• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Untogether

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, this is right. A lot of people come to the UK to work, sometimes temporarily. I've never heard the term expat being used here, however... which does make it suspect to me. I have indeed only heard it being used for westerners, particularly white westerners, working in Asian or Middle Eastern countries.

And it's the Brits working abroad that absolutely push for that term over all else. I've been in those communities and I can tell you it's not just Asia (by which most people generally mean South East Asia) and the Middle East, but East and West Africa and even mainland Europe are not exempt. (The retirement communities in southern Spain and the working communities in EU Brussels are particularly prevalent.)

Not just the Brits, of course, it's a general white economic migrant thing but that double standard (for me, as a Brit as well) is particularly telling.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Some or even most probably feel above the terms, but it also doesn't really make sense to refer to yourself as a migrant worker when the vast majority of people would take it to mean you are working on a farm or as a housekeeper or whatever. For better or (mostly) worse, people choose the path of least resistance.
Case in point, right? They don't want to be called that because it puts them in the foreign laborer class, and how dare we call them dirty foreigners.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And it's the Brits working abroad that absolutely push for that term over all else. I've been in those communities and I can tell you it's not just Asia (by which most people generally mean South East Asia) and the Middle East, but East and West Africa and even mainland Europe are not exempt. (The retirement communities in southern Spain and the working communities in EU Brussels are particularly prevalent.)

Not just the Brits, of course, it's a general white economic migrant thing but that double standard (for me, as a Brit as well) is particularly telling.
Yeah, I don't doubt that at all. The people I happened to know who worked abroad (all as English teachers, funnily enough) did so in Asian and Arab countries.

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
Some or even most probably feel above the terms, but it also doesn't really make sense to refer to yourself as a migrant worker when the vast majority of people would take it to mean you are working on a farm or as a housekeeper or whatever. For better or (mostly) worse, people choose the path of least resistance.

lol. They are migrant workers. They aren't special.

People can and wll (rightfully) make fun of white people for this, like the original poster you quoted.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

People can and wll (rightfully) make fun of white people for this, like the original poster you quoted.
This is not something that's unique to white people in Asia, I think it's a matter of social strata more than anything.
No one calls software engineers who come to the US on a h-1b visa migrant workers, and after they live here for a while we usually just call them [country of origin] - Americans, and it's generally considered kidna rude (if not racist) not to, even before their naturalization process is completed.

I think it's pretty universal that people don't want to be called terms they associate with a class lower than them.

asun

Nov 10, 2017

Yah. What's wrong with putting farm labour, housekeepers, factory workers, doctors, engineers, etc. all in the same category of migrant labour if the person doing that job migrated to do so? While people are free to be more specific, suggesting that one shouldn't be included as part of that overall category for reasons ends up bringing in the colonialist connotations that we're talking about here. Of course, it could also just be a classist argument that's being made. However, that also isn't really separable from a colonialist narrative.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
Eh personally, I do believe people travels to other countries, fall in love with the country (people, food, culture), and stay there.

The thing with being a white dude in Asia is... unfortunately, the stigma is "sexpat." Also, I wonder if it's because Asian countries are never portrayed in a positive light in Western media. The only "positive" thing usually tends to be the women. It makes people wonder... when someone goes to Asia, why are they going? When they fell in love with the Asian country they're in, what is it that they fell in love with? A lot of times, people suspect it has to do with a penis.

This is a clumsy explanation and I'll probably come back later and try to edit it to make it more clear.

I think this is a very adequate line of questioning. The stigma "sexpat" is a real thing, and I've come across many in the expat community that literally go to South East Asia (SEA) for that specific purpose because their marriage at home fall apart in their 40s and 50s. In these cases, it's absolutely true that they left their country with their penis in mind as well as getting away from the mess they have created back at home.

I have also met people in the expat community that literally went there for a job and just stayed for whatever reason you can think of, people, food, upgrade in quality of life, and etc.

I think this whole topic about expat started because someone claim all expats are racists. I've had enough experiences hanging out with expats to know that it's true in some cases and not in others. But, when it comes to old white guys from England and Australia, it is usually true.

