• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Some more fun facts:

- The Game Boy was actually a piece of technology, and therefore actually had no gender
- Not a single Xbox console has actually been a box shaped like an X, though a prototype was made
- The original Playstation was unique in that it wasn't a Sega Saturn or an N64, but in fact it's own unique system
- The video game streamer Ninja, probably brushed his teeth this morning
- The Sega mascot Sonic, doesn't actually look like a real hedgehog, and blue hedgehogs are not found in the wild

I'm going to write up some longer OPs so will be posting my threads on these facts shortly

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any Nintendo console that plays audio cds? I was going to check in the thread if anyone mentioned it but I figured I'd take after OP and just post the first thing that came to mind.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
More fun facts:

- The DS in Nintendo DS stands for Dual Screen/Developer System
- The Playstation Portable was named because it's Portable
- Playstation Vita was named as such as VITA MEANS LIFE!
- Metal Gear Solid 1 - 5 were directed by Hideo Kojima. Special Thanks to Hideo Kojima for this post. This message was brough to you by Hideo Kojima. (Directed by Hideo Kojima)
- Sega is the short-termed for Service Games
- Capcom is the short-termed for Capsule Computers

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

Some pretty clearly are, yeah.

Disagreeing is fine (even if it is such a trivial topic) but once folks start feeling the need to attack or try and personally discredit the OP via various means then yeah, they're clearly triggered and on the defensive for some strange reason.

Edit: LOL I can't believe I even replied. This is such a silly thing to debate. If you want to argue semantics and have a go at proving me wrong, go for it. I'll leave you to it.

Last edited:

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There's a reason why all of the N64 games had extremely low quality textures despite it's technical proficiency over the PS1 and that's because a N64 carts can only store so much of textures with its puny storage spaces. For comparison sakes, a regular CD of that era have at least 650MB of addressable storage available for devs to use.

Storage had some impact on texture diversity, but it was the absurdly small texture cache that was the reason here.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Disagreeing is fine (even if it is such a trivial topic) but once folks start feeling the need to attack or try and personally discredit the OP via various means then yeah, they're clearly triggered and on the defensive for some strange reason.
I mean I see what you're saying, and that's what I meant by thread backfire. But thread backfires just do happen, it's not personal. It's usually just because the thread is ridiculous. Usually because what the OP is saying is for some reason hilariously misguided, but in this case it's just a pointless thread. I suppose the personal element is that PT is getting a reputation for posting a lot of threads, and that adds another dimension. But this thread would have gone basically the same way whoever posted it.

Edit: looking at the post below me, I take it back.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Threadwhining

Edit: LOL I can't believe I even replied. This is such a silly thing to debate. If you want to argue semantics and have a go at proving me wrong, go for it. I'll leave you to it.
Nobody is defensive. Phantom Thief just makes thousands of low quality threads. Multiple per day. None of which are conducive to good discussion and discourse. Man has a serious problem and for some strange reason, mods allow it. It's really low-quality content. Moderate that properly and you have better chance at interesting discussion.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Lmao we're just taking the piss out of the OP because they make numerous threads every day even when they have nothing to say, and this thread is the ultimate example of that. There wouldn't be this reaction if it was just some random poster who rarely or never made threads.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you ever used a floppy? Tell MSX users that a cartridge and a floppy are the same thing.
It's a difference between instant loading and waiting several minutes to load.

Like I said. It serves the same purpose as a cartridge and you just admitted it too. So one is slower than the other? Still does the same thing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is defensive. Phantom Thief just makes thousands of low quality threads. Multiple per day. None of which are conducive to good discussion and discourse. Man has a serious problem and for some strange reason, mods allow it. It's really low-quality content. Moderate that properly and you have better chance at interesting discussion.
None conducive to good discussion and discourse? Is that so?

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
There are no moving parts in a cartridge.
Nonsense

The term cartridge referred to magnetic tape cartridges created as far back as 1959 and they all had moving parts. Floppys and Zips are considered Disk Cartridges. The only way you can get to this conclusion is be seriously ignoring decades of tech and the terminology that went with them.

Have you ever used a floppy? Tell MSX users that a cartridge and a floppy are the same thing.
It's a difference between instant loading and waiting several minutes to load.

