• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I think I am going to definitely do this. I love working with computers, so this shouldn't be that difficult. My PS4 Pro isn't loud all of the time, but adding some new paste and cleaning out the system would be nice. Which paste do you all suggest? I know some are mentioning Grizzl, but are there any others? I have the screwdrivers (except the T8), pliars and 90% Isopropyl. Anything else I should need?

knightmarre

Oct 27, 2017
I was planning to do the same thing as you OP. I watched a bunch of youtube videos and gathered all the tools i needed but when i opened it i saw the fan was full of dust. I cleaned it and tried the ps4 again and it was quiet.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I think I am going to definitely do this. I love working with computers, so this shouldn't be that difficult. My PS4 Pro isn't loud all of the time, but adding some new paste and cleaning out the system would be nice. Which paste do you all suggest? I know some are mentioning Grizzl, but are there any others? I have the screwdrivers (except the T8), pliars and 90% Isopropyl. Anything else I should need?

Well most definitely the T9. Maybe the thermal pads if you want to do it good.

Feb 10, 2018
It gives me great lols that some ppl on era are like this:

giphy.gif

About the pros noise levels.

It's far easier and less stressful just to let it go. Embrace the noise, it's a sign of great power.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Ok, sweet. What kind of paste am I looking for? I have no interest in doing liquid at this moment in time, so any good thermal paste suggestions that won't fry the console?

I bought the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, but Kryonaut is also good apparently.

It gives me great lols that some ppl on era are like this:

giphy.gif

About the pros noise levels.

It's far easier and less stressful just to let it go. Embrace the noise, it's a sign of great power.

I'm perfectly relaxed. It's fun to find out this stuff

Thankful mines silent

Also in the menus of Sony's exclusives? I find that hard to believe. I would be worried if it's completely silent. That would mean your fan is not working.

Deleted member 20433

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I see people here have different experiences when it comes to cleaning the Pro and change thermal paste. I guess that's just the way it is.

I did it myself a couple of months ago, and the noise level is the same as it where before, really high. I did the same thing with my OG PS4, and difference then was night and day.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Cleaning your console (if you're comfortable doing so) is just good maintenance. Same reason you should open up your PC and clean out the dust every so often depending on the environment you're in. But, it's not always a silver bullet for noise reduction. Some PS4 fans are louder than others, sometimes it comes down to the silicon lottery and you could just have an APU that runs hotter than the next one.

Glad to see you saw results though OP! I cleaned my launch day PS4 once a year and have since given it to a friend and that baby is still kicking. I do the same with my Pro, but I never can tell how loud it is between the sounds of 1) my PC running 2) my AC fan running and 3) a standing fan I have running in the room. And if you're curious why I have both 2 and 3 going, my answer is simple: Texas.

Pennywise

Oct 25, 2017
I see people here have different experiences when it comes to cleaning the Pro and change thermal paste. I guess that's just the way it is.

I did it myself a couple of months ago, and the noise level is the same as it where before, really high. I did the same thing with my OG PS4, and difference then was night and day.
Might wanna consider a new fan in that case.

Baro08

Feb 26, 2018
Ok, sweet. What kind of paste am I looking for? I have no interest in doing liquid at this moment in time, so any good thermal paste suggestions that won't fry the console?
I have tried Arctic MX-4 and Kryonaut. Kryonaut is better but as Marble said, you should really change the thermal pads. Anything compared to the originals is better. Try cutting it to cover the complete memory chips. I used fujipoly extreme 1mm 11w/mk but the thermal grizzlys are also good considering to buy the 1.0 mm ones

Feb 10, 2018
I'm living with it till PS5. Here's hoping Sony's get it together next gen when it comes to noise.

I doubt it, I think Sony would rather save money and just stick a big ol heat sink + fan, then spend extra on more expensive cooling tech.

I mean which you rather have? More ram or more powerful APU contained in a big not so quiet box or less power/ram and a smaller/quieter box?

Nov 30, 2017
Fantastic job OP. Appreciate the B4 and after proof. Ive only cleaned the dust out and it doesnt get as loud as that B4 video but it does spin up in menus on some games.

Great job though

OP
OP
PintSizedSlasher

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
So did you just replace the Thermal Paste? Sorry if its a silly question..

I'm in the same boat as you were and really need to sort the crazy fan noises out :(

I replaced the thermal paste and removed all the dust, which was a lot.
And that's about it really. Didn't replace the fan, didn't replace the thermal pads....
Imagine if I had done that as well..... my Pro would become a black hole for sound.... 😬

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it, I think Sony would rather save money and just stick a big ol heat sink + fan, then spend extra on more expensive cooling tech.

I mean which you rather have? More ram or more powerful APU contained in a big not so quiet box or less power/ram and a smaller/quieter box?
We'll see. They weren't too bad any of the previous generations so maybe this is a one off thing (Two times if you count pro and base PS4.)

AngryPuppy

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a comparison video.
Recorded under exactly the same circumstances, right after booting up the game.

