• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
technically not a level...

...but my buddy and I just dropped a Civ VI campaign we were playing together, something like 8 or 10 hours in, because his capitol was being hit by an endless drought.

It's not that the drought was endless, but that, for some reason, the area his capitol was on, was the only area on the entire map that the game deemed suitable for drought... so every single drought that happened during this campaign happened in his capitol. Back to back droughts. When one drought would end, the next would immediately begin. At first it was funny, then it was kind of annoying, and eventually he decided, well, just fuck this.

This kind of isolated issue sounds more like a bug to be honest.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This flamethrower / trench stuff was the worst on Veteran.

maxresdefault.jpg

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
When Call of Duty had infinite enemies until you pushed forward. Me being a masochist played cod2 and 4 on veteran and let me tell you how much of a grind it was. cod 4 had some absolutely obscene levels and it was basically all luck. I remember the pain like on the ferris wheel level where you basically had to use this one specific hiding spot and wait for the chopper to pick you up and then not die when you ran out to it. God.

I tried WaW and fucked off after a certain point because it was just too much.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
662px-Ffxv-052.jpg

FFXV Chapter 13. The launch version.

It was so excruciatingly painful and dull to play through, with extreme corridor design on top, and a hilariously bad "plot twist", that I genuinely wondered if it was a deliberate nod to FF13 for a while.

I feel like it was a reference to the FNC mythology hinting that a character among them was a L'cie.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Either the Fade or Deep Road in Dragon Age Origins.

Sewer level in both Xenogears and Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
When Call of Duty had infinite enemies until you pushed forward. Me being a masochist played cod2 and 4 on veteran and let me tell you how much of a grind it was. cod 4 had some absolutely obscene levels and it was basically all luck. I remember the pain like on the ferris wheel level where you basically had to use this one specific hiding spot and wait for the chopper to pick you up and then not die when you ran out to it. God.

I tried WaW and fucked off after a certain point because it was just too much.

Haha, I still remember that fucking farm level in cod4 on veteran, where you had to push out into a field and then all the way back down, fighting infinite spawning grenade spammers the entire time.

That was fucking rough.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
Honestly it kind of isn't lol

I didn't use tri-attacks much at all

but optimal strategy calls for tri-attacks yeah

y'know, it might just be me, but i would consider something you yourself refer to as the game's 'optimal strategy' to be exactly the same thing as something the game's combat system is specifically designed around. so, what are you saying? that you chose not to fully use the system as designed, & managed to complete the game, anyway? well, that's great, & i hope you enjoyed doing so...

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Played this on the hardest difficulty...

maxresdefault.jpg

took 300+ attempts to finally get this fucking guy down. Quit the game multiple times, almost uninstalled it when I found out that there was no achievement for beating the main story on the hardest difficulty. Fucking input reading Brainiac bullshit that can 2HKO you with his map attacks.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
LoneWastefulHedgehog-size_restricted.gif

The two Street Sharks in Bloodborne were anything but jawesome.

Though, fortunately, after like 20 failed attempts I admit I asked for help in the OT and some pointed to the item that helps. Funny enough, I came back to it way later in a different playthrough and had no issues at all.
I remember it taking me probably a dozen attempts before I could kill them both. Not sure if it was worth it since I stuck with the Chikage and Battle Axe but it was fun to finally beat em.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...

Though, fortunately, after like 20 failed attempts I admit I asked for help in the OT and some pointed to the item that helps. Funny enough, I came back to it way later in a different playthrough and had no issues at all.
Mother. Fucking. SharkBros.

I too had to resort to asking for suggestions because honestly fuck these fucks to fucking death.

iu
I recently went through this DLC. Screw these things! I'd rather fight bosses than these, and they have what feels like a boss worth of HP. My skills aren't fantastic by any means, but when I go through areas in souls games I always keep trying and eventually make a very deliberate point to 100% clear the zones, for exploration and loot collecting if nothing else. That is, except when I found the well with these two in it. Nope nope nope. Why did I not previously think of the charm dagger for them? Thanks, thread!

Actually that whole level is really quite rude. The random statues blasting your with magic from afar, the lightning magic snipers, and the frenzy-causing super brain mobs that are near the end for no apparent reason other than to screw with the player. Dammit I hate those things. Disgusting. And of course the troll job that you can use a freaking shield to prevent most of the magic damage.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
man, those pitfall scorpions are iconic in how fuckin mean they were

What's funny is that both this and the similarly-designed level 90 are original to the NES version; even the quarter-guzzling arcade version didn't include something this cruel.

oh my god haha, never knew that - yeah, that makes shit even worse. goddammit taito

I've beaten No More Heroes like half a dozen times and have no idea which part you're referring to. Could be an issue with the remake, the PS3 version is pretty bad.

i went for the platinum and weird shit on hard would trip you up - that one legged gal who fights you in the minefield was whatever on that & the wii version, on bitter it's ridiculous

Been playing through Dark Souls for the first time, just reached Ornstein and Smough. I think I'm done with this bullshit.

woooo that's a popular dropping point, yeah...i wanna say i had a helper the first time through, it's been forever
you wanna know some real bullshit? dude with the spear can totally hit you through columns somehow. if you get his weapon & try that shit later, no dice

Rubber ducky boss in Luigi's Mansion 3. The controls are just too difficult

this is a good pick. that fight was needlessly frustrating because of the shit controls that stage had.

