• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else with a noisy ps4 pro been hearing a quiet double beep? It's a two tone bleep, the second being higher pitched than the first, and it happens every few minutes.

Have you replaced the Hard Drive in your Pro? That sounds like a HDD issue. It usually means the drive is experiencing errors; you might want to think about replacing it ASAP.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No problem, and remember: stay away from Seagate. I don't care who says what or what charts they trot out or what anecdotal evidence they try to use, do NOT buy a Seagate drive. Just go WD Blue or Black.

I also agree to never buy a Seagate. That's a few years of working AppleCare talking.

fersnake

Nov 17, 2017
Guatemala
guys, i have a question about the noise, i hear that the CUH-7200 is the quieter, but its was only available with the red dead bundle. my question is if every ps4 let say Amazon are the CUH-7200 or its whatever version they have in stock?

Oct 28, 2017
only cleaned the heatsink since you can reach it pretty easily without disassembling too much and it's already way quieter. i don't think i'll ever go to the point of changing the thermal paste tho

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Do PS4 Pros usually get that loud? Sounds louder then my PC, and my graphics card fan is overclocked.
No. I've had mine since launch and it is still pretty quiet. You can hear the fan when the system is really being worked, but usually that is when my living room is pretty warm. If you have a lot of dust and animals, I think you will have problems eventually.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
only cleaned the heatsink since you can reach it pretty easily without disassembling too much and it's already way quieter. i don't think i'll ever go to the point of changing the thermal paste tho

That unfortunately is a very short term solution. Within a few weeks (or even days) it will sound like a jet engine again. The dust is only 10% of the problem. The rest is thermal paste/thermal pads.

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
guys, i have a question about the noise, i hear that the CUH-7200 is the quieter, but its was only available with the red dead bundle. my question is if every ps4 let say Amazon are the CUH-7200 or its whatever version they have in stock?

I bought the CUH 7200 in January without Red Dead. You can see the model number on the box itself before you even buy it. I'm sure most Pros at stores are 7200s now. Getting a free game was a plus during the holidays, but you didn't have to get one then to guarantee a quieter system.

Note: I think the model number in the US is like CUH-7250 or something like that if I remember right.

fersnake

Nov 17, 2017
Guatemala
I bought the CUH 7200 in January without Red Dead. You can see the model number on the box itself before you even buy it. I'm sure most Pros at stores are 7200s now. Getting a free game was a plus during the holidays, but you didn't have to get one then to guarantee a quieter system.

Note: I think the model number in the US is like CUH-7250 or something like that if I remember right.

thanks, yeah i cant see the model number cuz im buying it on Amazon and if it's possible localy if the right is price.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
So yeah, I'm pretty much done with the insane jet engine sounds coming from my PS4Pro. It's gotten so bad that even with headphones on it's still unbearably loud.

I've tried everything to fix it, except removing and replacing the thermal paste, something I'm very anxious about.
But fuck it, if I ruin it I'm even willing to buy the new version of the pro that's supposedly a lot more quiet, but for now I'm going to try and fix it.

Besides the thermal paste itself (I'm going to use Thermal Grizzly paste), what else am I going to need?
What's the best way to remove the old thermal paste?

Please share your thoughts/experiences/tips/helpful videos/words of encouragement and my eternal gratitude will be yours

Update 1:

Update 2:

Update 3:

Update 4:

Comparison video

Wow good work Pinty, and now we just need to work on your strange sense of humour and odd thread gif insertions.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's so weird how some can be so noisy. Glad you got yours fixed. I got the version launched with rdr2 bundle and it's silent no matter what I play

OP
OP
PintSizedSlasher

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
and now we just need to work on your strange sense of humour and odd thread gif insertions.

giphy.gif

mauaus

Oct 25, 2017
Launch unit here, changed paste with arctic silver 5 and cleaned it when rdr2 launched, it was super silent for a few months and then went back to being a jet engine.

Bought grizzly paste and pads and opened it myself yesterday. Relatively easy as long as you stay organized, i bought a little box with separations for the different screws.