That is like pointing out that Laserdisc and UHD BR have VASTLY different loading times for the same amount of data and then claiming Laserdisc was not an optical disc storage system because it is slower that UHD BR.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Just looking at the last 20 threads you made, I'd say 11/20 are conductive to a good discussion, so that's pretty good overall

That said, I'm sure others will disagree, and I've been known to make a stupid thread or two in my time

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said. It serves the same purpose as a cartridge and you just admitted it too. So one is slower than the other? Still does the same thing.
I mean, if you want to be like the confused old grandpa who calls all consoles "nintendos", I guess we can't stop you. But good luck loading a Famicom Disk System "cartridge" in the cartridge slot.

Nonsense

The term cartridge referred to magnetic tape cartridges created as far back as 1959 and they all had moving parts. Floppys and Zips are considered Disk Cartridges. The only way you can get to this conclusion is be seriously ignoring decades of tech and the terminology that went with them.
Linking to an unsourced Wikipedia page referencing 60s computer terminology isn't particularly useful. In the context of this discussion we were talking about the storage media used by early game consoles and home computers where it was pretty clear what each term meant. A cartridge was a ROM cartridge, an enclosed circuit board that connected directly to the system's bus through a cartridge slot and could contain additional chips to expand the capabilities of the hardware. A floppy disk, or diskette as they were called in my neck of the woods, was a much simpler flexible re-writable magnetic disk in plastic enclosure read by a floppy drive which had to physically rotate the media.

As mentioned before, there were several systems that supported both, like the Commodore 64, Famicom, and MSX. There was absolutely no ambiguity around the terms on these systems. If you bought a game for one of them on a floppy, or a tape/cartridge game asked you to insert a disk to save your game, playing semantics about the meaning of the word "cartridge" wouldn't get you anywhere. You'd need to have a floppy drive hooked up, or you'd be getting nowhere.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I don't consider PS Vita or Switch cards as cartridges, so no, Sony also never had a cartridge based system.

But that's okay because disc installs are the future. The capacity and cost efficiency of optical discs combined with fast access and no disc noise is the best physical media solution we have ever had.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway

No, a floppy is a magnetic RW disc in a plastic sheath, a cart is read-only.
They served the purpose of the hard drive in the earlier pc days.
A: (floppy) for programs and B: (floppy) for data.
When hard drives arrived they became C:

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
About that.

microsoft-xbox-one-adaptive-controller-reveal.jpg.optimal.jpg

4490126471_272ed689fa.jpg.8a67d5cf5bfb6b32be0249ec3948ead8.jpg

Both are Microsoft controllers so........
Don't forget Sidewinder.

200px-Microsoft_SideWinder_Precision_2_Joystick.jpg

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
No, a floppy is a magnetic RW disc in a plastic sheath, a cart is read-only.
They served the purpose of the hard drive in the earlier pc days.
A: (floppy) for programs and B: (floppy) for data.
When hard drives arrived they became C:
Cartrdiges allowed for writing saves. DS and some 3DS/Vita cards also did the same. So no, not just ROM.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Cartrdiges allowed for writing saves. DS and some 3DS/Vita cards also did the same. So no, not just ROM.
Some cartridges had tiny bits of battery powered volatile memory, sure, but the actual program data was stored in ROM chips. Completely different from disks which were entirely re-writable. And modern handhelds use flash memory cards, I wouldn't really consider them cartridges the way the OP does.

Last edited:

tsab

Nov 3, 2017
fun fact: Apple never had a cartridge based console too. Apple Pippin had a CD-Rom drive

Aug 9, 2018
Some day we will move past cartridges, disks, and equally primitive digital downloads.

As a collective human consciousness, we will be able to simultaneously experience not only every game, but every possible game. All by simply closing our eyes and allowing ourselves to truly be.

thirdeye.jpg

You're talking about the birth of the Borg, right? =p

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
It's because none of their consoles could have been cartridge...it's not like they've released anything hand-held or in an era when cartridges were used in home consoles.

In 10 years we will be saying the same thing about a.n.other company who has never release a physical game.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I for one am with the nitpickers. The definition of a technology and who makes it are so semantic. Always better to have an exhaustive conclusion, rather than to think it is a simple black & white 'this is a cartridge' 'MS didn't make that'. It is rarely so trivial.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Can we really call what the DS, 3DS, Vita, and now Switch uses cartridges though? I always think of a cartridge as a physical computer board with some kind of housing. What the others use are specifically Flash media devices, basically modified SD cards.