To add my own as well

yeah this shit sucked cause it's trippy exposition and normally im down for that, but the small dark line you're given to walk on is such shit

Pretty crazy that I'm the only one to mention Babel tower in Xenogears so far in this thread xD

nahhh it's been forever but when i debate a replay with the new translation & all, that's one of the parts i remember and go "nah"
fuck that whole area, i lost so much sleep trying to get through it

V23

Oct 27, 2017
Mr. Tommasi and Mold-1 in Control still make me angry

Mr. Tommasi took me 8-10 tries and was way harder than anything in the entire game. Mold-1 had four big rocks around the outside of the room. I took cover behind a big rock, blocking Mold's damage completely, stepped out and used launch on it, rinse and repeat. Took me 10 seconds on the first try.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Mega%2BMan%2BX6%2B%252870%2529.png

This lovely stage in Megaman X6
Nowadays I can do it fine and even have fun with it, but this was a painful block for me as a kid without internet.

maxresdefault.jpg

Then you have this lovely jump in the next stage if you use Shadow Armor.

I still don't hate X6 though for some reason 😂

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
Killzone 2 - Elite Mode - Visari Palace Courtyard
Was that the start of the final level? I remember checkpoints being really generous as you got closer to the door, just brute forced that part. Infinite enemies sucked though. The arena fight before the final boss was worse for me.

Oct 27, 2017
megam-man-list-spot01.png

Yeah, I know it can be cheesed. Kid me had no way of knowing it could be cheesed.

main-qimg-77eb319f5e9cbe5abd85acac3073ed93

Just seeing a screenshot of this is enough to give me ptsd.

How 11 year old me managed to beat it without cheats or any help is a mystery to me, 40 year old me sure as hell can't.

ae8ef316c1753fbbefe1af9341936257.jpg

Once upon a time, games absolutely did not give a fuck about your feelings.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
Sonic Mania, the last Zone. I was having fun and then Titanic Monarch happened and I've still never beaten the game. Ugh.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Resident evil 7...the ship section. Good god, what a way to bring a great game to a screeching halt

It's such a rough fakeout, because the "lab" level is basically the worst part of every Resident Evil game, and after the mini-lab in the mines I really thought there wasn't going to be one in RE7. But, nope! We have to remind you that the last leg of our game is where we train the level design interns, apparently.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017

As a kid, the snowboarding sections in Mega Man 8 were just awful. You do not have much time to react to what platform you need to land on after you make the jumps and a single error will cost you a life. JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE is still burned into my head after all these years.

Birdito

Oct 30, 2017
I recently started the Crash trilogy, got to Hog Wild, failed it somehow a few times, and that's all I needed. Deleted the whole thing, maybe I'll give it another try one day. Too much to play.

Also apply that to the entirety of Fall Guys.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
1-capture_29012011_101306.png

If you've played Final Fantasy Tactics: you know why.

If you haven't: imagine a multi-staged location that you can't escape from, that starts off easy, but then pits you quickly in a 1vs1 battle to the death where if you don't have the foresight to grind your ass off with your main hero: you will die. Then it caps off with the rooftop battle which tasks you to protect an incredibly weak AI controlled character that charges headlong into certain death so you'll have to had the foresight to grind your ass off to make sure several of your characters had access to job classes with high speed stats.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Hallowbrook Hotel level in Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines.

This was the point where I just flat out used cheats to just get through a level, cause man was this one so damn long and really shows how bad the combat is.

The last chunk of the game is honestly rough, but at least the other levels at the end offer more stealth options.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand

This gif might have unsold me on Bloodborne lol
I beat Dark Souls back in the day and really enjoyed it.
I was hyped for DS2, and then when it came out I played it
and felt like I was just playing the same game again, so I dropped it.
Never touched DS3. I did grab Bloodborne for cheap a while ago
because a lot of people who didn't like DS much did like Bloodborne.

This gif just looks...annoying lol. I think I'm too old for games I have to bash my head against to finish :\

Oct 25, 2017
1-capture_29012011_101306.png

If you've played Final Fantasy Tactics: you know why.

If you haven't: imagine a multi-staged location that you can't escape from, that starts off easy, but then pits you quickly in a 1vs1 battle to the death where if you don't have the foresight to grind your ass off with your main hero: you will die. Then it caps off with the rooftop battle which tasks you to protect an incredibly weak AI controlled character that charges headlong into certain death so you'll have to had the foresight to grind your ass off to make sure several of your characters had access to job classes with high speed stats.

Oof, first playthrough was suuuuper rough. Now that I know what I'm doing it's basically a one turn fight but yeeeeah it sucked.

For me recently it's been this piece of shit

maxresdefault.jpg

I can *crush* the Hollow Knight easily and I know her patterns but you die *so* fast and one mistake cascades into another then another and poof. Ugh.