The term expat may have more connotations than I am aware of. I came across this term while I was visiting Bangkok back in 2006. The Americans staying there called themselves expats, people from their 20s to 40s, so I guess I never connected the term expat and the history that might be associated with it.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The term expat may have more connotations than I am aware of. I came across this term while I was visiting Bangkok back in 2006. The Americans staying there called themselves expats, people from their 20s to 40s, so I guess I never connected the term expat and the history that might be associated with it.
The Sun Also Rises used "expatriate" to describe such people and it was written in 1926.
Google tells me it got shorten in the 60s to expat, and I feel the term has been use pretty neutrally for a while now.

I think like everything in this world it is touched with racism and classism, but I feel like it still mostly used to describe something real, neither good or bad, just a thing.

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
Yah. What's wrong with putting farm labour, housekeepers, factory workers, doctors, engineers, etc. all in the same category of migrant labour if the person doing that job migrated to do so? While people are free to be more specific, suggesting that one shouldn't be included as part of that overall category for reasons ends up bringing in the colonialist connotations that we're talking about here. Of course, it could also just be a classist argument that's being made. However, that also isn't really separable from a colonialist narrative.

This is not something that's unique to white people in Asia, I think it's a matter of social strata more than anything.
No one calls software engineers who come to the US on a h-1b visa migrant workers, and after they live here for a while we usually just call them [country of origin] - Americans, and it's generally considered kidna rude (if not racist) not to, even before their naturalization process is completed.

I think it's pretty universal that people don't want to be called terms they associate with a class lower than them.

All these words so white people can avoid calling themselves an "immigrant". I think you guys are being obtuse on purpose.

This is why I don't bother talking in these types of topics in Era.

Just to respond to a specific point: The fact your immediate response to me is to tell me I'm the real racist says enough already.

There's a world of difference between someone calling themselves Indian-American and someone calling themselves an "expat" after living years in a country. Expat simply tells the recipient you are a white person in a foreign land (ie. immigrant). Indian software engineers are called immigrants all the time - I'm Indian, I would know...

Last edited:

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
All these words so white people can avoid calling themselves an "immigrant". I think you guys are being obtuse on purpose.

I think for many people it's more innocent than that. Some folks literally just go there for work. They then connect with other foreigners in the local area that speaks English, and the word expat is just a word used as a self-identifier, hence the term expat community.

I came close to moving to Bangkok in my mid 20s just because I had a great time visiting the place for a month. Innocent to how some may associate the term, I would have identified myself as an expat just because the people I'd be around identifies themselves as such.

The Sun Also Rises used "expatriate" to describe such people and it was written in 1926.
Google tells me it got shorten in the 60s to expat, and I feel the term has been use pretty neutrally for a while now.

I think like everything in this world it is touched with racism and classism, but I feel like it still mostly used to describe something real, neither good or bad, just a thing.

This is exactly how I interpreted the term as well. I looked it up on google, found out that expat is short for expatriate, which is a term for a person that relocated to another country but has not renounced their citizenship to their home country. I just rolled with it until I saw how other people in this thread associated the term with racial and seedy connotations.

Last edited:

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

So I don't know how it is in every country, but you can't really immigrate to China. They don't really naturalize forefingers, they don't even give permanent residency (though they're talking about maybe opening a program for that now).
So what do you call someone who live there fore like 5 years?

I think what we have is exapt and migrant worker, and I think the breakdown there is more about wealth/social strata than race.
In my experience, an Indian that work in Microsoft Beijing is called a expat, and one that work as at a low paying job is called a migrant worker.

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
I think for many people it's more innocent than that. Some folks literally just go there for work. They then connect with other foreigners in the local area that speaks English, and the word expat is just a word used as a self-identifier, hence the term expat community.

Is it innocent?

Someone in this topic asked what's wrong about it. I explained. I'm immediately met with resistance about the origins or meanings of the term from new people because losing the term "expat" somehow feels like losing power for them.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
Is it innocent?

Someone in this topic asked what's wrong about it. I explained. I'm immediately met with resistance about the origins or meanings of the term from new people because losing the term "expat" somehow feels like losing power for them.

I mean, I gave you a specific case for myself on my post that you quoted. I think this is true for many people in their 20s-30s that just moved to another country that already has an established expat community while not knowing the existence of the term expat.

I would have called myself an expat just because other foreigners around me calls themselves an expat as well as how the term is defined. Unless I did more digging about other hidden meanings behind the term, I would have continued to call myself an expat.

How is this not an example innocently using the term?

