• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
So basically renown Vietnamese American Author, Viet Thanh Nguyen (The Sympathizer, The Refugees) gets told by "Frank" (who has a vietnamese wife and lived in Vietnam for 12 years) on facebook to go back to home to his home country and learn more about his people.

(You can find the post on his FB: https://www.facebook.com/vnguyen1)
105704048_10108214208666815_875752015365908493_n.jpg

Viet Nguyen then goes off on a massive great rant on "Frank":

I lost control and went to town on Frank on my Facebook author page, so I'll just share here too since you saw what he had to say. The tl;dr version is: fuck Frank.
Alright, let's talk about Frank. Most of you understand where Frank is wrong, but some of you are like, Hey, Frank has a point. Just because he's a white foreigner doesn't mean he can't know Vietnamese culture more than a Vietnamese American like Viet. We're all anti-racist people here, right? Americans can be just as Vietnamese as Vietnamese, if not more so!
So I'll be frank. Frank has an advantage over me. He spent twelve years in Vietnam. I've only been there for four years as a child, and then about one year as an adult returning to study the language and do research, and by "studying the language," I mean going to nightclubs, but that's a learning experience, right?
Nevertheless, through my research, I was able to write "Nothing Ever Dies: Vietnam and the Memory of War" and "The Sympathizer." I know some Vietnamese people have read these books, including the Vietnamese people in the government, who won't allow them to be published in Vietnam. If I knew nothing about Vietnam, then the government would probably let my books be published in Vietnam, because they would be harmless. But my assumption is that my books must show some kind of fundamental truth about the country that is frightening to the authorities, or else why would they care?
Frank's next claim is that he has a Vietnamese wife. Admittedly, "I have an Asian wife" is our version of "I have a Black friend," but I'll let that pass. The strange thing is—I have a Vietnamese wife, too! And we've been married for 23 years! But she's a Vietnamese American like me, and we don't count. BUT!!! I have Vietnamese parents!!!! And I lived with them for 17 years!!!! And they are REALLY, REALLY, REALLY Vietnamese. Shouldn't that count for something?
Then Frank says I don't know the Vietnamese people. I'm not sure how we can test this claim. I will grant to Frank that when I go to northern Vietnam, the Vietnamese people think I'm a Korean and are amazed at how good my Vietnamese is (for a Korean). But after we have some beers together, they think I'm Vietnamese, and that's good enough for me.
The really problematic part is when Frank says I don't know the American people either. This tells me everything I need to know about Frank. Because I've lived in the USA for 45 years. I have a PhD in ENGLISH and I'm a Chaired Professor (you can call me Thầy). I'm pretty sure my English ability is better than most Americans. I won the fucking Pulitzer Prize for Literature (!) which very few Americans have done. But somehow my 45 years in America is not equal to Frank's 12 years in Vietnam, but I guess his Vietnamese wife makes up for that. My parents always did say that Vietnamese women were the best.
Then Frank says I should spend a few years back in Vietnam and get to know my heritage, which I will translate for you: GO BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM.
Basically, Frank is a RACIST, which he has disguised to himself, his wife, and to whoever thinks he is reasonable by using the excuse of having married a Vietnamese woman and spending time in Vietnam. I've met plenty of Franks in person in Vietnam, and let me tell you something: all of them have a Vietnamese wife, girlfriend, or prostitute on their arms.
Let me end on a more academic note. Frank is not just a RACIST, he is what Edward Said called an ORIENTALIST. An Orientalist may indeed have spent decades in an "Oriental" country and found himself an "Oriental" lover and become fluent in an "Oriental" language. An Orientalist loves his "Oriental" country, and when he encounters an "Oriental" American, he will sniff and say, "You've lost your roots" (Frank calls it my "heritage"). But as Said points out, the Orientalist, while knowing a great number of details about the Oriental country in question, uses that knowledge to perpetuate his own power and superiority, and to create stereotypes about the "Oriental" people which serve to accentuate his own superiority. Stereotypes like how knowing an "Oriental" woman means knowing an "Oriental" country.
Frank's comment, by the way, occurred because he read my review of Da 5 Bloods, a movie for which I will bet a lot of money that I much more eminently qualified to talk about than Frank.
Basically, fuck Frank. He's doing what Franks always do. The sad part is seeing Vietnamese people making excuses for him and questioning whether Vietnamese Americans are actually Vietnamese. That's the subject of a whole other essay, but I'll just note the irony of how Vietnamese people in Vietnam like to treat me as a foreigner, a Viet Kieu, and condescend to me--until they need my money. Then all of a sudden I'm really Vietnamese, one of them, a long-lost countryman and relative who should understand their situation, feel for their plight, and give them whatever I have. Vietnamese people (in Vietnam but also in the United States) have some screwed up notions of authenticity that they need to work out for themselves.
If you have ever witnessed Vietnamese people fawning over a white person who can say a single word of Vietnamese, but will question the Vietnameseness of any Vietnamese American who makes a single mistake when speaking the language, you know what I'm talking about.
As for me, I don't care what Vietnamese or Americans think I am. I know exactly what and who I am. Born in Vietnam, made in America. Like so many others. Don't blame us for the history that made us. Don't put us in one box or one category. We have many labels and we can use them as needed—Vietnamese, American, Vietnamese American, immigrant, refugee, expatriate, returnee. And for me, most importantly, son, husband, father, reader, and writer.
I'm not done. I have 5500 more words for you coming later today. Writing is fighting, as Ishmael Reed and Frank Chin said, and I'm looking forward to more fights.

