• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Frozen just feels fraught with development issues. The song padding in the beginning is atrocious, and the plotting and characterization is a bit tepid, like they didn't know a direction to go in regarding Elsa (boo on them for being cowards and not making her a villain). It is, ultimately, a serviceable film that is carried more by pop culture permeation than its own real merits.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
It's obvious the movie suffered from a long development history but the product itself is all well and good to me. I think I like the sequel more tbh

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
I happened to see it a week before it released with a Q&A featuring the directors, so I was able to watch it before all the hype happened. I thought it was fantastic. I really think people would have felt differently about it if it wasn't plastered everywhere. Still really love it.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Frozen just feels fraught with development issues. The song padding in the beginning is atrocious, and the plotting and characterization is a bit tepid, like they didn't know a direction to go in regarding Elsa (boo on them for being cowards and not making her a villain). It is, ultimately, a serviceable film that is carried more by pop culture permeation than its own real merits.

Personally I think the result was better having Elsa not be the villain.

Basically all of the Disney films mentioned have development issues: Tangled and Moana had many rewrites (even complete changes in direction) as well and are uneven at points. I do think as a film Frozen (1) is fine, while I feel like Frozen 2 had major major plot holes/head scratching moments.

I also think if you take an adult's perspective on a lot of films we consider Disney classics, you'll see the same things.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Randomly saw it the other day for the first time and I acknowledge that its a perfectly good kids movie and I'm out of the target demographic
[...]
Some of the songs were nice and I'm assuming this is where a huge chunk of the appeal comes from.

The appeal is indeed mainly the well-developed female leads (not a given for Disney, especially at the time), and Idina Menzel singing one of the most memorable Disney songs. But it obviously aims at a more traditional Disney demographic than, say, Moana, or even Tangled.

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
i liked tangled more but this one got the songs we all heard to nauseating amounts in the past decade.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I haven't seen it, but I did see Frozen 2 and really didn't find it that interesting or exciting

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's weird how Let It Go was taken as this empowering song but the actual meaning of it is the opposite and dealing with your problems in an unhealthy way.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
I love it, watched it almost 30 times and it has a special place in my heart. F2's got great songs, but for me it lacks the charm of the first movie.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I think it's weird how Let It Go was taken as this empowering song but the actual meaning of it is the opposite and dealing with your problems in an unhealthy way.

Like Hakuna Matata for modern times?

I don't think it's necessarily saying to deal with your problems in an unhealthy way, though.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Like Hakuna Matata for modern times?

I don't think it's necessarily saying to deal with your problems in an unhealthy way, though.
She's running away and isolating herself to avoid conflict instead of trying to communicate. The song is ironic because she's really just doing what her parents made her do.

DrDarkStryfe

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
It was a fine movie, but I tend to also be on the "Tangled is better" bandwagon.

Doubt we will see a movie that had as crazy a desire for merchandise than Frozen did that first holiday it was out.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
She's running away and isolating herself to avoid conflict instead of trying to communicate. The song is ironic because she's really just doing what her parents made her do.

What is she going to communicate? Doesn't she run away because she lost her temper and almost killed the Duke or whoever? She goes off on her own and is basically happy because she's free to use her powers for the first time without hurting anyone, and she gains more control over them as a result. Of course she had no way of knowing that her outburst had cast an eternal winter or anything, and she had to go back and address it (and also Anna's injury).

It doesn't strike me as wanting people to be irresponsible and shirking their duties, but of not having the continual burden of being who other people want you to be all the time.

Then Frozen 2 shows us that she didn't even need to remain in Arrendale at all anyway.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Frozen has the best Disney/Pixar short film of all time. For that it boosts the film into good territory for me no matter what.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
I remember seeing it and theatres excited cause I loved Tangled so much, and i remember leaving pissed and annoyed. I get why people love it, i just hated it. And i hated the music.

OP
OP
Huncho_Houdini
Dec 31, 2017
I'm pretty sure the target audience for Frozen doesn't particularly overlap with the general ResetEra user.

Could be wrong tho

Well yes obviously but I'm more speaking to it being not only highly critically appraised but also such a huge pop culture phenomenon. I watched it out of boredom and with that bias in my head. From what everyone has mentioned, seems like the musical aspect had a huge role to play along with some subversion of the fairy tale tropes leading to an empowerment story. I can see that. I'm only surprised because I thought many other Disney and non-Disney movies were just better over the last 5-10 years.