• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, older man, high-school girl things are way too common a trope in Anime. And it seems to be fairly common in Shoujo.

Fruits Basket
Card Captor Sakura
Utena
Sailor Moon

He's 26
She's 17
😬

Not even the worse age gap in this series 😂 🤮
Which couple are you talking about?

Kyoko and Katsuya weren't that far apart in age I don't think. It just started when she was younger.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, older man, high-school girl things are way too common a trope in Anime. And it seems to be fairly common in Shoujo.

Fruits Basket
Card Captor Sakura
Utena
Sailor Moon

Which couple are you talking about?

Kyoko and Katsuya weren't that far apart in age I don't think. It just started when she was younger.
Definitely Kyoko and Katsuya. She was 15 and he was 24. At the latest she got married at 16. It's the worst part of furuba but it also gives us something you don't see often in manga/anime; a teenage single mum.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Kyoko and Katsuya. She was 15 and he was 24. At the latest she got married at 16. It's the worst part of furuba but it also gives us something you don't see often in manga/anime; a teenage single mum.

He was 25 when he died (or so the Fruits Basket wiki says), so he would have only been 22 when Tohru was born.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
He was 25 when he died (or so the Fruits Basket wiki says), so he would have only been 22 when Tohru was born.
The wiki is wrong. There was a 9 year difference between Kyoko and Katsuya, it's mentioned a number of times in the manga and they've said it in the anime in the first Uo and Kureno episode. So if they meet when she was in the last year of middle school that makes her 15 and him 24. Tohru is 4 at the most when he dies leaving Kyoko 19/20 and Katsuya 29/30

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
It's been bugging me for a bit what the new ED reminds me of. Not the music, but the art cards and art style.

I haven't thought about this series in years. I remember watching the anime on traded, VHS fansubs.

The wiki is wrong. There was a 9 year difference between Kyoko and Katsuya, it's mentioned a number of times in the manga and they've said it in the anime in the first Uo and Kureno episode. So if they meet when she was in the last year of middle school that makes her 15 and him 24. Tohru is 4 at the most when he dies leaving Kyoko 19/20 and Katsuya 29/30

Wonder where the wiki ages came from then.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
The only major thing about this series I don't like is that Akito gets a happy ending. Shigure and Akito never came off well as a couple to me. They pair off every Zodiac member (except Momiji if I remember right) with someone at the end of the series, and even the ones that come out of nowhere feel more genuine than Shigure and Akito.

Another part might be me associaing the character with Akio from Utena due to the simmilar names, and them both being manipulative, abusing assholes. I kind of wanted Akito to just be left behind at the end like Akio.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember if Yuki's backstory had all those appearances by younger zodiac members in the Manga. I don't remember ever seeing young Ritsu (and him looking pretty much just like Kisa)

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I love how with one flashback episode, the entire series gains a new perspective. Every scene hinted at in season 1 and continuing into this season just comes into focus perfectly. I love this show and I love Yuki.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
The only major thing about this series I don't like is that Akito gets a happy ending. Shigure and Akito never came off well as a couple to me. They pair off every Zodiac member (except Momiji if I remember right) with someone at the end of the series, and even the ones that come out of nowhere feel more genuine than Shigure and Akito.

Another part might be me associaing the character with Akio from Utena due to the simmilar names, and them both being manipulative, abusing assholes. I kind of wanted Akito to just be left behind at the end like Akio.
This is how I felt back when I read it as a teenager. I get that it's supposed to ultimately a positive story about overcoming abuse and moving forward with forgiveness, but it felt like Akito actions were too easily dismissed. But I was also much angrier as a teenager so I might feel differently if I were to read/watch it now. I'm still on the fence of doing that though because despite the happy endings, it's an emotionally difficult story for me to get through. :( I'm really glad that they are adapting the full manga though and people get the chance to see completely it in this form.

Last edited:

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
It opened a huge question for me though...

"Like a mother"
Go on...
👀

This is how I felt back when I read it as a teenager. I get that it's supposed to ultimately a positive story about overcoming abuse and moving forward with forgiveness, but it felt like Akito actions were too easily dismissed. But I was also much angrier as a teenager so I might feel differently if I were to read/watch it now. I'm still on the fence of doing that though because despite the happy endings, it's an emotionally difficult story for me to get through. :( I'm really glad that they are adapting the full manga though and people get the chance to see completely it in this form.

I was thinking about how Yuki handles it. He says that he forgives Akito and moves on with his life. Like Akito doesn't matter any more to him. Then you have someone like Rin who never forgives Akito. I like the varying contrasts between the characters. Ultimately it's about not letting past trauma dictate your life but that doesn't necessarily mean forgiveness.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about how Yuki handles it. He says that he forgives Akito and moves on with his life. Like Akito doesn't matter any more to him. Then you have someone like Rin who never forgives Akito. I like the varying contrasts between the characters. Ultimately it's about not letting past trauma dictate your life but that doesn't necessarily mean forgiveness.
Yeah, that's a good way of putting it. I don't remember the diversity of reactions to Akito at the end, so maybe I just zeroed in on just a few. I honestly don't remember much beyond just the feelings. :/

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
It's the same way in the manga, once Yuki became student council president...