Its back to being dead silent hopefully it stays that way until ps5 rolls by

Natels

Oct 26, 2017
That's a pretty impressive improvement.

Gonna use the rest of my CPU cooler thermal paste and do the same tomorrow. The noise is just unbearable.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
No problem, and remember: stay away from Seagate. I don't care who says what or what charts they trot out or what anecdotal evidence they try to use, do NOT buy a Seagate drive. Just go WD Blue or Black.
Doubling up on this, but it's not a bad idea to go SSD, now. 1TB drives are relatively cheap, if it's within a budget, since the given HDD isn't much cheaper. The QOL changes alone are worth it.

Minarik

Nov 9, 2017
I'm tempted to open up my brand new PS4 Pro and replace the thermal paste. Out of the box, it sounds like a blowdryer doing anything. My One X would get a little noisy during Read Dead, but the PS4 Pro sounds like it's taking off.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I'm in the same boat as you. Might as well not bother with ordering and waiting on shipping thermal pads if the main problem is the thermal paste.

It's most likely a combination of both. The factory thermal pads are way too small. It's just a little extra effort if you're gonna open up your console anyway. Might as well go the extra mile. I'm glad I don't have to open it up again because I took care of everything right away. Look at it:

1zno2eo.jpg

Last edited:

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
It's most likely a combination of both. The factory thermal pads are way too small. It's just a little extra effort if you're gonna open up your console anyway. Might as well go the extra mile. I'm glad I don't have to open it up again because I took care of everything right away. Look at it:

1zno2eo.jpg

Thanks. I guess I'll have to order some just to be safe. Is it 1mm thick? And approximately how much is needed

KillerAJD

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I guess I'll have to order some just to be safe. Is it 1mm thick? And approximately how much is needed
Could possibly(?) find it cheaper elsewhere, but I grabbed this Themal Grizzly thermal pad and was able to do all what was needed in the PS4 Pro. I cut some pieces bigger then they needed to be earlier on, so a few of the memory chips aren't 100% covered (although still vastly more covered than the stock pads). If you aren't sure of yourself, it looks like to two pack is only a few bucks more (but looks like it only has one in stock), and that'd be way overkill, but you'd have more if you mess up.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
my destiny 2 pro sounds like its going to take off when im running #DreamsPS4. whats the video to disassemble and apply new paste?

rawd

Oct 25, 2017
Could possibly(?) find it cheaper elsewhere, but I grabbed this Themal Grizzly thermal pad and was able to do all what was needed in the PS4 Pro. I cut some pieces bigger then they needed to be earlier on, so a few of the memory chips aren't 100% covered (although still vastly more covered than the stock pads). If you aren't sure of yourself, it looks like to two pack is only a few bucks more (but looks like it only has one in stock), and that'd be way overkill, but you'd have more if you mess up.

I needed the two pack for my pro to do the memory chips and the small semiconductors. One strip wouldn't have been enough.

If I only did the memory chips, one strip would have been enough.

Stickman

Oct 27, 2017
So, i'm planning to do the whle thing myself, too. I mistakenly though bought the Thermal Grizzly pads that are only 0,5mm thick. Will these work or if not can i just put 2 of them on top of each other for the memory chips?

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
So, i'm planning to do the whle thing myself, too. I mistakenly though bought the Thermal Grizzly pads that are only 0,5mm thick. Will these work or if not can i just put 2 of them on top of each other for the memory chips?

I'm guessing you'll probably be fine with a single layer.

EDIT: nevermind I'm stupid.

Last edited:

Baro08

Feb 26, 2018
You need to use the exact thickness because if the pads are too thin and doesn't make contact with the metal plate, they would not be transfering the heat out of the chip. It's like not having thermal pads at all.
Also, if they are too thick, they won't trasfer the heat properly and maybe apply to much force on the chips.
For the pro you need 1mm thickness

Natels

Oct 26, 2017
So I changed the thermal paste. I used some I had left from my Cryorig M9i cooler but left the original thermal pads on.

