• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
www.cnn.com

Greater Idaho: Rural conservatives in Oregon look to join Idaho | CNN Politics

Some residents in Oregon are fed up with living under Democratic control of their state government and have launched a ballot initiative campaign to join Republican-led Idaho.

Screenshot_20200219-072934.png

Some residents in Oregon are fed up with living under Democratic control of their state government and have launched a ballot initiative campaign to join Republican-led Idaho.

The movement, known as "Move Oregon's Border for a Greater Idaho," is hoping to expand the borders of the Gem State through the inclusion of more than a dozen bordering rural counties now in Oregon.

"Rural counties have become increasingly outraged by laws coming out of the Oregon Legislature that threaten our livelihoods, our industries, our wallet, our gun rights, and our values," Mike McCarter, one of the chief petitioners of the movement, wrote on the website for the Greater Idaho movement.

"We tried voting those legislators out, but rural Oregon is outnumbered and our voices are now ignored. This is our last resort," McCarter added.

People trying to break up their states isn't anything really new and very unlikely to happen, but I found this amusing.

Aug 12, 2019
Is there a reason they don't just move to Idaho (I understand that's not financially feasible to everyone of course and people like to keep their land), but like, Idaho is right there and has like plenty of unused and undeveloped land.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I know it will never happen, but keep these people out of Idaho. We don't need to be more red. Plus, if Ontario becomes part of Idaho, I have to drive a lot further for weed.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I live in Louisville KY and I wish we could secede from the state, so I get the sentiment.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
Someone should tell them how it feels to live in the liberal city in a red state.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just extend it up through Canada while you are at it.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Support proportional representation rather than trying to gerrymander yourself a majority
So typical of conservatives to be mad at a bad thing and then totally fuck up the response

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I remember this being a big deal in Illinois when I lived there. Mostly everywhere outside Chicagoland hates Chicagoland. I do appreciate the fact they acknowledge they're outnumbered and frankly inconsequential so they wanna take their ball and go home.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Join Ohio and turn that fucker back blue. KY is a lost cause basically everywhere else anyway.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Louisville is welcome in Ohio. Here in NE Ohio, there's really nowhere we can merge with. Pennsylvania is turning redder though not as bad as Ohio. I wish we could bypass them and merge with New York.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm born and raised in Oregon and I've been thinking a lot lately about how to build bridges between our more urban and more rural communities. The left has deeply failed rural people, but of course so has the right. I'd love to see progressives take rural issues more seriously and try to form alliances across bread and butter issues.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
In 1857, the Oregon Territory proposed a state constitution banning black people from entering, residing, or acquiring property. In 1859 Oregon became the only state to enter the Union with such an exclusion clause.[1]

In the 1920s, Oregon had the largest Ku Klux Klan (KKK) membership per capita in the United States.[2] KKK member Walter M. Pierce was elected governor in 1922.[3]

Oregon did not ratify the Fifteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, which prohibited the federal and state governments from denying a citizen the right to vote based on their color or race, until 1959.[3]

Just needs to be mentioned

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Brilliant. We can put all the Republicans into one mega state so they only have two Senate seats.

Doesn't change anything in the Senate. Both states would have the same number of Senators. Congressional seats maybe, but I would guess redistricting would make it a wash as far as the number of blue/red seats In Congress are concerned.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
rural IL wants to divide IL up to chicago area, and then below that its own state... same ridiculousness

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Eastern Washington is always threatening to leave the state for similar reasons.

Just so long as Bend is safe I'm good.

It's funny how they drew a hardline all around Bend, like they didn't want it.

I can't imagine Idaho is very thrilled about this. The areas of Oregon that want to leave aren't generating lots of money and would rely on existing tax dollars from Idaho for a lot of their services.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I would agree to this if we can admit Puerto Rico to the Union, grant DC proportional voting rights in the House and Senate, and/or combine North and South Dakota.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I can't help but notice they want to take a bite out of California as well

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If you're planning to secede across the river, Indiana's not much better.
Definitely not. I was thinking we could join up with Lexington like Torpedo Vegas mentioned (we'd need to convince so rural corridor counties that connect the two to come with us though) and just start a new state.

Name ideas for the new state?

