• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pennywise

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, at $19 it would be a steal. The amazon option is going to be $50 USD + Shipping, so I'm not sure about taking that extra step yet.
That's the one I bought. Same seller and ships worldwide.
Maybe just take a look what fan you've got inside. If you got a Nidec one already, just go and change the paste and pads first. Maybe that's gonna be enough already.
You can still switch the fans out either way.

Hey guys! Can anybody bother with a list of stuff I need to shut my Pro up?

So far I'm only sure of the Nidec fan. Would like to know which brand of paste is better and which thermal pad I should order, etc.

Thanks!
www.ifixit.com

PlayStation 4 Pro Fan Replacement

This guide will show the steps necessary to remove the fan from the PlayStation 4 Pro. There are many steps necessary to complete this, as well as...
Here's everything listed to open the console. I think the majority of people got the necessary tools with the exception of the Torx T8.
The "iFixit Opening Tool" isn't necessary at all. Just the screwdrivers.

For the fan, there's either the ebay seller above or you can purchase the set that somebody listed on one of the last pages here. That set also includes thermal paste.
It might not even be totally necessary to switch out the fans. Open the console and see what fan you've got inside. The comparsion picture is on the last page. You can still switch out the fan later on, if the fan still goes nuts. We've got plenty of people here, who only changed the thermal paste+pads and are fine.

For the paste I can recommend Arctic MX-4. Others have used Grizzly paste or Arctic MX-2 that was included within the set mentioned above.
They should all be relatively fine and are a huge improvement over the shitty default factory paste.
There are also people that used liquid metal. That's something that involves a certain risk.
https://imgur.com/a/420nWq8 That's a guide that explains it properly and got the necessary links, in case you want to go that route.

For the pads I used these :
Got a package with two strips instead of one. No idea where you might get them cheaper in the US.

Guides are linked all over the topic.

Last edited:

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Maybe just take a look what fan you've got inside. If you got a Nidec one already, just go and change the paste and pads first. Maybe that's gonna be enough already.

Probably will. The fan on eBay is technically cheaper, but getting it in less than a month is another $38 USD :lol I'll give the Pro a look and see what I've got.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

www.ifixit.com

PlayStation 4 Pro Fan Replacement

This guide will show the steps necessary to remove the fan from the PlayStation 4 Pro. There are many steps necessary to complete this, as well as...
Here's everything listed to open the console. I think the majority of people got the necessary tools with the exception of the Torx T8.
The "iFixit Opening Tool" isn't necessary at all. Just the screwdrivers.

For the fan, there's either the ebay seller above or you can purchase the set that somebody listed on one of the last pages here. That set also includes thermal paste.
It might not even be totally necessary to switch out the fans. Open the console and see what fan you've got inside. The comparsion picture is on the last page. You can still switch out the fan later on, if the fan still goes nuts. We've got plenty of people here, who only changed the thermal paste+pads and are fine.

For the paste I can recommend Arctic MX-4. Others have used Grizzly paste or Arctic MX-2 that was included within the set mentioned above.
They should all be relatively fine and are a huge improvement over the shitty default factory paste.
There are also people that used liquid metal. That's something that involves a certain risk.
https://imgur.com/a/420nWq8 That's a guide that explains it properly and got the necessary links, in case you want to go that route.

For the pads I used these :
Got a package with two strips instead of one. No idea where you might get them cheaper in the US.

Guides are linked all over the topic.

Wow Penny, thanks a lot.

Jun 18, 2018
Despite being technically literate, I have the hand/eye coordination sklls of a sloth glued to an active jackhammer and don't dare do this my PS4Pro. I could never fully repair my X360 after its first RROD and don't know if it's because I was too afraid to tighten the cooling unit hard enough or if I'm bad with spreading paste.

But my PS4Pro is loud!

Does anyone know of any places that offer the thermal paste & fan replace service within the London area (UK), or does any local Era member fancy taking on the challenge (will compensate!)?

