• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Our HOA is pretty hardcore about shit, no fences unless you have a personal pool (No above ground pools), no satellite dishes, no vehicles parked at your house other than standard cars/trucks (so no boats/RV's etc.) no sheds and a plethora of other things. The one thing they do have is they will not allow anyone that is registered above a tier 1 sex offender to live there, which I am perfectly okay with.

Poohblaster

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
If I left my garbage can in the street a couple of days after trash pickup, my HOA would take a picture of it and mail it to me. I guess it was supposed to be a warning.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Our HOA is pretty hardcore about shit, no fences unless you have a personal pool (No above ground pools), no satellite dishes, no vehicles parked at your house other than standard cars/trucks (so no boats/RV's etc.) no sheds and a plethora of other things. The one thing they do have is they will not allow anyone that is registered above a tier 1 sex offender to live there, which I am perfectly okay with.
if you're in the US its against the law for the HOA from preventing you from using satellite dishes. Unless its like an apartment building or condo type thing then it might be different.

similarly HOAs can't prevent you from putting solar panels on your house.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

At what point does it start feeling like you don't own the place?

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
"put that pointless section of fence back to where it was propped up by a shrub. and also paint the fence on the other side of the house even though it's obviously on the neighbor's side of the very clear divide between the properties. the light in your address number fixture was out, please attend the next meaning and explain why."

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
We have an HOA in our neighborhood and it seems fine. We have two community pools, exercise room, basketball courts, jungle gym, three tennis courts, a sand volleyball court, baseball field, a man made lake, and a neighborhood that looks good. We even have an annual event where the HOA brings an In N Out truck to serve us free food and Santa comes to visit us every Christmas.

The head of the board is also an older gentleman and he has been pretty good. So no issue with HOAs for us so far.

Masseyme

Banned
May 23, 2019
There is some good associated with Home Owners Associations but I have to think that a good bit of them have segregationist roots. Especially here in the south. When you talk about "uniformity" a different meaning comes to mind. Gotta keep that property value high!

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
They're a bizarrely and uniquely America concept. I don't understand them at all.
We used to live in a neighborhood that was a new subdivision. One of the neighbors moved and this some woman bought the house for her son to live in. He turned out the me a massive sack of crap, left broken cars in the yard and visible in the backyard, never cut his grass, didn't keep up the exterior of his house in any way, and was a shitty person in general.

The purpose of the HOA is to hold everyone accountable to the same standards of keeping your property up. Simple things like keep the lawn mowed, don't cover the windows in trashbags, ect, so that you your property values don't go down and the place looks nice. Some HOAs will use the money from dues to make the neighborhood better, add in additional amenities like pools, side-walks, yard services, and playgrounds.

Hoas can be nice depending on who is running them. Unfortunately a lot of people can get busy and won't be able to go to meetings or some busy body with nothing better to do than lord over people will try to micro manage the neighborhood and collect a whole bunch of extra money though multiple fines. There are also shitty businesses that will be shitty for you. Then they become a hellscape. Again the issue with HOAs is how far the HOA takes things.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
if you're in the US its against the law for the HOA from preventing you from using satellite dishes. Unless its like an apartment building or condo type thing then it might be different.

similarly HOAs can't prevent you from putting solar panels on your house.

Huh, good to know, I knew about the solar panel thing as I have seen many of them on other houses, but I wasn't aware of the dish thing, we have a meeting coming up so I will probably bring that up. We are basically locked into TimeWarner/Spectrum as our only provider for anything and it fucking sucks. Cincinnati Bell who is obviously a regional provider has Fiber Optics but they still haven't laid the wire in our neighborhood and I keep assuming the HOA won't allow them to do it so I will have to check on that also now that I think about it.

FunkyStudent

Jan 28, 2019
They essentially serve the function of a local government (e.g., infrastructure maintenance, code enforcement, etc.) but with their own privately established standards and little/no accountability. They're pretty indicative of a neo-liberal future we're slipping into. It's also wild seeing people living in cities with decent services willingly move into a subdivision with an HOA.

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
They raised my HOA $50 a month this year for "basic maintenance. Now my monthly HOA is $358 -__-

We dont even have good amenities. Outdoor pool and a tiny, shitty little exercise room. Fuck em.

For the life of your house loan you are giving away 120,000$ for hoa.... Almost comical.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I agree they do suck, but you know, all their bullshit generally IS in the contract you sign when you buy the home, so all can really be said in most cases with these is "told you so".

Moral of the story:

1. Read your contract before signing it
2. don't buy real estate that involves homeowners associations (if you value the freedom to literally alter anything about your property, since the answer to "can I do this?" is probably no.)

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll have options to not live in neighborhoods with HOAs? I'd never put up with that shit.

Though I'm struggling to think of something more Era than living in an HOA community and flying an ... anarcho-syndicalist flag ... It's like going to Harvard and wearing your Che Guevara shirt every day.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
At what point does it start feeling like you don't own the place?