New Kentucky
Nakaala (this region used to be Shawnee so I looked up Shawnee words and this is their word for 'leave' which makes sense and is a cool state name)
Wester Virginia
Louingtonexiville
Clay (after two famous Clays from Kentucky history, Henry and Cassius)

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not. I was thinking we could join up with Lexington like Torpedo Vegas mentioned (we'd need to convince so rural corridor counties that connect the two to come with us though) and just start a new state.

Name ideas for the new state?

New Kentucky
Nakaala (this region used to be Shawnee so I looked up Shawnee words and this is their word for 'leave' which makes sense and is a cool state name)
Wester Virginia
Louingtonexiville
Clay (after two famous Clays from Kentucky history, Henry and Cassius)
How about we join forces and add Indianapolis and Bloomington to the new state and just become the real Kentuckiana.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How bout we divide all states up, but give proportional population representation federally. It'll be great.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
"frustrated rural oregonians really into vore"

but yeah anyway, as someone who lives in a deep red state, I get the frustration over not feeling represented by your state government. Ultimately though this is just a few outliers who decided to put a small campaign together and the ridiculousness of it all caught on with entertainment media. Kind of the equivalent of blowing up some issue because one or two people decided to tweet about it (see "woke DOOM")

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
"Rural counties have become increasingly outraged by laws coming out of the Oregon Legislature that threaten our livelihoods, our industries, our wallet, our gun rights, and our values,"

I wonder what they're mad about, specifically. The article only mentions one "cap and trade" climate bill for lowering emissions. That sort of thing might cover "livelihoods, industries", and "wallets". I can sympathize a little, but it's necessary.

As for "gun rights" and "values": I highly doubt they have any trouble buying guns, so they can shut the fuck up. And I can guess what "values" means, and they can fuck right off with that, too.

If the whole country could be like this: sensible people outnumbering and "oppressing" the ignorant, hateful conservatives, it would be a massive improvement to the country, and the entire world.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm for it. Same with Eastern Washington. Go away, Eastern Washington, no one wants you.

Go ahead and join them. They'll be part of Cascadia soon enough.

cascadia-map.png

Only if everyone in Idaho moves to Montana.

However, I don't get why BC would want to leave Canada at this point, though I would love to be in an Ecotopia with them.

I think about Cascadia all the time and how we could have a bi-cameral legislative body with one of the houses of that body being purely made up of First Nations/Indigenous Americans who will have the right to adjust or kill legislation based on if it's good for their home that everyone else stole from them.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure why Idaho would want them. It wouldn't add significantly to their representative count, it wouldn't add significant to their tax base, and it would introduce a bunch of hard to serve areas to their infrastructure needs.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Republicans here bitch and moan all the time about Kate Brown and the "Portland liberals" making all the decisions. They constantly flex their infinite wisdom by looking at a map full of red counties with barely any people In the them and say "See??? How is this fair?!" They think land votes, or something. It's bizarre.

There's been a contingent of people advocating for a "State of Jefferson" for a while now. This is no different. Just rural republican dinguses doing what they do best. I hope this actually gets on the ballot so I can see how badly it will be defeated.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Republicans here bitch and moan all the time about Kate Brown and the "Portland liberals" making all the decisions. They constantly flex their infinite wisdom by looking at a map full of red counties with barely any people In the them and say "See??? How is this fair?!" They think land votes, or something. It's bizarre.

There's been a contingent of people advocating for a "State of Jefferson" for a while now. This is no different. Just rural republican dinguses doing what they do best. I hope this actually gets on the ballot so I can see how badly it will be defeated.

That's because they're fucking idiots.

I'm stuck in northeastern California dealing with the same level of dipshits that was to form Jefferson as well.

Can't wait until I'm fucking out of here and can get away from these dumbasses.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
As much as Oregon would love to be rid of the burden of supporting these rural towns that have no net contribution to the state's economy, these sorts of proposals are always DOA and they only get reported on because it is fun to look at dumbass maps like the one these guys drew up where Idaho gets to have a coastline.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
What are the odds that this is just another fraud perpetrated by russian money like Calexit was?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This is like when northeastern Colorado was attempting to breakoff from the rest of the state lol