• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
No one here is happy about it. It's just practical thinking. The f-word was sadly normalized especially in adult humor. this was in an age when no one blinked at the term "tranny".
This.

Nobody here is excusing what Sean said in the recording. In fact I haven't seen anyone do that. The general consensus seems to be that regardless of when it was he needs to come forward and apologize. The discussion surrounding the when of it is just acknowledging times were different (because they were) but that it doesn't excuse the comments.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
If this is from 2002 then it's really not as awful as it sounds. I mean it was still painful and cringy to hear him say f-word like 5 or 6 times in a row though...

Hangover's first trailer in 2009 straight up had "Paging Dr F-----t" line in the trailer that everyone thought was hilarious
Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.

I know I personally was saying some wild shit around then, same with the mid-00s. I grew up around 10 years ago so yeah, if they've learned then they've learned. Glad it wasn't these past idk 6 years or so.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
"Everyone else was happy being openly homophobic at the time so it's cool for Goku's VA to just be llike 'faggoty fag faggot in character'"

Between this and the Chappelle stuff this board really has been telling on itself lately
FWIW, I don't think anyone is really saying that it's okay but there's definitely a difference between someone saying a thing 10+ years ago and as far as we know not continuing to do those actions today and a Netflix special that came out a few days ago.

If this is a continued thing these VAs do they all gotta go. If it's not, they should apologise for doing something stupid and offensive a decade ago and everyone should move on, like the James Gunn stuff. And like the Gunn stuff this has been dug up specifically to deflect attention away from a sex offender.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Its some dumb stuff but its stuff that is almost 2 freaking decades old.

Some people here were born around that time. Let that sink in.

It was a different time in terms of using the f-word. A sorry should be more than enough.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
"Everyone else was happy being openly homophobic at the time so it's cool for Goku's VA to just be llike 'faggoty fag faggot in character'"

Between this and the Chappelle stuff this board really has been telling on itself lately

Chappelle said questionable stuff in a special that released last week.

These clips are from a time where you literally heard worse in Saturday fucking Night Live and South Park.

These two situations are not even remotely in the same ballpark

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to defend it, but come on this is obviously bait.

It's 20 years old. Vic was being a disgusting creep as recently as last year.

And I've never heard anything else otherwise about the voice actors. Vic has had this reputation for years.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
The unfortunate thing is, the only reason anyone is talking about this is because Vic's dirtbag lawyers are trying to hide what a obvious con their case is.

That's not to say what Sean said was okay, or that he shouldn't apologize, but it's worth noting why we're talking about this.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Don't really care about this, it is an old clip of crass/cringe humor that was common in the 2000s, and an obvious ploy by crappy Vic supporters.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
The amount of high horse discussion in this thread.. come on.

No one is excusing homophobic slurs. They're gross and hurtful but for people to jump in this thread like they've never said anything even slightly offensive at all and act like this entire thread is excusing the slurs so they're automatically "showing their ass" is exactly what the people who leaked this (KickVic supporters) want us to do.

Instead of having a civil discussion it's turning into "well it's homophobic and you're a piece of shit for even thinking of things like CONTEXT"

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Plenty of people on this page saying "oh, but South Park, but The Hangover, but the shitty little kids at my school, it was just the culture of the time"

As someone that was a queer kid in 2002 or whenever this is meant to be from having to put up with that bullshit back then it was just as bad as it is now, people just didn't care and "oh, it's not so bad if it was from back then when everyone was homophobic" is bullshit

Right. This is equally as true as the fact that there's an obvious partisan motivation for releasing this.

Ultimately I don't think it's wrong to demand an apology for it at all, even if the event was so long ago the voice actors have moved on from it and grown. If anything the apology would be meaningless if they haven't.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In 2002, marginalized voices were even more suppressed than they are today, by a huge margin. Which meant that it was much rarer for someone to be confronted with the consequences of their language. And people learn to be better people often by learning about the negative outcome of their actions.

While in 2019 you pretty much have to be a willful piece of trash if you continue to say these things, because society has taken steps forward in elevating the voices that they weren't in 2002. We still have a LONG way to go, but these last 17 years have been instructive to people.

TravoltaWatchesYou

Alt account
Banned
Aug 24, 2019
In the early 2010s, they literally had an ad campaign where celebrities tell teenagers that using "gay" or "retarded" to describe things is wrong. And that was years after these bloopers.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's some rough shit for sure, but it... kinda seems like the kind of outtakes extras anime DVDs used to have all the time? I assume they don't have such things on anime discs these days then?