That's about the difference changing paste & pads made for me, as well as clearing out the dust that had accumulated on the heatsink. Two months later the fan now sounds like it's about 10-20% instead of not spinning at all, but that might be due to the PS4 Pro being cramped into a TV stand with a 360 & Switch and poor airflow which it wasn't before, or maybe some dust accumulation. And that's playing RDR2 which was previously 100% clear-for-take-off as soon as it loaded.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bruh - that is a night and day difference! Incredible.

Part of the reason I've stopped playing my Pro is because of the noise, if I wasn't so deep into the Sony ecosystem, I'd make the full switch to MS I think, but this thread at least gives me a way to fix mine. Thanks!!

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Great work OP! Sounds like night and day. As a non PS4 owner, I often hear about this noise problem. Is the 'before' sound the level it's at for everyone with this problem? If so then Sony should feel a little ashamed for shipping a product that would end up that noisy.

LunarDuck

Dec 30, 2017
UK
I replaced the thermal paste and removed all the dust, which was a lot.
And that's about it really. Didn't replace the fan, didn't replace the thermal pads....
Imagine if I had done that as well..... my Pro would become a black hole for sound.... 😬

Thankyou for the swift response <3

I'm 100% going to do that then, thanks for making the thread, I'll be so happy if it gets resolved!

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds

Holy...I never understood what people meant when they said "jet engine" sounding for their PS4 Pros, now I know. Mine is quiet, been lucky with my consoles in that I've haven't had issues like this nor defects. Right on OP, might bust mine open just to clean the dust it no doubt has.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's already been said, but I picked up a brand new PS4 Pro last week and am amazed how much quieter it is than the original Pro. Like night and day. Don't put so much Into your project where it would have been cheaper to just trade your old Pro in for a new on (unless you are doing it for the fun)

Gamestop I assume? How much did you get for your old one?

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Sony could make a killing selling PS4 Pro patch kits. Comes with better thermal paste and all the tools you need to fix the issues of the PS4 pro.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Sony could make a killing selling PS4 Pro patch kits. Comes with better thermal paste and all the tools you need to fix the issues of the PS4 pro.

Yeah that won't cause a major shitstorm. If they do that they practically admit their product has flaws so they can exploit you a little more.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Looks pretty normal. They usually put more than required out of the factory.

And usually its a generic paste which doesn't really perform well at heat transfer.

Tempted to do this on my Pro as well, but maybe I'll replace the one on my PS3 first, bet that one is dusty on the inside too.
PS4 apu doesn't put out enough heat to warrant high end TIM. It's when you get into really power hungry cpus/gpus that high end TIM shines. At <200w, liquid metal or anything comparable isn't needed. Even stock paste is more than enough.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
Did this for mine last summer, lasted a few more months silently and now it's loud again lol

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Lol op before audio could be poster child for jet engine complaints. That's a pretty big difference. Wonder what the measure decibel difference would be.

What type of thermal paste are people using? Noise levels are fine on my pro but Stupid bluray drive won't read discs and I would have to remove everything to get to it

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
Same issue as me. I have to tap the top and or lightly shake it while it starts trying to read the disc for it to work. I'll probably have to open mine up at some point if I want to be able to trade up to ps5 hah
Yeah, thank god I have a lot of digital games, tapping the top every time gets boring fast. I won't be trading in my Pro though, I like to collect consoles so when the PS5 is here my Pro will go back in its box so it can sit there think about what he's done.

MortosDer

Oct 27, 2017
It does seem a bit loud in that video. But I've lived with a R9 290 reference gpu. You don't know what a jet engine really is until you plug that thing in your room.
Imagine someone using a hair dryer in the same room, a couple of feet away. ALL THE TIME.
I gave that card away after getting another quieter card. He tried to mod into a water cooling solution. The RAM fried. Still, it was worth a shot.

Well done OP. It's fun taking stuff apart and then putting it back together and leave it in a better shape than before.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
Not familiair with that brand and maybe this is a stupid thing to say, but Grizzly might be better? Especially liquid metal.
gelID is often the best or 2nd best to grizzly. At least as of the time I last bought pasted (couple years ago). good good stuff.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom

Amazing! I might have to give this a whirl. Mine can reach those sustained levels during summer for sure depending on the game. No Man's Sky makes the fans go absolutely nuts on the Pro and even cranks the fans on the X too, it's a little silly.

Did this for mine last summer, lasted a few more months silently and now it's loud again lol

Hmm now I'm not sure if it's worth it or not...

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
Amazing! I might have to give this a whirl. Mine can reach those sustained levels during summer for sure depending on the game. No Man's Sky makes the fans go absolutely nuts on the Pro and even cranks the fans on the X too, it's a little silly.

Hmm now I'm not sure if it's worth it or not...
I mean it takes like 30 minutes ~ 1 hour, so not really all that bad. I'll probably do it again sometime soon.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Mine isn't that nearly noisy to begin with, but holy crap what a difference. At first I thought you just forgot to put the audio in for the second part. I'm considering doing this fix even if I don't need to lol. Presumably the new thermal paste is better for the systems health.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Pro's quiet convenient to take out the top part of the unit to clear out the dust that gets accumulated around the fan.