It was fairly easy. The improvement is huge. Spider-Man cutscenes made it incredibly loud before and now the fan does ramp up a bit but it's not to the level of waking up the neighbours. So much more quiet!

I strongly suggest everyone with a jet engine PS4 Pro to do this. Specially now during summer.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
I am now a believer! I swapped out the thermal pads, repasted the APU and replaced my Delta fan with a Nidec and the difference is night and day. The fan would go absolutely nuts during menus and game play, just like in the "before" section of OP's vid, now it's completely silent and the fan hardly ramps up when I'm in games like Days Gone. When I would be playing Sekiro in Ashina Castle, the fan would be going crazy as well but now it's absolutely silent. I have a launch PS4 Pro and I can't stress how drastic the improvement is. I actually had to quit playing a few games on PS4 because the fan made it extremely unpleasant to play. Combined with the heat and the fact that I couldn't use my sound system, it was just a tremendous buzzkill. I used Arctic thermal paste and pads. If anyone is interested, I can dig up the link on Amazon for the Nidec fan. It's about $10 more expensive on Amazon but they have 1 day shipping as opposed to eBay which takes three weeks.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
If anyone is interested, I can dig up the link on Amazon for the Nidec fan. It's about $10 more expensive on Amazon but they have 1 day shipping as opposed to eBay which takes three weeks.

Interested. Not sure what fan I have yet but I couldn't find a Nidec source yet if nothing else worked out.

Found a way to get the iFixit tools for less than a King's ransom, so I'm going to try a repaste and repad in the next month as well.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
Interested. Not sure what fan I have yet but I couldn't find a Nidec source yet if nothing else worked out.

Found a way to get the iFixit tools for less than a King's ransom, so I'm going to try a repaste and repad in the next month as well.
Link to the fan. This actually comes with the screwdrivers you need to get the PS4 Pro open. Also, if you want to check which fan you have you can just open up the PS4 Pro without unscrewing anything and check for yourself.

Nidec is on the left and Delta is on the right.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Link to the fan. This actually comes with the screwdrivers you need to get the PS4 Pro open. Also, if you want to check which fan you have you can just open up the PS4 Pro without unscrewing anything and check for yourself.

Nidec is on the left and Delta is on the right.

Interesting kit! Pretty much need to go almost as far as disassembly to figure out what fan I have (ladder, extract pro, clear a table, de-dust, remove lid) but considering the kit you linked also comes with MX-2? Very appealing if I need it. Will look into this ASAP.

Ended up going iFixit regardless because I know they provide quality tools (and just generally a lot of the supporting tools I wanted, like a magnetic tray, spudgers, various tweezers) and because I finally found an Amazon link that would ship here (iFixit's own store charges $50 USD for shipping, by comparison). But still need to source paste and pads, so this is an interesting option.

BolognaOni

Oct 27, 2017
Made the "mistake" of buying a used pro and after hearing how loud it gets I can see why it was offloaded.

Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, I like messing with hardware about as much as I like playing games so. New fan on the way, if that plus mandatory re-paste to go along with it is not enough I'll probably start chopping the damn case up.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
Update: Just reinstalled No Man's Sky as it also made my PS4 Pro's fan kick into overdrive and it's almost completely silent right now during moments that would have made it impossible to hear anything going on due to fan noise. Also, my old roommate had a corgi that shed a lot and I found lots of hair in my heatsink so remember to clean everything before you reassemble it.
Interesting kit! Pretty much need to go almost as far as disassembly to figure out what fan I have (ladder, extract pro, clear a table, de-dust, remove lid) but considering the kit you linked also comes with MX-2? Very appealing if I need it. Will look into this ASAP.

Ended up going iFixit regardless because I know they provide quality tools (and just generally a lot of the supporting tools I wanted, like a magnetic tray, spudgers, various tweezers) and because I finally found an Amazon link that would ship here (iFixit's own store charges $50 USD for shipping, by comparison). But still need to source paste and pads, so this is an interesting option.

I think there is a way to check by just taking the top off and counting the blades of the fans, I'm not sure. I'd have to dig up the source on that one. I'm curious, is yours as loud as the OP's PS4 is in the video he linked?