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Despite being technically literate, I have the hand/eye coordination sklls of a sloth glued to an active jackhammer and don't dare do this my PS4Pro. I could never fully repair my X360 after its first RROD and don't know if it's because I was too afraid to tighten the cooling unit hard enough or if I'm bad with spreading paste.

But my PS4Pro is loud!

Does anyone know of any places that offer the thermal paste & fan replace service within the London area (UK), or does any local Era member fancy taking on the challenge (will compensate!)?

Ask a friend or family member to help out instead. Just order the thermalpaste and thermal pads from ebay or amazon if it's too difficult.

Here's a UK seller with the pads you need: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-Pack-o...040274&hash=item48c1a63bc9:g:P4AAAOSwOztcbGiC
And just get whatever thermal paste you want, it can be bought anywhere

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

But my PS4Pro is loud!

Don't be offended, but there's a difference between being lazy (which by all means is okay) and not being technical. I am not technical and I did it with liquid metal, which is pretty dangerous stuff for electrical components. A monkey could do it when just following the guide, especially with regular thermal paste.

Here in Holland I can find plenty of joints on Google that could do it for me. You cannot find a single one? That's odd. I can hardly imagine that there are no local/private PS4 repair shops in the UK. Just 3 random Dutch ones I Googled just now:

Jun 18, 2018
You're going to have to trust me, it's clumsiness, not laziness. Attempting to fix my X360 was a disaster, I've created numerous problems whilst poking around the insides of PCs (including whilst working at a PC Builder during work experience) and laptop screws vanish whenever I need to clean fans, only to be heard weeks later rattling around somewhere inside.

"Here in Holland I can find plenty of joints on Google that could do it for me. You cannot find a single one? "

ERA was my first port of call! But dedicated console repair shops seem to be rare here, whilst PC, Mac and mobile phone repair shops are abundant.

mauaus

Oct 25, 2017
Played the last tomb raider game which made the pro sound incredibly loud before... Its whisper silent now, i highly recommend doing this if you have a jet engine pro

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Go inspired by this thread to open up my PS4 Pro beyond the top. Didn't want to do the thermal paste thing (yet) since I'm a bit paranoid. But I used ifixit instructions to open the up the power supply to reach the heat sink and BOY it was dusty in there. Used my PC blower to blow out all the dust.

Started AC Odyssey, which I have been playing for the past 2-3 weeks and it was starting to get ridiculous with the fan noise but now, its pretty much night and day. Noise is MUCH lower. Honestly I think I can live with this for 1 more year. I did I find out that I got a nidec fan and my Pro is one of the OG from Day 1.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Go inspired by this thread to open up my PS4 Pro beyond the top. Didn't want to do the thermal paste thing (yet) since I'm a bit paranoid. But I used ifixit instructions to open the up the power supply to reach the heat sink and BOY it was dusty in there. Used my PC blower to blow out all the dust.

Started AC Odyssey, which I have been playing for the past 2-3 weeks and it was starting to get ridiculous with the fan noise but now, its pretty much night and day. Noise is MUCH lower. Honestly I think I can live with this for 1 more year. I did I find out that I got a nidec fan and my Pro is one of the OG from Day 1.

If you're lucky this will work for a few weeks. After that it will sound line a jet engine again. Very temporary solution.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
If you're lucky this will work for a few weeks. After that it will sound line a jet engine again. Very temporary solution.
I wonder if this can be prevented. If/when I do my Pro I might experiment with cutting to fit and filling the side channel air intakes with something like this:

Ideally a bit less restrictive looking, this is probably a bit denser than I'd like was just a random first link from Amazon.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Still waiting on the parts, but I did open it up to check and yeah, still very little dust, but the fan is definitely Nidec. So I guess that doesn't make it easier to decide whether I should buy another fan or not. 😆

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I wonder if this can be prevented. If/when I do my Pro I might experiment with cutting to fit and filling the side channel air intakes with something like this:

Ideally a bit less restrictive looking, this is probably a bit denser than I'd like was just a random first link from Amazon.