I don't really feel that way, but we also haven't really tried to do anything that would force us to go to them for it yet either. I mean on one hand it's annoying that people can't do what they want with their home, but then our neighborhood is extremely nice because of some of the restrictions so it's like the ole Alonzo Mourning acceptance gif lol.

FunkyStudent

Jan 28, 2019
I agree they do suck, but you know, all their bullshit generally IS in the contract you sign when you buy the home, so all can really be said in most cases with these is "told you so".

Moral of the story:

1. Read your contract before signing it
2. don't buy real estate that involves homeowners associations (if you value the freedom to literally alter anything about your property, since the answer to "can I do this?" is probably no.
Exactly...also be wary of what you're giving up (in terms of assistance with certain things) if you're buying on a private street or unincorporated land.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I would have gladly bought a condo years ago if the HOA wasn't a thing. They put these really good prices for mortgage and they hide the HOA fees to bring suckers in. Want to go to live in a condo nice area? Be prepared to pay double and sometimes more what the advertised payments are.
Condos are the places where owners associations make total sense. How do you expect maintenance of shared areas to happen without one?

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to park my car in the street and the HOA requires to trees and those two trees rain sap all over my car and I tried to put a cover on my car to block the sap but the HOA said that the cover was against their rules

Fuck that shit

Oct 27, 2017
We have an HOA in our neighborhood and it seems fine. We have two community pools, exercise room, basketball courts, jungle gym, three tennis courts, a sand volleyball court, baseball field, a man made lake, and a neighborhood that looks good. We even have an annual event where the HOA brings an In N Out truck to serve us free food and Santa comes to visit us every Christmas.

The head of the board is also an older gentleman and he has been pretty good. So no issue with HOAs for us so far.
Monthly cost?

Oct 27, 2017
HOAs are great. If you don't like them, don't buy a house in a neighborhood that has one. It's really really simple. Or I suppose you could buy a house in a neighborhood that has one and then whine like a baby about a decision you willfully made. That works too.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My mom was president of the neighborhood HOA when I was growing up. Her primary function was to tell the rest of the board "look, I know we COULD fine someone for that but that's insane and we aren't going to."

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
My hoa is pretty chill, it's only like 60 bucks a quarter. They maintain the green belt and other common areas. The rules are fair but keep crap like RV's and boats, and rusted out hunks of shit out of driveways and street parking.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The Supreme Court ruled that racially restrictive housing covenants were illegal in 1948. That doesn't mean they weren't covertly enforced, however.

Housing covenants, yes. But it was still legal to enforce all kinds of other really nasty discriminatory local laws up until 1964. If you've never heard of "sundown towns" its rather eye opening.

All white municipalities that would legally require blacks to leave city limits before dark. You didn't have to worry about blacks buying housing if they werent allowed to be there in the first place.

Edit: fair housing act that banned discriminatory rentals wasnt until 1968 also. So while restrictive covenants werent enforceable, simply advertising "no blacks allowed" in your rental or sale advertisement remained legal until 1968.

Last edited:

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Huh, good to know, I knew about the solar panel thing as I have seen many of them on other houses, but I wasn't aware of the dish thing, we have a meeting coming up so I will probably bring that up. We are basically locked into TimeWarner/Spectrum as our only provider for anything and it fucking sucks. Cincinnati Bell who is obviously a regional provider has Fiber Optics but they still haven't laid the wire in our neighborhood and I keep assuming the HOA won't allow them to do it so I will have to check on that also now that I think about it.
yup. one of the letters i got when we first moved in was about my satellite dish. The irony of course being we removed the previous owners satellite dish, which was about 10 feet from the front of the house on one side, the directv guy installed the new dish on the same side at the very very back of the house. Im like you dumb mother fuckers.

so i did some research and actually found the FCC has a law/statue/whatever that states that they (HOA) cannot prevent you from doing it. I sent that law to them and never heard another thing about it.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
Every new housing development I see these days has a big sign that reads, "NO HOA!" So like, that's a selling point now.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
lol, I just remembered. I saw a Reddit post recently where a neighbourhood's HOA was using drones to look for violations by flying into the homeowner's private spaces.

Recently our neighborhood has had a problem with drones flying over our fenced in yards and private property. The HOA sent out a news letter saying the drones are used to monitor the landscaping but I don't see how our private fenced in yards are their concern.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, an HOA was a deal breaker for us when we were looking for our house. Since lawns are ecological disasters, we wanted to create a backyard habitat, something an HOA would never allow. Probably wouldn't have allowed us to build a catio either.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
My hoa is pretty chill, it's only like 60 bucks a quarter. They maintain the green belt and other common areas. The rules are fair but keep crap like RV's and boats, and rusted out hunks of shit out of driveways and street parking.
Yeah in the neighborhood we are buying in the HOA was strictly set up to maintain the nature preserve at the entrance to our neighborhood. It also prevents any more development of that area, protects the ecology and wildlife and maintains it completely natural. There are some other small maintenance things it handles but overall it seems pretty laid back

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
Mine is awful. Keep getting fined for something I already fixed and they don't return phone calls or emails. It's a racket.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
They raised my HOA $50 a month this year for "basic maintenance. Now my monthly HOA is $358 -__-

We dont even have good amenities. Outdoor pool and a tiny, shitty little exercise room. Fuck em.

