• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this peeves me in such a bad way. It doesn't matter how good your song when i'm forced to listen to it for over 40+ hours straight (i'm looking at you FFXIII). And no, having different boss battle themes does nothing to help this.

(good for the first like 10 hours and then quickly loses its appeal)

I just don't understand how a director goes through and thinks that it's ok. It's certainly not a budget thing because it happens a lot with big budget jrpgs. Although it's not really a jrpg, my god it was a breath of fresh air playing undertale and having different songs play for different areas. Please, just tailor your battle song to theme of the area i'm in. Or at least change it after a major event occurs.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. The Persona series is a nightmare for this. Not only do they only have one battle theme, but they have LYRICS in it. Kill me, please.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The battle theme of Chrono Cross is literally the worst song of the whole ost.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't actually played it but I'm okay with it if the one battle theme is good enough to justify it being the only one in the game excluding boss themes

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
been so spoiled by persona q2 recently especially with the free battle music DLC that was active for a while. Something like 4 original songs and every battle theme from the past 4 games, + three boss music varients on the reg

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Pretty sure Octopath has only one theme and while I got sick of a lot of parts of that game the battle theme never wore out its welcome

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy 2 is one where I getting annoyed by it at least.

SRPG but nice to be bless with a ton of battle themes in most Fire Emblem games.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
There are some cases where the battle theme is so good, it doesn't matter (like the Trails of Cold Steel games).

Last edited:

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I didn't mind it in Persona 5 but that's only because I went from loving it to hating and back to loving it since that game is so damn long.

shout out to FFXV for having like a billion

I love how the game has dual themes (places, chocobos, etc), it's an amazing feature that I wish all big open world games had now.

Walking

Running

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Final Fantasy VII is a top 5 game for me but I honestly don't like its battle theme one bit.

Boss theme is the GOAT though.

Oct 27, 2017
Idk, mystic quest has a sick battle theme like another person posted here. I do agree about the early Final Fantasies though, especially the NES ones. Although FF3 has a killer battle theme.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like battle theme playing in every single regular encounter tbh, especially if the music has lyrics or is very bombastic. It gets tiring even if there's some variations. I really like FFXII for that reason for instance. Just the ambient sound for normal encounters. Only music for unique encounters.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I usually agree. I think Persona 5 is my one exception. I never got tired of Last Surprise.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
babybabybabybabybabybabybabybabybabybabybabybabybaby

Might have been nice if they had swapped it out as the game went on, like they did with the overworld theme.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Ha, I actually like Final Fantasy XIII's battle theme quite a bit. Also, Xenosaga: Episode 1's battle theme is what I thought of immediately. I can't believe that game uses the same music for both regular and boss battles; thankfully, the track is solid, and I really like the final boss theme, but sheesh.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I've never understood why many JRPGs have enormous soundtracks with 70+ songs but only a single standard battle theme. Western-made RPG music doesn't always hit the same heights, but this is one thing they usually get right.

On the other hand, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne/Lucifer's Call was great for variety, there were several battle themes that played in different areas. And Grandia swapped its battle theme for a better one half way through.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Never had a problem with this. I actually hate it when it's a song I like and they change it in the game after a while. And blinded by light is by far one of the best battle themes ever.

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017
I really liked how they did that in Xenoblade 2. And for FFXIII, even though I still love the battle theme, it's sequels did a better job at mixing it up throughout the games. Sometimes though I wish I was able to turn off battle music in general and have the area theme play instead.

Oct 27, 2017
It had multiple variations of this theme which helped break up the monotony. FFXIII could have benefited from playing with it's main theme more.

FFXIII reuses it's main theme quite a bit throughout not only FFXIII but the entire FFXIII trilogy. Isn't Sunleth Waterscape a more upbeat version of the main theme? Blinded by Light is also one of the best battle themes ever so I can't get on board with trashing FF13–the music was phenomenal.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
You know a Persona battle theme fucked you up when your brain can't even process any of the lyrics outside the hook anymore.