• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Effloresce

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks to this thread I finally decided to give it a go. Had my Pro since launch and the fan has been insane for about a year and at least. I've regularly vacuumed dust from around the shelf where it sits and the vents on the console. I've also cracked the lid off a few times and used compressed air on the fan - still never seems to have really helped...

Anyway, here's what I opened it up to... not great, not terrible:
PdJLifP.jpg

p5kqkx3.jpg

z2KK2uD.jpg

70Sy0ba.jpg

am1GyIv.jpg

THTlVQA.jpg

And here's a video of:
  • Pre-fix
  • Pre-fix after 10 minutes
  • Post-fix
  • Post-fix after 10 minutes

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
Holy shit that before clip is loud as hell. My base ps4 started to make a lot of noise as well. Since I placed it vertically though it doesn't overheat as often anymore and it seemed to have fixed the issue. Still need to buy a stand though.

Glad you fixed your ps4 pro. Man that noise is insane.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
I think reapplying the thermal paste is beyond my capabilities, but I'm tempted to open up my PS4 Pro to see what the dust situation is and if clearing it out will help. When it's running regular PS4 games it's quiet, but as soon as anything Pro-enhanced happens it turns into a damn Harrier Jump Jet attempting to achieve VTOL under my TV. I wouldn't mind so much if it was just a consistently loud fan noise, but it's the fact that it's a kind of whine that's constantly rising and falling in pitch, meaning you can't tune it out.

The depressing thing is that people continuing to buy the PS4 Pro in great numbers is sending the message to Sony that noone cares about loud fan noise, so they have no incentive to improve the situation next generation. Indeed, MS might follow suit and put less effort into the next Xbox's cooling solution (I love how my 1X is utterly silent 99% of the time, and the other 1% it's just barely audible).

Effloresce

Oct 30, 2017
Did you only remove the dust or did you also reapply the thermal paste/pads?

Reapplied the thermal paste too. Used ArctiClean to remove what was there and Arctic MX4 to replace it with:

S6iAT3X.jpg

I checked all sorts of guides about how best to apply the paste: dot, line, X, spread, etc. From what I can see it doesn't really matter as long as you're not using too little. The MX4 paste is non-conductive too so wasn't worried about a little bit going over the sides.

I just want this to last another year or so until the PS5 comes out.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Did mine yesterday. Was super easy.

Is quiet as a mouse now. Cleaned it off with a acetone nail polish remover and it did a cracking job. Grizzly thermal kryonaut replacement. Didn't bother with the pads. Days gone was horrendous before now I can't hear it over the speakers

delete

Jul 4, 2019
Reapplied the thermal paste too. Used ArctiClean to remove what was there and Arctic MX4 to replace it with:

S6iAT3X.jpg

I checked all sorts of guides about how best to apply the paste: dot, line, X, spread, etc. From what I can see it doesn't really matter as long as you're not using too little. The MX4 paste is non-conductive too so wasn't worried about a little bit going over the sides.

This looks like a lot of thermal paste in my experience of pc building and fixing. Have you noticed any difference now? But yeah like that video said you should be okay.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I think reapplying the thermal paste is beyond my capabilities, but I'm tempted to open up my PS4 Pro to see what the dust situation is and if clearing it out will help. When it's running regular PS4 games it's quiet, but as soon as anything Pro-enhanced happens it turns into a damn Harrier Jump Jet attempting to achieve VTOL under my TV. I wouldn't mind so much if it was just a consistently loud fan noise, but it's the fact that it's a kind of whine that's constantly rising and falling in pitch, meaning you can't tune it out.

The depressing thing is that people continuing to buy the PS4 Pro in great numbers is sending the message to Sony that noone cares about loud fan noise, so they have no incentive to improve the situation next generation. Indeed, MS might follow suit and put less effort into the next Xbox's cooling solution (I love how my 1X is utterly silent 99% of the time, and the other 1% it's just barely audible).

Unless you are physically unable to do this, why would it be beyond your capabilities? You literally just follow one of the many DIY video's. Just clean the chip with alcohol and apply the new paste. It's as easy as it sounds. I'm not a technical guy at all and I did it with liquid metal, which can absolutely destroy your motherboard. So if I can do it..