Untogether

Oct 29, 2017

I have to dispute this. It's used by the people who choose to define themselves this way, and want to actively distance themselves from the word immigrant. Expat is a proudly chosen label by the people from within that group, it's how they define themselves. It's self selection, and about raising yourself above the fruit picker or the refugee. Immigrant or Economic Migrant has such a stigma attached in Western culture that certain people will absolutely not have themselves associated with those 'classes'. And a big part of this is classism, which I niavely thought was a particularly British thing, until this thread.

All these words so white people can avoid calling themselves an "immigrant".

Yes, as a white, british economic migrant for the last eight years across three continents, unequivocaly yes.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Like I said, they are, but most people would assume something or need some clarification, because the terms are loaded. Like we are going in circles here.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have to dispute this. It's used by the people who choose to define themselves this way, and want to actively distance themselves from the word immigrant. Expat is a proudly chosen label by the people from within that group, it's how they define themselves. It's self selection, and about raising yourself above the fruit picker or the refugee. Immigrant or Economic Migrant has such a stigma attached in Western culture that certain people will absolutely not have themselves associated with those 'classes'. And a big part of this is classism, which I niavely thought was a particularly British thing, until this thread.
It is literally impossible to immigrate to China.
I think the technically correct term is guest worker. I don't know, never heard that term used like that.
Should we?
Maybe?
I don't know, I'm not a native speaker, but I am pretty certain that if I just start calling expats "guest workers" people would would just assume I'm having a Balki moment. I suspect a lot of people here will be confused about what I'm talking about if I say "I was a guest worker in China".

I am not against campaigns to change the way we talk, in fact, I think most of the big ones I've seen in my life were generally a push for good, but it's kinda hard starting something on your own, especially when you have an accent.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
It is literally impossible to immigrate to China.
I think the technically correct term is guest worker. I don't know, never heard that term used like that.
Should we?
Maybe?
I don't know, I'm not a native speaker, but I am pretty certain that if I just start calling expats "guest workers" people would would just assume I'm having a Balki moment. I suspect a lot of people here will be confused about what I'm talking about if I say "I was a guest worker in China".

I am not against campaigns to change the way we talk, in fact, I think most of the big ones I've seen in my life were generally a push for good, but it's kinda hard starting something on your own, especially when you have an accent.
?

Doesn't China have a permanent resident card?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
?

Doesn't China have a permanent resident card?
I read that they are thinking about starting a program now.
To the best of my knowledge it was not available at the time, at least not to someone like me.
I could have got wrong information from immigration lawyer, wouldn't be the first time.

In any case, there are many people who live in those countries for a few years with no intention to actually set root there.
We need a word for that.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
To the best of my knowledge it was not available at the time, at least not to someone like me.
I could have got wrong information from immigration lawyer, wouldn't be the first time.

In any case, there are many people who live in those countries for a few years with no intention to actually set root there.
We need a word for that.
The word is expat. I don't know anyone arguing that it isn't.

I would wager, however, that a significant portion of people who use that word don't mean it in just that way.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The word is expat. I don't know anyone arguing that it isn't.

I would wager, however, that a significant portion of people who use that word don't mean it in just that way.
I don't think people really think very deeply on the meaning of that word.
I know I didn't.
I don't remember when was the first time I learned that word, doubt it was in school, but I always felt it's pretty clear who is an expat, so I just used it like everyone around me did.

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
yes but it's more like 99.9 percent impossible to get.
Looks like if you're not Chinese by blood, it's difficult.

We need a word for that.
Expatriate IS the word. It's the same as being a migrant worker. Usually English speakers differentiate by class/skill when they use those words, though. If I went to Taiwan, just to work for a couple years, I'd be considered an expat. My husband's family hired a full-time, live in housekeeper from Indonesia for his grandma and no one describes her as an expat, but rather as a migrant worker.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think people really think very deeply on the meaning of that word.
I know I didn't.
I don't remember when was the first time I learned that word, doubt it was in school, but I always felt it's pretty clear who is an expat, so I just used it like everyone around me did.
I mean, that's the problem, right? It's the norm now because people just used it like that for a long time. That doesn't resolve or justify the issue.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, that's the problem, right? It's the norm now because people just used it like that for a long time. That doesn't resolve or justify the issue.
I'm sorry if I'm being slow here, but can you explain to me what is the issue and what word(s) do you think we should use?
I'm not being passive aggressive, I honestly think I missed something.

