• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 8, 2018
I'm living with it till PS5. Here's hoping Sony's get it together next gen when it comes to noise.

they can't ignore it with all the backlash threads across forums. I heard the one X is silent in comparison so yeah They have no choice.

(This Is NOT a System wars comment! I'm a PS4 owner!)

Last edited:

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I have the quiet PS4Pro, and while it's much better than my previous base PS4, it still gets noisy with certain 60fps games. Right now I'm playing Hitman 2 and I've had to lock the framerate as the fans get very loud when it's unlocked.

It's something I've accepted at this point, hoping the PS5 doesn't have the same issue.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I replaced the thermal paste on my PS4 and it did nothing. So be warned that might be a waste of time.

Seriously, I quite like the original PS3 and Xbox one for being large machines and hope the PS5 focuses on being large and cool rather than looks.

OP
OP
PintSizedSlasher

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
It's not like every game make the fans scream.

Mine sure does. That's the problem, literally every game makes it fly off into space.

Wish someone told me this 48 hours ago.
Opened my friends sons Pro on Saturday. Fucking socket ripped off the motherboard. I now have to buy him another PS4 pro.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Oof. That's messed up.

haven't most people who reported that re-doing the thermal paste initially fixed the issue reported back saying that it noise came back months later?

I'll gladly take a couple of months with a more silent console 😅

I'm living with it till PS5. Here's hoping Sony's get it together next gen when it comes to noise.

This could seriously be a dealbreaker for me and I've owned every Sony console since day one.

plake

Nov 3, 2017
Honestly, it's quite easy if you know your way around technology. I replaced the thermal paste, pads and cleaned out the fans and it makes all the difference. Sure, it's not always dead quiet, but it's never loud. Make sure to use that ifixit guide to open it up. Sony also has an official video on YouTube on how to disassemble the Pro. I also recommend that you photograph each and every step you do while opening it up so you can retrace your steps later - if you forgot which screw goes where. Good luck!

sHitman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
I did it a month ago and i think it was worth it, definitly an improvement.

I used the guide posted here, it was hosted on imgur. The guy changed his fan, put on thermal pads and some liquid metal stuff. I already had the "quiet" fan so I just did the liquid metal and pad stuff.

Never did stuff like this before but if you work accurate and slow nothing will go wrong.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I did it a month ago and i think it was worth it, definitly an improvement.

I used the guide posted here, it was hosted on imgur. The guy changed his fan, put on thermal pads and some liquid metal stuff. I already had the "quiet" fan so I just did the liquid metal and pad stuff.

Never did stuff like this before but if you work accurate and slow nothing will go wrong.

I imagine it's still loud though?

My xbox one x is whisper quiet, and for some reason the hardware doesn't seem to attract dust like my Pro does.

baberunisei

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only way I found to fix it was to use noise -cancelling headphones. Works like a charm and I never noticed the problem again

Piotrek

Oct 28, 2017
Warsaw, PL
haven't most people who reported that re-doing the thermal paste initially fixed the issue reported back saying that it noise came back months later?

Yeah mine was dead silent at first and it got a bit louder after 3 or 4 months but it's still miles better than what it was. Earlier it was so loud you couldn't hold a conversation in the same room. Now it's more like "oh right, the console's running", so it's still a tremendous improvement.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah mine was dead silent at first and it got a bit louder after 3 or 4 months but it's still miles better than what it was. Earlier it was so loud you couldn't hold a conversation in the same room. Now it's more like "oh right, the console's running", so it's still a tremendous improvement.

cool. i was actualy planning on doing mine anyways as my blu-ray drive has trouble reading discs without me shaking the console lol

i think the laser might be mis-aligned or something

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
I did it. I replaced the thermal paste and thermal pads. My PS4 Pro is really quiet now. But the BD driver doesn't work properly anymore. So... be careful.

Check the bluray ribbon cable for damage. Its the big one that goes from the drive to the motherboard, that has a weird shape.

I messed mine up, it was literally just a small cut that happened while disconnecting everything.

I bought a new one from amazon for £10 and its working again fine.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I replaced the thermal paste on my launch Pro and it did jack all for the noise. By the end when I sold it on CL, it it was by far the loudest console I've ever owned, even my wife told me to get rid of it because of the noise it was producing from the other side of the house where she would usually be. I got an RDR2 Pro bundle to replace it, and it's like night and day. I can hear it, but I don't notice it.