Cannot imagine this would do any good. You're basically blocking the air from going through your system?

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Cannot imagine this would do any good. You're basically blocking the air from going through your system?
Well no, the idea is that air can go through the foam relatively unobstructed, but dust cannot. And by letting the dust build up on the heatsink fins, you are already basically blocking the airflow which is what makes it noisy (in the situation you originally quoted, where cleaning the heatsink makes it quiet again but you expect that not to last for more than a few weeks). I did comment that this particular foam looks a bit too dense.

I think worst case we know the PS4 can't really be hurt by overheating - it has capability to drive the fan at absurd speeds to compensate for poor airflow, as proven by people's ears, and if it does ever get actually dangerously hot it'll just beep 3 times and shut down - in which case the idea failed and we go back to normal. In the (imo more likely) better case, adding dust filters will raise the initial fan speed slightly but not too much, and it will remain there over a long time as the insides stay nice and clean rather than getting noisier and noisier - so long as we vacuum clean the filters now and again. Or so goes the hope :)

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Well no, the idea is that air can go through the foam relatively unobstructed, but dust cannot. And by letting the dust build up on the heatsink fins, you are already basically blocking the airflow which is what makes it noisy (in the situation you originally quoted, where cleaning the heatsink makes it quiet again but you expect that not to last for more than a few weeks). I did comment that this particular foam looks a bit too dense.

I think worst case we know the PS4 can't really be hurt by overheating - it has capability to drive the fan at absurd speeds to compensate for poor airflow, as proven by people's ears, and if it does ever get actually dangerously hot it'll just beep 3 times and shut down - in which case the idea failed and we go back to normal. In the (imo more likely) better case, adding dust filters will raise the initial fan speed slightly but not too much, and it will remain there over a long time as the insides stay nice and clean rather than getting noisier and noisier - so long as we vacuum clean the filters now and again. Or so goes the hope :)

Well I hope you try it. Curious if it works.

Oct 27, 2017
Against my better judgment (plus the fallacy of sunk costs being what it is), I decided to give this another go after purchasing some screw extracting pliers. The pliers worked like a dream and I was able to remove the motherboard shield but now I've run into YET ANOTHER issue. The cable that connects the PSU to the motherboard just won't budge. I've spent about 90 irritating minutes now trying the pry the cable free from both the PSU and the board. Both ends are equally stubborn.

Does anyone have any advice? Because I'm just about ready to smash this fucking thing to pieces with a croquet mallet.

Oct 27, 2017
Against my better judgment (plus the fallacy of sunk costs being what it is), I decided to give this another go after purchasing some screw extracting pliers. The pliers worked like a dream and I was able to remove the motherboard shield but now I've run into YET ANOTHER issue. The cable that connects the PSU to the motherboard just won't budge. I've spent about 90 irritating minutes now trying the pry the cable free from both the PSU and the board. Both ends are equally stubborn.

Does anyone have any advice? Because I'm just about ready to smash this fucking thing to pieces with a croquet mallet.
Okay, so I gave up trying to remove the cable. Either I or it was going to snap if I continued. Instead, I just (awkwardly) cleaned the CPU and applied the new paste while it was still attached. I reassembled it and it's quiet, so thank fuck for small mercies. Unfortunately, I couldn't get access to the heatsink to clean it but it doesn't seem to have mattered.

So I'm 40 quid in the hole and I have a blown pupil from a rage-induced aneurysm, but it was (seemingly) worth it in the end.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Well, add me to the "Fuck it, I'm taking apart the PS4 Pro" club. I did it, thanks to folks in this thread.

• What I did: A full repaste (Arctic MX-4) and I replaced all of the thermal pads with custom cuts from a Thermal Grizzly 1.0mm sheet. Also blew out dust in the heatsink, though the amount was extremely small.