EDIT: I see I'm not the first to make this argument. I'll see myself out.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
IMHO If a thread is low quality just ignore it and it will die in the frontpage of the site.... The dogpiling here almost scares me to ever create a thread /s

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Was the MSX Japan only? Was it ever released outside that region?

Even if that fits the definition of a console, it's obvious the OP is taking about mainstream gaming platforms with wide release.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Can we really call what the DS, 3DS, Vita, and now Switch uses cartridges though? I always think of a cartridge as a physical computer board with some kind of housing. What the others use are specifically Flash media devices, basically modified SD cards.

EDIT: I see I'm not the first to make this argument. I'll see myself out.
Are cartridges even a defined format? I don't think so. They're not VHS, DVD, or anything like that.

I've always just seen them as silicon and plastic. Do they need actual ROM chips in them?

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Was the MSX Japan only? Was it ever released outside that region?

Even if that fits the definition of a console, it's obvious the OP is taking about mainstream gaming platforms with wide release.
Japan was its biggest market, but it also met with varying degrees of success in Europe, South America and other parts of Asia.

Are cartridges even a defined format? I don't think so. They're not VHS, DVD, or anything like that.

I've always just seen them as silicon and plastic. Do they need actual ROM chips in them?
I mean, there wasn't a universal cartridge format, no. But a Commodore 64 cartridge was a Commodore 64 cartridge. A NES cartridge was a NES cartridge. They had to be designed to fit in the system's cartridge slot, and be able to interact with the bus and OS.

Last edited:

therealmob21

Banned
Nov 28, 2018

Finally someone said it. I guess the Mods got defensive and had to give you a warning about it, but shitting out incredibly vague and useless threads like this on the daily just to get the notoriety is annoying and clutters the site with garbage.

Maybe focus on moderating the quality of the threads on the site vs the people who are posting in them

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Some cartridges had tiny bits of battery powered volatile memory, sure, but the actual program data was stored in ROM chips. Completely different from disks which were entirely re-writable. And modern handhelds use flash memory cards, I wouldn't really consider them cartridges the way the OP does.
The Vita might use Flash, but Nintendo handhelds still store the actual game data on Mask ROM similar to how older cartridges did, with Flash only being included for save data. They just don't have the relative bus speed to be similarly fast to RAM anymore.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
The true fun here is debating whether the MSX counts as a Microsoft platform.

I'm going to count it considering the MS in MSX literally stands for Microsoft.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally someone said it. I guess the Mods got defensive and had to give you a warning about it, but shitting out incredibly vague and useless threads like this on the daily just to get the notoriety is annoying and clutters the site with garbage.

Maybe focus on moderating the quality of the threads on the site vs the people who are posting in them
Mods don't moderate the threads based on their perception of quality, they moderate them according to the rules.

I've made threads in the past I thought would prompt discussion, and did not. Should I be banned? Hell no. There's no need to get personal against PT.

On subject: I think there are too many clauses to make this interesting. It's only true if we include closed system consoles, major console manufacturers, and a certain 'flexible' definition of what is and isn't a cartridge.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For textures the N64 bottleneck was the 4kb texture cache which was further reduced to 2kb with mipmapping.

The better N64 developers improved the texture quality in their game by better managing the texture cache and by swapping on the fly small texture pieces heavily clamped.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64_programming_characteristics#Texture_cache

The Nintendo 64 was arguably Nintendo's most gimped console. If the system had a larger texture cache and was CD based, then titles like Conker's Bad Fur Day would be the norm.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you can consider Vita's game cartridges , they don't have any "electronic" on them, they're basically a flash memory card.
I think last one was GBA?
Not even DS count for me.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States

Phantom Thief I think some people just want you to ease up a little bit on the creation of topics. If you were to take a screenshot of the first few pages of gaming side threads and then the first few pages of off topic threads you'd see that the ratio of your threads to others making threads is probably 30:70 or 20:80. 20-30 percent is a lot for just one poster regardless of your thread quality. I do think you make good threads from time to time but it can be a bit overwhelming.

We understand you love this site just as much as some of the rest of us but there's no need to create tons of topics on a slow day. That's why it's a slow day, to let the site breathe a little and possibly focus on past topics. Anyway, this is just my recommendation as a fellow poster as I'm no mod, because if I were one then I'd put a thread limit rule for users per day or per week to make sure that we were consistent with quality. You could ignore me and others completely or take the good and bad of what we're saying and grow from it so that we all come out of this conversation with a positive result, because overall I think you're a positive person and helpful forum member.