - All monthly: $7.99, $9.99, $14.99 (Higher tiers have discounts on the store, more screens allowed for simul-streaming, etc.)

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing that on the migrated list reminds me of when I saw the dub for the OVAs years ago that I believe were done by a completely different company long before the series ever got dubbed. The clearest thing I can remember was how deep Kuwabara's voice was in it.

I gotta track that down again.
You forgot the most important change- his name was "KuwaHara" in that dub!

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Not that I saw. Just logged into my old account to see what tiers were available whenever that 60 day free pass expires.

Three Tiers - All monthly: $7.99, $9.99, $14.99 (Higher tiers have discounts on the store, more screens allowed for simul-streaming, etc.)
That's disappointing. I'm trying to cut down on my subscriptions but I can justify my mental gymnastics requirements if it's a singular purchase for a whole year. Guess I'm sticking to blu rays. I just hope that this doesn't mean a reduction in physical media output from them.

Oct 25, 2017
20220301_175419.jpg

God CR is so fucking bad

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I super don't want to have to make a list of where I was on all my anime... That would take forever...

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Casual anime viewer here - think I had a better experience with Crunchyroll overall, but I hadn't used Funimation in years.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
This is convenient, I canceled my Funimation monthly sub a month or so ago because I needed to trim my number of services.

I went to check after seeing their question, to find that I am grandfathered into some $59.95 yearly subscription. I don't even have the option to switch to the monthly plans, not that I would given I'm paying less than $5 a month overall.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Checking Crunchyroll I can see that there are only monthly subs available on the US site, but on the UK site there is an annual sub available for £80/year.

Feb 9, 2018
Funimation home video releases are keeping the Funimation branding for the foreseeable future; they've already solicited titles through the end of May with no signs of changing anything on that front.
Gotcha. Thanks!

I imagine Funi will remain the home video brand at least for the near future at least. Maybe they'd co-brand it to transition. Physical anime is so incredibly expensive still (although obviously a lot cheaper than before) that I think it must be very, very niche at this point. I haven't bought any series I like in ages -- $50-60 for like half a season is just not a compelling price for me.
Our standards of acceptable pricing for anime have definitely changed over the years. I started collecting anime DVDs back in 2000, and had amassed a decent collection by 2005. I would go to Suncoast every other Tuesday to check out their new releases (though sometimes I got my DVDs from Best Buy). The MSRP for a 3 or 4 episode disc was $30, though Suncoast would often have them on sale for $25 on release day. A full 12-13 episode series or season would be spread across 3 or 4 discs, so that ends up being $90 or $120 for the whole series/season at MSRP, or anywhere from $7.50 to $10 per episode. And that's not accounting for inflation, which brought the per episode cost to nearly $12-16 in today's dollars for a 2002 release.

There's a reason why "Anime: Crack is Cheaper" was a meme back in the 00s. It was not easy on the wallet being a fan unless you limited yourself to what was on Toonami or Showtime Beyond or whoever else was airing anime on TV back in the early to mid 00s. Needless to say, after 2005 I had to stop collecting as I lost my job at Walmart, and money was tight for a good long time after that. When the bubble popped towards the end of the 00s the surviving distributors started releasing half-season or full-season sets. Near the end of the decade I started collecting DVDs regularly again. It was definitely much cheaper to collect by that point. Instead of an MSRP of $30 for 3-4 episodes, you got 12-13 episodes for $40-60. That's like $3-5 per episode, a tremendous drop in the unadjusted per-episode sticker price from the 3-4 episode singles. The vast majority of TV anime has been released in this fashion ever since, at least from the likes of Funimation, Sentai, and Viz. Most standard edition Blu-ray sets run at a maximum MSRP of $65 for 12-13 episodes, or $5 to $5.40 per episode, but you can usually get them much cheaper at Right Stuf, often around $45 or so, or less than $3.75 per episode.

This is what my collection looked like around late 2009:

hpim1000.jpg

hpim0960.jpg

hpim1005.jpg

Most of that was collected by the end of 2005. The half-season and "Complete Collection" sets, and everything else on the right half of the third row, was purchased in the late 00s, not too long before this photo was taken. All in all, I probably spent a few thousand dollars on anime in the 00s.

Of course, streaming has increasingly become the standard over the past 10-12 years, and I guess for most fans even $3.75 per episode can't compete with $10 per month for as many episodes as you have the time and desire for, all released as simulcasts instead of having to wait months for the physical release. I still collect anime Blu-rays on occasion, mostly movies (I picked up the 4K Blu-ray for Akira from Best Buy last week), but I do still get shows I really, really like. But thanks to streaming I no longer just buy any old title that looks interesting. I'm a lot more reserved when it comes to spending money on physical releases. While I spent a few thousand on anime between 2000 and 2005, I've maybe spent a few hundred in the past decade, despite having more discretionary income (being a homeowner gives you a lot of incentive to save money just in case).