• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
This kind of post gives me 2014-2015 vibes.

I don't think Frozen is overrated, I do think it's excessively hated because it's Walt Disney Animation Studios most popular property.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I dunno, I liked it and I would probably love it if I was 5 years old. It's a cute movie with fun songs.

Not the movie I would pick as the most overrated Disney movie tbh.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
The first one was good but the second one was a mess with terrible forgettable songs.

Oct 28, 2017
It was ok nothing more. Very disappointing considering the hype and considering it came out with the far superior Tangled still fresh in the mind.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't finish it, but I realise I'm not the target demographic. I tried Tangled as well and couldn't handle it, nor Pixar's Inside Out.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It's fine. It was for kids, kids loved it and "Let it go" hit it big with the target demographic. Did I think it was as amazing as everyone said it was? Not really, but that's fine. Toy Story 4 was the best animated film last year btw :P

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Always has been

This came out at the same time and was horribly snubbed:

817J4NQKkOL._AC_SX522_.jpg

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Overrated compared to what? It's popular enough that there was a backlash against it but it's still popular, and as far as sales/success go it's probably properly rated.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Horrifically overrated.

I'm still sour about the 20 minutes Frozen turd they put in front of CoCo because they thought CoCo was gonna bomb without it.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It suffers from the common Disney problem of having nothing below the surface. So its appeal is entirely based on how much the emotional beats resonate with you.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Frozen is THE Disney movie for this generation. It is their Aladdin/Lion King. Im suprised people in this thread are trying to say it is underrated. You cannot call it underrated by any stretch of the imagination.

My personal feelings are that it was a decent movie but not great as the Disney classics. The pacing was off and it just felt underwhelming. Let It Go however had smash hit written all over it. The song was undeniable.

I personally enjoyed The Princess and The Frog, Tangled and especially Moana far more, and all of those also had strong female leads that went against the grain. I think Moana is by far the best Disney movie of this generation and I really wish Moana received the same amount of love that Frozen received.

My older daughters who watched these movie when they came out loved Moana and only like Frozen. My youngest daughter has never seen any if these movies but she knows Anna and Elsa somehow.

But Frozen has positives. It was both traditional and modern. It had two princesses. It had a funny snowman. It had an undeniably appealing main song.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I watched Frozen for the first time and thought it was fantastic. A thoroughly enjoyable movie that just leaves you feeling good. I don't think it's fair to call children's properties overrated either, especially when you aren't exactly the target demographic.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Randomly saw it the other day for the first time and I acknowledge that its a perfectly good kids movie and I'm out of the target demographic, BUT overall I thought it was pretty underwhelming. I've always perceived it as being super popular and basically carrying the identity of the animated disney films from the last decade or so. The story was kind of underwhelming, the prince being a villain was weird, relationship between the sisters was underdeveloped etc.

Some of the songs were nice and I'm assuming this is where a huge chunk of the appeal comes from. And my boy Olaf was great. Either way it's still okay but I've heard it get so much praise but really doesn't hold a candle to the 90s disney films at all (Lion King, Aladdin) or a bunch of other recently released animated movies (Zootopia, Httyd, Coco).
Kids like shit things sometimes.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
It's okay. Tangled is better, and I'm just slightly peeved that Dude & Reindeer is pretty much just Dude & Horse again.

OP
OP
Huncho_Houdini
Dec 31, 2017
Last edited:

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It really resonated with young girls in a way that the other Disney animated films just can't quite achieve. My daughter likes all the recent Disney/Pixar movies, but Frozen stands on a pedestal of its own

viral

Oct 25, 2017
The songs carried it for me, I actually listened to some of them for a few weeks after watching the movie. I haven't seen 2 though and I don't really have any interest in it.

Oct 26, 2017
Been saying it since day one. The only good songs are "Do You Want to Build a Snow Man" and "Let it Go", but "Let it Go" might as well be a slightly related pop song that was thrown in there with how tenuous the lyrics are to the actual movie. Story wise I really don't remember much of anything outside of those parts, Olaf and the Prince twist.