Pennywise

Oct 25, 2017
I am now a believer! I swapped out the thermal pads, repasted the APU and replaced my Delta fan with a Nidec and the difference is night and day. The fan would go absolutely nuts during menus and game play, just like in the "before" section of OP's vid, now it's completely silent and the fan hardly ramps up when I'm in games like Days Gone. When I would be playing Sekiro in Ashina Castle, the fan would be going crazy as well but now it's absolutely silent. I have a launch PS4 Pro and I can't stress how drastic the improvement is. I actually had to quit playing a few games on PS4 because the fan made it extremely unpleasant to play. Combined with the heat and the fact that I couldn't use my sound system, it was just a tremendous buzzkill. I used Arctic thermal paste and pads. If anyone is interested, I can dig up the link on Amazon for the Nidec fan. It's about $10 more expensive on Amazon but they have 1 day shipping as opposed to eBay which takes three weeks.
Good stuff.
It's good to enjoy playing games again without being so annoyed by the sound.

That deal sounds good. Had no other option in Germany, unless I bought a used fan and they were kind of expensive. So the ebay one was kind of my only choice. Came alot faster than expected from China though, so it wasn't that bad.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I think there is a way to check by just taking the top off and counting the blades of the fans, I'm not sure. I'd have to dig up the source on that one. I'm curious, is yours as loud as the OP's PS4 is in the video he linked?

I don't have the high pitch, coil wine sort of problem, but it's a super-loud blower (so, I think the fan is working properly, it's just running at "high") which is loud enough that I have to turn up TV volume significantly. I live in a country where it's 30c year-round, so we already run ceiling fans (if not more), and this is very loud compared to those. Hitman, Days Gone, Horizon all run full volume. Even Bloodstained runs loud (not as loud though) in menus. It's enough that if I want to properly enjoy the audio I'd just plug in headphones.

Pennywise

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have the high pitch, coil wine sort of problem, but it's a super-loud blower (so, I think the fan is working properly, it's just running at "high") which is loud enough that I have to turn up TV volume significantly. I live in a country where it's 30c year-round, so we already run ceiling fans (if not more), and this is very loud compared to those. Hitman, Days Gone, Horizon all run full volume. Even Bloodstained runs loud (not as loud though) in menus. It's enough that if I want to properly enjoy the audio I'd just plug in headphones.
There's no guarantee. I thought I had a Delta fan with the level of noise the fan produced. Once I started to open the console, I was quite suprised that I actually had a Nidec fan.
Switched it regardless.

That's how you can spot the difference without taking the fan out.

rMdRNEWn_o.jpg

Last edited:

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
There's no guarantee. I thought I had a Delta fan with the level of noise the fan produced. Once I started to open the console, I was quite suprised that I actually had a Nidec fan.
Switched it regardless.

So you just went Nidec>Nidec? Interesting. I'll keep that in mind.

Dust is 100% not a problem here. Already tried cleaning it out once to no effect.

Pennywise

Oct 25, 2017
So you just went Nidec>Nidec? Interesting. I'll keep that in mind.

Dust is 100% not a problem here. Already tried cleaning it out once to no effect.
I ordered the fan without checking it, plus there was an ebay coupon for 10€ off any order. So I paid like 19$ for it.
Thought due the fan being that loud and annoying it must be a Delta. Since I already paid for it, it would have been a waste not to use the new Nidec fan.
Results are speaking for themselves and I still got thermal paste and pads left over, in case the console gets loud again.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys! Can anybody bother with a list of stuff I need to shut my Pro up?

So far I'm only sure of the Nidec fan. Would like to know which brand of paste is better and which thermal pad I should order, etc.

Thanks!

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I ordered the fan without checking it, plus there was an ebay coupon for 10€ off any order. So I paid like 19$ for it.
Thought due the fan being that loud and annoying it must be a Delta. Since I already paid for it, it would have been a waste not to use the new Nidec fan.

Yeah, at $19 it would be a steal. The amazon option is going to be $50 USD + Shipping, so I'm not sure about taking that extra step yet.