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
This looks like a lot of thermal paste in my experience of pc building and fixing. Have you noticed any difference now? But yeah like that video said you should be okay.

There's a reason you would want to apply thermal-paste evenly here instead of going for the PC-approach of just having a pea-sized drop. On a PC you actually don't apply the paste directly to the CPU silicon, the gray shroud where you put it on is actually a head-spreader and the actual CPU silicon is below that so just a little bit of paste is needed to make sure the heat-spreader connects fine with the heatsink.

On the PS4 the CPU has no such head-spreader so you are applying the paste and heatsink directy to the CPU silicon so you want to make sure every bit is covered to ensure a maximum of heat transfer.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
Do newer PS4 PROs still have this problem? I am trying to decide whether to upgrade or wait for PS5.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Do newer PS4 PROs still have this problem? I am trying to decide whether to upgrade or wait for PS5.

They should be more silent, but it's still a lottery, especially in the long term. I would just replace the paste and pads of your current model (unless you mean upgrading from base PS4 to Pro).

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
Yea fuck it, mine's getting loud playing Wolfenstein and I'm tired ot it. Grabbing that Grizzly thermal pad and gonna rip this thing apart this weekend. I already have some thermal paste lying around (CP9 Cryopaste and Arctic Silver 5). I did this to my launch PS4 and it helped for a while but eventually got loud again. I'm thinking I made the thermal pads too small. This time I'll cut them the same size and use the line method for the thermal paste.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
There's a reason you would want to apply thermal-paste evenly here instead of going for the PC-approach of just having a pea-sized drop. On a PC you actually don't apply the paste directly to the CPU silicon, the gray shroud where you put it on is actually a head-spreader and the actual CPU silicon is below that so just a little bit of paste is needed to make sure the heat-spreader connects fine with the heatsink.

On the PS4 the CPU has no such head-spreader so you are applying the paste and heatsink directy to the CPU silicon so you want to make sure every bit is covered to ensure a maximum of heat transfer.
Oh that makes sense.

Deleted member 57990

Banned
Jun 18, 2019
Since it's now at the point where I just don't enjoy using my PS4 Pro, the fan noise is so obtrusive, I tentatively decided to open it up and at least inspect the dust situation. I'm really nervous about this sort of thing, because I have a track record of being able to irreparably break electronic devices just by looking at them the wrong way.

Found a Youtube tutorial, wrenched the top cover of the console off and braced myself for all the dust... to be confronted by nothing. Absolutely dust-free, clean as a whistle. Which is particularly surprising since I bought it at launch.

Out of curiosity, I plugged in my console with the cover still off, and started up Uncharted Lost Legacy, which previously would have made the fans go berzerk as soon as the gameplay started - and, while it was an improvement at first, it still eventually started making that obnoxious whining noise.

I'm really astonished that the Sony suits and Mark Cerny, upon plugging in their first prototype PS4 Pro and hearing the noise it made thought "Yep, that's perfectly acceptable - commence mass production!"

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Thought I'd ask in here rather than make a new thread. For those who have replaced their fan with the Nidec fan, are the Nidec fans really that much better? Youngblood is making my Pro prepare for takeoff at random times, so it might be time for me to replace the fan.

Effloresce

Oct 30, 2017
Found a Youtube tutorial, wrenched the top cover of the console off and braced myself for all the dust... to be confronted by nothing. Absolutely dust-free, clean as a whistle. Which is particularly surprising since I bought it at launch.

The one I posted in this thread previously was fairly similar. It was only when I got right inside under the motherboard where I found the bulk of the dust and dirt, especially on the heatsink. There was even a tiny moth in there and I barely get any bugs where I am. It's been two weeks since I did it now and I'm super glad I did - it was just too distracting and annoying before, and I had a vague paranoia the console wasn't going to last much longer.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017

S6iAT3X.jpg

You can use too much also.

