• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
I got my thermal paste and pads. As I was trying to open my Pro I noticed I need a specific screwdriver called the Torx T8. And out of all the screwdrivers in my house not a single one is a T8. Great, now I have to go find one of those :(

I did it. And the result is far better than I expected. My Pro went from jet engine to dead silent. I am blown away.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure where else to ask this question. I have a PS4 Pro launch model and an Xbox One X launch model. I have been playing on the PS4 Pro more the last few weeks and my UI runs very slow. It takes a while to recognize movements and it even lags a lot when opening UI apps like friends, notifications, and settings. It will lag and hiccup quite a bit when just navigating the UI.

I recently went on my One X to download Outer Worlds and play some MW and the UI was moving buttery smooth. Everything worked perfectly and immediately like it should. I always heard, however, that the Xbox UI was notoriously slow compared to the PS4 UI but my Pro has been so damn laggy.

Is this something everyone is experiencing or is my HDD dying in my PS4 Pro?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Not sure where else to ask this question. I have a PS4 Pro launch model and an Xbox One X launch model. I have been playing on the PS4 Pro more the last few weeks and my UI runs very slow. It takes a while to recognize movements and it even lags a lot when opening UI apps like friends, notifications, and settings. It will lag and hiccup quite a bit when just navigating the UI.

I recently went on my One X to download Outer Worlds and play some MW and the UI was moving buttery smooth. Everything worked perfectly and immediately like it should. I always heard, however, that the Xbox UI was notoriously slow compared to the PS4 UI but my Pro has been so damn laggy.

Is this something everyone is experiencing or is my HDD dying in my PS4 Pro?

Try booting into safe mode. Then choose Rebuild Database.

Hopefully that fixes it. I believe this is done automatically when there's a firmware update, so you might already have done it recently and it won't make any difference.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Try booting into safe mode. Then choose Rebuild Database.

Hopefully that fixes it. I believe this is done automatically when there's a firmware update, so you might already have done it recently and it won't make any difference.
I did this last week and it still runs slow as heck. When I'm in a game and hold the PS button it takes about five seconds for it to pop up.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Right, so I was hoping to last for the last year of the current gen and to not open my PS4. I was okay with the noise even tho sometimes it was launching in the space.
Problem came with the Modern Warfare. That thing just sent my PS4 as a rocket right away, specially just in MP menus. There was a patch recently and yesterday I tried to launch the game only to end up straight up crashing after 40 minutes in menus due to overheat. When I decided to try Single Player, I had a prompt that PS4 is overheating. Add to that that whenever I tried to launch CoD Store just to see what's there, my PS4 crashed all the times straigt away.

So yeah, I decided to open it up and blow through the thing. To my surprise, thing was almost clean. For almost 3 years of use you'd expect some stuff inside, but it was like there's nothing to clean. I saw some dust from the heatsink side that you can't really see, but that was it. My PS4 is in office and we have some kind of airblow machine and I decided to aim that thing to the heatsink and oh boy, some stuff flew away. At that point I was pretty suprised that there were chunks of dust after seeing it clean on the inside.

After putting it together I straight up went to the Call of Duty MP menus. Yeah, that thing is still loud but it's nowhere near to previous state. It's not launching anything to space, it's not crashing after minutes in menus. Ultimate test was the store that was crashing my Pro all the time. Not a single problem with that thing.

So yeah, if you have the screwdriver and like 20 minutes of your time - just do it. It's not rocket science, it's fast and it has results.

desu

Oct 27, 2017
My launch PS4 Pro is like a jet engine, after the video in the first post I really need to apply this fix. The results are quite amazing.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I did this the other week, wasn't too difficult in the end and the results seem very good so far.

desu

Oct 27, 2017
So I just did this with the very first revision of the Pro. I had to use another disassembly video than the one from the last page.

On my console, the power supply connector on the mainboard as well as the power supply itself was so glued in, I wasn't able to pull them out without damaging the console. I tried for nearly 20 minutes at some points I already thought I might have broken the console.

In the end, I had to apply the paste with the power supply still connected, which was rather annoying and cumbersome.

I have now tested the console, I would say it has gotten slightly better, far from what is in the first post. I guess the launch units are just pure shit :s.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
I just did this with a first revision ps4pro as well! Applied liquid metal to the APU and changed memory and VRM thermal pads to better ones. I anticipated having to clean the inside as well but it turned out there was basically no dust buildup inside. Nice!

Difference is like night and day, similar to the OPs results. My ps4pro sounded like a jet engine during take off while playing Monster Hunter World in performance mode. Now, after modding, it's whisper quiet at best and like a gentle breeze at worst.

It was kind of harder than expected honestly. One of the screws holding down the upper MB shield stripped pretty much instantly (probably a dud, all the other screws I had no issues removing). Had to bend up the shield a bit and loosen the screw from the other side with pliers which wasn't fun but worked out in the end. Besides that little mishap everything went smoothly but took a bit longer than expected, a bit over 3 hours in total I think: Disassembling the console itself, fixing that stripped screw situation, cutting thermal pads to size and positioning them, cleaning off the old thermal compound, isolating the components surrounding the APU with this, applying liquid metal to the APU and cooler plate and finally assembling everything back together.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

alt account
Banned
Oct 21, 2019
I want to do this before Friday when I pick up death stranding

haven't played ps4 pro in months due to obnoxious noise

what's the best/recommended thermal paste and thermal pads to buy to do this project?

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Mine didn't even have much dust in it but as soon as I cleaned it out it ran way quieter. It's just a bad case design