• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
How did you clean the old paste off? How much paste did you re-apply?

(if there's a post that explains this, can someone link me?)

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Sorry to bump this thread, but does anyone know if all new Pros are being shipped with Nidec fans? Or are they still a mix of Nidec and Delta?

My Pro (launch) died tonight and I was curious if I should expect a Nidec or if it's still a coin toss like it was last year.

EDIT: Google fails me, so I guess all I can hope for is a 7200 model and that it has a Nidec and not Delta.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, just tried doing this.

FAILED!

I got to the step where I have to disconnect the PSU from the motherboard. For the fucking LIFE OF ME, I could not get the fucking thing out. I accidently started stripping the insulation.

I have no idea how you people did it. I looked at a ton of guides and was pulling on the right thing.

It just would not come out. Had to put everything back together and gave up.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
One of these days I'm gonna have to grow the pair to crack open my Wii U and give it a clean.

I don't think I'll go through the process or replacing the thermal paste but definitely would like to give it a good dusting.

I also should probably replace the thermal paste on my old eMac, but that's an even more terrifying proposition.

Baro08

Feb 26, 2018

FAILED!

I got to the step where I have to disconnect the PSU from the motherboard. For the fucking LIFE OF ME, I could not get the fucking thing out. I accidently started stripping the insulation.

I have no idea how you people did it. I looked at a ton of guides and was pulling on the right thing.

Did you try removing it from the motherboard or from the PSU? When I removed mine, I did it from the motherboard but it wasn't that hard. Some users said that from the PSU is safer.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
I did my thermal paste and pads last week. Pro has been silent since.

I'm doing my dads next week but also replacing the fan as the sound his fan makes is fucking nuts.

Oct 25, 2017
Did you try removing it from the motherboard or from the PSU? When I removed mine, I did it from the motherboard but it wasn't that hard. Some users said that from the PSU is safer.

From the motherboard. It was so fucking tight in there I legit could not believe it. I tried with pliers, but there is so little to grab onto that it kept slipping and clipping the black wires.

I took a quick stab at the PSU part, but that didn't seem much better.

I started getting nervous so I just put everything back together.

Byron Hinson

Nov 14, 2017
UK
Which package do you have to get in the UK to ensure you get a quiet model. I need to get a new one and the RDR2 pack isn't around anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
Which package do you have to get in the UK to ensure you get a quiet model. I need to get a new one and the RDR2 pack isn't around anymore.
You want the CUH-7216B. That's the SKU that was included in the Red Dead bundle.

FAILED!

Old post I know but I had the exact same issue (feel free to read my rant a few pages back). I was able to (awkwardly) change the thermal paste with it still attached.

It's quiet now so it was ultimately worth the aggravation.

Last edited:

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
People who replaced their thermal paste: are your PS4s still running quietly? I'm building up the courage to fix mine but if it only lasts a couple of months I won't bother.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
I ordered a thermal paste and pads. It is time to open up this thing. I can't take this noise for another year. Last night I turned off my console simply because the noise gave me a headache :(

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
People who replaced their thermal paste: are your PS4s still running quietly? I'm building up the courage to fix mine but if it only lasts a couple of months I won't bother.

Mine still is just as quiet as at the beginning. I must say I haven't intensely played any Sony exclusives (which made the most noise), but I'm very satisfied. I also did the pads and I used liquid metal.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Am going to give this a go this weekend, moving house soon and it is going to be in the living room instead of my bedroom so want it as quiet as possible. Just going with the thermal pads and paste for now, not sure what fan I have but the delivery is going to take too long!

Baro08

Feb 26, 2018
I just finished Wolfenstein II last week, a game that was imposible to play before and now it was really quiet. I changed the paste and pads in february.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The Last of Us Remastered and both MGSV games used to make my launch PS4 sound as if it was about to either melt or take off, but it never overheated.

I disassembled it last year, cleaned it with a brush and compressed air. The noise lessebed a little but was still very loud. A month ago, feeling brave, I disassembled it again and changed the termal paste for a generic silver-based one. Tried playing the usual suspects, and my PS4 got even louder than before. It overheated three times in different games. I disassembled it again and tightened every screw, thinking maybe I left something loose and there wasn't enough pressure on the processor. No improvement.