Expatriate IS the word. It's the same as being a migrant worker. Usually English speakers differentiate by class/skill when they use those words, though. If I went to Taiwan, just to work for a couple years, I'd be considered an expat. My husband's family hired a full-time, live in housekeeper from Indonesia for his grandma and no one describes her as an expat, but rather as a migrant worker.
In my experience it's pretty much class/social strata. But I assume it used a bit differently in different parts of the world.

asun

Nov 10, 2017
Do you want me to guess?
English is not my native language, I swear I don't know.
What word do you think I should use instead of "expat"?
if you're on a temporary work visa type of thing where you don't intend to reside in the country for an extended amount of time, you can use migrant worker or foreign national. both apply.

EDIT: migrant worker doesn't always imply foreign to a country, so it's probably not quite accurate either if you aren't moving around periodically.

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018
Do you want me to guess?
English is not my native language, I swear I don't know.
What word do you think I should use instead of "expat"?

I think you should step back, because this conversation you're having is unintentionally feeling like a derail from the important points that this whole thread started from and the more organic way the discussion has blossomed from there, where a lot of us are able to take a sort of handoff Nguyen gave us with that whole screed to add on our thoughts and experiences with and about the takedown of the "Franks" we encounter and perceive in our own lives and the history of how it got to us having to do that.

Not really just you, anyway. Some people are skating dangerously close, in my opinion, to violating the staff post affixed to the bottom of every page here too.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think you should step back, because this conversation you're having is unintentionally feeling like a derail from the important points that this whole thread started from and the more organic way the discussion has blossomed from there, where a lot of us are able to take a sort of handoff Nguyen gave us with that whole screed to add on our thoughts and experiences with and about the takedown of the "Franks" we encounter and perceive in our own lives and the history of how it got to us having to do that.

Not really just you, anyway. Some people are skating dangerously close, in my opinion, to violating the staff post affixed to the bottom of every page here too.
Sorry, didn't mean to derail, just people started to talk like it's a slur, I donno, English is not my first language, I don't want to accidentally say offensive shit because I don't get some context of a word.
No big deal, I can write around that word, it's not difficult.

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018
By the way, I posted a link earlier by accident, when I was drafting up something pretty snarky, and removed the whole thing when I acccidently posted it. It's a site from an "expat" (I'll just go ahead put quotes around that term for the moment, but the site absolutely uses it in the way some of us are trying to say "expats" mean it).

It's a deplorable website so the link is archived but I couldn't find an archive that didn't allow for clicking on its advertisements. But go ahead click the link here just to read the contained article, because it gives you an exaggerated version of what's being talked about. Exaggerated, but in my opinion, not by much.

(The author is playing a character, but one he seems to agree mostly with—so one presumaby based on himself—judging by the rest of the site and the fact the ads to the "Vietnamese Dating" sites and such are real, clickable ads for those sites—again, please don't click those and let the dude profit from all that shit).

Sorry heres the fixed link

Last edited:

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018
Edit—duplicate deleted, was just trying to fix the link, which is right above in the preceding post now

Last edited:

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018
Sorry, didn't mean to derail, just people started to talk like it's a slur, I donno, English is not my first language, I don't want to accidentally say offensive shit because I don't get some context of a word.
No big deal, I can write around that word, it's not difficult.

It's ok, I'm glad you get not wanting to offend and yeah, that's primarily why I said to step back—unfortunately the discussion is centered in a language other than the one native for you, so I figured the conversation you've been engaged in needs care on all sides, but not at the cost of sacrificing the overall and OP discussion. Asking Clarification is usually cool, but this has turned out to be in a sensitive zone at the moment where that cost might incur.

thanks for your understanding!

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
By the way, I posted a link earlier by accident, when I was drafting up something pretty snarky, and removed the whole thing when I acccidently posted it. It's a site from an "expat" (I'll just go ahead put quotes around that term for the moment, but the site absolutely uses it in the way some of us are trying to say "expats" mean it).

It's a deplorable website so the link is archived but I couldn't find an archive that didn't allow for clicking on its advertisements. But go ahead click the link here just to read the contained article, because it gives you an exaggerated version of what's being talked about. Exaggerated, but in my opinion, not by much.

(The author is playing a character, but one he seems to agree mostly with—so one presumaby based on himself—judging by the rest of the site and the fact the ads to the "Vietnamese Dating" sites and such are real, clickable ads for those sites—again, please don't click those and let the dude profit from all that shit).

