• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Sorry to be nofunallowed.jpg on NYE and I don't know what the laws are in other neck of the woods (do tell), but here in Sweden every asshole who can get their hands on pyrotechnics can do so.

And that results in them aiming at people at the squares during midnight, cops are getting shot at during incidents, big firework "cakes" being placed in the middle of the street and of course cats and dogs being scared shitless.

They've introduced new regulations this year for specific types of fireworks that require education but A. That education is expensive, and B. Police already estimate that people won't abide by it. No one gives a shit.

So no, full ban, I'd say. Do something else fun. A nearby city has offered a free laser show in previous years, seems better for everyone including pets.

Osan912

Avenger
Sep 22, 2018
Didn't we have a thread round July 4th with this exact title? No fun allowed indeed.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Today I am learning that fireworks are extremely common on New Year's Eve in most of the world except the United States.

I don't know how I never picked up on this before now. :O

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
I agree OP. As someone who has hyperacusis, also as someone who knows how terrible they can be for ex veterans.

Although organized events don't bother me much, I mostly have a problem with every drunk Joe using them in the backyards...

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
In my old neighborhood people would shoot guns in the air on New Year's Eve. Fireworks aren't my thing anymore, but after dealing with that madness Ii don't mind some booms that I know won't result in a bullet hitting me.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I would understand if it happened once a week but it's literally once a year. You can handle one day so that a lot of people can have fun. I have a lot of good memories from childhood shooting fireworks with my brother and father.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's pretty obnoxious but in the States we've gotten used to it on NYE and July 4th. What's awful is when people continue shooting them off until like 3 in the morning.

This year we had to deal with one or two families shooting off super loud cannon fireworks until past 1 AM for Christmas Eve because apparently that's a Latin tradition that they've decided to suddenly take up, so the entire neighborhood was pretty annoyed.

"Santa's at war, kids! Sorry!"

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I would understand if it happened once a week but it's literally once a year. You can handle one day so that a lot of people can have fun. I have a lot of good memories from childhood shooting fireworks with my brother and father.

The problem is that in a lot of places, it's more than one day. It's the weeks leading to the holidays as well.

I've been hearing them almost every night since Christmas.

Stainless

Feb 26, 2018
Nashville,TN
It's typically ok in my area (just a little SE of Nashville, TN) but there are occasionally a few years where they're firing them off several days ahead of time and then they're still firing off their leftovers 2 or 3 days after the holiday and it is pretty annoying when it's 1am or whatever and I have to get up for work at 5am.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that in a lot of places, it's more than one day. It's the weeks leading to the holidays as well.

Well in that case. Here it probably helps that they start to sell fireworks only 5 days before new years eve. Rest of the year you need special permission to buy fireworks and you can't even get them from normal retail stores.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I was a kid, my neighbor's house was burned down from a falling firework that another neighbor had shot off.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
This is how The Purge was pitched. Also, fuck fireworks.

The Purge is fiction, and if you're equating legalized murder, rape, assault, etc. to being allowed to set off some bottle rockets, you need your head checked. Put some earplugs in and watch TV or something. The world doesn't revolve around you.

Zach

Oct 25, 2017
I hate them because I love my dog. I get some trazodone every once in a while from the vet for nights like these. It helps and is inexpensive, so I recommend it.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Said this recently. My dog gets terrified of them. People around me only light up shit that's basically explosions. Having grown up rough neighborhoods, it's hard to not think they're gunshots for me.

So yeah, fuck your fireworks.

Oct 27, 2017
Yay fireworks. Whoosh! Boom! Sssssssssizzle! Etc.

I have no real issues with them, although I would prefer if everyone set them off around midnight tonight, rather a load of stragglers setting them off at 3am.

Mind you, it's not fireworks fault your dog is too dumb to understand what they are and gets scared.

/s

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't we have a thread round July 4th with this exact title? No fun allowed indeed.
People on this board really hate fireworks

www.resetera.com

Are you in favor of banning (private) fireworks for New Years?

