• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anas

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Homophobia
Wanting a female character to be a lesbian so bad is sick and horny.

I'm very fine with her not having a love interest just like the girl in Brave.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I have watched this movie at least ten times and totally forgot her love interest, Li Shang.

It would actually be accurate to say that romance wasn't the focal point, same as Frozen.

Alternatively, you don't remember it because it shouldn't have been in the movie, and the fact that they felt the need to shoe-horn it in is a sign of the times during which Mulan was made.

Oct 25, 2017
They care way too much about global distribution to ever make any film projected to make $1B+ have overt LGBT themes.

And since Disney only makes billion-dollar movies now...
I mean Disney through ABC had Mulan, Red Riding Hood, Dorothy, Captain Hook's and Robin Hood's daughters all lesbian.
This was a prime-time Disney series for years

tumblr_o5uejulC6n1qh1pn2o3_500.gif

tumblr_o5t3im4hx61taf6o9o1_500.gif

tumblr_o5t3im4hx61taf6o9o2_500.gif

tumblr_o5uejulC6n1qh1pn2o2_500.gif

tumblr_p77y8cY7MO1xq2r7qo2_500.gif

Last edited:

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I mean Disney through ABC had Mulan, Red Riding Hood, Dorothy, Captain Hook's and Robin Hood's daughters all lesbian.

A primetime Disney series that relied heavily on the US market for profitability. ABC has been better than most about progressive content, but if they were reliant on international markets for those shows to be sustainable? No way.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017

Once Upon a Time was super weird in the later seasons though. The Disney tie seemingly got a lot stronger but made some things complicated. All the fairy tale characters seemed to have original backstories and personalities except for some select few.

Elsa and Anna were clearly the Disney characters with the backstory the film gave them. Same could be said with Merida. Mulan though was definitely not the Disney version of Mulan and was much more an original character.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with this. This actually shows children that a relationship is not the most important thing there is. Which the first one was kind of messaging as well.

Okay, but it's awfully convenient that they decided to do this with the Princess / Queen with a strong LGBTQ fanbase and hopes she might reflect that. I suppose Moana didn't get paired up, either.

Oct 25, 2017
Once Upon a Time was super weird in the later seasons though. The Disney tie seemingly got a lot stronger but made some things complicated. All the fairy tale characters seemed to have original backstories and personalities except for some select few.

Elsa and Anna were clearly the Disney characters with the backstory the film gave them. Same could be said with Merida. Mulan though was definitely not the Disney version of Mulan and was much more an original character.
Meg and Hercules were so bad lol.

Sebalt

Oct 28, 2017
That's totally fine but I guess that also saves them some ideas for a third movie/Disney+ series.

Last edited:

Albatross

Nov 11, 2017
Very expected, Disney wouldn't dare go against conservatives and China in such a big release.
Too bad because a princess movie with two sisters would have been the best chance to have a gay princess: one straight, one gay, so "everyone" is happy. A movie starring one lesbian princess alone is even more impossible.

What I wasn't expecting is that most of post here are happy that it didn't happen in Frozen 2. For a moment I thought I was browsing 4chan or other similar places, which I'm sure are very happy about this.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A bad ass queen who doesn't need anyone to validate her existence is a powerful message to deliver. Far too many Girls Straight or Gay fall into the cycle of feeling they must have someone in their life in order to be validated and have meaning.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
it'd have been nice to have LGBTQ representation among something as huge as disney princesses and elsa would have lend itself to just that, being established and successful already but w/o a partner.
Normalizing homosexuality for children would go a long ways for society. Don't think you can call it cowardly by disney however since there was no telling before that Elsa has any romantic interest

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Fine with me. Not every character needs to be in a relationship despite what the shippers may think.

This. People need to stop demanding everyone has to have a relationship. People are defined more then who their partner is.
Also why the hell can we not have platonic relationships? Shit Anna didn't even need to fall in love either.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
An asexual/aromantic Elsa could be just as important as a lgbtq+ one as long as they follow through with it in execution.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She can be an LGBT icon without actually being a confirmed lesbian. Frozen was a metaphor ffs

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Frankly the first movie being ultimately about sisterly love was one of the most refreshing parts of it.

I'm glad that's not changing.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I don't think Disney ever intended for Elsa to be a LGBT icon or "Let It Go" to be an iconic pro-LGBT song. The LGBT community just took to the song and Disney didn't dissuade it, because money. But there's not really any hints that she is meant to be gay in Frozen, so it shouldn't actually be surprising that isn't where they're taking the character.

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Dismissing LGBT representation as pandering.
I never liked when some in the LGBTQ community takes characters and wants to make them gay. I'm bi myself and it's not something you can choose to be, so it feels a bit weird that they want to make a character gay.

If you want to have gay or bi characters make the characters like that from the start. Don't just take existing characters and make them gay because of fans. That's just pandering.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Tentpole blockbusters are never going to risk burning territories like China and Russia with explicit LGBT themes.