Edit: nevermind. Didn't realize there was no heat spreader.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
Replaced the paste and pads in mine. I think it's quieter? Still audible but not obnoxiously so. Will have to test more.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I'm just curious. I have the thermal grizzly paste and pads, so I'm gonna try that first, but I have a Delta fan. I'm wondering if the Nidec makes that much of a difference

There is one youtube video out there suggesting 1-2c, but 1 does not make a statistically significant number, and even the youtuber admitted the difference was so small it could be nothing. Now, it's possible to just have a dying fan (in which case Nidec would make a difference) but I have to admit that I have a Nidec and it was purely the clean + repaste + repad that made the difference for me.

for the nguyen

Enlightened
Oct 30, 2017
North Carolina
I agree the thermal repaste and repad will have a bigger impact than the type of fan. The size of the thermal pad that is used on the memory is a joke. No way in hell it is enough to keep those components cool.

Definitely do the repaste+repad first. If you're still not satisfied with the noise level, maybe switch out the fan.

woxxi

Oct 27, 2017
Hello dear handymen,

I'd also like to replace stock thermal paste on my PS4 FAT (CUH-1200) with Grizzly Conductonaut instead.
I'm aware that Conductonaut will melt aluminium so i was wondering if the heatsink is aluminium or steel on CUH-1200 ?

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Transistor reporting in.

Last night I was playing Wolfenstein: Youngblood and I seriously thought my Pro was getting ready to go into orbit.

Today: I replaced the thermal pads (good god the stock ones are awful) with Grizzly pads and replaced the thermal paste with Grizzly paste.

Results: I booted up Youngblood again and I actually had to get up and go over to my Pro to make sure the fan was still working. That's how quiet it was.

for the nguyen

Enlightened
Oct 30, 2017
North Carolina
Transistor reporting in.

Last night I was playing Wolfenstein: Youngblood and I seriously thought my Pro was getting ready to go into orbit.

Today: I replaced the thermal pads (good god the stock ones are awful) with Grizzly pads and replaced the thermal paste with Grizzly paste.

Results: I booted up Youngblood again and I actually had to get up and go over to my Pro to make sure the fan was still working. That's how quiet it was.

I did the same thing! I had to check the side vents to make sure the fan was working. Lol.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
Well No Man's Sky is proving the effort I went through was for naught I guess. Used Grizzly pads and Arctic MX4 paste. I followed the suggestion to spread the paste evenly since there is no heatsink on top of the APU. Cut the pads to match the size of the memory. Think I'm just gonna bite the bullet, trade it in and get it replaced with one of the newer models.

Deleted member 420

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I opened up my PS4 and it seems like all my screws are stripped. What should I do?

Sony probably won't do anything if I send it in, right?

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well No Man's Sky is proving the effort I went through was for naught I guess. Used Grizzly pads and Arctic MX4 paste. I followed the suggestion to spread the paste evenly since there is no heatsink on top of the APU. Cut the pads to match the size of the memory. Think I'm just gonna bite the bullet, trade it in and get it replaced with one of the newer models.

Let me know how much you get to trade it in for one of the newer models, I'm considering going this route.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
I hate my launch Pro so very much :( Genuinely affected my Sekiro playthrough. I'd honestly just retire it but there are major exclusives, right?
  • FFVII
  • Last of Us 2
  • P5 Royale
I must be missing a few, right? ugh, sooo loud.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
Let me know how much you get to trade it in for one of the newer models, I'm considering going this route.
Eh... most places I'm seeing will offer around $200 at most. Not awful but I think I'll hold out a little longer till the holiday deals start. Instead I'm going to get a nidec fan. Should've done that the first time.

Last edited:

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
So, I did my yearly deep cleaning on the console (it was actually 11 months after I changed the factory paste) changed the paste and put new thermal pads (both Gelid) and now the console is scarily silent.

I did the same thing! I had to check the side vents to make sure the fan was working. Lol.
I'm also did check to see if everything was OK with the cooler lol

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
Oh another thing, make sure to change the thermal paste yearly if you use your console (this also to Xbox too) a lot because of the thermal paste pump-out effect.

Here is a video of Der8auer (one of thermal grizzly owners) explaining the issue.

Even the paste that I used (GC-Extreme) which has viscosity higher than grizzly, it was already showing signs of pump-out effect with very little paste on the edges of the Die. It sucks that we don't have access to consoles temperatures on the OS.