I decided the thermal paste might be the problem, bought a tube of Arctic MX-4 and changed the thermal paste once again. Tried playing the games that were making the PS4 overheat before. Absolute silence. It was so fucking quiet I thought I forgot to plug the cooler back on the main board, but no, it was dead silent thanks to that beautiful thermal paste. I should've done it the week Ground Zeroes was released.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I replaced my thermal paste about 2 months ago. It used to run so loud on the blackout lobby screen, fifa 19 negotiating screen, god of war when you pulled up the map. I was a bit worried I'd end up fucking up somewhere, permanently breaking a wire or something but I managed to do it and now its super quiet. I'd reccomend anyone who is semi competent to give it a go.

LoneWolfHunter

Banned for abusing Giftbot
Banned
Aug 27, 2019
I tried this on mine, even tried some Grizzly Kryonaut but it didn't work :/

Maybe I applied it wrong, I don't think so but who knows, but I don't really feel like tearing it up apart again :/

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does this work for the launch base PS4? It was getting mighty loud playing through RE2 this past week. It seems most people here are dealing with the PS4 Pro.

Baro08

Feb 26, 2018
Does this work for the launch base PS4? It was getting mighty loud playing through RE2 this past week. It seems most people here are dealing with the PS4 Pro.
It works just the same. You need to use a different tutorial to open it and I also recommend to change the thermal pads as well.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
I changed my paste last week. Was quiet for all about 10 mins when the menu of Days Gone put it back to hell. Considering changing the pads, but I'm not confident I'd be able to take out the power supply cable again, that was a miracle.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
That's awesome that it worked, but watching a few videos of people disassembling the console and the amount of steps/parts invovled made me feel real queezy inside.

I reckon I'll just stick with good old jet engine electric heater setup...I mean it's getting colder right now.

Anyone know if Sony offer a replacement service for this fault?

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
That's awesome that it worked, but watching a few videos of people disassembling the console and the amount of steps/parts invovled made me feel real queezy inside.

I reckon I'll just stick with good old jet engine electric heater setup...I mean it's getting colder right now.

Anyone know if Sony offer a replacement service for this fault?
You'd probably be better off looking locally than sending it off to Sony. The shop in my area charges $40 for cleaning the heatsink and replacing the thermal paste and pads. Which I guess is sort of close to how much you would spend if you also didn't have the right tools.

It seems like a lot of steps, but it is pretty easy to do. Just don't rush through it and you should be fine. There's a bunch of videos that you can rewatch to help with the disassembling process.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The Last of Us Remastered and both MGSV games used to make my launch PS4 sound as if it was about to either melt or take off, but it never overheated.

I disassembled it last year, cleaned it with a brush and compressed air. The noise lessebed a little but was still very loud. A month ago, feeling brave, I disassembled it again and changed the termal paste for a generic silver-based one. Tried playing the usual suspects, and my PS4 got even louder than before. It overheated three times in different games. I disassembled it again and tightened every screw, thinking maybe I left something loose and there wasn't enough pressure on the processor. No improvement.

I decided the thermal paste might be the problem, bought a tube of Arctic MX-4 and changed the thermal paste once again. Tried playing the games that were making the PS4 overheat before. Absolute silence. It was so fucking quiet I thought I forgot to plug the cooler back on the main board, but no, it was dead silent thanks to that beautiful thermal paste. I should've done it the week Ground Zeroes was released.
I might do this on my base PS4 after I get a Pro, and will do it with the Pro once it starts taking off lol.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
Been doing this for a while and did my pro a few days back absolutely no problem whatsoever. However I did notice the PSU does take a little effort to lift out. More interestingly I changed the analogs on my DS4 and the newest one I have I didnt realise but they finally removed the case going over the L2 R2 buttons which were a pain if they came loose to reapply the spring its now a whole sturdy unit and the back simply removes directly off. Made it so much easier and love this design.

Effloresce

Oct 30, 2017

I posted a video earlier in the thread. It's definitely creeping back up to the original volume, especially on demanding games. I don't think it's as bad as it was at its peak before though.

Theman2k

Oct 28, 2017
OK Just finished replacing my thermal paste.
And HOLY SHIT is it quiet now!
God of war/Last of us nothing can make it pop a sound!
It is like having a new console. I have to say I build/Repair my own stuff and PC's so I had the correct tools and guts to do it, but it is not for everyone.
I almost broke the thin plastic hinge while removing the back plastic panel, good thing i was EXTRA careful.
I was worried that without changing the thermal pads it won't make enough impact on the sound, BUT boy was I wrong.
I used Arctic MX4 paste, but I really shined the shit out of the APU before applying the new paste. Took me around 10 isopropyl alcohol pads.
That shit paste they put in was real nasty stuff.
My model BTW was 7016 PS4Pro and for anyone who likes they video I used:

All in all, HUGE success here and I am VERY happy and hope it keeps on being quiet like this for a long time.
Good luck on your adventure :)

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I posted a video earlier in the thread. It's definitely creeping back up to the original volume, especially on demanding games. I don't think it's as bad as it was at its peak before though.

As an update, this is my experience as well. Dead silent for months. It's creeping back up, but still nowhere near as bad as it was.

MILKGOLOLBAD

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 5, 2019
Since I replaced the thermal pads and thermal paste a month ago I've noticed a slight increase in volume, but very slight. It could also be because my dog tried to eat my PS4 a while ago and DID eat RDR2 so I can't possibly retest with the worst offending game.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I wonder, for people noticing the noise is coming back, if cleaning out dust would return your PS4s to their silent state. Or does the thermal paste lose its efficacy over time?

Horns

Dec 7, 2018

Been playing The Last of Us Remastered this past week and was concerned by PS4 was going bad. It has gotten louder than normal with this game. Gonna try the thermal paste this weekend.

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, changing thermal paste from time to time it helps with noise and also helps your console to last longer.

It could also be because my dog tried to eat my PS4 a while ago and DID eat RDR2 so I can't possibly retest with the worst offending game.
lol

I wonder, for people noticing the noise is coming back, if cleaning out dust would return your PS4s to their silent state. Or does the thermal paste lose its efficacy over time?
In my experience is the thermal paste, because the pump out effect.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Probably going to do this today. My system's not stupid-loud as some others, but it is noticeable in games that push it like RDR2. Like to get it done before Death Stranding.. hehe.

Kingasta

Avenger
Jan 4, 2018
Does the quality of thermal paste matter? My PS4 Pro still sounds like a plane after changing the paste two times(Low quality TP)

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
You'd probably be better off looking locally than sending it off to Sony. The shop in my area charges $40 for cleaning the heatsink and replacing the thermal paste and pads. Which I guess is sort of close to how much you would spend if you also didn't have the right tools.

It seems like a lot of steps, but it is pretty easy to do. Just don't rush through it and you should be fine. There's a bunch of videos that you can rewatch to help with the disassembling process.
I get that it's probably not as difficult as I think it is, but just attention span and anxiety and such would not be a great combo for this Ha.

I might take a look around for something like that. Didn't even think to do that. Thanks.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
I got my thermal paste and pads. As I was trying to open my Pro I noticed I need a specific screwdriver called the Torx T8. And out of all the screwdrivers in my house not a single one is a T8. Great, now I have to go find one of those :(

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I changed the paste, pads and tha fan today. Funny enough I already had a Nidec fan installed but changed it anyway.

The system is dead silent now. During gameplay its not noticable at all. Even more quiet than my Xbox One X.

Only thing that bugs me... somehow the fan does not kick back into chill mode when setting the console to standby. Now I'm a bit worried that it breaks when I put it in sleep mode. :(

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
I only repasted, and I think I somehow made it louder, so I am replacing pads if they come in tomorrow, or the weekend.

I really do not want to buy more paste as I have Arctic Silver 5 lying around since the PS3 YLOD days, I might even have 2 tubes. Anyone with a success used AS5 by any chance?

RankFTW

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Whatever you do don't rip the 4 pin power connector off the motherboard so you have to buy a soldering iron from Amazon to fix it... 😑

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I only repasted, and I think I somehow made it louder, so I am replacing pads if they come in tomorrow, or the weekend.

I really do not want to buy more paste as I have Arctic Silver 5 lying around since the PS3 YLOD days, I might even have 2 tubes. Anyone with a success used AS5 by any chance?
I did mine with AS5 over the weekend. At first glance, it seemed quieter, but RDR2 still makes it kind of noisy, about the same as it was before I did it. I think RDR2 is a bad choice, though, it seems one of those games that's just constantly like "Yeah, fuck your PS4 Pro". I assume any of the other "usual suspects" would probably still kick up the noise.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
I did mine with AS5 over the weekend. At first glance, it seemed quieter, but RDR2 still makes it kind of noisy, about the same as it was before I did it. I think RDR2 is a bad choice, though, it seems one of those games that's just constantly like "Yeah, fuck your PS4 Pro". I assume any of the other "usual suspects" would probably still kick up the noise.
Yeah days gone map is kicking higher than I ever heard previously before repasting, so let's see if I am wasting my time again. And poor fingertips, that fucking top case was torture.