And Machi shows up, any real hint of a love triangle is dropped.
I personally love Machi and think she complements Yuki nicely so it's always disappointing when people say she was forced into a relationship with him.

Jun 17, 2019
Can't wait till a certain someone ahows up and really gives new viewers an added reason to hate Shigure.

What's interesting in Fruit's Basket Another is that Akito pretty much avoids the members of the Zodiac a lot. I know Rin has not forgiven her at least according to her son. It brings out the better sides of Akito.

Also the author is a fan of May/December romances.

Also I recall that in an interview a long time ago she had indicated that had Akito been a male she probably would have had Tohoru end up with Akito.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Predictions for the remaining 4 episodes of the season
Next week: Finishing off Yuki's story and rehearsals
23: The play
24: Beginning Kyoko backstory
25: Finishing Kyoko's backstory and cliffhanger with Kyo being there when she died

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
These recent episodes are giving me the same feelings I had reading the manga.

Those feeling being "ok, enough with the Yuki stories"

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Predictions for the remaining 4 episodes of the season
Next week: Finishing off Yuki's story and rehearsals
23: The play
24: Beginning Kyoko backstory
25: Finishing Kyoko's backstory and cliffhanger with Kyo being there when she died

Looks like they're not going to make it that far. And that happened later in the manga anyways, didn't it? I'm thinking they're going to end it with Kureno's story.

The revelation that the curse can and has been broken will be a good tease to end a season on, and they hinted at it a bit in today's episode too.

Yuki is the the main character along with Tohru, though.

More cat, less rat.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Looks like they're not going to make it that far. And that happened later in the manga anyways, didn't it? I'm thinking they're going to end it with Kureno's story.

The revelation that the curse can and has been broken will be a good tease to end a season on, and they hinted at it a bit in today's episode too.

More cat, less rat.
Nah that flashback is chronologically right after the play. We swapped chapters.

Next season will be Kyo and you'll get your fix them 😁

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Anyone know the timetable for when English dub episodes hit Funimation Now? I'm up to Episode 14 in Season 2 and am looking forward to more!

Also, am I right to be under the impression from lightly skimming this thread that there will indeed be a third season? Thanks!

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Anyone know the timetable for when English dub episodes hit Funimation Now? I'm up to Episode 14 in Season 2 and am looking forward to more!

Also, am I right to be under the impression from lightly skimming this thread that there will indeed be a third season? Thanks!
I think it's every 2 weeks a dub is released. And yes, there's 100% a third season.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe they ended Season 2 right there. That's a hell of a thing to drop for anime-onlys right at the end.

Kureno's curse already being broken was the main thing throughout this episode, but the very end was the reveal that Akito is a girl

Also, the final season has been announced for 2021.

www.animenewsnetwork.com

Fruits Basket Anime Gets 'Final' Season in 2021

2nd season concluded on Tuesday // The 25th and final episode of the Fruits Basket 2nd Season anime announced on Tuesday that a new season titled Fruits Basket...

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
After watching the episode today, question to new viewers...

I don't know if it's because I read the manga years ago, or if it's because it's 2020, but it doesn't seem like a big deal to me what Akito is. Is it a big deal to people who didn't know or hadn't figured it out?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe they ended Season 2 right there. That's a hell of a thing to drop for anime-onlys right at the end.

Kureno's curse already being broken was the main thing throughout this episode, but the very end was the reveal that Akito is a girl

Also, the final season has been announced for 2021.

www.animenewsnetwork.com

Fruits Basket Anime Gets 'Final' Season in 2021

2nd season concluded on Tuesday // The 25th and final episode of the Fruits Basket 2nd Season anime announced on Tuesday that a new season titled Fruits Basket...

I feel bad for not having that in my season ending prediction, because that's a really obvious thing to end on.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
Well, a lot of things make sense now. I think I always knew, but everytime I thought it the shots didn't back it up.

Last edited:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to know if new viewers caught any foreshadowing to the revelation, because much like in the Manga, I didn't think there was much.

Akito brutally beat any women who came between her and the male zodiac members, but she also is violent towards the male members as well.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to know if new viewers caught any foreshadowing to the revelation, because much like in the Manga, I didn't think there was much.

Akito brutally beat any women who came between her and the male zodiac members, but she also is violent towards the male members as well.

It clicked once I knew.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
I always had my suspicions about that final reveal but brushed it off. In a way, it's a little disappointing but at the same time the alternative would have been problematic had it not been handled correctly. In a way, I'm....relieved?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Was that final reveal bigger in the manga? Or is it something everyone pretty much assumed?

Its done pretty much the same way if I remember right. In the end its a revelation, but not really a big bombshell. Her gender isn't really the defining part of her character, it's that she's a giant, abusive asshole.

Minor, non-specific spoilers.
Gender does come into it more when we learn her backstory, but for where we are in the story now, it isn't as big a deal. And it really is used more to explain her behavior toward other zodiac members.

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
Its done pretty much the same way if I remember right. In the end its a revelation, but not really a big bombshell. Her gender isn't really the defining part of her character, it's that she's a giant, abusive asshole.

Minor, non-specific spoilers.
Gender does come into it more when we learn her backstory, but for where we are in the story now, it isn't as big a deal.
This is probably obvious, but when Yuki mentioned how she one day changed suddenly, was it because of Kureno?