• Results: SUCCESS. Not only did the Pro boot fine (it's actually a bit hard to make mistakes at a certain point in the rebuild) but Hitman 2 is running *very* quiet. Not 0db, but quiet enough that I can't hear it over gameplay or a nearby PC. That's a huge difference.
Tools that should be on anyone's list for this kind of work:
  • Canned Air (to blow as much dust out as possible from the heatsink)
  • Penknife (to cut the thermal pads)
  • A ruler, preferrably a see-through one (to measure and cut the thermal pads)
  • Tweezers for some of the cable pulls. iFixit's Pro Tech kit came up pretty awesome here.
  • Honestly, the iFixit drivers are really great for this build since you can spin them without relieving pressure.
Overall, if you have the tools, it's not a hard build. But since you have to disassemble like 90% of the console it's also a bit nerve-wracking.

Huge struggles:
  • I'm not sure what it would take to get rid of all of Sony's paste job. 3 doses of ArctiClean did nothing. Cleaning the APU is easy enough but some of the stuff in the pits on the side you should just abandon to fate.
  • I think "Tech Savvy Buyer" has the best video, but he runs it really fast, and makes some decisions that don't work until you've actually tried it yourself.
  • Absolutely don't use another video. Everybody seems to use their own order, but I'd argue TSB's is the safest.
  • That being said...
Okay, so I gave up trying to remove the cable. Either I or it was going to snap if I continued.

I couldn't get it out either. After 10 minutes of pain, I followed iFixit's teardown with the far easier solution: unplug the cable from the power supply instead of from the motherboard (it unplugs on both ends!) You can pull the cable out by yanking it straight from the PSU, which actually did work...

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't get it out either. After 10 minutes of pain, I followed iFixit's teardown with the far easier solution: unplug the cable from the power supply instead of from the motherboard (it unplugs on both ends!) You can pull the cable out by yanking it straight from the PSU, which actually did work...
Yeah, I mentioned in a previous post that I tried that. It was equally stubborn on both ends.

Alls well that ends well though.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Yeah, I mentioned in a previous post that I tried that. It was equally stubborn on both ends.
Alls well that ends well though.

Ah, okay, I didn't see that. Yeah, pulling the cable at all was still an act of faith (it was not budging) but ultimately, a straight pull on the PSU proved that the cable adhered more to the plug than it did to my hand.

48 hours in, still basically more quiet than Builders 2 on my Switch dock.

One other point I forgot to get at: another reason why the iFixit tweezers are useful is to get rid of those tamper stickers. These are not garden-variety stickers - they are so flush with the system that they don't peel and hardly seem to be stickers at all. I basically used the sharp tweezers to tear at it a bit, scrape some of it until enough glue formed to yank it off. Not difficult but also not obvious.

I think my rebuild took about 2-3 hours including finding all of the equipment and carefully organizing my way through. If I had to open again, 1 hour tops. In some ways its a really user friendly process (two screw types, arrows pointing out some of them, and only two screws that were at risk of stripping (the ones on the APU "frame", which you don't really need to remove)

rawd

Oct 25, 2017
I struggled when I got to the PSU connector regardless of which end.

Got frustrated and found a spare cable online incase I fucked it up and just yanked on it as hard as i could. Popped right out in good shape.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Suprised people have so much trouble with the PSU connector. Yeah it's stuck pretty good but if you grab it with a pair of pliers and wiggle a little, it should come out pretty easy.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
uh oh my power supply was super difficult to pull off so when I finally managed to get it apart, the little white power socket attached to the circuit board came off with it :/

any idea what to do? Electric conductive glue to get it to stick again to the circuit board with the four metal clasps?

Edit: the Tech Savvy Buyer video was wrong, it does not show that you have to remove two screws on the metal cover that keep the power supply attached before removing the power supply. This oversight in the video meant that it was hard for me to get the power supply loose, thereby resulting in me using too much force to get it out.

