• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I just read this on Norwegian economical outlet E24 here: https://aksjelive.e24.no/article/xRqJdB which further pointed to the Oslo stock exchange report: https://newsweb.oslobors.no/message/470627

Funcom has secured an exclusive contract with Legendary Entertainment to develop a minimum of 3 games set in the DUNE universe over the next six years.
They did a short presentation:

"Words from the CEO "2018 is our best year to date. A year marked by the full release of Conan Exiles, by the acquisition of 50% of the IP rights for Conan and other properties for games, by the investment from Swedbank Robur to fuel our publishing strategy and by the launch of our first published game under this strategy – Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden. It has been a hectic year, with more activities and projects than ever before. We are happy to see the support of partners, investors and shareholders for our strategy of becoming a key player in niches and game genres that are too small for the big publisher but too difficult to reach for small independent studios. We truly believe we are well positioned to achieve this, and our multiple ongoing projects on several fronts are a natural risk mitigation mechanism that still keeps the very strong upside these various niches represent. This is only the beginning of our journey, and we believe 2019 will be a year where exciting projects and opportunities will present themselves, the fruits of which we will see in 2020 and beyond. We can see a glimpse of that future already, with five new confirmed games in the pipeline and a few new games being considered. Several small internal activities are planned to boost revenue on existing games through DLCs, additional platforms/stores and partnerships. We also see it in our second acquisition in one year, the Lisbon-based studio ZPX. A great way to secure production capacity while keeping costs under control. We are happy to see that 4Q18 and the full year of 2018 ended with the successful release of Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden. A great game that was well received, contributed significantly to the 4Q18 financials and, most importantly, to our reputation as a publisher that works hard to give a game its best chance at succeeding.

Finally, we are very excited to announce an exclusive gaming partnership with Legendary Entertainment to develop a line of video games based on the works of Frank Herbert's DUNE. DUNE is one of the world's best-known science fiction universes and a personal favourite of mine. To work on DUNE games is a dream come true for many of us in Funcom. We will talk more about what we will do in this fantastic universe in the future. Funcom is stronger than ever. With an incredibly exciting pipeline of games, and by continuing to successfully execute on our strategy, it is my conviction that we will lift the company to new heights." Rui Casais, Chief Executive Officer "

"Highlights
- 2018 is the most profitable year in Funcom history
- Successful Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden launch. Established Funcom position as a reputable publisher of third party developed games
- Acquisition of 50.1% of Lisbon based ZPX. A game services and development provider to secure production capacity at competitive rates
- Promising pipeline with 5 confirmed new games in various stages of development:
- Conan Unconquered - 2Q19 release
- Rock Pocket, Funcom IP - Halloween 2019 release
- Funcom North Carolina, Heroic Signatures IP, multiplayer Co-op shooter
- Funcom Oslo, Conan single player -
- Funcom Oslo, Open world multiplayer (based on the DUNE intellectual property)

- Exclusive gaming partnership established with Legendary Entertainment for the creation of a minimum of 3 games based on the DUNE Intellectual Property over the next six years, on PC and Console"

dune-sand-worm.jpg

Personal note: I feel Funcom's 2001 MMO 'Anarchy Online' was the one of the best DUNE inspired games ever created.

images

Last edited:

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
I don't have particularly high hopes for a Dune developed game by Funcom, but it will be nice to get at least one proper Dune game.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Very cool. I enjoyed and sunk a lot of time into Conan Exiles on PS4 and Xbox. I wonder if their "Open World Multiplayer" title will be akin to that?

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Could have sworn this was attempted by a company years ago but maybe it was dream and I'm mis-remembering. That said this could be interesting. Anarchy Online, The Secret World, and even Age of Conan were all really fun with great writing. Some of the best in the genre I feel, especially The Secret World. That games's narrative and story I feel was far to good to be in a mmo at times. Seeing this studio tackle Dune will be really interesting to see. If these aren't mmos they can be a lot more focused so hopefully there shouldn't be any launch issues.

What type of games they will they make are key here I feel.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
This is the worst best news ever. One of my favorite series, one of my most hated devs. This will be a disaster.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Neat. To be honest, I haven't played a Funcom game since Age of Conan but I really loved that game. If they could channel a little bit of that into a Dune game, I'd be there day one. (edit: lol, people in this thread aren't too hot on Funcom, I guess their more recent games haven't been too great apparently)

That original Dune adventure / sim game is still one of my favorite PC games. I go back to it every couple of years. Too bad people only remember Dune 2.

Also, I don't know if this had been previously announced but this is news to me:
- Funcom Oslo, Conan single player -
Can't wait to see what it is.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Oh that's cool.
Funcom did great with the Anarchy Online story which is sort of in the same range.
Just too bad Ragnar has left the building.

As long as Gaute doesn't touch the games they usually end up great.
Anarchy Online is still one of my favourite games even if Gaute destroyed it a bit with Shadowlands.

Dune is also one of my favourite sci-fi series so hopefully this will turn out good. I just read the whole dune saga again a few months ago.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
It's Dune. But it's Funcom. And 3-5 games in 6 years seem like they just wanna milk it.

I would like an open-world singleplayer game and a real-time strategy game though.

Gala

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't sound good in any way. At least we get two good movies soon :/

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Conan Exiles is actually pretty excellent when servers are stable. Exiles & The Forest are the only survival games I'd consider to have compelling PvE/Narrative, I want to see what they can do with Dune.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
A Dune adventure game similar to Longest Journey, please.
Liked the original Dune from Cryo.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ehh... Funcom. Looking at their stuff and how it is rated, i'm not enthused about this at all. Not many devs i'd believe in being able to do a good game about Dune.

It's gonna be Conan Exile open world survival game in DUNE universe.
Gotta admit Dune would make pretty good basis for a survival game. In theory anyway.

This doesn't sound good in any way. At least we get two good movies soon :/
Two? Here's the thing, there's gonna be one movie, and only if it does well enough there's gonna be two. But what are the chances it does well enough? I don't rate them high though, despite Dune being popular scifi novel.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
The Westwood games kind of fork into their own alternate universe where they take a lot of liberties with the material. Any new Dune game likely wouldn't have much to do with that.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Well, if anyone can make a giant sand dong nobody's better than FUNCOM

Wilco

Nov 25, 2018
First Dune game mixing adventure with strategy by Cryo is the best.

Why some complaining about Funcom? They have a decent track record

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Funcom.. hmm Age of Conan Tortage was an amazing experience when it launched waaay back when... The Secret World was a super unique experience as well as a horror mmo...
Ill have to wait and see.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Funcom.. hmm Age of Conan Tortage was an amazing experience when it launched waaay back when... The Secret World was a super unique experience as well as a horror mmo...
Ill have to wait and see.
+ Anarchy Online. Yeah, they are capable of great things. It will never be AAA polished high quality, but it will have soul and a good story.

Mula

Banned
Jan 18, 2019
A Game based on Alejandro Jodorowsky`s ideas would be cool
whatching the Documentary was mind blowing