Don't expect much in Thor 4 that they can't scrub out for international release.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I never liked when some in the LGBTQ community takes characters and wants to make them gay. I'm bi myself and it's not something you can choose to be, so it feels a bit weird that they want to make a character gay.

If you want to have gay or bi characters make the characters like that from the start. Don't just take existing characters and make them gay because of fans. That's just pandering.
?

Since her sexuality was never explored in the first movie, who's to say what she would be? She's not a real person, ultimately she is who the word say she is...

That said, I already think it's fine if she's portrayed aromantic as she was in the first. It's just as important for asexual/aromantic individuals to have characters in media, and women get the shorter end of that stick.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
First post nails it. Pretty dumb to shit on Disney for not indulging your fantasy.
If we were talking about a straight character, sure, they've had enough relationship drama even in Disney stuff. If Elsa is gay, it wouldn't hurt to portray that more clearly on screen, and as such it isn't all that dumb to ask clearer gay representation from the biggest (western) entertainment company in the world who have so far been really horrible about it (even cutting that away when the creators added such in)

Oct 27, 2017
This is... fine. Lesbian representation would have been fantastic, but it's also important to have prominent female characters not defined by their relationships. I don't think fans are wrong for wanting Elsa to get a girlfriend, but it wasn't really a realistic thing to expect from Disney for this sort of film.

No. It would not have been "pandering". We don't know what Elsa's sexuality is at all. If someday Elsa ends up with a man, is that pandering to the heterosexual community? Because that would be "making her straight" as much as a girlfriend would be "making her gay".

Attitudes like this are heteronormative bullshit that reinforce LGBT identities as being weird and different and less valid.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017

Surely what you're implying there is that straight is the "default" setting? Deciding to make a character gay is exactly the same as deciding to make a character straight

She can be an LGBT icon without actually being a confirmed lesbian. Frozen was a metaphor ffs

While I don't think Disney are obliged to put Elsa in a relationship, it really sucks how we always have to read between the lines and pick up on metaphors while straight people have had unapologetically straight couples in media for as long as we've had animated Disney movies

Last edited:

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017

Characters aren't real mate. When is "the start", anyway? Gotta come out in your first scene or you're straight forever?

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Don't worry. I can see them pulling a J.K. Rowling on this. After Frozen 4 or so, once the movies have long worn out their welcome and Disney has drained every possible dime out of this franchise, one of the screenwriters will come forward and go, "Hey, guys! Y'know, Elsa was totally gay the whole time, right? 'Cause she was!"
Once Upon a Time was never canon.
Tentpole blockbusters are never going to risk burning territories like China and Russia with explicit LGBT themes.

Don't expect much in Thor 4 that they can't scrub out for international release.
Thor Love and Thunder

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I actually hate how most blockbusters feel the need to shoehorn arbitrary romance in because they think "the normies" won't watch a film without it. It's so patronising.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Good, love interests in most cases never add anything, even in normal movies and shows it's often shoe-horned in for some reason.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This response is correct.

This response is not correct.
Would you mind explaining what you mean? Because this sounds like a possible drive-by by just saying "cowards".

Elsa's fine as a princess without any love interest. I'm sure it'll change in the future.
There are plenty of female characters in mainstream media that do not have romantic interests. On the contrary, queer characters in maintream media, let alone big-budget Hollywood movies, are virtually non-existant. The LGBT community constantly have to ask or beg for representation, because they are not being represented. Breadcrumb bullshit JK-Rowling-style does not count.

Disney, being the monolith that they are, are in the best position to give massive representation to the LGBT community by making Elsa lesbian or queer. By not doing so, they are being cowards, because they are scared that the franchise's massive success will be negatively affected by making it appeal to the LGBT community.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Keeping her single is as far as they'll ever go with it. They care way too much about global distribution to ever make any film projected to make $1B+ have overt LGBT themes.

And since Disney only makes billion-dollar movies now...

Eternals is the next franchise Marvel Studios and Disney want to be a hit and that is not shying away from having a LGBT character.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Eternals is the next franchise Marvel Studios and Disney want to be a hit and that is not shying away from having a LGBT character.

They say that now, but Disney has tried to play that card before and it usually ends up being nothing, or it ends up being something they can cleanly edit out of the film for release in China with no impact on the main story.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Show us when and where Elsa was confirmed heterosexual.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Whilst the option to have a princess that doesn't have a romantic relationship is certainly fine... we have had Moana and Vanellope already this decade doing this role. A third is fine, but it's also not the first.

After Beauty and the Beast and Thor Ragnarok though, I'm not too surprised.

So what's going to happen with Anna and Kristoff then? Because D23 footage was apparantly a failed proposal attempt by Kristoff, there is probably going to be at least one wedding at the end of the film.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I am glad. Frozen felt different because of that. Instead of the cliche of relying on a loved one, it was about relying on your family.