• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ToD_

Oct 27, 2017
My PS4 Pro sounds about the same as yours did before. I have a lot of downtime this month, so maybe I'll give this a shot as well.

I'm not bothered by a little fan noise but my Pro sounds absolutely ridiculous. It so bad it really affects my enjoyment of some games. RDR2 is pretty bad, for example. It is hard to get immersed in the game due to my Pro sounding worse than a window AC unit on full blast.

I am pretty sure it has always been this bad, and I can't imagine it is all that dirty inside. There's definitely a heat transfer issue of sorts in my unit. Perhaps a thermal paste replacement will do the trick. My regular PS4's fan was never at a level where it became noticeable or distracting.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
My PS4 Pro sounds about the same as yours did before. I have a lot of downtime this month, so maybe I'll give this a shot as well.

I'm not bothered by a little fan noise but my Pro sounds absolutely ridiculous. It so bad it really affects my enjoyment of some games. RDR2 is pretty bad, for example. It is hard to get immersed in the game due to my Pro sounding worse than a window AC unit on full blast.

I am pretty sure it has always been this bad, and I can't imagine it is all that dirty inside. There's definitely a heat transfer issue of sorts in my unit. Perhaps a thermal paste replacement will do the trick. My regular PS4's fan was never at a level where it became noticeable or distracting.

If you've never cleaned it, trust me: it's dirty inside. You will be surprised by the amounts of dust.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Been playing Prey for an hour now. It's fucking amazing how silent it is. It's more fun to play even.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Don't be like me whose original PS4 will no longer boot for reasons I can't determine after I tried to clean it and reapply the thermal paste

Check the connection from the motherboard to the PSU. It's two heavy metal prongs. Make sure they're straight and perpendicular light an electrical plug. The motherboard and PSU should slot in together very nicely. If it doesn't connect properly, you'll either get no boot, or it'll boot up for a second then shut off.

edit: oops was looking at old posts. Already answered you :S

Oct 28, 2017
kinda want to check my ps4 heatsink but i'm not confident at all in my skills. doesn't help it's at the bottom of everything

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
I was in the same mindset as you, but the noise got the better of me. And like Marble above, I'm in no way a technical person, but thoroughly following a guide made it a relatively easy job.
Basically everything logical that didn't involve completely tearing down the console. Cleaning the heatsink probably made the biggest difference is my guess.
Maybe it's been posted in the thread but do you mind pointing me to the guide you used? Maybe i'll give it a shot. Was playing mine yesterday and the noise muffled some dialogue so bad I thought about your thread again. Really inching closer to doing something.

OP
OP
PintSizedSlasher

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I used these two guides. Particularly the top one was a very helpful video.
I used the same paste as the guy in the second video.

Maybe it's been posted in the thread but do you mind pointing me to the guide you used? Maybe i'll give it a shot. Was playing mine yesterday and the noise muffled some dialogue so bad I thought about your thread again. Really inching closer to doing something.

I used the top video for tear down and reassembly and the bottom video for how to apply the thermal paste.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
I'm thinking about buying a Nidec fan and also changing the pads and thermal paste. My launch PS4 Pro sounds like a freaking jet engine and I can hear it in in different rooms.

KillerAJD

Oct 25, 2017
This thread got me to try it myself (wasn't particularly concerned about breaking something as I've taken apart enough consoles, was just too lazy, and didn't think it'd make a huge difference). Used Kyronaut and the TG 1mm thermal pads.

The difference is actually really awesome. When I played rdr2 at launch, I used the 1080p mode because I couldn't stand the noise the PS4 made, especially as I have it at chest level only a few fwet from me. It's much quieter now, on par with my PC which also sits right next to me on my desk.

Didn't find hardly ANY dust in the thing though, and I have a Nidec fan, but the stock thermal paste was extremely thin and didn't cover the whole apu die. The copper block that sits on it was also really rough, so I'm sure that doesn't help, but I don't have the tools to smooth that right now.

Hopefully it lasts awhile, but maybe now I can go back and play some more stuff that I had stopped playing due to how loud it made my PS4.

Oct 27, 2017
Thought I'd give this a crack myself since the tutorial videos seem relatively easy to follow. I now wish I didn't.

Everything went well until I had to remove the tiny black screws in the motherboard shield however they just wouldn't budge even using the tiniest Phillips head I own (a PH00-40). I think I might have stripped one in the attempt too so dismantling it is now totally out of the question.

Fuck it. I'll just grin and bear the noise until the PS5 releases...

Nov 30, 2017
Thought I'd give this a crack myself since the tutorial videos seem relatively easy to follow. I now wish I didn't.

Everything went well until I had to remove the tiny black screws in the motherboard shield however they just wouldn't budge even using the tiniest Phillips head I own (a PH00-40). I think I might have stripped one in the attempt too so dismantling it is now totally out of the question.