I was actually just reading about this being part of some big, co-ordinated smear campaign to punish Funimation for Vic Mignogna being fired as well... jesus but that creepy fucker has the worst, most cultish fans I have ever fucking seen spring up around a fucking voice actor of all things.

Get over it already, he's finished.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
No one here is happy about it. It's just practical thinking. The f-word was sadly normalized especially in adult humor. this was in an age when no one blinked at the term "tranny".
It is hella shocking to go back to old episodes of SVU and hear Benson all of people casually throwing that word around whenever a trans victim is involved in a case.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
One would hope but since this is a series that has Mr. Poppo we'll see.

Also possible.
It isn't just possible. It's exactly what has happened. Alt right shitgibbons suddenly care about homophobic slurs when it "helps" in making the victims & accusers of their favourite pedo VA look bad, as if that has any bearing to the accusations towards Vic.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
From 2002? I don't know if I can get angry over this. I did and said a ton of stupid shit back then. I mean, hell, I voted for Bush his first run.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of high horse discussion in this thread.. come on.

No one is excusing homophobic slurs. They're gross and hurtful but for people to jump in this thread like they've never said anything even slightly offensive at all and act like this entire thread is excusing the slurs so they're automatically "showing their ass" is exactly what the people who leaked this (KickVic supporters) want us to do.

Instead of having a civil discussion it's turning into "well it's homophobic and you're a piece of shit for even thinking of things like CONTEXT"
Small correction here, ISWV supporters (the opposite of KickVic) leaked this. Specifically a youtube lawyer who defends the use of Blackface and has many pictures of himself in blackface leaked it.

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Am I the only one using some pretty awful language among friends because everyone involved know none of us actually harbor the despicable views connected to using such language? We do it for shock value and to make fun of the absurdity of having such views. In my mind this is comparable, no? If not I'd love for someone to educate me.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Goku using the f word is a bad look, hope he releases a statement seriously apologising for it.

The rest is eh. Just people having stupid fun.

TravoltaWatchesYou

Alt account
Banned
Aug 24, 2019
That's some rough shit for sure, but it... kinda seems like the kind of outtakes extras anime DVDs used to have all the time? I assume they don't have such things on anime discs these days then?

I was actually just reading about this being part of some big, co-ordinated smear campaign to punish Funimation for Vic Mignogna being fired as well... jesus but that creepy fucker has the worst, most cultish fans I have ever fucking seen spring up around a fucking voice actor of all things.

Get over it already, he's finished.

Being cultish about anyone or anything is pathetic, but being obsessed and protective of a middle aged, rapist, anime dub voice actor? That is next level pathetic, just disturbing.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
If the recordings were recent I'd have more of a problem with it but it's from a time where that language was normalized to some degree, unlike now. Doesn't help that the leaker clearly has a pro Vic agenda.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one using some pretty awful language among friends because everyone involved know none of us actually harbor the despicable views connected to using such language? We do it for shock value and to make fun of the absurdity of having such views. In my mind this is comparable, no? If not I'd love for someone to educate me.
that's cringe bro

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
Why is the year of 2002 discussion even relevant?

It's fucked up to use slurs that demean marginalized people. Doesn't matter the year.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ew. Why would you want to create such an ugly environment? Saying bad words stopped being funny in middle school, adults doing it is just pathetic.

It's fucked up to use slurs that demean marginalized people. Doesn't matter the year.
Main difference is there was less education and awareness at the time. Awareness is one of things we've been fighting for, and how we've reduced these words in the common vernacular.

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Excusing bigoted slurs
Ew. Why would you want to create such an ugly environment? Saying bad words stopped being funny in middle school, adults doing it is just pathetic.
Ugly environment? As long as no one is hurt, what is the big deal? Of course if anyone in the group would take offense we would stop immediately, but no one is. It's just the way our internal humor is.

Why is using bad words inherently a bad thing as long as no one is hurt? Why is it pathetic to find the absurdity funny?

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You're right, it is fucked up and was always fucked up, but in 2002 it was closer to the ignorance side of the 'ignorance <---> malice' scale because the awareness wasn't 1/10th of what it is now.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the better question is who leaked this?
Obviously it had to be someone with Funimation that gave it to the Pro-Vic people like Blackface Lawyer.

I await the apology which obviously won't be instant since these things take time. Hopefully during it we hear when these recordings happened. At most it was 2009 with Kai. As noted, 2009 is the same year that gave us The Hangover so... this was considered okay.

TravoltaWatchesYou

Alt account
Banned
Aug 24, 2019

It's fucked up and he should apologize. He just shouldn't be fired for something practically everyone was doing back in 2002. It literally was that common to hear that word back then.