Also as a bonus, Viet Ngyuen as mentioned, wrote a great article on Anti Asian Racism in the times that was also in response to "Frank":

"
Asian Americans Are Still Caught in the Trap of the 'Model Minority' Stereotype. And It Creates Inequality for All"

time.com

Asian Americans Are Still Caught in the Trap of the ‘Model Minority’ Stereotype. And It Creates Inequality for All

Asian Americans have embraced a country that passed a law to keep them out

Update! Viet Nguyen has a little more to say:

Why did I go off on poor Frank? Was he worth my time? Should I have let his comment go as yet another trollish, ignorant observation?
There are in fact a few ignorant trolls in the comments (on my author page--I know people here aren't trolls), and I encourage you to ignore them.
However, Frank is a TYPE, and it felt important to describe this type and how he operates. #fuckFrank is not about an individual. It is about Frank as a racist, patronizing, patriarchal, nationalist state of mind that we Asian Americans have confronted far too often. And not just Asian Americans. Women, too, in general. And I have seen comments from people of other diasporas chiming in that they, too, have their Franks. Then just imagine if you're a diasporic or minority woman of color, how bad it gets.
So I was angry. Some people see me angry and they're like, Don't be angry. You're just being overcome by your emotions. Be rational. Argue politely.
Fuck no.
Have you read The Sympathizer? Because it is a fucking angry novel. It was rejected by 13 (white, American) editors (the one who bought it was mixed-race and British), and I'm sure part of the reason was that they had no idea what to do with an angry Vietnamese or Asian American person. We, who have experienced low-level and high-intensity racism, sexism, and xenophobia are expected to be the model minority, work hard, laugh off the stupid jokes, agree with the white man (and the white woman), stay in our place, stay in our lane, deal daily with the headache of hitting our heads on the glass ceiling and the bamboo ceiling. Those of us who are not the model minority are just expected to shut up and take it. And some of us take out our feelings on each other instead of on those in power.
Fuck no.
Anger is not a bad emotion in and of itself. Anger that leads to hate and unproductive violence and to blaming each other and other minorities or the weak is bad anger. But anger that lets us express our awareness of injustice and which helps us find our voice and speak up and mobilize with others to stand up in public and demand change--that is a righteous anger. That is a necessary anger.
If all I did was dunk on Franks on the Internet, it would be kind of lame. But dunking on Franks is just practice. You're not going to be ready to fight when it really matters if you don't fight the stupidity and malignance on a daily level. I've been doing this since I was in college. This allowed me to be ready to do things like write essays for the New York Times and Time, where I get to confront Frank attitudes when they are expressed by the really powerful.
Here's one section from my Time essay that speaks to this necessary anger:
"Through my Asian-American studies courses and my fellow student activists of the Asian American Political Alliance, I was no longer a faceless part of an "Asian invasion." I was an Asian American. I had a face, a voice, a name, a movement, a history, a consciousness, a rage. That rage is a major feeling, compelling me to refuse a submissive politics of apology, which an uncritical acceptance of the American Dream demands."
So feel your anger. Rage when necessary. Don't apologize. Don't be submissive. Don't be afraid that what you experience is yours alone. It's not. There are others out there who are feeling exactly what you're feeling, but you'll never know if you don't speak out, stand up, and be known.
As for the Asians in Asia, the Vietnamese in Vietnam, I don't expect them to necessarily understand the experiences of Vietnamese or Asian Americans or other minorities. Not that they can't, but for many of them, they are the majority in their countries. Like white people in the USA, they need to recognize their own privilege and power. Otherwise they won't understand what being a "minority" feels like, because they're very possibly the ones oppressing minorities in their own country.
tldr: fuck "Frank", don't be a "Frank"

Last edited:

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
If you have ever witnessed Vietnamese people fawning over a white person who can say a single word of Vietnamese, but will question the Vietnameseness of any Vietnamese American who makes a single mistake when speaking the language, you know what I'm talking about.

You see this shit in the youtube comment section of most Vietnamese food or travel videos.

spider

CLANG
On Break
Oct 23, 2017
Australia
That article is very well written. Thank you for sharing it.

And, that was some righteous going off ! <3

Also, Dont be a Frank, geeez

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
As a white Scottish person I notice non-scots seem to be more knowledgeable and interested in Scotland history than anybody I know, recite lines from Rabbie Burns, call out famous figures and inventions.

And in turn that makes them least Scottish of all I guess.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
"I HAVE A <MINORITY> <RELATION>" is one of the most annoying things.

Also, what the fuck does Frank mean by, isn't Vietnamese OR American? Suck on a thorny dildo, Frank.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Viet kieu and proud of it. After going through the cycle of hatred/doubt/acceptance of it lol
Same here as a Filipino who moved to the states when I was three. It's been a wild ride and probably took longer to reach that point than expected.

Great article in breaking down the model minority stereotype and putting into words the overall sense of unease I've had since all this started.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
here's a question: would any white guy who moved to an Asian country, learned the language and married a person there be an Orientalist and or a Frank? Or is it specifically how Frank behaved that makes him an Orientalist?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
here's a question: would any white guy who moved to an Asian country, learned the language and married a person there be an Orientalist and or a Frank? Or is it specifically how Frank behaved that makes him an Orientalist?

I believe it's based off the attitudes and actions taken. I have a number of coworkers and friends living in Japan with Japanese spouses. None of them have behaved like Frank, so I do not consider them Orientalists.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
There's so much I can say on this topic, but I'm just too tired from trying to get through to people. It's just not worth it.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
We all know a Franks, whether we admit it or not. Frank is the former expat that came back with an Asian wife. He's the friend who brings up Thailand or 'yellow fever' one too many times. He's the gamer that only plays Japanese games cause their tastes align with the 'Asian aesthetic'.

I think the article and the rant bring up two points that I think is worth further discussion.

1) The Asian wife trope is similar, but not equivalent to the 'my black friend' trope to many Asian Americans. It's a way for somebody to claim authority for something they haven't really experienced or earned. It is also a way for people to shield themselves from criticism. There are people who use this trope pretty regularly on ERA who probably recognize why the black friend trope is so problematic, so perhaps reading this they might understand why the Asian wife trope is problematic as well.

2) Secondly is the notion that immigrants, especially recent immigrants (such as Asian/LatinX) are seen by people like Frank as both inauthentic representations of their base culture AND of American culture. Frank is tacitly admitting that in his worldview, people like the author simply doesn't belong. You're neither Mexican nor are you American. To the weeb, you are neither Japanese nor are you American. Satisfying the Franks of the world should never be an objective because they can't be satisfied. In his mind, frankly, he's the renaissance man. You're just the otaku, and he doesn't give a damn about what you think.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Frank is a racist shit mouth.

And the Da 5 Bloods review is pretty great. It's a kind of review I've never read before and speaks of something I'm not sure I could have thought of watching a Vietnam War film. I don't watch many but my ignorance absolutely shows.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Quick tip to check if your shit might be racist: imagine it happening to a white person. "Oh yeah, well my American girlfriend isn't like that! Maybe you should spend some time in America."

Seems absurd? Maybe think about that, then.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
This is a fantastic read, thank you for sharing this.
This fuckery is not limited to just Orientalists or Americans.
I've had idiots do that having spent vacations for like 2 weeks.

Most egregious example of the top of my head was a lady in a grocery store claim that me and my SO weren't speaking French because somehow she knows what French sounds like or some stupid shit like that.
I've got a dear friend called Franck so fuck Franck just not mine though.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now that's a murder if I've ever seen one. Fuck Frank.

I'm not Vietnamese or Asian, but as a second-gen immigrant, those last few paragraphs about authenticity speak to me.

yellowfury

Oct 27, 2017
Man fuck people like frank. I've had enough racist encounters with people who are married to Asians (I'm Asian) to know that they're using their spouse and their kids as shields for their racism.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
But somehow my 45 years in America is not equal to Frank's 12 years in Vietnam, but I guess his Vietnamese wife makes up for that. My parents always did say that Vietnamese women were the best.

LMAO

good read

Celestine

Oct 31, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah don't be a Frank. Frank is an asshole.

I've lived in Japan over half my life as a white person and consider myself more Japanese than American now, and it's always interesting to visit the US and see my Asian American friends who are very American but have certain knowledge of their heritage's respective Asian countries, sometimes limited, sometimes more in depth. They grew up ethnically Asian and that's something I'll never experience. They've always had their hat in the ring when I was completely apart growing up. I have experience living in Japan now and being culturally Japanese in a different way. It's just different, comparing apples to oranges. Asian Americans have a personal perspective that comes with a lifetime of being Asian. I can't imagine trying to lord it over them arguing about Asianness. To be honest, that seems like a very white American thing to do in the first place.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
When someone is busting out Edward Said quotes on another person, you know that person is getting smacked the fuck down.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We have some Franks on ERA too, who try to speak for or down on Asian people because they have an Asian gf.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
Great read, happen too often. What Frank doesn't realize is the undertone of being Vietnamese American or those born/left Vietnam. Hundreds of thousands or millions of Vietnamese didn't choose to leave, they had to leave. They were refugees. Vietnam is a bittersweet memory for a lot of us. They took what part of their culture and life with them. As a Vietnamese that grew up mostly in the US, I love to visit, but it's not what define us anymore.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Happens in this forum all the time. "My wife/gf is Japanese/Chinese and..."

Isn't that one of the reasons Asian Era moved to Discord?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Asian Americans Are Still Caught in the Trap of the 'Model Minority' Stereotype. And It Creates Inequality for All"

time.com

Asian Americans Are Still Caught in the Trap of the ‘Model Minority’ Stereotype. And It Creates Inequality for All

Asian Americans have embraced a country that passed a law to keep them out

tldr: fuck "Frank", don't be a "Frank"

this is also a great article on how Asian Americans are experiencing a version of white flight.

psmag.com

Ghosts of White People Past: Witnessing White Flight From an Asian Ethnoburb

If diversity is so important to liberal whites, why do they keep fleeing ethnically diverse suburbia?

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
We have some Franks on ERA too, who try to speak for or down on Asian people because they have an Asian gf.

I remember there was a thread from a few years ago where I saw something like this happened. Who knows it might have been GAF instead. In the end it turned out to be a misunderstanding but it was a white guy who decided to chime in on the topic using his GF's perspective. It didn't go well.

He talked to his GF about it who then checked exactly what he said and how people responded and told him that what he said was incorrect or misinterpreted. So he came back to clarify what she actually said lol. I think we pretty much ended it by telling him to not use his GF to speak on behalf of her or Asian people in general.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I mean... this shit happens here. Most of Asian-Era left for many reasons and this is one of them.

I was curious about what happened to the Asian community here. I'm half Asian so I would check to see what the community was doing from time to time early on in the site. But I kept to gaming side for a long while because reading off topic can be depressing at times. I started posting back on off topic recently but came to discover that the Asian community was mostly gone. I wondered why but then that Min Min Smash Bros thread kinda game me an inkling as to why.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
this is also a great article on how Asian Americans are experiencing a version of white flight.

psmag.com

Ghosts of White People Past: Witnessing White Flight From an Asian Ethnoburb

If diversity is so important to liberal whites, why do they keep fleeing ethnically diverse suburbia?

It's only useful when WE'RE the ones on top...... Until someone else beats us or raises the stakes then let's just pack it up and leave lol. What a bunch of losers.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I was curious about what happened to the Asian community here. I'm half Asian so I would check to see what the community was doing from time to time early on in the site. But I kept to gaming side for a long while because reading off topic can be depressing at times. I started posting back on off topic recently but came to discover that the Asian community was mostly gone. I wondered why but then that Min Min Smash Bros thread kinda game me an inkling as to why.

Discord is a bit more active, but it's also harder to "vet" people since in a chatroom setting people can let their guard down and be a bit more chatty about personal lives than they would otherwise be. Sucks in the sense that it becomes a bit insular out of necessity. I see a lot of AsianERA in this thread though :D

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
It's only useful when WE'RE the ones on top...... Until someone else beats us or raises the stakes then let's just pack it up and leave lol. What a bunch of losers.
More and more it feels like it's a lot of fear of actually having to compete with minorities while also having some fear of even having minorities near them. It's really crazy to see how either way you can't win as a minority.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
More and more it feels like it's a lot of fear of actually having to compete with minorities while also having some fear of even having minorities near them. It's really crazy to see how either way you can't win as a minority.

You're right that it's becoming more and more of a fear of actually having to compete with minorities. Yeah you can't win either way, sadly.