Basically.

Wait, what? The lyrics are literally describing what's happening throughout the scene plus her mood, which are a result of what just happened at the coronation. It couldn't be more connected to the movie without quoting the screenplay.

Also, Idina can outsing mostly anyone, so it's no wonder it was a huge hit.

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Tangled is better although im not necessarily sure why the two are always put up against each other

I liked frozen fine enough though

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
It would be nice if we had one of these "the popular thing you like is shit, actually" threads that actually presented a detailed argument.

Frozen is a Disney film, the first to my mind, that centered the story on two female leads and broke with tradition in undermining the usual two people meet and fall in love story.

Let it go speaks to how a lot of women are told to keep their emotions in check, and how society enforces a lot of restrictions that are only for their own comfort. It is certainly more than shallow princess story and I think that's why it spoke to a lot of people, that plus the songs are genuinely great.

Now, of course, that doesn't mean it is my fav animated film or that it isn't open to criticism. However, unless your criticism is more than just "I watched it and I didn't like it" I'm not sure what you think you are adding to the discourse.

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah it's awesome. Seriously great. It's no Moana, and personally I prefer Tangled, but Frozen is top tier on almost every level.

OP
OP
Huncho_Houdini
Dec 31, 2017
It would be nice if we had one of these "the popular thing you like is shit, actually" threads that actually presented a detailed argument.

Frozen is a Disney film, the first to my mind, that centered the story on two female leads and broke with tradition in undermining the usual two people meet and fall in love story.

Let it go speaks to how a lot of women are told to keep their emotions in check, and how society enforces a lot of restrictions that are only for their own comfort. It is certainly more than shallow princess story and I think that's why it spoke to a lot of people, that plus the songs are genuinely great.

Now, of course, that doesn't mean it is my fav animated film or that it isn't open to criticism. However, unless your criticism is more than just "I watched it and I didn't like it" I'm not sure what you think you are adding to the discourse.

Did you read the OP? I do give reasons my guy but I ain't gonna write a thesis on it. Nowhere do I say that it's shit. Weirdly defensive post.

Jun 24, 2019
It's a nice movie but the hype for it was extreme, most of us can agree that the sequel sucks.

Moana is another league beyond Frozen and Tangled. Like it shouldn't be compared to the two mentioned because it's that good.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Did you read the OP? I do give reasons my guy but I ain't gonna write a thesis on it. Nowhere do I say that it's shit. Weirdly defensive post.

I did the only thing I would consider as actual criticism is that the sister's relationship is under developed. I would agree with that. Otherwise it's just "why does everyone like this?" The answer to which is fairly obvious, people like different things.

I'm not defensive about Frozen, I'm just tired of thread after thread of people decrying entertainment other people like and not even bothering to detail their thoughts.

I'm not asking for a thesis but at least give me an abstract. Otherwise it just feels like you are looking for people to agree with you, which I'm sure you can find via google.

Deleted member 69501

Banned
May 16, 2020
Underrated ? How exactly is it being rated in general? It's a good movie that received decent reception. Nothing over or underated about it.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Winter and magic. I liked it before seeing it.
I thought the second should have gone celestial. Maybe Frozen 3: Seasonal Queens..
Into the Unknown is the best non-Olaf song. Elsa can belt out note or two though.

Weston

Oct 29, 2017
If you don't love the songs then you're not going love Frozen. They're definitely the highlight of the movie. But I think the characters are charming and while the story is not quite as good as Pixars best, it is still quite good.

I'd rank it below Moana and Coco, but above Zootopia.

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. It is. The nonstop talk about this movie hasn't been matched by any other Disney movie that followed, in my experience. I also don't think the music is that great. It's a decent movie still.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
Great movie, i agree Tangled is better.

Still cant believe how bad Frozen 2 was.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Damn y'all got really strong opinions about Frozen of all things. It's pretty good. Frozen 2 is pretty good too.