Good luck.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks to hear stories about folks doing this and it making little to no difference. Probably just going to wait until PS5, or if there are any good deals on a 7200-series, I might grab one and sell my current Pro. It's so obnoxiously loud.

As an aside, I recently replaced my Xbox One X hard drive with an SSD after the update partition got corrupted (just a few months out of warranty too LOL). That was pretty sketchy, even with the right tools, but in the end it was fun and educational, making me appreciate the engineering behind that console.

Feb 8, 2018
Are you guys running your consoles in a sauna or something? My launch day Pro is fairly quiet.

1. No one is able to avoid extreme weather

2.The main issue isn't related to temperatures of the enviroment you're in. Heavily depends upon what you play. I highly doubt boost mode on/off or playing Digital or with a Disc makes a fan noise difference! I've been playing AAA titles and had a hard time noticing any louder noise (basically a silent playtrough) and then others are the opposite, but only in certain situations and with silent moments.

Unmei

Oct 27, 2017
Tip - If you feel uncomfortable opening expensive easy to break electronics don't do it leave it to a Professional.

linnus

Oct 25, 2017
Check the bluray ribbon cable for damage. Its the big one that goes from the drive to the motherboard, that has a weird shape.

I messed mine up, it was literally just a small cut that happened while disconnecting everything.

I bought a new one from amazon for £10 and its working again fine.

I will! Thanks. <3

I searched a lot for some solution. The PS4 always gives me a 'disc error' when I try to insert a disc.

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a lazy Susan type disc I set my pro on, so before I play I spin it around so all the vents are facing into the room. Lots more airflow. It's about 50 percent quieter when it's facing backwards

Nemesis-T Type

Alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
It's simple

Just get a really long hdmi cable like 20 meters and put the PS4 in another room behind a closed door.

Pennywise

Oct 25, 2017
I eliminated the noise nearly entirely.
Went from unbearable to be better than new (because it was actually louder at when I bought it).

I always thought I would have had one of the Delta fans due the noise, but I actually had a Nidec fan inside.
Anyway, I replaced the fan with a new Nidec one. Got Arctic MX-4 thermal paste and those grizzly pads.

I didn't have "alot" of dust in my console and was quite suprised. The heat sink had most of the dust and was pretty easy to clean.

https://imgur.com/a/420nWq8 I used this guide. As I said before, I used thermal paste instead of liquid metal since I've got no experience with it and didn't want to kill my console.
There's a link to ebay for the fan, it's the same seller I got it from. Didn't even take that long to get delievered.

If you're cautious about opening your console, there are alot of great video guides out there.

Honestly the best decision I made to replace the fan, thermal paste and get the grizzly pads.

Last edited:

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thermal window for the chip and heatsink is simply way too narrow. If you happen to have a hot chip there's nothing you can do. It will run hot and loud, because that's the best the heatsink can do.

This is my Pro after new thermal paste:

No difference to the original condition.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
Did mine just a couple days ago too. Completely worth it. I'm work on normal machines in this manner as my day job so I wasn't worried about breaking anything.

Best of luck on yours!

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Find the fan from the newest revision of the PRO or find the right resistor and solder it inline to reduce RPM. Sony put in a lower speed fan in the newest revision. It's quieter but a few degrees hotter.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Don't be like me whose original PS4 will no longer boot for reasons I can't determine after I tried to clean it and reapply the thermal paste
Did you check to see that the PSU is connecting properly to the board again? I accidentally bent the PSU connector and it wasn't slotting in right. It either wouldn't boot or it'd boot for 1 second and shut off. I straightened out the connectors again and it was good.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Check what fan you have. If you have a Delta fan, you're probably going to want to try to get a Nidec fan replacement if you can.

I replaced my Delta with a Nidec and put on some Arctic MX-4. It's not quiet, but it's much more tolerable now. The Nidec is far less whiney than the Delta at high speeds.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Clear nail polish, Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut and Gelid GP-Extreme thermal pads.

That's what I used on my 7216b and the difference is night and day, the console doesn't look like it's gonna fly off the cabinet when I go to Octavius Industries in Spider-Man anymore.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you check to see that the PSU is connecting properly to the board again? I accidentally bent the PSU connector and it wasn't slotting in right. It either wouldn't boot or it'd boot for 1 second and shut off. I straightened out the connectors again and it was good.