That link..I honestly can't tell if it's satire.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017

What the F did I just read? 4 reasons why generic white expat dudes not exploiting Asian women and list those very reasons how they are. Am I not interpreting this correctly?

Yeah, my head is also spinning. Most items mentioned in the article are exactly the concerns you have brought up in your earlier posts, and the article describes some individuals I had the displeasure of meeting.

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018

He claims it is ("This is a satirical website about Neo's experiences as an American expat in Asia. Neo is an invented character.
"Any similarities between 'Neo' was and the author of the site are purely coincidence.
😉" —http://archive.vn/s1VwK

But that's bullshit. In the comments on his latest post, he talks about how covid has affected his site, killing off its affiliate income (http://archive.vn/5ADtj ). Those ads are real advertising and fully operational, which especially tips me off that it's not satire. Otherwise, reading more from him, the guy is deeeeeep undercover. Like in too deep

Last edited:

Untogether

Oct 29, 2017

It's difficult. I've met those kinds of people and while they're not quite as... base as that link is, the attitudes and thoughts are definitely there. Hell, take a look at Bangkok Expats on Facebook (I know, Facebook) and you'll see similar, albiet toned down sentiments. (This is when they're not a bunch of white people shouting at each other about whether you should wai your taxi driver, and how no-one knows the culture like them because they've lived there so long and have a Thai girlfriend.)

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He claims it is ("This is a satirical website about Neo's experiences as an American expat in Asia. Neo is an invented character.
"Any similarities between 'Neo' was and the author of the site are purely coincidence.
😉" —http://archive.vn/s1VwK

But that's bullshit. In the comments on his latest post, he talks about how covid has affected his site, killing off its affiliate income (http://archive.vn/5ADtj ). Those ads are real advertising and fully operational, which especially tips me off that it's not satire. Otherwise, reading more from him, the guy is deeeeeep undercover. Like in too deep

I don't know (or really care) if it's a joke, but there are definitely people who think like that and even worse.
Not everyone, not most people, but my friend once wrote a bad review of sexpat memoir called Shanghai CockTales and the dude sent him an ISIS video -

So really, there are very few things that I would categorically say "they would never do that".

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018
Yeah, my head is also spinning. Most items mentioned in the article are exactly the concerns you have brought up in your earlier posts, and the article describes some individuals I had the displeasure of meeting.

I mean, just look at the comment sections for each article. Those people, at least, have to be sincere. Again, just DO NOT click on any ads, I emphasize. Please.

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018
I meant ads, don't click on any ads (I edited it because it said articles, which, maybe not the best thing to click on either, but I know the archived pages might not have the code to include comments or whatever, but the live ones do. Best would be to copy each url into archive.org, but I know that's extra work)

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018

I don't know (or really care) if it's a joke, but there are definitely people who think like that and even worse.
Not everyone, not most people, but my friend once wrote a bad review of sexpat memoir called Shanghai CockTales and the dude sent him an ISIS video -

So really, there are very few things that I would categorically say "they would never do that".

Yeah, I think it's claiming satire like all the times Trump claims he's joking

MM300

Dec 23, 2018
Yeah, it's satire much in the same way as a white youtube prankster going up to a black person and calling them the N word, and then quickly claiming it's a joke and expecting the recipient to laugh with him in some futile attempt to prevent his ass from getting beaten. This loser's usage of "satire" is just his paper-thin shield just in case someone gets annoyed with his dreck. "It's just a joke, bro."

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018
Yeah, it's satire much in the same way as a white youtube prankster going up to a black person and calling them the N word, and then quickly claiming it's a joke and expecting the recipient to laugh with him in some futile attempt to prevent his ass from getting beaten. This loser's usage of "satire" is just his paper-thin shield just in case someone gets annoyed with his dreck. "It's just a joke, bro."

On point

A reply to Viet Thanh's Times article
OP
OP
kyorii

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
New update. A horrible rebuke to Viet's Times article:

84559904_10108230293038605_2522038239092885801_n.jpg

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
New update. A horrible rebuke to Viet's Times article:

84559904_10108230293038605_2522038239092885801_n.jpg

Frank: You don't belong anywhere, neither the USA nor Vietnam.

Viet: This is a perfect example of whitesplaining, a white guy married to a VN woman thinks he knows the culture more than Vietnamese people who've grown up in it.

Frank: If you don't like this country (USA) then leave it .... and go back to communist VN. Also, don't be angry, life's too short for you to be angry ...

me: HEAD EXPLODES