Fuck it. I'll just grin and bear the noise until the PS5 releases...

These work.

www.ifixit.com

How to Remove a Stripped Screw

Remove a stripped screw from your electronic device.

Nov 30, 2017
Yeah, I browsed that exact webpage about 30 minutes ago. None of it is helpful. The screws are far too small for pliers to gain purchase. As for the rotary tool, even if I owned one, I sure as shit wouldn't aim it at my console.
Sure, I can understand that. I never used a rotary tool but the super glue worked well for me, actually used liquid nail metal adhesive.

I never replaced the paste on my PRO but used to repair computers on the side for people and ran into stuff like this occasionally.

But yeah if it aint broke.

Jinjo

Nov 12, 2017
I did this twice before.

Followed the instructions perfectly and it worked. At first you will be absolutely happy with the results, the noise is noticably less, I've experienced it too. But months or a year down the line you will notice the PS4 getting louder again. I did too, are it the new games asking more of the PS4 or is it the same old design flaw returning? I don't really know.

I decided to do it again because the first time yielded such amazing results and it was supereasy right? I can do this again. Second time it cost me my PS4. It just didn't turn on afterwards, even send it to a professional and it couldn't be salvaged. Had to spend the cold hard cash, I couldn't really miss, to buy a new one.

For who-ever dares to do the fix as well, it works. But one slip-up and it will cost you your device. So keep that in mind when you do attempt it, don't do it if you can't miss the money.

Either way, the second time I got a more quiet PS4 too lol. But to be fair it's more reliable to sell your old PS4 and use it towards a newer model one. Better results & guaranteed.

Enjoy your new-found silence while it lasts OP (and others). Just know, it will be short-lived.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I did this twice before.

Followed the instructions perfectly and it worked. At first you will be absolutely happy with the results, the noise is noticably less, I've experienced it too. But months or a year down the line you will notice the PS4 getting louder again. I did too, are it the new games asking more of the PS4 or is it the same old design flaw returning? I don't really know.

I decided to do it again because the first time yielded such amazing results and it was supereasy right? I can do this again. Second time it cost me my PS4. It just didn't turn on afterwards, even send it to a professional and it couldn't be salvaged. Had to spend the cold hard cash, I couldn't really miss, to buy a new one.

For who-ever dares to do the fix as well, it works. But one slip-up and it will cost you your device. So keep that in mind when you do attempt it, don't do it if you can't miss the money.

Either way, the second time I got a more quiet PS4 too lol. But to be fair it's more reliable to sell your old PS4 and use it towards a newer model one. Better results & guaranteed.

Enjoy your new-found silence while it lasts OP (and others). Just know, it will be short-lived.
It's better if you sell your old console for 250-300 bucks on letgo or something. (If its og model, gonna have to throw some games at least with it - buy cheap ass bd movies and shove them in too)

Then just put the rest for a new pro.

Just a recommendation for next gen if it happens. I sold my og ps4 when pro released for 300. Just put 100 for the upgrade. (Also got a 2 yrs warranty for $40 at gs - 1.8 years later I told them my now noisy ps4 had an issue. They gave me a new red dead pro no questions asked. You gotta hustle 😉 )

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, everyone! My kit has arrived and I am getting started!

I may disappear for a couple of hours as the wife wants to hit the movies, but I'll be sure to update with pictures and everything!

OP
OP
PintSizedSlasher

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Alright, everyone! My kit has arrived and I am getting started!

I may disappear for a couple of hours as the wife wants to hit the movies, but I'll be sure to update with pictures and everything!

Good luck!

giphy.gif

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Already hit a small snag, but I think I can get around it.

One of the small black screws looks to be stripped before I even touched it. All the rest of the screws came out easy, it's this one I'm concerned about.

But I'm taking a small break before I attempt to get it out; if it really is stripped, it's game over already.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
It's still shocking to me to see how loud some of your PS4 pros are! As I mentioned, I'm on a day one model and it's perfectly fine. In fact it's so quiet right now I was wondering if it was actually running.

Glad OP everything went well. That comparison video is quite something!!!

Alessandro

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed my pro was going into airplane mode lately.

Thermal paste was all smeared like many others shown with pics.
After having cleaned and applied a drop of mx 4 artic now it's silent as a mice.

Thanks for the heads up OP.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
If I try to do this, is it required for me to also do the thermal pads? I also have the paste, but would I also need to re-apply new thermal pads on the memory blocks?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Wow that before and after is something else. Mine isn't really loud, but I may reapply thermal paste anyway to get it that silent.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
That before and after is pretty amazing. Hopefully it holds up over time or at least until you decide to get a PS5.

This thread inspired me to clean out my PS4 more thoroughly as i I usually just take off the top and clean out the fan. All I did was remove the power supply and spray that out and the heatsink instead of a full disassemble ans repaste. Definitely a lot of build up in there over the years.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Holy fuck that video.