I think it probably is a PSU issue (the power light glows blue for a second then shuts off), but unfortunately one of the screws for the PSU got stripped to hell and I can't get it back out to check everything.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
I think it probably is a PSU issue (the power light glows blue for a second then shuts off), but unfortunately one of the screws for the PSU got stripped to hell and I can't get it back out to check everything.

I'm pretty sure this means that you didnt get the PSU sloted back into the ground connector properly.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Find the fan from the newest revision of the PRO or find the right resistor and solder it inline to reduce RPM. Sony put in a lower speed fan in the newest revision. It's quieter but a few degrees hotter.

That's an interesting idea. Wonder how conservative Sony is with their temps. Could be risky though.

EXACT same thing happened to be. One of the PSU screws had a little metal protrusion in the middle so I couldn't use the Torx screwdriver. I used a pair of plyers to undo the screw and to screw it back in.

Take a look at this picture. On the bottom left of the board there are two heavy metal prongs. You want to make sure they're both straight so that the PSU slots into it perfectly. If you want to be sure, take the board and the PSU both out, and make sure you can fit them together properly before reassembling everything.

4N6gx2rfRwkLEJLU.huge

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
I always chime in these threads to note there are quiet original Pro's (I own one). Only time I even hear the fan is during a loading screen with no music. And even then it's quiet.

^what he said
Got mine launch day and it's pretty quiet not Xbox quiet but pretty quiet. I have my Pro and my X vertical in stands they really stay so much cooler then Laying down.
oWY9tTJ.jpg

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
New models dont get noisy like the old ones but have a really annoying rattle. I forgot what its called.

If you got the red dead 2 bundle and haven't noticed, it means your hearing is gone lol because it's a high pitch noise. I'm told those older gamers dont notice.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Before you do anything more drastic, try just seating it vertically on an official stand (so that you don't block the vents that will now be at the bottom) and permanently remove the top lid. My Pro does about two fan steps less that way under the same load, than it does with the lid on and sitting horizontally. You don't really have to use the official stand, you can make one yourself, as long as it doesn't block the vents.

Deleted member 36086

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So yeah, I'm pretty much done with the insane jet engine sounds coming from my PS4Pro. It's gotten so bad that even with headphones on it's still unbearably loud.

I've tried everything to fix it, except removing and replacing the thermal paste, something I'm very anxious about.
But fuck it, if I ruin it I'm even willing to buy the new version of the pro that's supposedly a lot more quiet, but for now I'm going to try and fix it.

Besides the thermal paste itself (I'm going to use Thermal Grizzly paste), what else am I going to need?
What's the best way to remove the old thermal paste?

Please share your thoughts/experiences/tips/helpful videos/words of encouragement and my eternal gratitude will be yours

Repaste with liquid metal, problem solved. I never hear the fan anymore in any game. AFAIK, the newer version of the pro is supposed to be quieter because it has a different fan, but my launch pro came with the quieter fan and it was still loud.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
New models dont get noisy like the old ones but have a really annoying rattle. I forgot what its called.

If you got the red dead 2 bundle and haven't noticed, it means your hearing is gone lol because it's a high pitch noise. I'm told those older gamers dont notice.

Capacitor whine?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Repaste with liquid metal, problem solved. I never hear the fan anymore in any game. AFAIK, the newer version of the pro is supposed to be quieter because it has a different fan, but my launch pro came with the quieter fan and it was still loud.

I'd only use liquid metal if you know what you're doing. a bit of that falling outside of the chip without adequate insulation and you're screwed.

Deleted member 36086

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I'd only use liquid metal if you know what you're doing. a bit of that falling outside of the chip without adequate insulation and you're screwed.

Thats like a minor issue. Just apply nail polish or non-conductive tape around the socket. Plus you only need a tiny blob of LM. My pro has been in vertical orientation for almost a year after repasting with LM and quiet as the day I repasted.

Pennywise

Oct 25, 2017
Is it really true that the Nidec fan is quieter? Here's the video that shows that they both have about the same noise level:
Usually the Nidec fan is the quiet one. Doesn't mean that the fan won't go wild, especially with the shitty job on the thermal paste and the memory pads that are just abysmal in terms of quality.

Had a noisy Nidec fan myself, but I switched it to a new one this year. Vid is up above and you can hear the difference between two Nidec fans :P