• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
screenrant.com

Nioh 2 Is The Last Game In The Series, Says Developer

Team Ninja director confirms Nioh series is ending

In an interview with renowned Japanese publication Famitsu, and as reported by Twinfinite, Yasuda stated simply that production on the Nioh series has ended, but gives no explicit reason why.
He also offered little else about what Team Ninja will be up to now that Nioh is officially over, but promises multiple large-scale projects to begin production in earnest in 2021.
Koei Tecmo president Kou Shibusawa, president of Koei Tecmo, of which Team Ninja is a subdivision, has also stated his intentions to continue developing games based on Japanese history and culture, so while Nioh may be coming to an end, it'll likely have a lineup of spiritual successors.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
He didn't quite say it was the last game in the series, just that they were stopping for now. Didn't rule out returning to Nioh in the future.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The games have sold well enough so I assume the creatives want to try something new. I kind of want to see them move away from the Souls formula because they never could quite get it as great as the combat itself is.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I remember that they stated not too long ago that they want to make a new IP for PS5 like Nioh was a new IP for PS4 (despite it supposed to have been a PS3 game lol)

EDIT:
found it
www.eurogamer.pt

Equipa de NiOh quer criar uma nova série na PS5

Recentemente, tivemos a oportunidade de jogar um nível inédito de NiOh 2 e conversar com Yosuke Hayashi, o líder da Tea…

" I believe that a new console will bring new opportunities and we would like to create a new game, a new intellectual property for PlayStation 5 ," commented Hayashi.

"We created the NiOh series for PS4 and we would like to do the same for PS5."

Last edited:
Clarification: the IP may be taking a break

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
He didn't explicitly say Nioh has ended, as in there won't be any additional Nioh titles in the future. He basically said they're taking a break from Nioh to work on new projects.

Edit: The quote:

"At Team Ninja, the seven years-long development of Nioh series will reach a resting point, and there are several projects that will begin full-scale development in 2021. I plan to change my development style to match my changing lifestyle and concentrate on new titles. As for me personally, I'll try not to gain any more weight."

Yasuda also told 4Gamer that several new titles from Team Ninja would be announced in 2021.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I'm only okay with this if they make a new Ninja Gaiden (but more like 1 and 2 than 3 and RE).

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhh shame, I feel like I could play these games forever...

I would love a new entry every 3 or 4 years...

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ITS TIME
latest

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
They have been working on Nioh nonstop for the better part of a decade, I would want to change gears too.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nioh showed they still have their action game chops. New Ninja Gaiden would be cool.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Good, I loved both of them but NiOh2 already felt like an expansion more than it's own game.
Very much looking forward to whatever comes next.
Ninja Gaiden Next-gen plz.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Goodbye, my baby...

I look forward to their new IP. I don't think they should return to Ninja Gaiden either. I feel like it's time Team Ninja go the route of FromSoftware and continuously explore new ideas with new IPs. Can always be spiritual successors to a previous idea, but not being stuck doing a sequel to a single IP for an extensive period of time.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Make a new IP with Nioh combat but a straight on action game, none of the Souls/loot stuff.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I haven't even started Nioh 2 (waiting for PS5 version) but I'm already ok with this.

Nioh has what I consider the finest melee combat yet designed, but I don't want the team stuck making more Nioh forever. I'd love to see their skill put elsewhere.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what if those devs end up working on DOA booby volleyball games or whatever

still kind of interesting how the same developer made the DOA stuff and a game as mature and mechanically complex as nioh 2

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
RIP Nioh. You were too good for this world.

I do hope to see spiritual successors, at least. That mix of intense combat and RPG mechanics was very satisfying. It's actually really funny going from Nioh 2 to Godfall in such a short span of time (I was playing the final Nioh 2 DLC, then got Godfall for Christmas and just jumped into it) and seeing Godfall pretending they invented the coop looter slasher etc. when not only did Nioh perfect the formula first, in fact Godfall is like total amateur hour compared to it.

what if those devs end up working on DOA booby volleyball games or whatever

still kind of interesting how the same developer made the DOA stuff and a game as mature and mechanically complex as nioh 2
With shockingly tasteful female representation, too.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I am fine with this.

They can always make a third once people start missing it. Do something else for now.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Probably for the best. I adore Nioh 2, it's my GOTY, but I couldn't see myself do it all again even in two, three years time. It's not necessary either because I think Nioh 2 is one of those games you can play off and on for years.

I kind of want to see them move away from the Souls formula because they never could quite get it as great as the combat itself is.
With how similar Nioh 2 ended being to the first one, I think it's safe to assume they didn't get it because they weren't going for it in the first place. The Souls influences are obviously there—the shrines, the shortcuts, the 'collect your XP upon death or lose them forever'—but in terms of combat, gear/loot, storytelling and setting Nioh is a completely different beast.

In that sense I dislike calling it a Soulslike because it creates a promise the franchise has no intention of delivering on in the first place.

Krigaren

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I hope their new IP for 2021 is something nioh-like just like FROM continues with souls-like

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
It's definitely off putting to see people spew nonsense and demand new IP but then keep begging devs to go back to classics.

On topic, hope it's a new IP and takes advantage of the good from Nioh.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
RIP Nioh. You were too good for this world.

I do hope to see spiritual successors, at least. That mix of intense combat and RPG mechanics was very satisfying. It's actually really funny going from Nioh 2 to Godfall in such a short span of time (I was playing the final Nioh 2 DLC, then got Godfall for Christmas and just jumped into it) and seeing Godfall pretending they invented the coop looter slasher etc. when not only did Nioh perfect the formula first, in fact Godfall is like total amateur hour compared to it.

With shockingly tasteful female representation, too.
might wanna amend the thread title while you're in here based on the other posts clarifiyng. the series hasn't "ended", they're just assembly lining sequels and are taking a break.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Unless they make a spiritual successor, this fucking sucks. Like what the fuck.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Now all they need to do is officially announce a new Ninja Gaiden like we know they want to.