• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 week): creating a troll thread
I spend a fair amount of time browsing Era and other forums and as we have approached the next gen launches I'd say the amount of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) being spread seems to have risen steadily. This goes for both next gen machines, their respective companies and respective strategies. I'm a PlayStation gamer so I spend more time on that side of the forum, but I've seen a fair amount regarding the Xbox platform and I'm sure it's just as rampant on that side.

So with FUD being spread by console warriors the question is how do we fight it? I suppose the best way is with knowledge and facts. I figured a central FUD-Fighting thread might be a good idea. Maybe it could be a location where FUD regarding both platforms could be discussed and dispelled to set the record straight for all instead of being buried in a dozen different threads only to be constantly resurrected.

I'm hoping this is a good idea and not something that will fall apart into console warring. Also hoping the mods won't have any issues with it. So... if you've noticed FUD and wish to set the record straight then please share with everyone else.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We are in a global pandemic where everything is uncertain, things are constantly being delayed as well. The best way you can combat it is ignore it. See a thread that is full of FUD? Ignore certain posters or the thread.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What would be the point of the thread? If people want to spread it it's going to be everywhere. So, do you see some FUD in whatever thread and then reply to it in the FUD one, hoping people see it there? Or are people only expected to only post FUD there?

Maybe I'm missing what you meant but it doesn't seem to address the issue at all.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
What would be the point of the thread? If people want to spread it it's going to be everywhere. So, do you see some FUD in whatever thread and then reply to it in the FUD one, hoping people see it there? Or are people only expected to only post FUD there?

Maybe I'm missing what you meant but it doesn't seem to address the issue at all.

I'd say there's been plenty of FUD points that have persisted over the last year or so. They keep coming up over and over and over, and time and again I see people apparently fall for it. The hope was that this could be a place where those points could be cataloged and be refuted.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
Why does it matter lmao? There's far more important things in the world than worrying about someone trying to smear a plastic box. Let Sony/MS worry about it.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
oh, my sweet summer child...
Lmao.

You can't fight it. Just ...

tenor.gif

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say there's been plenty of FUD points that have persisted over the last year or so. They keep coming up over and over and over, and time and again I see people apparently fall for it. The hope was that this could be a place where those points could be cataloged and be refuted.

But that's still requiring people to go to that one thread to find if it's been refuted or not. Most aren't going tot care enough to do so or would rather believe the bad news about "the other side".

This just solves nothing. But that's okay because here's the thing: it's not a problem you can solve. We see evidence everyday that people are perfectly willing to remain ignorant of facts or believe the outright lies if if makes their tribe look better or another tribe worse.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
But that's still requiring people to go to that one thread to find if it's been refuted or not. Most aren't going tot care enough to do so or would rather believe the bad news about "the other side".

This just solves nothing. But that's okay because here's the thing: it's not a problem you can solve. We see evidence everyday that people are perfectly willing to remain ignorant of facts or believe the outright lies if if makes their tribe look better or another tribe worse.

But I wanted a team of FUD-Fighters :(

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It's actually worth pushing back on, because it's unfair to communities when a big platform is sending out these negative talking points in a wave to drown out sensible comments. It can frustrate people to the point where they just go away.

Take the epic thing for example. That was relentless. And it was coming right from the top. I'd argue it did real lasting damage here. 'Steam is a monopoly and we're fucked if epic can't get their foot in.'

They don't always stick. Notice the ones that can't get traction and go away quickly. 'Next gen games are anticonsumer', for instance.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
You looking for a ResetEra version of Snopes.com?

You'd need a pretty reputable organization with a few checkpoints before you could avoid it becoming the very thing you're trying to stop. Can you imagine the number of posts calling out actual facts as FUD? Or posting dissertations to combat a straw man argument that nobody has actually made? Of course you can, as we've already seen both of these things happen.

Sadly, console launches are like this and social media just amplifies it all. I'm not expecting any kind of consensus until these systems are in millions of homes and we've seen a lot of software on both of them. Maybe around this time next year? Or a little later? In the meantime? Yeah, it's going to be a mess. Use report and hope for the best.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
You won't....too many clowns on both sides invested in the WARZ~!!!

Just make your own opinions and decisions and do what will make you happy. 😀

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I just do my best to ignore it. It's not healthy. Matt says both consoles are really good and very l close in terms of performance, so that's all I need to know.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
serious response i think banning/warning outright console warring is about all you can do

console warz is basically a "feature" of any gaming community at this point and as much as i hate it it'd feel like the twilight zone if everybody joined hands around the campfire and sang kumbaya

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
If someone is console warring just report them and we'll ban them. That goes for trolling as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.