Last edited:

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
uh oh my power supply was super difficult to pull off so when I finally managed to get it apart, the little white power socket attached to the circuit board came off with it :/

any idea what to do? Electric conductive glue to get it to stick again to the circuit board with the four metal clasps?

iFixit Thread on a similar Problem
It sounds like soldering is the safest solution. I have no experience with conductive glue though.

Edit: the Tech Savvy Buyer video was wrong, it does not show that you have to remove two screws on the metal cover that keep the power supply attached before removing the power supply. This oversight in the video meant that it was hard for me to get the power supply loose, thereby resulting in me using too much force to get it out.

I looked at the video, and it does show how to remove all five screws (2 long, 3 short) from the PSU area? (Of course it's the really annoying too fast version with no commentary...)

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
iFixit Thread on a similar Problem
It sounds like soldering is the safest solution. I have no experience with conductive glue though.

I looked at the video, and it does show how to remove all five screws (2 long, 3 short) from the PSU area? (Of course it's the really annoying too fast version with no commentary...)

The video doesn't how you to remove the two screws *on the other side*. I saw your post and thought that the video was the safest one to follow, so I just did every step religiously instead of looking up a better video.

I'm so mad at myself right now. I'll try soldering it or something. Ugh fucking stupid-

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I urge everybody that's going to do this to use this video for tear down/reassembling:

My only warning is that if you use that video + the other one...they use different orders of disassembly, so deciding which order can get confusing. This one also removes the antenna screw, which is unnecessary. But to the point of Sankara it does look like there are two screws on the backplate also connected to the PSU? So it makes sense to remove the backplate first per the order of this video.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Did this last week for my Pro and my standard PS4.
My pro was pretty clean inside, so the difference in noise is good but not overwhelming.
The standard PS4 on the other hand was full of dust. Completely stuffed. Removing that + adding new thermal paste + pads worked wonders. You can't hear it anymore when playing Detroit, where it would go full airplane mode during the startup menu already

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
My only warning is that if you use that video + the other one...they use different orders of disassembly, so deciding which order can get confusing. This one also removes the antenna screw, which is unnecessary. But to the point of Sankara it does look like there are two screws on the backplate also connected to the PSU? So it makes sense to remove the backplate first per the order of this video.

in the video, the dude removes the PSU before unscrewing the 2 x T8 screws on the cover on the other side. This made me literally think I was doing something wrong with getting out the PSU only to then break the 5volt power connector

I am so incredibly stupid and I feel so mad that I ruined a perfectly good PS4 Pro. Soldering is too advanced for me, given that 2 out of 4 soldering pads were pulled out. Hopefully a skilled electrician can do the wiring and soldering and using flux and what-not for me for a relatively affordable price but right now I'm almost about to cry how fucking dumb this thing I did was

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
A tip to people doing this is take photos of steps of disassembly, it helps a lot when you assembly everything back together and since there's differences between Pro models the internet tutorials might differ.

As for me I already changed my Pros thermal paste (which looked really dry) for a high performance one last year but did't changed the pads since I'm going to open again to see how the paste looks after one year of use I might change the pads too.

in the video, the dude removes the PSU before unscrewing the 2 x T8 screws on the cover on the other side. This made me literally think I was doing something wrong with getting out the PSU only to then break the 5volt power connector

I am so incredibly stupid and I feel so mad that I ruined a perfectly good PS4 Pro. Soldering is too advanced for me, given that 2 out of 4 soldering pads were pulled out. Hopefully a skilled electrician can do the wiring and soldering and using flux and what-not for me for a relatively affordable price but right now I'm almost about to cry how fucking dumb this thing I did was
Don't be too hard on yourself, shit happens and if it did't damaged the PCB it seems a very easy fix

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
A tip to people doing this is take photos of steps of disassembly, it helps a lot when you assembly everything back together and since there's differences between Pro models the internet tutorials might differ.

