• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
www.dallasnews.com

Texas restaurants Fuddruckers and Luby’s announce plans to liquidate

Luby's and Fuddruckers were founded in San Antonio and expanded into Dallas-Fort Worth.

On Tuesday, the board of directors for the parent company of Luby's and Fuddruckers approved a plan to liquidate both restaurants. Luby's Inc. could distribute approximately $92 million to $123 million to its stockholders, then dissolve the company.

The liquidation plan could also result in a sale, according to a company statement.

Luby's operates eight restaurants in Dallas-Fort Worth as of Sept. 8, according to the website. Some Luby's had already closed, like the cafeteria on Mockingbird Lane near Abrams Road in East Dallas and the restaurant on Highway 67 in Duncanville.

This sucks. They shut down the Fuddruckers in Denver years ago, but I liked to grab one whenever I was traveling to a city where they still operated. They had the best restaurant burgers.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017

Now if I ever win a million dollars, I can't say "tight, I'm going to Fuddruckers". Truly a terrible world we live in.

Deleted member 4874

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had a Fuddruckers in my area since I was like 12, but they had the best burger before 5 Guys and all the other specialty burger places that followed

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
RIP Fuddruckers. The one near me went out business like 5+ years ago but I used to go there a lot as a kid. The buns were so good.

Zookfoodle

Oct 25, 2017
The writing has been on the wall for years, sadly. Fudds have been closing down left and right across the nation, even before the pandemic. It doesn't help, though. Happy I got to eat one last time back in March

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
fuddruckered in the assets
E779-D0-A1-4-DDE-48-C6-A4-BE-2-FDA1-BD5-C453.png

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
No Idiocracy reference yet?

Is this the turning point where we find out our future is worse than the movie?

Edit: wow, by seconds

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
bdd1c58d69db61d7e07278eb99ced738.jpg

Luby's is not the best cafeteria style food but my mom loves the liver and onions. I grew up on LuAnn platters. :/

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
It always felt like Luby's was hanging on by a thread. I'm kinda surprised it lasted this long. Though I gotta say, I used to love their cornbread dressing for Thanksgiving, but it's gone to crap the last few years.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Fuddruckers is amazing. Their fries and cheese sauce were outstandingly good, and the burgers and the topping bar were delicious. So sad. Have the best memories of going to the beach and hitting Fudd's for burgers and video games.

Jaychrome91

Nov 4, 2018
RIP fuddruckers. One of my childhood places I used to eat as a kid. Loved their burgers and cheese fries. you will be missed.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't had Fuddruckers in over a decade, but it was a staple growing up. Actually didn't know that it was still around.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't the first time the parent company of Fuddruckers has gone bankrupt. Luby's only bought the brand in 2010. So franchisees may be able to survive, based on who picks up the assets.

I always enjoyed the Fuddruckers in Saskatoon (Canada), because it was one of the only places in the region you can get your burger cooked to your desired doneness (I guess due to food safety regulations?), due to having their own licensed butcher shop on site grinding the meat. And my wife is obsessed with their own branded yellow mustard. It's honestly better than any I've had, and we don't have any way to get it other than at that location. So we stock up and buy a few bottles when we visit.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
so the future in idocracy is better than our future

RIP BUTTFUCKERS

Oct 26, 2017
Is this just Texas or is Fudds being liquidated nationwide?

Fudds is one of my all-time favorite places. The ones here in San Diego closed about a year ago. I had a lot of great times eating there with my kids after soccer games. Nothing last forever but I was hoping Fudds could hang on for another decade. It's an end of an Era. Especially in southern California it isn't easy finding a big mouth burger that either isn't absurdly expensive or dripping with grease.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Fuddruckers was one of my favorites as a kid. Haven't seen one in years. The one in Miami had cow carcasses hanging behind glass as you walked in, waiting to be butchered. Doesn't get any fresher than that!

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Not enough Luby's love in here, it was my grandfather's favorite restaurant. Luanne platter with the fried fish was the shit.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Dangit. There's a Fuddruckers connected to the iMax movie theater up the road from me (...connected to a furniture store, because that's how we roll in MA I guess). In the before times I'd go there occasionally to grab a burger and watch the latest Marvel flick. It was a pretty good way to de-stress.

Here's hoping they make it through in some form.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Fuddruckers seems to be poorly managed. They had the time to modernize and reinvent themselves. Their B&M footprint was too big and they probably could have used their brand power to open smaller stores. Or the burger sector is just too saturated.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was a chubby kid, used to go to fuddruckers and made something next to the burger we called a pickle salad, ''twas a ton a pickles, chopped tomotes and onions smothered in liquid cheese.

I'm surprised Im still alive now.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Fuddruckers seems to be poorly managed. They had the time to modernize and reinvent themselves. Their B&M footprint was too big and they probably could have used their brand power to open smaller stores. Or the burger sector is just too saturated.
Probably all fair. There are a million options for burgers out there. And yeah their places take up a massive footprint.

Luby's.... never been. The name is off putting to me so I've never made it a point to go there.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Man... Grew up on both of those; absolutely gutted if the franchisees aren't able to soldier on. Fudds was where I had my first wild boar and ostrich burgers. Luby's is one of those places that it being good or not really depended on the kitchen staff. When you had a good one, it was the bomb. But if it wasn't up to par, oh boy... I was always a sucker for the fried fish and baked almondine.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Fuddruckers is actually good so this really sucks.

Im holding out hope though because idiocracy tells me it exists in the future.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I was lucky enough to go there once for my birthday. Had a burger literally the size of my head.

Needless to say I did not need to eat for a couple of days.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
There was a Fudds right next to my AMC theater and I enjoyed hitting them up after a movie.

Now it closed a couple months before the pandemic and AMC is still closed with no opening scheduled.

I really hate this year.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Fuddruckers is ace. But this doesn't actually sound like a death knell. Will probably be sold to another conglomerate.

Luby's on the other hand...I'm shocked they still exist.