I'm lucky I guess, cause my PS4 pro barely makes a peep really.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Success!

Here is the link for the teardown: http://imgur.com/a/Y5eQizG

My heatsink wasn't as dusty as I thought it would be, but the paste job by Sony was as much of a clusterfuck as I imagined it would be.

Booting up BLOPS 4 doesn't give me that "jet engine" fan sound anymore.

It was fun doing this, even with the stripped screw. I'm glad I was able to finish the mission.

Thanks to PintSizedSlasher for the idea and the leadership to move forward in this decision!

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
I have the 7100 PS4 Pro series which really heats up my room even with plenty of air circulation. Would a thermal paste and thermal pads reduce the amount of heat temperature coming from the PS4 Pro?

OP
OP
PintSizedSlasher

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Success!

Here is the link for the teardown: http://imgur.com/a/Y5eQizG

My heatsink wasn't as dusty as I thought it would be, but the paste job by Sony was as much of a clusterfuck as I imagined it would be.

Booting up BLOPS 4 doesn't give me that "jet engine" fan sound anymore.

It was fun doing this, even with the stripped screw. I'm glad I was able to finish the mission.

Thanks to PintSizedSlasher for the idea and the leadership to move forward in this decision!

Nice one!
I had some troublesome screws as well, but luckily was able to get them out with a small pair of pliers.
Glad it worked out for you!

I have the 7100 PS4 Pro series which really heats up my room even with plenty of air circulation. Would a thermal paste and thermal pads reduce the amount of heat temperature coming from the PS4 Pro?

Mine still gets very hot, even after the maintenance I did.
I looked it up, but apparently that's normal?

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
So what's the list of stuff to buy? Do I need to get thermal pads as well?
You don't NEED to, unlike paste the existing thermal pads can be re-used without issue. You may want to though, as the Thermal Grizzly ones will perform better (1mm thickness I believe is correct, 20cmsq should be enough - others please confirm).

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
So what's the list of stuff to buy? Do I need to get thermal pads as well?

T8, Philips screwdriver, liquid metal (or standard paste, but metal is better), alcohol, scissors and some q-tips.

If you're gonna buy the Thermal Grizzly pads, make sure you buy 2 bags. There's only one strip in a bag, which is not enough. I hardly managed to cover everything and used the old pads to fill up some gaps.

You don't NEED to, unlike paste the existing thermal pads can be re-used without issue. You may want to though, as the Thermal Grizzly ones will perform better (1mm thickness I believe is correct, 20cmsq should be enough - others please confirm).

The existing pads are way to small and don't fully cover the memory modules. You'll definitely want to replace them. Might as well get that done too.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
T8, Philips screwdriver, liquid metal (or standard paste, but metal is better), alcohol, scissors and some q-tips.

If you're gonna buy the Thermal Grizzly pads, make sure you buy 2 bags. There's only one strip in a bag, which is not enough. I hardly managed to cover everything and used the old pads to fill up some gaps.

The existing pads are way to small and don't fully cover the memory modules. You'll definitely want to replace them. Might as well get that done too.

Yeah I should have put more emphasis on it being a good idea to do the pads. If you're going liquid metal, should def watch the Gamer's Nexus vid on how to apply. And add clear nail polish to the shopping list if you don't have some already available.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Yeah I should have put more emphasis on it being a good idea to do the pads. If you're going liquid metal, should def watch the Gamer's Nexus vid on how to apply. And add clear nail polish to the shopping list if you don't have some already available.

I used electrical tape to cover up the transistors. You can leave that on when reassambling.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I feel like Sony doesn't get enough flak for the noise levels on the original Pro, especially considering so many people's problems seem related to poor installation of the CPU.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Any particular reason to really go liquid metal? Seems like the safest but still effective solution would be Arctic Silver / other non-conductive compound.

Thanks for the info though, looking hard at options. If only iFixit wasn't hundreds of dollars over here.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Any particular reason to really go liquid metal? Seems like the safest but still effective solution would be Arctic Silver / other non-conductive compound.

Thanks for the info though, looking hard at options. If only iFixit wasn't hundreds of dollars over here.

Ifixit is not necessary, just convenient for those in the US or whatever it ships to cheaply. Tools-wise you need only a Torx T8 screwdriver (not sure if security Torx, check!), small Phillips screwdriver & perhaps a plastic spudger. Small tweezers and pliers might be handy too. These things should all be easily sourced locally wherever you may be.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

I believe it cools slightly better.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Has anyone else with a noisy ps4 pro been hearing a quiet double beep? It's a two tone bleep, the second being higher pitched than the first, and it happens every few minutes.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Do PS4 Pros usually get that loud? Sounds louder then my PC, and my graphics card fan is overclocked.