As for me I already changed my Pros thermal paste (which looked really dry) for a high performance one last year but did't changed the pads since I'm going to open again to see how the paste looks after one year of use I might change the pads too.

Don't be too hard on yourself, shit happens and if it did't damaged the PCB it seems a very easy fix

Thanks, that was a nice video, but it did jack out 2 of the 4 pins in the PCB meaning that I would have to run a trace to the copper line - something which I am not skilled with at all and my soldering iron is too cumbersome to do such small work.

I checked with a local hardware electrician, and it shouldn't be more than 30-40 euros to fix for him, he said. So it's all good.

Next time I'll just use more videos and not immediately trust the word of everyone online when they say something is the best procedure to follow. Still, it was mostly my own fault for trying to force the issue or not unplugging the power cord from the PSU itself while removing the PSU. All of this shit would've been avoided had I simply done that or looked at another Youtube video than the one I was recommended above.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Sankara Not sure which video you used, but on the first pages OP mentioned the right ones including the IMGUR manual. I used them with success.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
Either I'm deaf or I just got used to the noise, but I barely hear my PS4 and I sit maybe 10 to 12 feet away from the thing. Is this a common occurrence?

Oct 27, 2017
Sankara Not sure which video you used, but on the first pages OP mentioned the right ones including the IMGUR manual. I used them with success.
He's talking about this video which for some reason leaves out the fact you need to remove screws from the opposite side in order to extract the PSU. I almost ran into the same issue, but thankfully I cross-referenced it with another video that wasn't made by a fucking dunce cap.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris

It was the video CognitiveAtrophy posted and the below post that threw me off and made me automatically believe the steps I was taking:

• I think "Tech Savvy Buyer" has the best video, but he runs it really fast, and makes some decisions that don't work until you've actually tried it yourself.
  • Absolutely don't use another video. Everybody seems to use their own order, but I'd argue TSB's is the safest.

"don't use another video" made it even worse for me.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Either I'm deaf or I just got used to the noise, but I barely hear my PS4 and I sit maybe 10 to 12 feet away from the thing. Is this a common occurrence?

Since all Pro's have poor thermal paste + pads: yes, very common. If you barely hear yours in for example NMS and in HZD's and GoW's menu's, I would be worried your fan might be broken or something else is wrong.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
"don't use another video" made it even worse for me.

Hey I feel for you, but I never meant "don't ever watch any other videos!" I meant that if you watch several of them during the disassembly, you can get into other problems. The motherboard might drop out (as it did for me) or the PSU will fall down or you yank one of the interior cables. I absolutely think you should watch multiple videos to be comfortable with the process, but what I found in the PS4Pro disassembly videos if that step 5 for one is completely different from step 5 for another. You should pick one order and go for it. Or take photos as Hitokiri03 suggests and roll your own.

What should go without saying is that in any video, if your component is not coming out as easily as what you see, then pulling harder is rarely a good idea. Troubleshoot. Maybe they missed a step? (And they did; the author admits this in the comments of his video) Maybe *I* missed a step? Sony doesn't want you to disassemble this thing so treat it like hostile ground. I was so confused over the PSU cable pull that I watched 3 videos and read two iFixit teardowns before ultimately trying a straight pull on the other end.

Anyway, I hope your PS4 gets fixed soon, honestly. The noise dif for me was huge and it makes playing Hitman a lot easier on the ears (and sound system).

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
im so tired of this god damn console. My first ps4 pro's drive broke. Whatever, it was loud as FUCK anyway.
So i got a brand new one. And..... it was actually pretty silent in its first week or so. Now it sounds like a jet engine again playing Days Gone. it's ridiculous.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
im so tired of this god damn console. My first ps4 pro's drive broke. Whatever, it was loud as FUCK anyway.
So i got a brand new one. And..... it was actually pretty silent in its first week or so. Now it sounds like a jet engine again playing Days Gone. it's ridiculous.

Then get of your ass and do something about it, like we did. :-)