Go to board meetings or request the minutes, and request to see the buildings budget so you can see where it all goes. You have a right to all of these things.

Our complex is relatively new and we had to raise fees a good amount because we need the money. There's a lot we want to take care of in the future regarding landscaping and fixing up the place in the coming years and we need to have some money on hand in case of a fire or storm damage or building repairs.

The money isn't just going into a black hole.

Some of you sound like the same ignorant people that whine about paying taxes.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
What is the actual benefit of an HOA? Sounds like such a soulless "club" to be a part of.

Its for people who cant mind their own damn business. Everyones met one at some point in their life. You know what Im talking about.

Yeah, it's part of buying a house in the neighborhood. Historically, HOAs have been used to keep undesirable (brown, Jewish) people out of neighborhoods. Mine is essentially harmless and just ensures that everyone mows their lawn.

That doesnt surprise me at ALL.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
ill never understand the concept of HOAs, or - quite frankly - people who have the money to buy a nice enough home AND pay all of those fees only to not actually have control over your home and subject yourself to that kind of busybody nonsense. a neutral HOA that just exists to maintain property value is fine, and a non-issue... unfortunately, the problem is, it seems as if very, very few of them exist in that capacity, else we wouldnt have SO MANY STORIES of HOAs and the people inhabiting them being the absolute worst. its kind of insane.

having said that, obviously if youre buying a house and its a part of an HOA, and you dont like HOAs, but you buy the house anyway and end up in an HOA, well then... thats on you.

and also, like, for that kind of money you can buy a small plot of land, have a house built to your specifications, and no shitty neighbors (or neighbors of any kind). its obvious im not the person whom that kind of living is advertised for, which is fine (not a family man, no interest in suburb community, not building a family-appropriate life, not trying to build equity to sell a place down the road), but on a fundamental level that kind of operation and living environment really bothers me. especially when it comes to the concept of the "lawn", which is one of the single most wasteful uses of earth that modern man has conceived of. like, plant a fucking garden and grow a small amount of crops you GOONS. my mother had a tiny ass garden in her tiny ass backyard that grew enough for her to eat pretty consistently without having to hit up the grocery store nearly as much as she might have otherwise.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Have there actually been any studies about whether HOAs add to a property's value? Or is it just the Developer pushing their own interest?

Edit: I mean for single family home associations.

kaf

Technical Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Have there actually been any studies about whether HOAs add to a property's value? Or is it just the Developer pushing their own interest?

Edit: I mean for single family home associations.

I guess HOA's are more about maintaining the value versus increasing. The land itself will naturally appreciate over time - but if the house and curb appeal isn't maintained - it'll be harder to sell for more. I recently bought a house in a nice neighbourhood - but things like the roofing and landscaping were clearly not maintained and I was able to get it for a steal. If there was an HOA that hounded the previous owner, it would need to have much less work be put into it, and probably would have sold for much more than what I got it for.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My parents always had to pay a lot to park their sail boat in because the HOA didn't allow us to park it in the drive way. It was a nice ass fucking boat, nicer than most peoples shit cars.

HOAs are ridiculous. They also wouldn't let me mom hang an LGBTQ flag on her back patio either.....

And for all the assholes saying not to live in a place with an HOA, good luck with that if you want a new home.

Deleted member 50454

Banned
Dec 5, 2018
HOAs are great. If you don't like them, don't buy a house in a neighborhood that has one. It's really really simple. Or I suppose you could buy a house in a neighborhood that has one and then whine like a baby about a decision you willfully made. That works too.

What if you bought a house in a neighbourhood that has a HOA and then just tell them to get fucked?

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia
There are a huge variety of by laws of what have you. Completely depends on how it's setup.

My rental properties all have HOAs because obviously I want the renters to maintain an appropriate level of care to the outside of the home. They ensure the grass is mowed, only certain colors for paint, no cars on the lawn, etc. fairly strict.

Now where I live absolutely not. I have covenants that basically prevent farm animals, noise after 1000hrs (other than holidays), very minor stuff. The Board manages the roads, street lights (dealing with the county), common area yard maintenance, etc. It's mainly to maintain upkeep for common areas. My yard has not been mowed in a month and no one gives a shit.

Some people like HOAs for their specific reasons, others can't stand them. For people like me who have rental properties they are vital.