• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I can't believe Columbus Day is still a thing where I'm from, celebrating a man who came and robbed the land, introduced diseases and raped the women of my ancestors. (Sorry just had a kinda mini rant of my mind).

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
User Banned (2 Weeks): Derailing a thread about historical atrocities
Home Alone 2 wasn't that bad

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah he was kind of a shit in Ghostbusters 2

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Home Alone 2 wasn't that bad
200.gif

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
yo dude, we can get to China easy peasy, yo. just gimme some slack and i can get you dat silk, fam.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Harry Potter 1 was the worst of the series

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still remember being taught about him in school. They painted a really positive picture of him.

Then I learnt about him myself. Fuck Columbus.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Naw it's on me I guess I should have been more detailed , I was watching a documentary on him recently and him and his ilk were human trash and to think his name is still part of our national anthem disgusts me.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah outside the US it's just "that guy who discovered americas", there's no hyping him up. Maybe they do in spanish schools?
Columbus' Italian, actually

There's no hyping of him. You're told the story of the caravels, then generally the fact that he was a evil slaver for a while, and that's basically it

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah outside the US it's just "that guy who discovered americas", there's no hyping him up. Maybe they do in spanish schools?
We study him, but not really in a fantastic light. He's just context for what the crown did around those days.

We study Magallanes and Elcano way more, given they were the first ones to complete a trip around the globe.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, I thought today was Columbus Day because time has lost all meaning. Don't scare me like that...

Anyway, yeah Chris Columbus fuckin sucks and should not be celebrated at all.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
In my country's school system we were just briefly taught about him, mostly just that he "discovered" the Carribean and some parts of Central and South America, and a single mention that he was a brutal tyrant

Only ever learnt the full extent of everything he did later in my life

Really don't understand how people can justify celebrating Columbus Day

Proper respect

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The OP expresses pain about the atrocities their ancestors faced. Coming into this thread and derailing it with pop culture references of people or characters with similar names is highly inappropriate for such a grave and serious subject. Treat it with the respect it deserves.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's bizarre how this guy is somehow celebrated in the US, his considerable atrocities swept under the rug, or how his crimes went entirely unmentioned during my world history classes in school. I wonder if my teachers even knew.

His crimes against enslaved indigenous people were so severe that he was imprisoned for them back in the 15th century.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017

It's pretty much an unofficial "Italian American heritage day" in the US.

Last edited:

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
It's weird because in the US we learn about how shitty Cortez was but then Columbus gets a pass. It's like Mexico is allowed to have the awful explorer map it out but we have to lie to ourselves about Columbus's character and just overall competency because we're America. I mean if nothing else wasn't Columbus just an idiot who literally believed old world ideas over the prevailing thought of academics at the time? Things like going west was a shorter path to Asia was already thought not to be true.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017
I still remember being taught about him in school. They painted a really positive picture of him.

Then I learnt about him myself. Fuck Columbus.
Yeah really makes you think how much bullshit you were fed in public school. It's crazy how many atrocities they sugar coated. I'm glad that the truth of Columbus has slowly but surely come to the forefront. I don't know how they handle it in schools now but I hope if they cover it they just tell the truth.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Never did the discovery and founding of America in the UK, was just known as the dude sponsored by Spain to explore the place. How much of a shit he was I learnt from people lamenting Colombus day was a thing. I get that you hate people celebrating a monster, it's the same for me and Cromwell supporters.

It's bizarre how this guy is somehow celebrated in the US, his considerable atrocities swept under the rug, or how his crimes went entirely unmentioned during my world history classes in school. I wonder if my teachers even knew.

His crimes against enslaved indigenous people were so severe that he was imprisoned for them back in the 15th century.

He was exonerated by the crown and allowed to do another voyage so he really didn't get his comeuppance.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
There's a statue in Boston of him still. I'd like it to get torn down, the American locals disagree tho.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
No Colombus Day here. We studied him in history because we're in the Caribbean, but that's about it. No mention of his crimes either but thats european history manuals for ya.

Funny that even at the times, they threw him in jail for his atrocities (and he could do a 4th trip nonetheless after this, even no longer at a position of power).

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
Is there segment of the population that actually still holds him in high regard? There are so many more people deserving of a holiday in their names than someone who's known to have committed atrocities as Columbus was.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Also known as that "money grabbing bastard" that went to work for "nuestros hermanos " over here lol

I do find odd how/why the US celebrates him (didn't he land in the Caribbean?) as well as the countries that are now in those areas. I know that Brazil also talks about Pedro Álvares Cabral (dude who found/claimed that land for Portugal) but they mostly celebrate Dom Pedro I , the prince who became Emperor and gave them freedom/independence.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
How about how people still defend him? Usually with whataboutism or downright racist statements like "he brought civilization to the Americas".

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

I'm not American but I remember reading my school textbook and other locally published books talking about how he was brave and discovered American. This shit spread everywhere by proxy.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Can't remember if his personal atrocities were mentioned in my German history classes, it was more about pain and suffering that Europe brought in general after Columbus discovered the Americas.

Learning History in German schools always is a bit one-sided when it comes to western nations. We spent two years basically on WW1 and WW2, focussing heavily on our own atrocities but barely got we into the crimes of other western nations. Colonization crimes were featured but again, focussing more on Germany.

The "real" history I had to learn by myself.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Is there segment of the population that actually still holds him in high regard? There are so many more people deserving of a holiday in their names than someone who's known to have committed atrocities as Columbus was.
Columbus has always been big with the Italian-American community. I think they're the main reason we have the holiday at all.