With each passing year you seem to hear more and more people calling for a ban on fireworks for various reasons and cities around the world start implementing them (at least partially). Especially in Sydney this topic is hotly (no pun intended) debated this year, because of the raging bush...
www.resetera.com

I really, really hate fireworks

I think they should all be thanos snapped away....all of them, forever. There is no point to them at all. People fucking doing this shit every night the whole summer, they are loud, obnoxious, startling, make dogs start going crazy...they just fucking suck.
www.resetera.com

Old man rant: Fireworks are stupid and should be banned*

* from use by the general public I’m from the Netherlands and every year it’s the same old shit. People are allowed to use fireworks from 18.00 to 02.00 on New Year’s Eve and that goes as well as you might expect on a day that people drink excessively. This year it has resulted in two...
www.resetera.com

Can people shove up fireworks up their ass?

What the fuck is the point aside being a loud asshole, we cannot even chill in peace. Just fuck off.

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
love shooting off fire works, i say keep them, make em louder, make em brighter, make em longer

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't lit any off in a long time but I don't really mind if people do. My old neighborhood had police patrol it and stop people from lighting them off but that didn't help so much as people just ignored it hoping the cops wouldn't come there.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Ehhh. It's fine. Just do it safely. I have two little guys left from 4th of July. So I'll be doing my part!
And yeah, it's common in the US as well. Hell, I probably hear them no matter the holiday here lmao

My beagle don't care. My cat cares even less. Now my last dog? She would go crayyyzayyy! But I live in the city so we're all used to this shit until like 3am sometimes later lol

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't even care about fireworks, but a new years without fireworks is not a new years at all.

let people have their fun.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
In Canada the laws around fireworks are pretty strict so it is not really an issue here.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
They're technically illegal where I live but it seems like it's poorly enforced. People sell fireworks in the weeks leading up to the 4th of July and New Year's openly and shoot them off with no trouble.

Doubt all these fireworks and people trying to one up each other are good for the environment. Certainly not good for the air quality as I've seen smog get really bad as the night goes on.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Purge is fiction, and if you're equating legalized murder, rape, assault, etc. to being allowed to set off some bottle rockets, you need your head checked. Put some earplugs in and watch TV or something. The world doesn't revolve around you.

The world DOES revolve around me.

Everything revolves around me.

EveryONE revolves around me.

EVERY. ONE.

giphy.gif

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hate them because I love my dog. I get some trazodone every once in a while from the vet for nights like these. It helps and is inexpensive, so I recommend it.
This is my reason also. My poor guy shakes in terror and cries when he hears them. I haven't used a firework since I got him almost 3 years ago.

Antagon

Nov 4, 2017

If it was just that it would be fine. However where I live all trashcans are closed off, mailboxes are removed, etc. Anything not closed off has the chance of being blown up. And the days after you have to be careful with your kids because of trash including fireworks that did not go off are all over the streets.

In the past I've literally filled up half a dozen large trash bags with firework leftovers that were legt in the street right in front of the house.

Somehow, it seems to turn a lot of people into assholes.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It's raining here so no fireworks today. Will have to do them on a day it's not raining. 😔

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Fireworks are awesome and I love going to see them every year. Dickheads that light fireworks without consideration for their surroundings are not. They should be used only when they dont pose any danger to others.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, but not everyone behaves like shit. I put on my safety goggles and fire my fireworks safely.

Sounds like your police needs to do something, water cannons?

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Pay back time to all the fucking seagulls that live on top of my building and are shagging all night in the summer.

Seriously tho it's not so much a problem where I stay so I like fireworks.

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
i hate them despite how pretty they are.
they end up as trash littered everywhere.
they scare the shit out of local animals.

they suck.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Berlin started to bann fireworks from certain places. Young people use them more and more to play war and shoot rockets and fireworks into other groups of people. Also on law enforcement and paramedics.
Specially in districts with social problems.
Posted in older threads and in german but you get the "atmosphere" (NYE in Berlin , Neukölln):

Big discussion in whole Germany. Not only because of safety but also environmental issues.

Just read a German article with people proudly stating that they burn 3000€ fireworks every year. He's happy though ...

screenshot_2019-12-31dcje2.jpg

But Fireworks on NYE is something almost holy for Germans though. Same drama as recent speed limit discussion on Autobahn (which i don't want lol).

Last edited: